Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Also, hopefully a nice simple 1.10.2 question: I know about the wireless RF transmitter from ExtraUtils2, but can you still transfer power via transfer pipes, or is that no longer an option?

I've got a pretty simple pack, and while its got its fair share of power generation, there aren't actually many RF transfer options for me! I was hoping for something a bit less of a faff than the Actually Additions lasers, but I'm wondering if that's my only option! I don't have EnderIO, Immersive Engineering, or RFtools (not sure if that even has power transfer...) so I'm pretty limited there.
Yes, you can't transfer power through pipes anymore. Wireless only.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

leosky

Jul 29, 2019
Please someone help.
I have 21k yellorium and wanna not have to worry about energy anymore.
What's the biggest most efficient extreme reactor design.
Costs are not an issue.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Please someone help.
Costs are not an issue.

What pack and version are you playing on? How much power are you looking to produce?

You can use this utility to plan out a new build: http://br.sidoh.org/

For the most simplicity build it taller and insert the control rods to a smaller percentage. Use liquid ender pearls if you have that as an option for coolant. You only have to place it at the top layer of the reactor and it will flow down, you will need a bucket for each open air block you have in the top layer. Don't let the control rods touch each other in a N, S, E, W direction but diagonally is okay. Make sure coolant fluid or block make contact in each of the cardinal directions.

See what you can build and let us know how it turned out.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Please someone help.
Costs are not an issue.

I feel like this question gets asked once a week at minimum. A quick search of the forums offered up a few threads dedicated to Big Reactors builds (Extreme Reactors is currently just a 1.10 port of the 1.7 mod).

One thread that offered some insight:
https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/fuel-efficicent-big-reactor.95749/

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@leosky This sounds familiar - I feel like you've asked this elsewhere :p

As an aside point to the excellent ones made by @zBob and @Inaeo: If you're looking for efficiency, one way to improve it is to have more cooling around the outside. The former of these two designs obviously costs more materials in terms of reactor blocks, but if you take a look; they have the same layout and number of rods, however one has three blocks of cooling between the outermost rods and the wall, and the other only has one.

Design 1: 23,554.29 RF/t

Design 2: 16,975.86 RF/t

If cost of mats is no object, then extra cooling makes a difference.

leosky

Jul 29, 2019
@leosky This sounds familiar - I feel like you've asked this elsewhere :p

As an aside point to the excellent ones made by @zBob and @Inaeo: If you're looking for efficiency, one way to improve it is to have more cooling around the outside. The former of these two designs obviously costs more materials in terms of reactor blocks, but if you take a look; they have the same layout and number of rods, however one has three blocks of cooling between the outermost rods and the wall, and the other only has one.

Design 1: 23,554.29 RF/t

Design 2: 16,975.86 RF/t

If cost of mats is no object, then extra cooling makes a difference.

I'm crafting stuff atm so some is missing, but I wanna know if I'm doing it right...

I'm doing "Design 1", 11x11x3.
I have 2 questions:
1)seeing how the liquid ender is 3 blocks tall, what do I put on top of it on the roof, the glass? the casing? and how do I fill every block with liquid ender? i cant fill spots that arent adjacent to walls
2)the 3x3 cube in the angles are just air? or casing? if it's air like it seems from the design, then how do I make the ender not spill?

Attachments

• 2017-02-17_17.56.08.png
    2017-02-17_17.56.08.png
    649.4 KB · Views: 49
D

Deleted member 54080

So, I did a bit of searching around, and I don't see anything newer than several years & several versions ago.

Is there an updated ore distribution chart kicking around? I'm using the vanilla Direwolf20 1.10 pack directly from the curse site, and what I used to use as Y guidelines for early game stuff like iron and lead is not accurate any more.

Thanks!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
So, I did a bit of searching around, and I don't see anything newer than several years & several versions ago.

Is there an updated ore distribution chart kicking around? I'm using the vanilla Direwolf20 1.10 pack directly from the curse site, and what I used to use as Y guidelines for early game stuff like iron and lead is not accurate any more.

Thanks!

Just Enough Resources (JER) should provide that info for you in game. If you search for ways to make ores in JEI, JER should show a graph with spawn details including a graph. Not sure if I've seen anything with them all compiled on one graph since 1.6.

D

Deleted member 54080

Just Enough Resources (JER) should provide that info for you in game. If you search for ways to make ores in JEI, JER should show a graph with spawn details including a graph. Not sure if I've seen anything with them all compiled on one graph since 1.6.

