Mekanism: Feature Request Thread

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Ok scrap my post and start from scratch(I assumed it was a network problem but nop).

Using EnderIO 0.4.6.157 and Atomic Science #154, UE core #187 and #486 of mekanism.

I can't charge EnderIO machines with universal cables for some reason.

Different setups:
Solar panel | universal cable | EnderIO machine
The universal cable doesn't light up and the machine doesn't charge.

Solar Panel | EnderIO machine
The machine charges up.

Solar Panel | Energy cube(with output set to the machine) | EnderIO machine
The machine charges up.

Solar Panel | universal cable | Energy cube | universal cable | EnderIO machine
The machine won't charge up.

I have a similar issue with the chemical extractor from Atomic Science but wasn't able to reproduce it at a small scale(all the setups above work for some reason), but this won't work:

2013_11_25_09_54_19.png

But for some reason this will(if I replace the energy cube with an UC it won't though):
2013_11_25_10_04_46.png

Note that all the solar panels(80 of them :p) are fully charged up with a buffer of 200kJ full.
It's quite an extensive network(451 transmitters, 135 acceptors), feeding IC2 exp machines, BC machines, AE network, factories etc.

edit:
I updated to #488 of mechanism, ender IO is still exactly the same.
But one interesting thing happened with the chemical extractor, I obviously had to restart the server and when I logged on it was working(with only UC)...
I broke it, replaced it and it wasn't working again...
I don't know what to think anymore, such a weird issue :p.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I have the same problem with Universal Cable not providing power to Ender IO's machines. Though, an energy cube has no issue outputting power to the machines in direct contact and also works with Ender IO's own energy conduits.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I tested the Digital Miner today. I have good news and bad news.
Bad:
-Uber fast (like, "oh crap if I connect this to a pipe and break it it would crash a server" fast) to the point of insanity
-Energy cost? lol u funneh
-Best Griefing Tool 2013
-Actually is so fast that you couldn't reasonably supply it with replacement blocks unless you had ANOTHER Digital Miner
[DOUBLEPOST=1385359883][/DOUBLEPOST]In other news, could we possibly have a blacklist mode on Logistical Sorters and Digital Miners? Like instead of "export these items only" we get "don't export these items only". Another suggestion would be to configure Silk Touch individually on items (to deal with things like Certus).

Zenthon, regarding some of the issues you are having:

- The mining speed of the Digital Miner is slow and steady. If you are getting "breakneck fast" mining speeds you have actually upgraded it to that point, and probably set it to a max mining area in the process. In other words, this is a problem you directly created, not one the Digital Miner started out creating.

- The energy cost for the Digital Miner is completely configurable via the .. yep that's right, "Mekanism Configuration File"! If you do not like the base energy cost, change it there. Do not that putting the Digital Miner into "Silk Touch mode" will make it consume 6 times the base energy amount (i.e. a LOT more)

- The Digital Miner obeys server plugins that restrict ordinary unauthorized mining. This means that only servers not using "Property Rights" mods or similar would even remotely have griefing trouble with it. Also it should be noted that there are far easier, more portable and more energy efficient ways to 'grief' someone still ("Equal Trade Focus" from Thaumcraft 4, hello?) so please refrain from such hyperbole if you could.

- Again.. the starting mining speed for the Digital Miner is rather slow and methodical. It sounds like you just crafted 8 speed upgrades and maxed the machine out. What exactly were you expecting from doing this? I recommend you go to the "S:9x" indicator on the right side of the Digital Miner's GUI and click on that line. This will allow you to retrieve your speed upgrades one by one, downgrading the machine to a more regulatable and handable speed.

LASTLY: It sounds like you are using "*" as an Ore Dictionary filter, mining anything and everything (at maximum speed no less) in the Digital Miner's area. It was designed with the goal for targeted mining, pulling out only ores and resources while leaving the rest of the landscape untouched. I highly recommend you consider removing your "*" wildcard OreDictionary filter and putting in something akin to "*ore*".

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Using EnderIO 0.4.6.157 and Atomic Science #154, UE core #187 and #486 of mekanism.

Do you mean EnderIO 0.4.6.57? There is no 157? If this is the case, then you have a much older version of EnderIO, I recommend you update your download and test again if you could please.

If the issue is STILL persisting, please go to the Mekanism GitHub and post an issue? If this is still a problem with a recent version of EnderIO, we need to get it fixed quick.

(Link to the GitHub: https://github.com/aidancbrady/Mekanism/issues?direction=desc&page=1&sort=updated&state=open )

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
I'm an idiot, I updated to the 1.6.2 version.
Still running the 1.6.4 version now(EnderIO-1.6.4-0.4.6.78), same issue.
I posted the issue on the github.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I'm an idiot, I updated to the 1.6.2 version.
Still running the 1.6.4 version now(EnderIO-1.6.4-0.4.6.78), same issue.
I posted the issue on the github.
Thank you VERY much for posting that issue, Ripley. Doing so helps Aidan iron the bugs out of Mekanism even faster!

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Zenthon, regarding some of the issues you are having:

- The mining speed of the Digital Miner is slow and steady. If you are getting "breakneck fast" mining speeds you have actually upgraded it to that point, and probably set it to a max mining area in the process. In other words, this is a problem you directly created, not one the Digital Miner started out creating.

- The energy cost for the Digital Miner is completely configurable via the .. yep that's right, "Mekanism Configuration File"! If you do not like the base energy cost, change it there. Do not that putting the Digital Miner into "Silk Touch mode" will make it consume 6 times the base energy amount (i.e. a LOT more)

- The Digital Miner obeys server plugins that restrict ordinary unauthorized mining. This means that only servers not using "Property Rights" mods or similar would even remotely have griefing trouble with it. Also it should be noted that there are far easier, more portable and more energy efficient ways to 'grief' someone still ("Equal Trade Focus" from Thaumcraft 4, hello?) so please refrain from such hyperbole if you could.

