JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Manetheren1012

Jul 29, 2019
I tried that and a black screen came up after the ftb animation, and it didnt seem to load. does this mean that is doesnt work

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
while these options work ok on the regular FTB launcher, I tried on another launcher and I get a strange error:
Code:
2013-11-24 19:48:42 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Unable to launch
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:131)
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraftforge/event/world/WorldEvent$Load
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:181)
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:83)
    ... 6 more

Launcher runs minecraft with zero errors without the options.

Ideas? suggestions?

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
while these options work ok on the regular FTB launcher, I tried on another launcher and I get a strange
Launcher runs minecraft with zero errors without the options.

Ideas? suggestions?
The arguments for the FTB launcher have been customized to include (or was it exclude) specific things that the launcher passes itself. The arguments that you will probably want to use with the other launcher are the server ones. That is what is suggested for vanilla. If you want help with arguments with other launchers Eyamaz has already stated that he does not use the other launcher(s) and probably never will be able to provide arguments for the other launchers for that reason.

Last edited:

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
For 32 bit systems, the size of Xmx/Xms depends on your system. Macs, for example, can go up to 2000m; Linux varies, and some people can get 2500m. I've heard from some users of Microsoft Windows that 1500m works. (there is probably variation based on xp, vista, 7, or 8)

Would you reckon that a 64bit Windows with 4 GB system memory could run the fully specced arguments, assuming it's only the client connecting to a remote server and nothing else is running in the background?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know.

1. How big is your mod pack? Vanilla doesn't need much memory; modpacks can get big.
2. What else is running in the background? You said nothing -- that's good. But the OS does things for/by itself.

Reasonably speaking, I don't think any microsoft system will want more than 1.21 GB of memory for normal operations. But do be aware that as of windows 7, microsoft artificially downgrades the reported performance specs of any system with less than 6 GB of ram -- they are trying to force bigger memory systems to consumers.

Your best answer:
1. Probably, and
2. Try it.

Sigh. I remember when 4 MB was a big system.
I remember when the OS would fit on a floppy. ("What's a floppy?").
I remember when a 1 GB PPC machine would out perform a 4 GB intel machine. ("What's a PPC?")

I remember when advanced, state of the art windowing OS's would come in pizza boxes that ranged from 8 to 32 MB, and only the 8 was underpowered. ("I know what a pizza box is!" "No, you don't")

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm old, my first computer didn't have a hard drive, and I only recently through it out after my son was born. Two 5.25 drives, Hercules graphics, MSDos 3 (or was it 4.) Back then MSDos shipped with this neat little program called GWBasic. It was my first exposure to programming and my father went out if his way to find a book on Basic programming for me.

@Omicron BT references are ok. I own over $20k worth of gaming stuff. Sadly, very few minitures anymore. :(

Edit: my phone keeps autocorrecting threw/throw to through... Wtf.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I'm old, my first computer didn't have a hard drive, ... Two 5.25 drives

That's not old. Old is unscrewing the microphone and earpiece off of a telephone, hooking alligator cables to the cassette player and the exposed phone wires, and using "csave" to transfer stuff at 500 baud because you can't afford a 300 baud modem.

Yes, I've been hacking for that long.

Reactions: Veirilli

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Can you tell me how do I set a higher minimum? I have the maximum RAM slider set to 2.0GB.
Thaks for answering btw.

What launcher are you using? If it's not FTB or multimc then there is not much I can do. I would suggest opening a thread in support as this thread is specifically for the discussion of the jvm and arguments to increase performance, not general tech support.

vibeHD

Jul 29, 2019
What launcher are you using? If it's not FTB or multimc then there is not much I can do. I would suggest opening a thread in support as this thread is specifically for the discussion of the jvm and arguments to increase performance, not general tech support.

Im running the FTB Launcher v1.2.7
Im just asking for help as the arguments do not work for me. I get that log you saw before.

DropDeadProxy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I'm using your FTB server configuration and I'm still getting "Server can't keep up" errors. Any idea why?

Server Spec

16Gb RAM
CPU - FX8350

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Im running the FTB Launcher v1.2.7
Im just asking for help as the arguments do not work for me. I get that log you saw before.
Hrm, I look into that when I get home from work.

Hi,

I'm using your FTB server configuration and I'm still getting "Server can't keep up" errors. Any idea why?

Server Spec

16Gb RAM
CPU - FX8350

You should only get those when the world is first generated or at server restart due to the heavy amount of early compiling I'm forcing the jvm to perform. If they are happening after that, let me know.

DropDeadProxy

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm, I look into that when I get home from work.

You should only get those when the world is first generated or at server restart due to the heavy amount of early compiling I'm forcing the jvm to perform. If they are happening after that, let me know.

Its been happening since I started my server.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm get me a copy of the forge-server-0 log and I'll take a look. That shouldn't be happening.