Suggest Mods for FTB Here

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
If i see them getting into legal trouble because of it, it would be because they used actual music and sound clips from the game. It's perfectly fine and OK to make a mod based on any other media, but straight up copying stuff like music and sound clips might be crossing a line. If it's distributed via adfly links, then it can even be argued in court that it's making indirect profit. Yeah, not something i'd want to mess around with, most definitely. IP laws and patent law are two of the most touchy subjects in law, anywhere and everywhere in the world.

Also, @Fred4106 have you taken a look at this IC2 addon? http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8269 - Liquid UU Matter

It's open source in the under creative commons, and i bet it would do for some very neat and interesting integration with your mod. Since the mods are similar, and yet approach things from different angles, i bet something awesome could come with combined efforts. Also, i noticed that under http://ftbwiki.org/Extra_Bees there are several Extra Bees liquid metals mentioned, and i bet that's where i got the idea of liquid diamonds & emeralds confused with your mod. Have you checked out the possibility of adding uses for those liquids and such?

Fred4106

Jul 29, 2019
If i see them getting into legal trouble because of it, it would be because they used actual music and sound clips from the game. It's perfectly fine and OK to make a mod based on any other media, but straight up copying stuff like music and sound clips might be crossing a line. If it's distributed via adfly links, then it can even be argued in court that it's making indirect profit. Yeah, not something i'd want to mess around with, most definitely. IP laws and patent law are two of the most touchy subjects in law, anywhere and everywhere in the world.

Also, @Fred4106 have you taken a look at this IC2 addon? http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8269 - Liquid UU Matter

It's open source in the under creative commons, and i bet it would do for some very neat and interesting integration with your mod. Since the mods are similar, and yet approach things from different angles, i bet something awesome could come with combined efforts. Also, i noticed that under http://ftbwiki.org/Extra_Bees there are several Extra Bees liquid metals mentioned, and i bet that's where i got the idea of liquid diamonds & emeralds confused with your mod. Have you checked out the possibility of adding uses for those liquids and such?
Probably. What sucks is that I released my mod before binnie added the liquid metals. Kinda pissing me off, but oh well... His liquids *should* work fine in my machines as long as he uses the liquid dictionary properly. Things like liquid diamond and such wont work, but other than that, it should all be good.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
If i see them getting into legal trouble because of it, it would be because they used actual music and sound clips from the game. It's perfectly fine and OK to make a mod based on any other media, but straight up copying stuff like music and sound clips might be crossing a line.

You mean like how portalgun uses the sound clips from portal and thaumcraft uses music clips from Dr Who?

Reactions: SuperFlorian12

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the way you deal with Liquid Metals has much more to do with the automation of ore processing and storage of ingots through liquids, and his has to do with processing bee products. Which is cool. One thing i'm not sure about, is how it will all play out.

Also, in a completely different note, in your mod, 1 mB is 8 ingots. I believe you might want to buff this number waaaaay higher... because as it is, 1 BC tank will hold about 2 stacks of ingots, while the smallest RC tank will hold about 54 stacks, which is rather non-efficient storage, as even vanilla double chests can hold the same amount of stacks in a 2 block space. Unless liquid storage of ingots is not really going to be a priority for your mod, but rather just another stage in ore processing & input for discounted crafting.

Some calculation follows:
Given that:
- Vanilla chests hold 27 stacks in 1 block
and
- 1 Block is 16 buckets in BC tanks and RC tanks
then:
If 1 block = 27 stacks, and 1 block = 16 buckets, then 16 buckets = 27 stacks, which means to equal the same storage density as vanilla chests, 1 mB should equal 108 ingots. It's a completely different number than the one you're using right now. Completely non-efficient for storage, paling in comparison even against vanilla single chests. Like i've said, non-issue if you don't want the liquid to be a storage medium for ingots, this is a non-issue, but if you want to make it an option, then to be balanced against vanilla storage, 108 is the magic number. Tweaking it in % increases will correspond to an exact increase in storage density as compared to a vanilla wooden chest. A Diamond Chest from Iron Chests mod holds 108 stacks, so it's 8 times the energy density of a wooden chest, meaning that to top that energy density, the number would have to be 8 times bigger, so, 864 ingots per bucket. I don't think that is what you're going for, though, since the diamond chest is quite a bit more expensive than either iron tanks or BC tanks. A much fairer non-vanilla single item storage comparison would be the Factorization Barrel, which is 64 stacks for 1 block, or 256 items per mB if you were to use it as a comparison base. It's just something i thought i should share.

