Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
If you put a bee in a normal biome hive and it doesn't operate, then that's all you need to know, really - that bee is of no interest to a beginning player, so it doesn't matter what biome it actually wants. Put it away and concentrate on getting imperial and industrious bees (regardless of what bees you think you want, you want these first). By the time you have those, you'll have no problem identifying what each new species needs via the beealyser.

Note that any bee that wants "flowers" works with most regular flowers. Bees that want fancy flowers are again of little interest to a beginner - for example, you might've pulled in some ender bees already (which want dragon eggs off all things), but it'll be a long time before there's any point to putting them in an apiary/alveary... and by the time there IS a point you should have the ability to change their flower preference on a whim.

Jul 29, 2019
If you put a bee in a normal biome hive and it doesn't operate, then that's all you need to know, really - that bee is of no interest to a beginning player, so it doesn't matter what biome it actually wants. Put it away and concentrate on getting imperial and industrious bees (regardless of what bees you think you want, you want these first). By the time you have those, you'll have no problem identifying what each new species needs via the beealyser.

Note that any bee that wants "flowers" works with most regular flowers. Bees that want fancy flowers are again of little interest to a beginner - for example, you might've pulled in some ender bees already (which want dragon eggs off all things), but it'll be a long time before there's any point to putting them in an apiary/alveary... and by the time there IS a point you should have the ability to change their flower preference on a whim.
so which bees should i start with? only imperial and industrious (i dont think i have either of those)

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
The bees central to your production are Cultivated, Imperial and Industrious. All other bees are optional and depend on what you actually want to do with your bee program. Cultivated bees will eventually become obsolete depending on what else you breed but Imperial and Industrious never do.

Jul 29, 2019
The bees central to your production are Cultivated, Imperial and Industrious. All other bees are optional and depend on what you actually want to do with your bee program. Cultivated bees will eventually become obsolete depending on what else you breed but Imperial and Industrious never do.
how do i get my first industrious/imperial bees? can i find them in hives or do i have to somehow breed them?

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
how do i get my first industrious/imperial bees? can i find them in hives or do i have to somehow breed them?
Start off by finding meadows and forest bees, and, if you can, tropical (which you won't need right away).
Breed the meadows and forest until you have a decent number of drones WITHOUT cross-breeding.
Then, put a meadows queen with a forest princess or a forest queen with a meadows princess. Keep doing this until you get a PURE common/common princess and drone (check with the beealyzer). Make as many of these as you can.

Congratulations, you have your first remotely useful bee.
From then on it gets a bit more complicated, you're unlikely to get anything as advanced as industrious or imperial bees very easily.
If you're an absolute novice you should probably follow a youtuber or something; GenerikB's "Beecademy" series is so far only two episodes long but from what i've seen it's pretty good!

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
You should indeed concentrate solely on imperial bees first, followed by industrious. These bees aren't "needed" to get the fancier species, but the infrastructure they'll allow you to build will make further breeding experiments much, much easier. You'll be creating a few other species along the way, you can't jump to them in one single step.

Imperial bees are required for serum production - you want to get advanced genetic machines up and running sooner rather then later (ignore the lesser genetic machines except for the gene pool, which should be built ASAP). This species will also be supplying most of your honey needs (their combs are guaranteed to give honey dew when centrifuged, which acts much the same way as honey drops - which they also give you).

Industrious bees, together with imperials, allow you to produce alvearies. These aren't at all cheap to build but they dramatically increase the amount of resources your bees give you. You'll want to keep your other less interesting bees cycling through apiaries near constantly in order to build up a collection of wax for this purpose. You'll also want a farm of some sort for seed oil.

Once you have at least one pair of those species in an alveary each, you'll be ready to advance from there to any species you're actually interested in with relative ease.

Reactions: Velotican

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Generally speaking, any actually useful bee will have to be bred. With Forestry's addons installed there's a grand total of 11 bee species obtainable in the wild (including the Nether and End species) but the actual amount of obtainable breeds of bee is closer to 190.

Those 11 wild ("mundane") bee species are sufficient to breed all the others, although as you might guess some of the breeding chains are very long and complicated.