Ahh, that wasn't a thing the last time I played. I'll go take a peek. Thank you!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm crafting stuff atm so some is missing, but I wanna know if I'm doing it right...

I'm doing "Design 1", 11x11x3.
I have 2 questions:
1)seeing how the liquid ender is 3 blocks tall, what do I put on top of it on the roof, the glass? the casing? and how do I fill every block with liquid ender? i cant fill spots that arent adjacent to walls
2)the 3x3 cube in the angles are just air? or casing? if it's air like it seems from the design, then how do I make the ender not spill?
The roof needs to be either reactor glass or reactor casing. And you definitely can fill spots - you can either fill in most of the roof and place the fluid "against" the underside of the blocks, or fill in with a bit of cobble and place against that, then remove it. Remember that because liquid Ender flows down (and because you don't need source blocks, flowing is fine), you only need to place the top layer! :)

It is air, but you can fill it with anything, glass or whatever, as it doesn't matter. It doesn't make a difference if the liquid Ender spills within the reactor either! And here's why: because of the way the mechanics work, the mod ONLY takes the blocks directly to north, south, east or west of the fuel rod blocks into account! Diagonals don't matter to a given fuel rod.

Wait, just adding more coolant gives you more power for free?!?
Yep! Well, not for free - the bigger reactor casing costs more resources ;) but that aside, yes - more RF for the same fuel rods.

leosky

Jul 29, 2019
The roof needs to be either reactor glass or reactor casing. And you definitely can fill spots - you can either fill in most of the roof and place the fluid "against" the underside of the blocks, or fill in with a bit of cobble and place against that, then remove it. Remember that because liquid Ender flows down (and because you don't need source blocks, flowing is fine), you only need to place the top layer! :)

It is air, but you can fill it with anything, glass or whatever, as it doesn't matter. It doesn't make a difference if the liquid Ender spills within the reactor either! And here's why: because of the way the mechanics work, the mod ONLY takes the blocks directly to north, south, east or west of the fuel rod blocks into account! Diagonals don't matter to a given fuel rod.

Yep! Well, not for free - the bigger reactor casing costs more resources ;) but that aside, yes - more RF for the same fuel rods.

What about the 4 areas in the angles, do I just fill em with casing?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
What about the 4 areas in the angles, do I just fill em with casing?
Like I said, you can leave them air, or fill them with glass or anything that is allowed in the interior of the reactor; I would go with glass if you want to fill them. NOT reactor casing, as I suspect that will not be acceptable when it comes to the structure completing.

leosky

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said, you can leave them air, or fill them with glass or anything that is allowed in the interior of the reactor; I would go with glass if you want to fill them. NOT reactor casing, as I suspect that will not be acceptable when it comes to the structure completing.
I find it kind of impossible to fill in the ender liquid in the areas with adjacent colums, I tried sealing them with cobblestone and doing one column by one but the moment I break the cobble to fill one that is adjacent to an already-filled-column, it just gets inundated and it's impossible to see if and where to drop the bucket. aarrrrg

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Flowing is good. All you need to do is place it in the top layer. You don't need columns of it. Just place a single source one the top and let gravity do the work.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Playing fine all day yesterday. Today, it will not load. First try, my PC actually crashed. Ever since, the game crashes while loading at the same point every time. The last mod shown before the crash is forge multipart, which I can't even delete. The Curse client puts them back every time.

Since I logged out normally last night and did nothing but turn the PC on this morning, it likely curse client is the problem. What's the easiest way to run my game without the launcher?

Edit: NM, looks like I was allocating too much RAM. Which is still weird because it worked fine yesterday, but that's overkill anyway

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Playing fine all day yesterday. Today, it will not load. First try, my PC actually crashed. Ever since, the game crashes while loading at the same point every time. The last mod shown before the crash is forge multipart, which I can't even delete. The Curse client puts them back every time.

Since I logged out normally last night and did nothing but turn the PC on this morning, it likely curse client is the problem. What's the easiest way to run my game without the launcher?

Edit: NM, looks like I was allocating too much RAM. Which is still weird because it worked fine yesterday, but that's overkill anyway

I'm going to answer this anyway. MultiMC is a lightweight way to launch packs and maintain multiple packs/worlds with ease. I moved away from Curse launcher because Curse adds it's own Java arguments which conflict with a set that work quite well for me. Also, due to my limited computing resources being so precious to me, having less of them tied up in a launcher only seemed logical. I do use the Curse launcher to edit and maintain my packs, but MultiMC wins when I actually want to play.

Reactions: Alexiy