Launcher v2 Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoaConstructor

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a screenshot and video from the new launcher.

This launcher is in development and is expected to be released with the 1.6 minecraft update.

32u9g.jpg

Looks epic. I have a private pack; will I have to make a new splash image for the new launcher?

Reactions: seannyyx

skythekidrs1021

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a screenshot and video from the new launcher.

This launcher is in development and is expected to be released with the 1.6 minecraft update.

32u9g.jpg

i wish mutant creatures will be in one of the mod packs but i think it should be in magic world 2

joelcalix

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question:

If I'm using The Ultimate Pack for 1.4.7. Can I upgrade my world to 1.6 when this comes? Are going to be ID changes?

Thanks,

J

SizzleBacon

Jul 29, 2019
You almost certainly will not be able to do that.

Mojang is introducing a resource package system API in 1.6 which will change the way mods are installed and handled. This affects everything including texture packs.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
You almost certainly will not be able to do that.

Mojang is introducing a resource package system API in 1.6 which will change the way mods are installed and handled. This affects everything including texture packs.

I thought that just changed the way texture packs worked, making them resource packs and allowing other things to be substituted in, such as sounds. To be fair, I have not read up on it much, so I may be wrong.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Liquids will break in 1.6 when moved from older worlds. Xycraft Blocks will break. Bees/Butterflies are somewhat broken in rare cases.
Mods will get added/removed (RedPower most likely won't be in any pack anytime soon).
All in all i strongly recommend that you start with a fresh world.

Also any bug reports from people who play with old worlds have a high chance of beeing ignored as too much has changed and using old stuff is likely to cause all sorts of issues which might not even be reproduceable at all on a fresh world.

SizzleBacon

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that just changed the way texture packs worked, making them resource packs and allowing other things to be substituted in, such as sounds. To be fair, I have not read up on it much, so I may be wrong.

I thought they were just starting with texture packs.

No one knows for sure how far they will take it, but from what I can tell they plan to turn into the modding API and run all mods through it. I hope they do, because it would be much more efficient.

However they may decide to make texture packs and mods separate. Using a different API for mods and using the resource package API for just texture packs. Only time will tell.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I thought they were just starting with texture packs.

No one knows for sure how far they will take it, but from what I can tell they plan to turn into the modding API and run all mods through it. I hope they do, because it would be much more efficient.

However they may decide to make texture packs and mods separate. Using a different API for mods and using the resource package API for just texture packs. Only time will tell.

At least it seems to be a step towards the modding API, that's one good thing coming out of it.

coziii

Jul 29, 2019
hey im new to this. I have just 1 question what about all the texture packs and maps. 1 more question do I have to re download the pack?

Kazekai

Jul 29, 2019
The following is a reiteration of Captainnana's previous statements:

While we appreciate and respect the varied opinions of the community on this and other topics; our position on this matter is inarguable. We will never introduce a mod into any of the modpacks within our launcher without first ensuring that verifiable permissions have been granted by the creator(s)/owner(s) of such mod to either ourselves, or to the 3rd party requesting introduction of their modpack into our launcher (click here, here, here, and here to read more about our permission requirements and other pertinent information). While we may not be experts in the field of foreign and domestic copyright laws (etc..) we follow through with our interpretation of such said laws and their applicability to the mods, for the following primary reasons:
  1. Legal compliance and avoidance of liability.
  2. Out of pure respect for those that are responsible for sacrificing their own time to create the mods we all enjoy.
While this post by no means is meant to discourage further respectful discussions of the topic within the appropriate sub-forum and thread(s), it does serve to inform the public on our official stance. (Keep in mind the Global Mods may see it fit to ban this subject from discussion within our forums at any time, they are allowed to do so.)

TL;DR: We will not distribute a mod without permission from its author; this will not change.

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't stop me from being annoyed about the private packs feature being barely useful.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
hey im new to this. I have just 1 question what about all the texture packs and maps. 1 more question do I have to re download the pack?

It'll definitely still be there, it's just either that they haven't been added in the beta launcher yet, or the buttons aren't visible.

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't stop me from being annoyed about the private packs feature being barely useful.

The thing is, the private pack feature isn't meant for easy mod pack building, MultiMC does that admirably. It's for people who know how to compile and manage a mod pack themselves so that they can share it to fill a specific gap they believe is not filled by the current mod packs.
Or, at least, that's how I've always viewed them.

SizzleBacon

Jul 29, 2019

Private packs are 80% for servers. It's a way that servers can easily distribute their modpacks to their players without any mismatch problems. It was never meant for private use. If you are a server you should have people who are responsible for taking care of the modpack and updating it. Most servers that are big enough to need to private pack have teams of people working for them.

It works great for what it was built for.

Reactions: Lathanael

keeperoflenneth

Jul 29, 2019
*grabby hands* Man this looks slick! Can't wait :D Thanks again for all the hard work! What you have done with FTB overall has turned Minecraft from a game into a hobby for me.

hutoczky

Jul 29, 2019
Final days Minecraft 1.6 comes out.
1.4.7 is still the ultimate slow

is ridiculous.
Frisitik at last been ridiculed or Innovate?
Slowly we laugh that laziness wins.
1.6 Develop ultimate?
Or you will minecraft 2.0 megejelnés age?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Final days Minecraft 1.6 comes out.
1.4.7 is still the ultimate slow

is ridiculous.
Frisitik at last been ridiculed or Innovate?
Slowly we laugh that laziness wins.
1.6 Develop ultimate?
Or you will minecraft 2.0 megejelnés age?

... what?
I'm guessing you're talking about how the 1.6 update is being released soon, and Ultimate is still on 1.4.7? If you were even on the right post, you would realise they are working on the mod pack updates, a beta of which (0.7) is already available. Ultimate will be updated in due time, see this thread for details: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/mod-pack-update.20448/

Reactions: Thuulstrea

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
... what?
I'm guessing you're talking about how the 1.6 update is being released soon, and Ultimate is still on 1.4.7? If you were even on the right post, you would realise they are working on the mod pack updates, a beta of which (0.7) is already available. Ultimate will be updated in due time, see this thread for details: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/mod-pack-update.20448/

Incorrect, ultimate will never be updated because 1.5.2 cant be compatible with 1.4.7 due to the lack of redpower, we never (knowingly) release updates that break old worlds we just create new modpacks which is what the 1.5.x RB pack will be

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Incorrect, ultimate will never be updated because 1.5.2 cant be compatible with 1.4.7 due to the lack of redpower, we never (knowingly) release updates that break old worlds we just create new modpacks which is what the 1.5.x RB pack will be

Huh, never noticed that. It was probably right in front of me, I just never saw :p
I knew that there would be a new pack, but not that Ultimate would never be updated. I presume that if/when RedPower is updated, Ultimate will update?

Status
Not open for further replies.