Age of Engineering Series!

C

Closet Gamer

if you need any help understanding some of the things the guide says just ask. im on age 13
Hey man, so I'm about to start automating steel from IE and I'm wondefing, how much steel am I going to need for late game. I was going to setup 2 or 3 reinforced blast furnaces but I don't want to waste resources if steel becomes unimportant.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hey man, so I'm about to start automating steel from IE and I'm wondefing, how much steel am I going to need for late game. I was going to setup 2 or 3 reinforced blast furnaces but I don't want to waste resources if steel becomes unimportant.

Cheers!

From what I've seen, you're gonna need a LOT of steel. But, the Arc Furnace is going to be your gateway to more rapid production there - its expensive, but you'll need it later, so I get the feeling it will be worth it. It depends on what you value more: the Reinforced Blast Furnace will use RF and coal coke to make steel (I've found the preheaters to not speed it up as much as I'd like by the way); the IC2 blast furnace will use EU, and your compressor (you might want to make a second one of those, so you can have one dedicated to the blast furnace if you go that route). The advantage with the IC2 one is that if you have a power source that can just keep that setup running with iron going into it, you can have it producing steel for you passively in the background for ages.

Sorry, I know that wasn't directed at me but I wanted to chip in :p

Reactions: Closet Gamer
C

Closet Gamer

From what I've seen, you're gonna need a LOT of steel. But, the Arc Furnace is going to be your gateway to more rapid production there - its expensive, but you'll need it later, so I get the feeling it will be worth it. It depends on what you value more: the Reinforced Blast Furnace will use RF and coal coke to make steel (I've found the preheaters to not speed it up as much as I'd like by the way); the IC2 blast furnace will use EU, and your compressor (you might want to make a second one of those, so you can have one dedicated to the blast furnace if you go that route). The advantage with the IC2 one is that if you have a power source that can just keep that setup running with iron going into it, you can have it producing steel for you passively in the background for ages.

Sorry, I know that wasn't directed at me but I wanted to chip in :p
Arc furnace you say! Sounds good to me. When it comes to using coal coke Vs EU then EU wins for me, I just need to automate the production of HV solars - I refuse to manually build those damned things! I just reached the empowering age (woot!) and the book mentioned more powerful IE machines... will the arc furnace be mine or is it still out of reach?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Arc furnace you say! Sounds good to me. When it comes to using coal coke Vs EU then EU wins for me, I just need to automate the production of HV solars - I refuse to manually build those damned things! I just reached the empowering age (woot!) and the book mentioned more powerful IE machines... will the arc furnace be mine or is it still out of reach?

Hmm. That's a good point. DW20 did it fairly late, but I don't think there's anything gating it - you might need to check whether there's something funky about the graphite electrode recipe - the arc furnace requires 3 graphite electrodes (built in a special IE workbench and requiring a blueprint) that need replacing every so often, though you can enchant them with something to make them last longer, which I didn't know about until recently. You'll need an IE Crusher and an IE Industrial Squeezer, so there's quite a few recipes to check. It goes:

8 Coal coke --[crusher]--> 8 coal coke dust --[squeezer]--> 1 HOP graphite dust --[furnace, I think]--> HOP graphite ingot

Then 4 of the ingots can either be crafted to make a 50% durability electrode (unless disabled) or put in an Engineers Workbench with the blueprint for the Graphite Electrodes to make a 100% durability electrode.

You'll also need coal coke dust to make steel in the arc furnace.

C

Closet Gamer

Hmm. That's a good point. DW20 did it fairly late, but I don't think there's anything gating it - you might need to check whether there's something funky about the graphite electrode recipe - the arc furnace requires 3 graphite electrodes (built in a special IE workbench and requiring a blueprint) that need replacing every so often, though you can enchant them with something to make them last longer, which I didn't know about until recently. You'll need an IE Crusher and an IE Industrial Squeezer, so there's quite a few recipes to check. It goes:

8 Coal coke --[crusher]--> 8 coal coke dust --[squeezer]--> 1 HOP graphite dust --[furnace, I think]--> HOP graphite ingot

Then 4 of the ingots can either be crafted to make a 50% durability electrode (unless disabled) or put in an Engineers Workbench with the blueprint for the Graphite Electrodes to make a 100% durability electrode.

