Rainbow Forest in FTB Monster is like hitting the jackpot

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, come on. Blue trees give you infite farmable LAPIS in a place where TINKER'S CONSTRUCT exists. It's basically a free full luck for any tool.

White trees give you infinite bonemeal, never need to kill skeletons or search for fertilizer materials again.

Black trees give you infinite ink sacs, eliminating all need for squids.

Also, the biome seems to spawn an ASSLOAD OF ANIMALS, I literally have over 100 mobs just right outside of my base all of different kinds. And don't forget the ever-changing sheeps.

Spawn in one of these and you are set for life!

What do you think?

This may or may not go in mod discussion, I apologize in advance if it's in the wrong posting place...

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Rainbow biomes have serious balance issues.

The whole thing with Lapis: I blame TiC. Lapis is NOT supposed to be for anything but dye and decoration. TiC decided to make lapis do something it doesn't.

It is true that TiC and DyeTrees' rainbow biome don't go well together. Disable the rainbow biome. And, realize: Dye Trees will give you farmable lapis, and farmable Bonemeal, and farmable ink sacks, without a rainbow biome. If those being farmable is a problem, you need to disable dye trees.

Yes, the large amounts of farm animals are one thing. But have you ever tried making a single biome mystcraft age with just rainbow biome? No hostile mobs spawned for me. At all.

Yes, a rainbow biome is the jackpot.
Normally, it's just farm animals, dyes, and decorations.
Squid ink is minor; bonemeal is more than minor.
Lots and lots of food animals ... well, seriously, by the time you find one you probably have an animal farm anyways.

No hostiles? Like mushroom biomes, but on land instead of hidden in the ocean.

===

Dye tree's big balance issue is bonemeal. I don't know a good answer; I don't think you can disable specific trees.

Ink sacks are a convenience; squids have never been a serious limit for me.

Lapis is TiC's fault for letting a decoration item be one of the most valuable things of all.

For the rainbow biome:
Farm animals, as I said, if you don't have a farm before you find one, you will afterwards.

And no hostiles was just too much; that is something I'd like a config option to turn off.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Rainbow biomes have serious balance issues.

The whole thing with Lapis: I blame TiC. Lapis is NOT supposed to be for anything but dye and decoration. TiC decided to make lapis do something it doesn't.

It is true that TiC and DyeTrees' rainbow biome don't go well together. Disable the rainbow biome. And, realize: Dye Trees will give you farmable lapis, and farmable Bonemeal, and farmable ink sacks, without a rainbow biome. If those being farmable is a problem, you need to disable dye trees.

Yes, the large amounts of farm animals are one thing. But have you ever tried making a single biome mystcraft age with just rainbow biome? No hostile mobs spawned for me. At all.

Yes, a rainbow biome is the jackpot.
Normally, it's just farm animals, dyes, and decorations.
Squid ink is minor; bonemeal is more than minor.
Lots and lots of food animals ... well, seriously, by the time you find one you probably have an animal farm anyways.

No hostiles? Like mushroom biomes, but on land instead of hidden in the ocean.

===

Dye tree's big balance issue is bonemeal. I don't know a good answer; I don't think you can disable specific trees.

Ink sacks are a convenience; squids have never been a serious limit for me.

Lapis is TiC's fault for letting a decoration item be one of the most valuable things of all.

For the rainbow biome:
Farm animals, as I said, if you don't have a farm before you find one, you will afterwards.

And no hostiles was just too much; that is something I'd like a config option to turn off.

I don't think disabling things is the answer as he's already started a world.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Quite a few mods make lapis useful, and well if you want mods to erm modify the game then you'll get new uses for useless/underused content. Likewise another mod might make new ways of getting a seemly useless resource.
Given the amount of mods out there- demanding every author to dance around each other in the name of perfect balance is physically impossible...

Welcome to the world of conceptual incompatibility my friends.

Reactions: zorn and MigukNamja

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, dye trees giving "pure dyes" instead of vanilla "other use dyes" makes the most sense.

