FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke

Do you remember this?
Slowpoke, the users of Technic regard you in quite high esteem since you first started posting in our forum.
I was wrong in that statement. I was wrong about you. Mudslinging on Kaker on your reddit and assuring everyone you are the prince of goodness is not the way to go.
I lost any and all respect I ever had for you.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
I was way too gullible to think you are the "good guy".

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Slowpoke

Do you remember this?

I was wrong in that statement. I was wrong about you. Mudslinging on Kaker on your reddit and assuring everyone you are the prince of goodness is not the way to go.

That's a bit cruel. He IS trying to do what he thinks is best for the modding community, despite what it may seem like.

PDDnox

Jul 29, 2019
As long as each of the communities keeps theire own face, it would be good.
But at Minecon 2014 both Curse and FTB noted that it was an important aspect to keep.
Less time will be consumed by background work, and more could be focussed on packs and maps.

Just battle it out on the same client :)

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke

Do you remember this?

I have to say until the (now deleted) reddit post I too had over the past year thought I had misjudged.

Reactions: Mooseman9

AkenBosch

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. I've just made this account for the sole reason of sharing my opinion on this topic, so probably i will only use it for a couple of posts, but oh well... btw, prepare for a long post.

I've been playing vanilla Minecraft for 3 years now and only 2 weeks ago started to try out modded Minecraft (i got a bit bored with vanilla by now). As i've seen a load of Minecraft let's-players on youtube use Feed the beast modpacks, i've decided to give them a try and as a beginner started out with the "Unleashed" modpack. Needless to say, i was blown away by all the new posssibilities the included mods brought to the table and i'm playing Minecraft every day again since using FTB, so thanks for the awesomeness you guys made for all of us to enjoy :)

Now, to the new launcher and Curse partnership part. In my humble opinion, your launcher that is implemented right now, already does a good enough job on what it's supposed to do, namely download single mods and whole modpacks with one click. As far as downloading multiple mods with one click goes, i've seen comments on Curse's practice to require premium accounts in order to be able to download multiple WoW mods with a single click; i'd like to be optimistic just as much as the next guy, but from what i know about how the general corporate & business world (including Curse) functions, they will probably do the same with their version of the FTB launcher, if not outright in the start then most probably at a later point.

From my logic, many players that use a custom mix of mods already download, install and update them individually anyway, so imho it's not like they'd exactly need that functionality; the rest of us who use whole modpacks, would probably appreciate the launcher updating only individual mods instead of redownloading the whole modpack everytime there's an update, but since this only happens every couple of months and the download takes about 4 minutes (in my case at least), it's not such a big deal in the first place. Personally, i would prefer to download the whole modpack every couple of months instead of seeing annoying adds in my FTB launcher every single time i decide to play Minecraft (which means a couple of times per day), so i'll go out on a limb and hope that there will indeed remain some people who will continue to work on the current launcher and it's promised update for those of us who prefer to use a clunkier launcher instead of being forced to look at adds every time we want to play.

Btw, since i'm on the FTB launcher update subject: you guys (developers) seem to be very proud about the "open" aspect of FTB and minecraft modding, so i don't understand why the work which was already done towards the updated FTB launcher should be scrapped in favour of working on the new Curse launcher. Since Slowpoke already mentioned that the work on the current FTB launcher will continue for at least a while, i really hope you guys will stay true to the "open source" aspect when you switch to the Curse client and at least put the already existing work on the old client out for anybody to work and improve on as an alternative to the upcoming Curse launcher; in fact, you could even do that now (maybe you already did, don't know tbh).

Just an explanation on why i and probably some others would like to have this alternative in the future: i'm an older guy (33) and in regard to that "i've seen some ****", so to say. From what i know to be true, corporations and companies almost always put money & profit first, even when it means screwing their own clients over (even the oldest ones). Like some others mentioned, while it's true that Slowepoke and Lex want to do what is best for the players and modpack users, it's not necessarily what Curse wants to do as well. Yes, they'll repeatedly tell you that on the office meeting and in the following months, but when the deal (contract) is signed and you two become "advisors", Curse will be basicly free to do anything they deem to be in their best interest (aka earn money). They will probably start with ignoring your advices and recommendations about a premium client not being needed in order to download multiple mods at once; you'll be able to advise them on it, but they'll be free to ignore your advices and do as they please anyway.