You'll also need coal coke dust to make steel in the arc furnace.
This sounds like a lot of work! Can't I just play Mario cart instead?!

Im joking of course, I love all this stuff! So much to do! What I need is an offline version of NEI configured for age of engineering, then I can search up recipes when I'm afk

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
This sounds like a lot of work! Can't I just play Mario cart instead?!

Im joking of course, I love all this stuff! So much to do! What I need is an offline version of NEI configured for age of engineering, then I can search up recipes when I'm afk

You know what, that would be SO handy.

Some of the wikis have had the special recipes used in mod packs in the entries for blocks, but those have only really been for big FTB packs like Infinity Evolved Expert Mode, or Agrarian Skies. Hmm... would a custom recipe thread for Age of Engineering be of any use I wonder? Though that's still online I guess, just not in-game.

EDIT: also - the heavier IE stuff is gated behind the Ender Age - I think you need that for the heavy engineering block.

Last edited:
C

Closet Gamer

You know what, that would be SO handy.

Some of the wikis have had the special recipes used in mod packs in the entries for blocks, but those have only really been for big FTB packs like Infinity Evolved Expert Mode, or Agrarian Skies. Hmm... would a custom recipe thread for Age of Engineering be of any use I wonder? Though that's still online I guess, just not in-game.
It would definitely be useful to me! By offline I suppose I really mean out of game. I spent a lot of time trying to work out how many bits and pieces I'd need for my IE windmills only to find it's quite different! There must be a way to dump the mod specific database from NEI into a word document or spreadsheet... maybe?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It would definitely be useful to me! By offline I suppose I really mean out of game. I spent a lot of time trying to work out how many bits and pieces I'd need for my IE windmills only to find it's quite different! There must be a way to dump the mod specific database from NEI into a word document or spreadsheet... maybe?
Possibly, its either that or getting the info from the MineTweaker (or whatever the pack uses) scripts and writing that up into a more readable format!

Also, I think the arc furnace must be gated behind something else as well as the Ender Age...

C

Closet Gamer

Possibly, its either that or getting the info from the MineTweaker (or whatever the pack uses) scripts and writing that up into a more readable format!

Also, I think the arc furnace must be gated behind something else as well as the Ender Age...
Some other chaps talking about the same thing only in the past! Maybe they time travelled to steal our idea! https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=62830&share_fid=58275&share_type=t

I'll put it on the ever growing list of things I intend to look at :D

C

Closet Gamer

Aha I found this http://crafting-guide.com/browse

It's close...but not tailored to AoE versions of recipes and has a few mods missing.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
A solution to early steel, I proposed to Lensmanoz with his AoE LP was Blast Furnace>1x2 Storage Drawer<Blast Furnace. Top of the drawer is empty cells, bottom is cells with compressed air. Compressor underneath that. Use push/pull upgrades to insert/extract the cells. Then another upgrade to push steel/slag up into 1x2's.

The other suggestion for that one, was to use solid fueled heaters because they're far more efficient than Electric ones. That's personal preference though.

The other thing about the Arc Furnace though is it'll still need Coal Coke, but Crushered into Coke Dust to produce steel.

Reactions: Closet Gamer
C

Closet Gamer

A solution to early steel, I proposed to Lensmanoz with his AoE LP was Blast Furnace>1x2 Storage Drawer<Blast Furnace. Top of the drawer is empty cells, bottom is cells with compressed air. Compressor underneath that. Use push/pull upgrades to insert/extract the cells. Then another upgrade to push steel/slag up into 1x2's.

The other suggestion for that one, was to use solid fueled heaters because they're far more efficient than Electric ones. That's personal preference though.
I see, that sounds like a neat solution. At the moment I have my compressor with push upgrades fitted and a item transfer node with a filter setup to extract the cells and returning them to the compressor. I couldn't use push pull upgrades on the compressor because it would pull the steel instead of the liquid cells. You suggestion with the draw will work well though...if I lock the draw it will work like a filter and I can use it to separate out the steel, slag and spent cells I'll work on that for my next episode and if you don't mind you can let me know if I went wrong anywhere