Someone want to forward that to Reika? I know there's another mod out there that does add a full set of dyes, not sure which one it is.

There is a big difference between "Lets add to the game" and "lets change the game". Some people like "Terra-Firma-Craft". To me, it's a whole new game, not just a mod. I wouldn't use it with other things and expect balance.

Reactions: RedBoss

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather have the mod add their own color dyes so you won't be able to get easy lapiz, ink, bonemeal, cocoa etcetcetc
I don't really like DyeTrees though, at first it seems like a normal mod, but you'll quickly realize that it's very unbalanced

Especially when you compare it to squid power in 1.5. Having a tree farm that gives that full efficiency from MFR Bioreactors seems far more powerful than a rancher and some squid.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Especially when you compare it to squid power in 1.5. Having a tree farm that gives that full efficiency from MFR Bioreactors seems far more powerful than a rancher and some squid.

but I guess you can't really blame Reika, as I think DyeTrees hasn't been featured in any other major modpack yet, so there would ofcourse not be much balance between this and other mods. in the world of Rotarycraft I don't think DyeTrees is very unbalanced, but combine it with other mods and it is...

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
but I guess you can't really blame Reika, as I think DyeTrees hasn't been featured in any other major modpack yet, so there would ofcourse not be much balance between this and other mods. in the world of Rotarycraft I don't think DyeTrees is very unbalanced, but combine it with other mods and it is...
I don't really see it as unbalanced. There's very few mods that really benefit off of it to that extent, but benefit far more than most would want them to. Getting easy fortune on TiC tools is actually pretty nice, as i've always found it very annoying to do so without a gigantic amount of lapis. I think the mod that really makes DyeTrees unbalanced is MineFactory Reloaded.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Long before TiC came on the scene, Lapis was used in higher-end IC2 recipes in place of Redstone. The higher-tier energy crystal, for instance, was only balanced as long as Lapis was more scarce than redstone.

And, when TiC came on the scene, the amount of Lapis it took to get full Luck/Looting was (relatively) enormous. You either had get it get through dedicated hand-mining or else a lot of quarrying.

So, no, please don't blame TiC.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really see it as unbalanced. There's very few mods that really benefit off of it to that extent, but benefit far more than most would want them to. Getting easy fortune on TiC tools is actually pretty nice, as i've always found it very annoying to do so without a gigantic amount of lapis. I think the mod that really makes DyeTrees unbalanced is MineFactory Reloaded.
Sadly, Harvesters dont' harvest the leaves and planters don't even bother plating the trees.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the biome seems to spawn an ASSLOAD OF ANIMALS, I literally have over 100 mobs just right outside of my base all of different kinds. And don't forget the ever-changing sheeps.

By the way, does anyone know how to reduce the number of animal spawns in the Rainbow Forest Biomes? I looked at the config, but couldn't find anything.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Does the rainbow biome even spawn when using ATG + BOP generation? I've never seen one and i've flew around for ages.

Personally, I hope dyetrees moves over to optional/removed. I don't feel it fits very well with the pack.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, does anyone know how to reduce the number of animal spawns in the Rainbow Forest Biomes? I looked at the config, but couldn't find anything.

I believe you'll need to install an additional mod that controls the mob spawning to be able to do this.
I'm using http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1909304-164forge-mob-spawn-controls-2-back-better-than-ever/ myself and it allows you to control the entity spawning based on biomes. though I have not tried it out with the Rainbow forest as I currently have DyeTrees not installed

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MFR's Harvester does harvest the leaves if you told them to but will not yield you any saplings at all since all the leaves are harvested.

I have not tried the Project Red's trees yet, so I will withhold my statement there.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
It's my understanding -- this was true the last time I used TiC -- that you only needed to put _ONE_ lapis on a tool.

While it does not start at fortune 3, it will eventually improve itself up to fortune 3.

So you can just put whatever lapis you have to spare on. Then it's just a matter of time or use, never determined which. Probably use.

And seriously, on that server, lapis was never in short supply. Given a reason to mine it, we mined it.