While this may seem as naysaying and complaining even before we see how this deal turns out in practice, like i've already said, i've seen the above scenario turn out to be true on enough occasions in real life, so i simply can't ignore what i know has happened before to other projects (not just in the gaming business). I honestly hope that my fears will turn out as baseless and the partnership will indeed prove to be what's best for everyone in the FTB community, but like the saying goes, "better to be safe than sorry" - that's why i wrote this wall of text in the first place and that's why i hope that the regular launcher will remain available in the future as an alternative.

Greetings!

TLDR: i've spent 20 minutes typing this so you can at least spend 5 minutes reading it ;)

Last edited:

Andrej Savikin

Jul 29, 2019
I am only worried about 3 things.
1) Loosing my current position. (FTB wiki and stuff)
2) Curse rubbing ads in my face
3) Curse requiring me to have a Premium Membership in order to do anything.

Reactions: Padfoote

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
I am only worried about 3 things.
1) Loosing my current position. (FTB wiki and stuff)
2) Curse rubbing ads in my face
3) Curse requiring me to have a Premium Membership in order to do anything.
If you read the original post more carefully, you would realize that this has nothing to do with the wiki.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: QueWhat

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
We can totally blame Curse for not screening their ads to make sure they aren't malicious. It's also fun how you assume people who create malicious software are the kinds of people who wouldn't exploit every trick in the book, from fake download buttons to ads that simple bypass the clicking part.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure this is a failure waiting to happen. Hopefully Forge's license prevents any attempt to closed-source it.

Depending on their ad implementation they may have no control over the ads shown.

I play Dungeons & Dragons Online. They tried to add advertising to their forums a couple of years ago, and caused a whole furor when we, on the DDO forums, started getting blasted by competitor's ads such as for WoW and Rift (which had just gone public), as well as some ads that were proven to be malware gateways.

Turbine ended up firing that agency, which had written guarantees that the client had the ability to approve ad content. It turned out they were using a 3rd party feeder "service" that had no such ability.

Websites use these advertising packages all the time, and bogus advertising is constantly supplied until it is removed, if the hosting company is so motivated.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Andrej Savikin

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang makes Minecraft.
The modding community makes Minecraft good.

So, what do Curse and FTB make?

They make money off of the creativity of others.

They are hawkers on side of the road to playing modded Minecraft, peddling their branded trinkets and 'premium' services.
Sure, they're helpful if you get lost on that road, you can stop and and them for directions but, without that road - they wouldn't be there.

These two repugnant leeches are soul(less)mates.
I understand that Curse make money like this.
But how could FTB make money like this?
They offer you a 100% free service(no premium stuff) and they make money off it?
I actually think that they might just be loosing money just to pay for the servers. But slowpoke is cool enough to provide a free launcher(or platform if you will) that he codded himself!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Mojang makes Minecraft.
The modding community makes Minecraft good.

So, what do Curse and FTB make?

They make money off of the creativity of others.

They are hawkers on side of the road to playing modded Minecraft, peddling their branded trinkets and 'premium' services.
Sure, they're helpful if you get lost on that road, you can stop and and them for directions but, without that road - they wouldn't be there.

These two repugnant leeches are soul(less)mates.

What ever gave you the idea that FtB is making any money?

The FtB store just opened up, but that just pays webhosting and server fees. Everyone else is a volunteer.

snowshaddow

Jul 29, 2019
Im gonna admit, I skipped the last few pages of this thread. Mostly because I swear I had deja vu and read the same thing over and over.

curse is nothing more then a CURSE. I remember years back I tried using their crap for WoW, got a virus had to reinstall WoW. Now I cant say it was curse, but I know for a fact that once I installed their client all hell broke loose and shit hit the fan.

Their forums... Don't get me started. I dont know how many times I've gone to load a page from them, and only the top header with the ad loads and I have to refresh a few times before seeing the thread!!!

FTB merging with curse? Yeah okay, sounds good for the end user.. maybe.. Id love to see Slowpoke stay in control and not an "Advisor" as Advisors don't get any decision making powers over ANYTHING which could lead to terrible news for FTB. Infact should we just start calling FTB curse??

Goodluck to FTB no matter what happens though and fingers crossed, it goes perfectly for everyone. (Please god just no ads)

Reactions: Dorque and Padfoote
Status
Not open for further replies.