Fred4106

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the way you deal with Liquid Metals has much more to do with the automation of ore processing and storage of ingots through liquids, and his has to do with processing bee products. Which is cool. One thing i'm not sure about, is how it will all play out.

Also, in a completely different note, in your mod, 1 mB is 8 ingots. I believe you might want to buff this number waaaaay higher... because as it is, 1 BC tank will hold about 2 stacks of ingots, while the smallest RC tank will hold about 54 stacks, which is rather non-efficient storage, as even vanilla double chests can hold the same amount of stacks in a 2 block space. Unless liquid storage of ingots is not really going to be a priority for your mod, but rather just another stage in ore processing & input for discounted crafting.

Some calculation follows:
Given that:
- Vanilla chests hold 27 stacks in 1 block
and
- 1 Block is 16 buckets in BC tanks and RC tanks
then:
If 1 block = 27 stacks, and 1 block = 16 buckets, then 16 buckets = 27 stacks, which means to equal the same storage density as vanilla chests, 1 mB should equal 108 ingots. It's a completely different number than the one you're using right now. Completely non-efficient for storage, paling in comparison even against vanilla single chests. Like i've said, non-issue if you don't want the liquid to be a storage medium for ingots, this is a non-issue, but if you want to make it an option, then to be balanced against vanilla storage, 108 is the magic number. Tweaking it in % increases will correspond to an exact increase in storage density as compared to a vanilla wooden chest. A Diamond Chest from Iron Chests mod holds 108 stacks, so it's 8 times the energy density of a wooden chest, meaning that to top that energy density, the number would have to be 8 times bigger, so, 864 ingots per bucket. I don't think that is what you're going for, though, since the diamond chest is quite a bit more expensive than either iron tanks or BC tanks. A much fairer non-vanilla single item storage comparison would be the Factorization Barrel, which is 64 stacks for 1 block, or 256 items per mB if you were to use it as a comparison base. It's just something i thought i should share.
I know that my mod is inefficient at storage. The problem is that if you want to fill a tank, it takes a much larger amount of ingots to do it. Having a bucket be worth 1000's of ingots is not practical with the liquid crafting bench either. Maybe I will bump it up to 16 ingots per bucket but... Its kinda like your saying "that item is op. Make your item more op so people use it instead." At some point, that type of thinking will kill balance in minecraft + mods. Maybe if I added a tank that is able to hold thousands of buckets worth of liquid that was only compatible with the liquid metals, but it still seems like a cheaty way to fix the problem.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but the real thing here, is how much more ineffective it is than vanilla... 2 stacks per BC tank compared to 27 stacks per wooden chest, is just crazy silly right there, 16 would bump this to 4 x 27, which is still a lot. If you aimed to being equal, 108 ingots per mB is not actually such a bad idea. Since liquids can be stored in fractions, 1 ingot is equal to 0,009259259 mB. Making them cost 0,008 in the liquid crafter is equal to saving 21 and a half ingots per 108 ingots used, or just to round it off to a nice number, 2,5 out of 10 ingots are not consumed.

With mods, it's trivially easy to end up gathering insane amounts of iron, and especially iron, since it's the most common metal in vanilla. After just a few quarries, barrels start filling up, upgrades are needed, etc... Especially when you factor in that with your ore processing line, we're getting 300% iron ingots per iron ore. That's not to say anything about the more common metals... Aluminum? Copper? It would still take a lot of time for the tanks to fill up, though it would be much more satisfying when they did. Like i said, if the liquid interface is just an intermediate stage for the cheaper crafting, then making sure to keep storage density balanced is not as important, but since the mod is all about liquid metals, wouldn't it be nice to be able to keep all your ingots stored as liquid?

Fred4106

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but the real thing here, is how much more ineffective it is than vanilla... 2 stacks per BC tank compared to 27 stacks per wooden chest, is just crazy silly right there, 16 would bump this to 4 x 27, which is still a lot. If you aimed to being equal, 108 ingots per mB is not actually such a bad idea. Since liquids can be stored in fractions, 1 ingot is equal to 0,009259259 mB. Making them cost 0,008 in the liquid crafter is equal to saving 21 and a half ingots per 108 ingots used, or just to round it off to a nice number, 2,5 out of 10 ingots are not consumed.

