[1.10.2] Age of Engineering

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
That would be terrific, I'd love to see your write-up :)

That's what I love about this community, people sharing ideas and solutions.

On another note, have you gone DEEP into IC2, I'm only just beginning to realize what a massive mod IC2 is, I'm seriously thinking of fully exploring IC2 (ie, make ALL of the things in IC2) before moving on into future ages.

-Wuffle!

Life with kids meant no time to goof around with video games last night, so I will try to write up my solution from memory. If this does not make enough sense I will be able to screen shot and explain better this weekend.

I built 4 88 rf/t water wheels and dedicate all that power to an MV capacitor which is directly beside the AA Reconstructor with a lens of the miner. It is set to only fire on redstone pulse and is aimed at the last block that is created from my vanilla smooth stone generator (12 blocks away for a standard piston?). For the last item in this three way intersection is the Mechanical Miner with a silk touch book in it now, it is also set to redstone pulse mode. Somewhere between the Reconstructor and the Miner is a dark utilies timer set to fire every 12 seconds I believe. Vanilla redstone leads directly to the Reconstructor and a seperate path that has 2 vanilla repeaters set to 4 ticks each leads to the miner.

Logic and assumptions:
The 12 second delay allows the water wheels to generate enough power regardless of what ore is generated to fully recharge the Reconstructor in order to be able to fire again, LV Cap is too slow and the loss over time makes the system fail, you can upgrade to HV cap if you wish. The 8 tick delay is enough to allow the stone to be changed before the miner harvests it. The smooth stone generator is always running so stone is always there.

For output I started off with an AA storage crate, then switched to a transfer node along with lots of pipes and drawers to hold everything and eventually got a drawer controller to simplify the setup.

Math
88rf/t * 4 * 12 * 20 = 84,480 RF in 12 seconds
the Miner costs 60,000 per shot and has an additional cost based on the "value" of the ore created. So when it does generate diamond or emerald it takes a chunk out of the storage but the law of averages means that it will create some coal or iton for you soon there after and then the excess created will fill back up the capacitor.

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Lens_of_the_Miner

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I got a 100% reproducable crash when trying to open the RFTools manual. That is unpleasant because I need that information. Is that stuff online somewhere?

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I got a 100% reproducable crash when trying to open the RFTools manual. That is unpleasant because I need that information. Is that stuff online somewhere?

Funny you mention that... I find I get a crash 100% of the time if I have the immersive engineering manual open for more than a few minutes.

-Wuffle!

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Life with kids meant no time to goof around with video games last night, so I will try to write up my solution from memory. If this does not make enough sense I will be able to screen shot and explain better this weekend.

Math
88rf/t * 4 * 12 * 20 = 84,480 RF in 12 seconds
the Miner costs 60,000 per shot and has an additional cost based on the "value" of the ore created. So when it does generate diamond or emerald it takes a chunk out of the storage but the law of averages means that it will create some coal or iton for you soon there after and then the excess created will fill back up the capacitor.

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Lens_of_the_Miner

That is awesome, I was wondering how to delay the pulses long enough for power to handle it at 60k RF per shot. :)

I'll give this a go tonight and post screenies, let me know what you think.

Thankyou!

-Wuffle!

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Yes, this is known, and unfixable. You'll have to look online for a mod spotlight or wiki or something like that.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have noticed the version of RFTools in the pack is rather old. Would it break anything if I update it?

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019

Funny you mention that... I find I get a crash 100% of the time if I have the immersive engineering manual open for more than a few minutes.

-Wuffle!

About time to post the link to the Discord again: https://discord.gg/QkvUrxM

There is a list of Known Issues on the #aoe-faq page.

Share the news the next time someone discovers these bugs. :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yes, this is known, and unfixable. You'll have to look online for a mod spotlight or wiki or something like that.
Unfixable, eh? I have switched the pack to Forge 12.18.3.2488 and updated RFTools, RFTools Dimensions and RFTools Control to the newest versions. The crash with the RFTools manual is gone, no negative side effects so far, except that the launcher forgets the new Forge version in spite of my saving the profile and I have to switch the Forge version manually every time I start the pack. The changed recipes appear to be intact.

Unfortunately, the crash with the IE manual is still present. Perhaps I should update that as well....

Last edited:

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Unfixable, eh? I have switched the pack to Forge 12.18.3.2488 and updated RFTools, RFTools Dimensions and RFTools Control to the newest versions. The crash with the RFTools manual is gone, no negative side effects so far, except that the launcher forgets the new Forge version in spite of my saving the profile and I have to switch the Forge version manually every time I start the pack. The changed recipes appear to be intact.

Unfortunately, the crash with the IE manual is still present. Perhaps I should update that as well....

Since each mod in the pack has its own Forge version requirements, and some might require an EARLIER version, most people prefer to play the pack instead of checking all the mod dependencies. If you can get it to work, by all means. :)

Reactions: triggerfinger12

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I got into the IC2 side of things, and have automated the ore processing.

The Medium Voltage Solar Array.. oh my what a rabbit hole of resources, but got it done! I have built my IC2 processing building using laboratory blocks, here it is!

