IC2 is slowly dying out ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
That's not physics messing up, that's your tick rate being absolutely mauled by bad code. There's a reason conduits and liquiducts took so much time to get right (and that's why they use roughly 1/1000000000th of the CPU compared to Mekanism's).

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on Aidan here - he's a nice guy and enthusiastic about his mod. But I called out Elo on relays, so Mekanism definitely doesn't get a free pass.
Is it only Mekanism or the whole UE pack?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
That's not physics messing up, that's your tick rate being absolutely mauled by bad code. There's a reason conduits and liquiducts took so much time to get right (and that's why they use roughly 1/1000000000th of the CPU compared to Mekanism's).

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on Aidan here - he's a nice guy and enthusiastic about his mod. But I called out Elo on relays, so Mekanism definitely doesn't get a free pass.

I wonder if this is what has been creating "no go" lag zones on our server. We've been trying to use Mekanism as a universal power source. I swear to god if that's the case I will pull all of UE from the damn pack. After the pure grief that the BasicComponents thing gave me...

Reactions: RedBoss

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if this is what has been creating "no go" lag zones on our server. We've been trying to use Mekanism as a universal power source. I swear to god if that's the case I will pull all of UE from the damn pack. After the pure grief that the BasicComponents thing gave me...
*Sigh*
End of the story. I just started to like that UE...

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Is it only Mekanism or the whole UE pack?

In this particular case it is Mekanism. However, I can pretty much guarantee you that any method of moving power is going to be less efficient than Conduit from a computational perspective. I really can't stress that enough.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

But ... but... What will I do without OP dirt cheap solar?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I swear to the nine hells, if I see "OP" used unironically one more time, I'm going to beat a nun with a wrench.

To be fair, there is no way to rationally convert UE to EU. It is not possible. A single basic solar panel is a 50eu/t power source in the default conversion.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
In this particular case it is Mekanism. However, I can pretty much guarantee you that any method of moving power is going to be less efficient than Conduit from a computational perspective. I really can't stress that enough.

I wish you'd make a power gen mod as engaging as Atomic Science. I literally cannot stay awake generating EU. Even most MJ methods are... pretty stale now.

The entire reason I started this alternative modpack project (and committed to the CRAZY promise of keeping a server up for players even as I help a startup launch a product) is because I want huge amazing multiblock powergen.

P.S., I have this wild fantasy if I decompile your mod I'll find LMAX Disruptor linked in.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Sigh... Dave, Is there any small possibility that somehow UE will not be removed from the pack? I just don't know other packs that use UE with the other good mods like TE and so on. I can make one by myself (actually I downloaded Volts and added a bunch of mods in it), but that's not... that good.

cmwatford

Jul 29, 2019
It's got a power system. It's the same one every tech mod that isn't purposefully insular and that integrates with the rest of the modded universe uses... MJ

Holy shit. I totally flashed back to ye olden days. Back then I played technic and ic2 was my everything. I was so convinced that this buildcraft thing would never get anywhere and that MJ was a horrible power system. Wow, it's funny how things work out like that isn't it?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I wish you'd make a power gen mod as engaging as Atomic Science. I literally cannot stay awake generating EU. Even most MJ methods are... pretty stale now.

The entire reason I started this alternative modpack project (and committed to the CRAZY promise of keeping a server up for players even as I help a startup launch a product) is because I want huge amazing multiblock powergen.

P.S., I have this wild fantasy if I decompile your mod I'll find LMAX Disruptor linked in.

Honestly, I'm back and forth on moving away from the "engine" paradigm. Basically engines are sort of cpu-inefficient, even as optimized as TE's are. I am adding some new gen though.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's a shame that UE isn't as great as I was lead to believe it's cracked up to be.

If this thread has done anything, it's convinced me that there is no mod that's going to replace IC2 any time soon. So, thanks for that. It was a great comfort.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's a shame that UE isn't as great as I was lead to believe it's cracked up to be.

If this thread has done anything, it's convinced me that there is no mod that's going to replace IC2 any time soon. So, thanks for that. It was a great comfort.
I still like the concept much more than IC2 power. It's a shame that it's coded that bad... Well, Mekanism represents most machines generators that are in UE. It can be removed, but there are no replacement in terms of ore processing and so on. Atomic Science gives awesome generators, but there are a little problem of power application. With Mekanism you can power with it almost every device you can make with other mods, but without... I think Particle Accelerator is the only power-hungry thing... Makin nuclear reactors to power a furnace is not fun.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, AFAIR you worked with Mekanism author a bit. Did you talk to him about performance? Just wondering.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, AFAIR you worked with Mekanism author a bit. Did you talk to him about performance? Just wondering.

I've talked code with him in the past, but it's been all theory basically. I haven't contributed code nor did we really go into brass tacks on performance.