With mods, it's trivially easy to end up gathering insane amounts of iron, and especially iron, since it's the most common metal in vanilla. After just a few quarries, barrels start filling up, upgrades are needed, etc... Especially when you factor in that with your ore processing line, we're getting 300% iron ingots per iron ore. That's not to say anything about the more common metals... Aluminum? Copper? It would still take a lot of time for the tanks to fill up, though it would be much more satisfying when they did. Like i said, if the liquid interface is just an intermediate stage for the cheaper crafting, then making sure to keep storage density balanced is not as important, but since the mod is all about liquid metals, wouldn't it be nice to be able to keep all your ingots stored as liquid?
I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I do want people to use my mod to *store* metals as well as craft with them. The differences is that i wont make my mod O.P. in the process. The advantages of having liquid metals are greater than that of having ingots. Im not going to break the mechanics of the mod to make it the best option for storage in all situations. Golems for instance arn't always the best choice when moving things around, but people still use them because its much more fun than bc pipes. If you want to have a perfectly optimized base/system, then go ahead. Sorry about starting an argument with you. I hope you enjoy at least parts of the mod. In the end I made it because I want to use it so.... Have a nice day.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, take the mod discussion to a seperate thread please. Suggestions go here, not massive discussions.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
So as not to clutter the thread, and last post.

Hm, i don't get why you would think that being able to store the same amount of ingots in a 1 block space as a liquid as you can with vanilla chests would be OP in any way, shape, or form. I can see how it wouldn't look cool because the tanks would take forever to fill up. I'm not in your head so i don't know what features you have planned, but my suggestion would only make it so that you could store and move metals with a lot less lag than when moving them as stacks of items, yet store them in the exact same space density as vanilla gives you. 27 stacks per block. I'm not even suggesting you turn liquid storage into some sort of deep storage unit or extradimensional barrel for ingots, or saying that 1 bucket should equal a thousand ingots or something silly. It's a simple balancing of the storage density. Getting the same storage out of liquid metals that you get out of a vanilla chests. Are vanilla chests overpowered because they can store nearly 14 times more ingots than what you can currently store as liquid metal in your mod? Bumping to 16 ingots per mB would still make it a little less than 7 times less efficient than vanilla chests for storing ingots. It's still a lot less efficient.

I'm not in your head, so i don't know what features you have planned for the use of the liquid metals. But moving liquids as opposed to moving items doesn't have a lot of advantages. It does cause less lag, but that's about it. Storing liquids is arguably harder, since you have to go with either expensive Iron Tanks, tall BC tank towers, or the space hogs Xy tanks. Storing items has loads, loads more going for it. You have barrels and extradimensional upgrades for single item storages, you have diamond chests, and you have deep storage units, and AE's drives that compress the item's data into a single slot, not even a block. For teleportation, you have both liquid and item tesseracts, so that's equal, and now endertanks as well as ender chests. To move the items, you get pneumatic tubes, magtubes, and a slew of tube upgrades that make transporting them trivially easy. BC Waterproof pipes can't transport more than one liquid at once, so we're talking about multiple pipe networks to work out the different pipelines for the metals, and unlike pneumatic tubes, you can't paint them and use a sorting system to work out where everything goes.

Having a xytank filled with liquid gold is AWESOME, and really cool looking, but if it isn't holding close to what a diamond chest filled with gold can, what is it giving me, other than the coolness factor? We have all the disadvantages of working with liquids, and what is the advantage? So far, planned features include the ability to craft items at a discount. That's nice, but how will you, for instance, hook this up to a logistics pipe crafting network, or the AE crafting network? How large will the discount be, seeing as that you are constantly using up power to melt the ingots down into liquid, and since the tanks can't hold that many ingots, you still have to turn them back into ingots and spend even more resources with a normal sorting system, and many of the recipes are extremely expensive? Modular Power Suit's IC2 recipes literally EAT through stacks of iron. How about the fact that storage density is very, very important when you're playing in a server that works with plots and grief protection?

I was very disappointed when i actually took the time to do the math on the storage density aspect of things, because i was really looking forward of storing everything in liquid format, but now all i'm seeing are disadvantages and reasons for not doing that. To effectively store all of my processed metal, i'm forced to turn the liquid back into ingots, simply because storing all the different kinds of metals in liquid form would take so much space that it couldn't possibly be shrunken down to a single relatively large 12x12 room. At least the ingot former doesn't take energy to run. I was really hoping you would take a look at the math and see that the difference is too big, even when compared to vanilla.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I know that my mod is inefficient at storage. The problem is that if you want to fill a tank, it takes a much larger amount of ingots to do it. Having a bucket be worth 1000's of ingots is not practical with the liquid crafting bench either. Maybe I will bump it up to 16 ingots per bucket but... Its kinda like your saying "that item is op. Make your item more op so people use it instead." At some point, that type of thinking will kill balance in minecraft + mods. Maybe if I added a tank that is able to hold thousands of buckets worth of liquid that was only compatible with the liquid metals, but it still seems like a cheaty way to fix the problem.

