JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Are any of these options good for using in the vanilla launcher for 1.6.4?

Posted on my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Are any of these options good for using in the vanilla launcher for 1.6.4?

I'm using
Code:
-Xmx3G -Xms512m -XX:PermSize=128M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
Haven't made any changes to it since 1.6.2 though lol

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
You really don't need much for vanilla. If you mean using the vanilla launcher for modpacks, use the server arguments.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
You really don't need much for vanilla. If you mean using the vanilla launcher for modpacks, use the server arguments.

Yeah, I meant using the vanilla launcher for a custom modpack. I'll try using the server arguments, thanks.

190nm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running a local server for FTB and Im getting stuttering issues where my framerate is just fine, it's not taking hits; but the game is still laggy because it freezes for a few frames every couple of seconds

I'd love to look into JVM arguements but every one I use fails to launch the server, and I can't even read the command prompt because it closes too quickly

My Specs are
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.16GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-25)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
238GB SAMSUNG SSD 840 Pro Series (SSD)
932GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA)
That's the problem. I have no idea how to use the arguements

As far as I know, I just put them into the server start.bat like this
5eGmQ.png
but when I try to launch it it gives me this error shortly before closing out. The server does not launch.
5eGrG.png

Quoting this from my support thread since no one seems to reply there

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
It should be

Java "arguments here without quotes" -jar ftbserver.jar nogui

On one line. On the next line put:

Pause

To prevent to cmd window from closing. Sorry, I'm on my phone, or I would make this look pretty.

Reactions: lavarthan

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Updated arguments to fix some bad stutter from GC and hopefully the massive delay for rendering and chunk loading due to forgetting certain arguments in the first set. FailFish #BlameJJW

edit:i retract that. its not as bad, but still happens seems mostly around region borders (i believe.) I'll keep looking into it. now I #BlameUnv

Last edited:

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Updated arguments to fix some bad stutter from GC and hopefully the massive delay for rendering and chunk loading due to forgetting certain arguments in the first set. FailFish #BlameJJW

edit:i retract that. its not as bad, but still happens seems mostly around region borders (i believe.) I'll keep looking into it. now I #BlameUnv

The new arguments rocks Eyamaz. They kicked lags on my modded ftb so hard now I got 50ish fps rather than 15ish. They are beasts. Thanks Eyamaz :)

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
8, or 8.1?

If your not using 8.1 I suggest upgrading. I was told there were issues with 8. If your running 8.1 be sure you are running java7 update 45 x64. If the problem persists, PM me the full console log.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a weird performance issue, and I've tried a number of approaches, but I just can't isolate it. Hope someone can provide insight or point me in the right direction. I'm sorry if this isn't the wrong place to post this.

The basic problem is what *looks* like tick lag. I get occasional rubber-banding, a chest will take like a second to open, etc. However, this is on a fresh world... no abundance of machines (actually zero machines).

And, just to get all the traditional cliches out of the way, I'm not new to this (modded minecraft or performance analysis), I have a powerful PC (core i5-3570K 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX670) running 64-bit Ubuntu 13.04 on SSD, there are no other programs hogging CPU, RAM or I/O, viruses are not an issue (I'm on Linux), etc etc...

The modpack is my own, with admittedly a very heavy load of mods. However, this is not something new. My system has run this many mods (close to 180) without trouble in the past. The other item of note regarding mods is that I'm running bleeding edge, up-to-the-minute, everything. Every mod is the very latest dev/hot-off-the-press version, unless it blows up in my face and then I downgrade. Yes, I'm ok with living dangerously.

So at this point if you're thinking, "Well, how can we tell you what mod is causing the problem", I'm not asking for that. I'm asking for expert advice to help *me* figure out what mod is causing the problem. I'm looking for the methodology for finding the answer, not the answer itself.

My Java settings at the moment are :
Code:
-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=512m

I have tried Eyamaz' full stanza of settings, but it seemed to add some bad stuttering. Reducing it to the basics above seems to provide me with the best performance.

Things I've tried:

- Running Vanilla minecraft, it runs smoov' like buttah
- Running a fresh install of the latest Resonant Rise modpack. I *think* I see a lesser version of the same problem, not 100% sure, and I didn't stick with it long enough to confirm. I may try that again.
- Graphical tweaks of every conceivable variety. Optifine, no-optifine.
- Linux OS-level analysis. Basic stuff with 'top' and 'strace-ing' the java process (which was a total dead end) but nothing jumps out at me. No obvious CPU or RAM issues. No I/O problem.
- I've installed ProfMobius Opis, but it focuses on ticking entities, and... well, I have none.
- I've installed VisualVM and I'm looking at the various screens, but I'm not a Java guy at all, and I can't see anything there so far. Admittedly I'm not sure what to look for. This is perhaps the area I would like the most help with. The monitoring graphs spike up and down in what *seems* to me normal fashion.

So... yeah, TL;DR: What would be important tell-tales to look for in Visual VM for one thing? What might be a typical cause of rubber-banding and apparent tick-lag in a new, machine-free world?

Thanks in advance.