- Again.. the starting mining speed for the Digital Miner is rather slow and methodical. It sounds like you just crafted 8 speed upgrades and maxed the machine out. What exactly were you expecting from doing this? I recommend you go to the "S:9x" indicator on the right side of the Digital Miner's GUI and click on that line. This will allow you to retrieve your speed upgrades one by one, downgrading the machine to a more regulatable and handable speed.

LASTLY: It sounds like you are using "*" as an Ore Dictionary filter, mining anything and everything (at maximum speed no less) in the Digital Miner's area. It was designed with the goal for targeted mining, pulling out only ores and resources while leaving the rest of the landscape untouched. I highly recommend you consider removing your "*" wildcard OreDictionary filter and putting in something akin to "*ore*".
-On speed: The issue with the speed isn't that I set it that high, it's that I COULD set it that high. All I did was whack in 8 speed/energy ups (not overly expensive even before automining). See my concern in a later answer.
-On energy cost: Even in Silk Touch mode the Miner's energy cost for what it did was insane (stack and 1/2 per second) and I only tested it there. I shudder to think of what it would do in normal mode. In addition we all know that you shouldn't balance things off the ability to config file them (*cough*boilers*cough*).
-On griefing: Ok, sweet. I wasn't sure though since most mechanics like this (the aforementioned wand of equal trade) are well-known for this.
-On speed upgrades: Wait, you actually EXPECT people to NOT USE speed upgrades? What logic is this? Just because something is balanced to start with doesn't mean it can be broken if you invest some time. Also, by the time you can get a digital miner you should be able to max the speed/energy on this thing with ease, at which point it is just brokenly fast.

-On "LASTLY": Actually, I tested with coal on silktouch (into 4 maxed elite factories, which it promptly outproduced) and almost every ore on silktouch.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
...In addition we all know that you shouldn't balance things off the ability to config file them (*cough*boilers*cough*).

If you are coming into this conversation with this attitude then I will just stop responding as there will be no pleasing you no matter what I say.

I think the power usage is just fine, I think the miner works GREAT without even needing to speed it up to max, and finally I believe nothing about it needs to be changed as it can be adjusted via the config files.. just like every other mod does it.

That's all from me in response, Zenthon. Good day!

Reactions: PierceSG

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
a feature i would really like to see added is a stone generator. this would be really helpful in unison with the digital miner

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
If you are coming into this conversation with this attitude then I will just stop responding as there will be no pleasing you no matter what I say.
Well, hopefully you at least see this:

What I'm trying to say is that the default configs need to be at least balanced because that's what 95% of people use or know about (I know how to edit configs and I only change about 3 total, usually related to Thaumcraft because I want the Cheat Mode Thauminomicon for my Test World). I shouldn't have to go into the configs to make something balanced.

In all, it's great and balanced if used with no speed ups, but give it those and it just breaks. Maybe disable speed upgrades on the miner?[DOUBLEPOST=1385411563][/DOUBLEPOST]
a feature i would really like to see added is a stone generator. this would be really helpful in unison with the digital miner
Thermal Expansion adds one, and TE3+Mek is an amazing combo. Now, a DIRT generator would be cool.

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities import node will also produce cobblestone if set on a piece of cobblestone between lava and water(it's really fast and you can add miner upgrades to make it even faster).
As for a dirt generator, I personally use wheat and IC2 exp, if you macerate a piece of biosomething... I can't remember the name right now(it's basically crafted with 8 pieces of wheat like a chest) you get 8 dirt.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities import node will also produce cobblestone if set on a piece of cobblestone between lava and water(it's really fast and you can add miner upgrades to make it even faster).
As for a dirt generator, I personally use wheat and IC2 exp, if you macerate a piece of biosomething... I can't remember the name right now(it's basically crafted with 8 pieces of wheat like a chest) you get 8 dirt.
8 wheat/cane/whatever in a ring makes 1 plantball -> 1 plantball makes 8 dirt in a macerator. Free wheat = free dirt.

Pythonxz

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone post a picture of their Digital Miner setup? For the life of me, I cannot get it to run at all.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone post a picture of their Digital Miner setup? For the life of me, I cannot get it to run at all.
Power can input from any side. Inventory with filler items goes on the square on the top. Items export out the square on the back.

Owen LaGarde

Jul 29, 2019
First I gotta say, this is some of the nicest work I've seen in a long time, Mek by itself has really sold me on the UE collection.

So, my admittedly minor quibble: I'd like to use Mekanism power storage items, particularly various tiers of energy cubes, as custom recipe components. The cubes can't be uniquely specified by itemid:meta tuples as implemented by Custom Recipes. Any thoughts on how this might/should/shouldn't be done?

Pythonxz

Jul 29, 2019
Power can input from any side. Inventory with filler items goes on the square on the top. Items export out the square on the back.
I've done that, and it doesn't do anything. The energy cube does supply the power, but the miner never runs when I hit start.

BT5o2r3.png

Last edited:

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Simple request that will save my sanity.

Color select on machines (IE the sorter) make shift+click or Right click or something go back one selection step so when you over click you don't have to cycle through all of them again.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Simple request that will save my sanity.

Color select on machines (IE the sorter) make shift+click or Right click or something go back one selection step so when you over click you don't have to cycle through all of them again.
And a reset button, like how with TE you shift-click the middle one. Shift-click could be reset and right click could be go back.