Thanks to leldra for letting me know just how many resources were needed and others for their tips.

2017-10-30_19.16.49.png 2017-10-30_19.17.24.png 2017-10-30_19.17.15.png

Some additional machines for the nuclear fuel processing are to be added along the other wall, so far the MV solar array and MFE are holding up and ores are being processed. The 'small dusts' are a good bonus and are resulting in a lot of extra ingots being produced.

I'm now going to get into the Crop Matron and IC2 crops as I continue my IC2 base build.

My goal is to have a sort of 'IC2 campus', built up where I get to explore as much of IC2 as I can, before progressing further off into the Mod Pack.

I would like to give nuclear reactors another go (I had a run at them in a previous mudpack and got a lot of great replies, i'll see if I can dig up the threat and link it here), but i'm really fascinated by the big multiblock fluid reactor...

https://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Fluid_reactor

-Wuffle!

zBob

Jul 29, 2019

-Wuffle!

From the discord FAQ:

7. [MAJOR] [NO FIX] Client crash when viewing the IE manual. Not all users. To fix update java/use the updated java versions instead of the one minecraft comes packaged with (1.8.0_25). Switch the twitch launcher to the jar launcher instead of native, then specify verion. Or in the native launcher, edit the instance settings and choose the java version

-- That fix does work for me.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019

I forget all the reasons Qvist did not wish to upgrade RF Tools, the fact is he knows of the crash that comes with running that version but he did not want to accept the other changes that would come along in order to get that item fixed. You are now playing the pack with content that was not intended by the author, hopefully he can take a break from his new pack to spend some time reviewing the updates that have been released here on 1.10. Then he could update some mods and apply some craft and mod tweaker changes to keep his desired vision working the way he wants it. But who knows maybe he has already checked and the updated content has things he just can't work around.

It is your play through adjust things as you want, just don't tell everyone to apply an update because it does have more consquences than just fixing the one item you are looking at.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on Age 5, and I'm just wondering... is there a way to automate the creation of basic capacitors?
They are such a pain in the rear to make (for me).

MatunasCraft

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on Age 5, and I'm just wondering... is there a way to automate the creation of basic capacitors?

Back in Age 5, I think the important part is to automate the Actually Additions Empowerer setup with Item Conduits and Advanced Filters. I'm fairly sure you could automate more than that, but I prefer setting up the production in batches.

For example, Empowering 4 Restonia Crystal Blocks gets you 36 Empowered Restonia Crystals. Each Basic Capacitor requires 4 of those, so I end up with 9 Basic Capacitors, which requires 18 Enriched Gold Ingots and 18 Copper Electron Tubes. But since you get 4 Copper Tubes each time, I doubled the original recipe so that I make 72 Empowered Restonia (8 Blocks) at a time. The Empowerer takes the longest, so when it's done, I grab all the parts and craft 18 Basic Capacitors at a time.

I know it's not directly answering your question, but I knew that I'd be using the IC2 Replicator to make my Basic Capacitors in future ages, so decided to automate the complex parts. Aside from that, I really don't like the Calculator Docking Station, and didn't want to keep the Thermionic Fabricator running full time. To each their own.

Reactions: zBob

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I forget all the reasons Qvist did not wish to upgrade RF Tools, the fact is he knows of the crash that comes with running that version but he did not want to accept the other changes that would come along in order to get that item fixed. You are now playing the pack with content that was not intended by the author, hopefully he can take a break from his new pack to spend some time reviewing the updates that have been released here on 1.10. Then he could update some mods and apply some craft and mod tweaker changes to keep his desired vision working the way he wants it. But who knows maybe he has already checked and the updated content has things he just can't work around.

It is your play through adjust things as you want, just don't tell everyone to apply an update because it does have more consquences than just fixing the one item you are looking at.
It didn't work out anyway. I got a reproducible crash on loading my world at some point, something in the renderer it appears. I couldn't track it, but I have a suspicion it has something to do with the shield block mimic function that was newly re-introduced in V7 of RFtools, since my shield blocks disappeared after I re-loaded my world into the unchanged version of the pack.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I make them in batches, the size of which depends on resources - 16 early in Age 5, 32 late in Age 5, and now in Age 6, where resources cease to be a problem, I just throw a stack of Restonia blocks together with the other stuff into my Empowerer setup and go from there. For automation I use hoppers for input and filtered item conduits for output. You can use the filters for input as well, that makes things even easier - just throw stuff into a chest, route stuff into the display stands by filtered conduits set to round-robin, and route the output back there. With the Thermionic fabricator - throw the required resources in and pull the crafted items out with an item conduit.

Generally, I can only advise: do not build small, and don't progress before you've built some of the new infrastructure at the current age. It appears to me that in Age 5 and 6 you set the foundation for the future, with power in Age 5 (I have two Diesel Generators) and Age 6 for resources (mining with the RFTools builder, and tier 2 void miners for stuff you can't get well by mining - in my case emerald ore for the void ore miner and clay for the void resource miner). And since the new stuff will cost you a ton of some rarer resources, you'll have enough of the less rare to build stuff that was, for me, on an unprecendted scale: I made a HV solar array.