Fortunately, Imperial and Industrious bees are among the easiest to breed and a natural first choice for the novice breeder, and both require Cultivated bees as a prerequisite anyway.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to do beekeeping without having to jump around in different biomes? i really want to start but am too lazy to keep going from biome to biome

Yes... but it is usually easier to head to another biome. There is an Extra Bees machine called an acclimatizer that lets you adjust the temp and humidity tolerances of bees at the price of vast quantities of sand, water, ice, lava etc and a fair amount of time. There are also alveary fan, heater etc blocks for climate control but it takes a while to get there and by then you will probably be about ready to genetically engineer bees anyway.

A handful of species require certain biomes to be bred, which is really annoying. Fortunately you have a portal gun which is both a chunkloader and transportation!

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
I have a simple question, I've seen on someone's stream they used the Portal Gun to get Mob Spawners in there inventory. Now I wonder how, in my creative testing world when I try it I get a different spawner, instead of a zombi spawner I get a pig spawner.

Is this normal because of creative or am I doing it wrong.

They way I do it at the moment is: Place a torch on the ground, pick up spawner and move it ON the torch and then it drops. But like I said it goes from Zombi to Pig Spawner.

So what was wondering if am doing it wrong :)?

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Start off by finding meadows and forest bees, and, if you can, tropical (which you won't need right away).
Breed the meadows and forest until you have a decent number of drones WITHOUT cross-breeding.
Then, put a meadows queen with a forest princess or a forest queen with a meadows princess. Keep doing this until you get a PURE common/common princess and drone (check with the beealyzer). Make as many of these as you can.

Congratulations, you have your first remotely useful bee.
From then on it gets a bit more complicated, you're unlikely to get anything as advanced as industrious or imperial bees very easily.
If you're an absolute novice you should probably follow a youtuber or something; GenerikB's "Beecademy" series is so far only two episodes long but from what i've seen it's pretty good!

Not to mention GenerikB is a funny guy and entertaining to watch. Even better when Bdubs is around, those 2 just keep me laughing all day.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I have a simple question, I've seen on someone's stream they used the Portal Gun to get Mob Spawners in there inventory. Now I wonder how, in my creative testing world when I try it I get a different spawner, instead of a zombi spawner I get a pig spawner.

They way I do it at the moment is: Place a torch on the ground, pick up spawner and move it ON the torch and then it drops. But like I said it goes from Zombi to Pig Spawner.

They get pig spawners too. It's a vanilla thing. You could use a piston to push it on to a torch for the same result. They will always become pig spawners. Despite what anyone tells you it's a pig spawner.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019

Well, yea that's what happens. You can either edit the spawner after you place it with a 3rd party app(most of which don't work well with FTB in my experience), or just NEI yourself the wanted spawner. The torch trick is really only useful for infinite porkchops or snagging the ender dragon egg.

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
They get pig spawners too. It's a vanilla thing. You could use a piston to push it on to a torch for the same result. They will always become pig spawners. Despite what anyone tells you it's a pig spawner.

Well, yea that's what happens. You can either edit the spawner after you place it with a 3rd party app(most of which don't work well with FTB in my experience), or just NEI yourself the wanted spawner.

Aye I know pig spawners are a vanilla thing. But I saw someone on stream do it for Whisp Spawnsers under those Thaumcraft thingies, and they actually got the Spawner and it still was a whisp spawner.

So I was wondering if the Zombi -> Pig spawner is a creative thing :)

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Aye I know pig spawners are a vanilla thing. But I saw someone on stream do it for Whisp Spawnsers under those Thaumcraft thingies, and they actually got the Spawner and it still was a whisp spawner.

No, it happens in survival too IIRC. Now the wisp spawner might have a different code or something, as it's added by a mod, I'll have to let someone who knows answer that.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

It might be different for custom spawners but vanilla spawners should all turn into pig spawners.

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
No, it happens in survival too IIRC. Now the wisp spawner might have a different code or something, as it's added by a mod, I'll have to let someone who knows answer that.

Already tried it but still reverts back to Pig.

Oh well guess I'll just pick em up and place em where I want to be. Unless someone knows a trick with it then I'm all ears :).

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Already tried it but still reverts back to Pig.

Oh well guess I'll just pick em up and place em where I want to be. Unless someone knows a trick with it then I'm all ears :).
You can use NEI to give yourself stacks of spawners.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Can't push spawners with pistons.