If it helps a standerd tank holds 8 buckets. A standerd wooden chest holds 27 stacks. So maybe (27/8=3.375) one bucket could hold 4 stacks worth. That's about as balanced as you can get. They can use railcraft and Xycraft tanks to hold more in a given space.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
A standard BC Tank has 16 buckets worth of space, i already made the calculations and it's less than 2 stacks, it's exactly 108 items to give same storage space, he already said he wouldn't do it because of how he thinks his mod should be, and there's already a warning in place so as to not keep the discussion going... better to just drop the subject.

in another note... A very simple mod i'd like to see added as standard to all modpacks would be KeepMyStats. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1094245-151keepmystats/. Author has already given permission for any modpack to add it, and what it fixes is a problem everyone experiences on a regular basis, and that gets kind of annoying after a while. Your achievements keep resetting. This mod fixes this. It's simple. It's elegant.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
A standard BC Tank has 16 buckets worth of space, i already made the calculations and it's less than 2 stacks, it's exactly 108 items to give same storage space, he already said he wouldn't do it because of how he thinks his mod should be, and there's already a warning in place so as to not keep the discussion going... better to just drop the subject.

in another note... A very simple mod i'd like to see added as standard to all modpacks would be KeepMyStats. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1094245-151keepmystats/. Author has already given permission for any modpack to add it, and what it fixes is a problem everyone experiences on a regular basis, and that gets kind of annoying after a while. Your achievements keep resetting. This mod fixes this. It's simple. It's elegant.
I second this, if it means anything. I already use this in all of my instances, and resetting achievements is as easy as temporarily uninstalling the mod.

Basically, every time a modpack updates, even if it's just a new version of a mod, all of the achievements reset, making achievement hunting quite difficult. This mod is fully compatible with forge, and fixes any statistical resets simply by making minecraft ignore statistics changes. Doesn't stop the check or anything, just takes the reset and says "nope."[DOUBLEPOST=1364461280][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...s-of-experience-2040-downloads/#entry20796706

store-able exp, its very balanced and does not use levels, but exp that is stored
I must say that I prefer the liquid XP mod. It doesn't just store the XP, once it's in liquid form, it cannot be reverted. It also adds automatic enchanting machines. It's very techy and works great with buildcraft and redpower. Also, if someone says "misc peripherals already has automatic enchanting!" my response is: not everyone knows LUA, and not everyone likes coding. liquid XP would give everyone a nice way of automating the enchantment of books, not just LUA-savvy people.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I think I need to come to the rescue there.

Tale of Kingdoms does work quite well with the packs, I personally tried it two weeks ago.

There are only three downsides with it being with the pack.
First, it spawns some quite intrusive structures in the world. You can lower the spawn rate of the villages and hell spawns, so it's not that much of a problem.

Second, it doesn't clear up to sky limit when spawning structures, so you sometimes have weird overhangs along with the flat cliff faces. It tends to cut through the terrain quite badly too. I couldn't quite solve that one, but if you lower the spawn rate of the structures for the first point, you have less of this too.

Third, it is balanced around being played alone or with Millenaire. The whole balance of this game is around coins that mobs drop. The problem being that as soon as you make an XP farm, you end up with tons and tons of money, making it really easy to buy diamond tools and armors, or iron ones, and turning them back makes you actually farm diamond and iron for no real trade-off compared to without the mod.

The third point is the main reason why I disabled the mod after some times, because I wasn't enjoying that I had tons of money from just gaining enough levels to enchant 2 picks and an armor set.

But apart from this, it adds quite a nice village for you to spend some wood and cobblestone, as well as some NPCs that you can ask to guard your home against monsters.

The SMP part not being really complete right now, it's not a good thing to consider adding it to a pack right now, but I feel that if the author manages to put config options to lower the amount of money dropped, or some kind of balance, it could really be fun to be played on a server.

So yeah, the mod is great, but SSP only, once the SMP version is ready, I might come here again and submit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.