Suggest Mods for FTB Here

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCube

Jul 29, 2019
As the current developer of TreeCapitator, I'm working on adding additional options to try and balance out the mod. If you can provide any points on what makes TreeCap unbalanced in the eyes of the powers that be, I will absolutely be listening and taking valid suggestions under consideration.

See here for a current list of requested enhancements: https://github.com/bspkrs/bspkrs.treecapitator/issues?state=open

Edit: I should have searched through the thread before I posted (obviously)... I see now that the reason it won't be considered is to favor a custom item from another mod (which makes sense).

Perhaps one way of balancing it out would to make it an enchantment for axes. If you wanted to do levels of enchantment each level could cut down larger trees in one hit. Regular trees for level 1, level 5 being the huge fir trees from ExtraBiomesXL. Regardless if it makes it into FTB I think that would help it out with other servers/modpacks.

Reactions: mr_vit

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
As the current developer of TreeCapitator, I'm working on adding additional options to try and balance out the mod. If you can provide any points on what makes TreeCap unbalanced in the eyes of the powers that be, I will absolutely be listening and taking valid suggestions under consideration.

See here for a current list of requested enhancements: https://github.com/bspkrs/bspkrs.treecapitator/issues?state=open

Edit: I should have searched through the thread before I posted (obviously)... I see now that the reason it won't be considered is to favor a custom item from another mod (which makes sense).

I am under the impression it won't be considered because it is too easy to adjust the config to ensure a player never needs an axe again.

DrVesuvius

Jul 29, 2019
Open Letter to Slowpoke

Firstly, thank you for coming onto this thread and clarifying a few things. I hope you manage to find time to read this post, written in the spirit of friendly and open communication with no drama or nerdrage in sight, and give what I'm going to say some consideration. I'm nobody in the grand scheme of things.. no public youtube channel, no gaming blog, no webcomic. Just an ordinary guy who plays minecraft to relax and likes the idea of a heavily modded game bundle. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, nor do I think that the FTB team (or the original modders) owe me anything.

From all the buzz I've seen online about it, there does seem to be a big disconnect between what a lot of people think Feed The Beast is and your own vision for the project. Paraphrasing what you've said here (and please do correct me if I've misunderstood), your primary focus is on the custom adventure maps, and all the other subprojects, like the launcher and the mod packs are there to support them. You've stated that Balkon's Weapons Mod (which I admit is my personal "want to have") would not be used in the maps, and therefore has no place in the Feed The Beast mod pack. Fair enough. It is your project (and I mean "your" in the general sense: I've no idea about the current FTB leadership, whether it's a collaborative effort or a one-man-one-vote-and-Slowpoke's-the-man deal :)) You have every right to work on what you want to work on.

But..

What a lot of people seem to think FTB is, and what they're hoping for (myself included) is quite frankly a legit updated version of The Mod Pack That Shall Never Be Spoken Of. Maybe not 100% exactly the same selection of mods but essentially a nicely bundled, cohesive collection of mods that play nicely together and enhance the possibilities of the game. Maybe that wasn't what you set out to produce, but that's what I think a lot of people are expecting. (As an aside, I think it's no coincidence that when you hit the FTB website, there's no "About" or "What Is Feed The Beast" to explain what it is. Just a thought?) Right or wrong, when these expectations rub up against your original, different project goals, that's when you get friction like we've seen in this thread.

Alright, so you just need to post a clear mission statement on the FTB landing page, and we're all good. Right?

Maybe but..

You're in the process of building something that is 85-90% of what a lot of people are hoping and asking for. Would it not be worth taking a step back and broadening the scope a little bit to consider things that, while having no place in the FTB maps would enhance the mod pack in its own right a stand-alone entity. You have the opportunity to make an awful lot of people happy by stepping beyond your original goals.

I know you're never going to make everyone happy, the internet being what it is, and for everyone who'll want Equivalent Exchange included, there'll be someone else cursing it as unbalancing and overpowered. And I'm not merely whining for the inclusion of My Favourite Mod, though I'm going to allow myself one paragraph to make the case for it below. If you decide that it doesn't enhance the game, or is unbalancing, or won't play well with others, or one of a host of other reasons not to include it, then fair enough. But I'm hoping that you'll at least start considering mods in the wider context than "it has no place in the FTB maps"

Now, if you've read all this, please just think about it for a moment. If you decide the answer is still no, that you want to continue to focus on the maps and people can take the resultant mod pack or leave it, then fair enough. It's your right to work on the project you want to work on, nobody has the right to demand anything else. But I do hope you'll at least consider broadening your scope to give a lot of people what they really want.

My case for Balkon's Weapons Mod: I see Minecraft and by extension Tek... The Mod Pack That Shall Never Be Spoken Of, and by extension the Feed The Beast modpack, all as excellent platforms for doing Steampunky things. Steampunks are by nature creative types, and the Brass Goggles steampunk forums have about four different Minecraft/TMPTSNBSO servers run by members. Now in addition to a dazzling array of melee weapons, Balkon's mod has a couple of gunpowder weapons which really fit in well with the steampunk theme. They are not uber powerful, while they are one-hit kills on most common mobs they are very slow to reload and limited range. But they are weapons from the early industrial age, that fit nicely conceptually alongside Heath-Robinson-esque contraptions of Buildcraft pipes and Industrial Craft machines. More importantly, they make an incredibly satisfying BOOM when fired. In the TMPTSNBSO world I'm playing at the moment, I have a mining laser for work, but for defence I pull out my trusty musket (with bayonet). It just feels more aesthetically right. That, sir, is the experience I would like to be able to get playing a world based on the Feed The Beast modpack, and one I would like to be able to share with other players without too much painful effort installing "unapproved and unsupported" mods.

I could go on extolling its virtues - or pointing out that although he generally has a no-modpack policy Balkon seemed quite open to his mod's inclusion in FTB, but I said I'd limit myself to one paragraph. If you decide that BWM still has no place in FTB, for whatever reason, then so be it. I'll either have to learn what's required to patch the mod in to FTB on both server and client and get it playing nicely with the other mods and THEN find a way to talk my painfully non-technical friends through installing it on their client, and then hope that an update doesn't break things further down the line.... or I'll have to step away from FTB and go back to TMPTSNBSO.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you decide against what I propose then please don't feel the need to reply on a point by point basis, or even explain your choice. Make FTB the project you want to work on, we the public have no entitlement to demand anything else. But I hope you aren't offended if we ask, respectfully and politely, for the things we want.

Regards

Dr Vesuvius

(PS .. and if anyone in the peanut gallery is feeling the need to flame me for this post... ask yourself why.)

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I know I'm not Slowpoke, but I'm just going to say something anyway.

The FTB pack's primary goal is for the FTB Map, pure and simple. However, it also happens to work very well as a normal mod pack for survival, but that is a secondary concern.

However, (and correct me if I'm wrong), I believe I have heard somewhere that you will be able to make your own modpack using mods that have given permission. Now, this list might include mods that won't be in any of the default FTB packs, for example, BWM. However, that is probably a long way down the line at this point so I amd speculating at this moment.

Also, I should say it is very easy to add your own mod. Just highlight the mod pack, click edit mod pack, add mod. That will open up your file system, just find the file of the mod you want to add (as a .zip) and select it. Then, you just start up Minecraft. The launcher will put the .zip file where it needs to go automatically so it's really simple to do.

mr_vit

Jul 29, 2019
Now that is smth written and said very right. I think we should support this guy. I do. Have a like.
I may be not toally agree about TMPTSNBSO and steampunk. But I'm sure that once FTB challange is complete I would like to play just a survivial, and that's where this mod will come in play perfectly. IMHO, it fits not only FTB tech/magic packs theme, but even vanilia minecraft experience very well, just giving some weapons and adventuries variety. Same time it's very good balanced, and Balkon is always open to balancing suggestons. Also I imagine how fun will be hunger/hardcore games with that one. And I totally agree it not worth much to add it at least in ultimate pack, just to make community happy. Of course all that imho (though according to what I see on forums, not only my personal :) ). Actually overall, as I see there are just 2 hardly debatable mods we have troubles with (of some sort) - Balkon's weapons and gregtech. And while gregtech can be configured (globally with pack) and such, and I'm sure FTB team will balance it perfectly, no other mod provides such really simple and good balanced (within vanilia experience and FTB pack same time) low-mid tier weapons experience.

... "easy to add" ... and smth heard before alot
That's totally truth. It's easy to add, same easy as just get yourself own pach using MultiMC or other preffered launcher. (I'm currently having local fun with 1.4.5 minecraft with like 40 mods)... but... That's not same easy when U have a server where U want to invide some friends (I'm not even talking about public servers). If U will try to say to each guy who want to join server that he should simply add that mod, then simply disable that mod, then just edit config there and there... well he will just choose another server, or will not even start playing minecraft at all :). It just would made us very happy (simply as that) if we can invite our friends/users in play with our favorite pack without even simple, but additional clicks and researches.

We don't ask too much, do we?

...About TreeCapitator balancing...
Brilliant idea! That is smth that can make TreeCapitator really enjoyable and actually with right calculations - balanced. Though this should be really levels consumable. Mb smth like more levels U put in there - more logs of tree U can harvest. (liteally - 30 level enchant - 30 logs U will cut. Rest - climb and chop again :). Mb even 2 levels per log). And I assume, to be even better, bspkr can include IC2 mod support by default, with same way math - more logs U are trying to cut - more energy consumed (conditional support of course, we see many mods do such crossmod support when related mod is installed, and disabling otherwise, everyone just win from such kind of support).

I, personally, will use this way mod for sure.

P.S. Sorry, I know my english is totally terrible, but I'm learning :).

P.P.S. Waiting donation page working. I'm totally want to support You guys (as mentonied before ;) ). You doing amazing job already. Tnx!

btocoolman

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the idea of the ultimate pack, and i have just one thing to suggest about it. Somebody working on this pack may have already thought of this, but i think it would be best if you tried to implement as many mods as possible into the ultimate pack. It's quite a bit easier to just disable a mod than to try to install your own and risk dealing with some kind of conflicts between mods. I just want there to be as many options as possible so that everyone who uses the modpack can really fine-tune their mod experience.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the idea of the ultimate pack, and i have just one thing to suggest about it. Somebody working on this pack may have already thought of this, but i think it would be best if you tried to implement as many mods as possible into the ultimate pack. It's quite a bit easier to just disable a mod than to try to install your own and risk dealing with some kind of conflicts between mods. I just want there to be as many options as possible so that everyone who uses the modpack can really fine-tune their mod experience.

Or maybe at least support for mods (Custom configs if the ID's conflict) and maybe have them disabled by default if they are more controversial (like gregtech)

Reactions: mr_vit

Belone

Jul 29, 2019

I'm reasonably sure this is sort of the idea, at least to include every mod that they have permission for, and that actually works together and don't make your game go BOOM.

Also (now I've not read this anywhere, so it's only a hope) that we could potentially see some of the "unbalanced" mods added into this as the ultimate pack (based on what I've read) won't be used for the new FTB map, so Slowpoke may not be as concerned about making it all nicely balanced and challenging.

JonReed

Jul 29, 2019
So I missed this thread, so posting the mod again here.

Calendar Mod
(kept up to date by grim3212)

https://sites.google.com/site/grimsmods/individual-mods/calendar

It adds an in game calendar item and block that displays the in game date in Day, Month, Year form. This is something most people never realize they want until they have it.
It is a forge unified mod.

What I use it most often for:

fjqeP.png

buzyb77

Jul 29, 2019
Hey can this thread get a once a month refresh on mods posted? As well as current verdict on mods... I know it will happen with major version updates but a refresh is always nice.

Reactions: mr_vit and Jeza

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
Open Letter to Slowpoke

I could go on extolling its virtues - or pointing out that although he generally has a no-modpack policy Balkon seemed quite open to his mod's inclusion in FTB, but I said I'd limit myself to one paragraph. If you decide that BWM still has no place in FTB, for whatever reason, then so be it. I'll either have to learn what's required to patch the mod in to FTB on both server and client and get it playing nicely with the other mods and THEN find a way to talk my painfully non-technical friends through installing it on their client, and then hope that an update doesn't break things further down the line.... or I'll have to step away from FTB and go back to TMPTSNBSO.

Just wanted to +1 Balkon's Weaponmod. As I've posted elsewhere, it fits the minecraft "feel" quite well - which is something that is extremely lacking in most mods. Balkon did indeed post that he was interested in FTB but hasn't been contacted, which is sad.

Anyways, don't remember if I've posted this yet or not, but I've been meaning to, at least, so here goes (again, possibly). Even though it hasn't been updated yet, Ars Magicka is an awesome new magic mod. I downgraded to 1.3.2 to play around with it and it's much better than most of the "spell" mods - by which I mean mods that try to do the magic thing more traditionally than Thaumcraft, with mana and such. Most of those mods tend to be pretty generic, but this one, however, has got a sweet particle system that is really only second to Thaumcraft in released mods (that will, incidentally, be released in an open API soon), a research system of its own, multi-block structures, some tough new mobs to waste mana on, and lots of neat ruins and so on to explore. Not to mention the spells are relatively well balanced for PvP, when it comes to that ^ ^

It would, imo, be a great fit in the Magic/Ultimate FTB pack, which is sort of lacking in a "real" magic mod - if the creator is willing to let it out once it's updated, of course, which should be soon according to the same.

edit: link http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1486184-132-ars-magica-an-advanced-magic-mod-for-minecraft/

Reactions: Sertas

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft3 is not only in the magic world pack, but the pack is built around that mod. I do believe it will be in the Ultimate pack. It will not be in the tech pack, nor the map pack. (Subject to change on that last one.)

hotchi

Jul 29, 2019
I vote for the Dynamic Elevator mod.

It insert a Elevator that can be build in the size you like.
The elevator checks all valid floors and can drive directly to it over a ui or called by a elevator button.

The floors can be named with the ui.

http://slimevoid.net/dynamic-elevators/

Works with 1.4.4 and 1.4.5.

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019
I am under the impression [treecapitator] won't be considered because it is too easy to adjust the config to ensure a player never needs an axe again.

Nothing stopping a player from just dropping treecapitator in the mods folder. If someone is going to alter a config, they are going to do it. Possible config options are a poor reason to prohibit a mod. Even quicker to just put yourself in creative mode and give yourself stacks of wood, you can't stop someone who wants to make it easier.

I used it when I started FTB because I think it's pretty silly to have to climb a scaffold to cut down a tall tree. That stopped being an issue the moment I build my arboretum, I leave it running to keep the peat bog going (trading dirt for sand and vice versa), I've got so much wood I simply feed a lot of it into a void pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.