Advanced Solar panel too expensive?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you find this ridiculous?

• This is Ridiculous

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • It's not ridiculous

Votes: 60 68.2%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2019
In response to the OP:
If I calculated correctly, using a basic IC2 solar panel to make 9UUM (7 for Iridium, 2 for other thing) in a world where there is 20 minutes of sunlight, and the server is constantly running, it would take 86 REAL LIFE days to make (plus you then have to use a diamond and other various materials to make a solar that outputs 8 EU/t.
So, the mod author changed the configs to allow recipe changes (and added awesome new solar hats :D)
Minecraft day = 20 minutes
20 ticks/second
60 seconds/minute
60 minutes/hour
24 hours/day

Basic IC2 solar panel gives 1 EU/t during day and none during night
1*20=20 Eu/S
20*60= 1200 EU/Min
1200*20=24000/MC day
Assuming you are on a server, there are 24 hours * 60 mins/hour in one real life day/30 mins per minecraft (day+night)=48 days and nights on MC in one RL day.
24000*48= 1152000EU/one rea life day

9 UUM= 16,666,666*9=149999994 EU to get 9 UUM
149999994/1152000=130.208328125
So actually I think it's 130 real life days

Berry

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure! My first base I set up was in a meadow adjacent to redrock and I remember hopping back and forth across the biome lines during a rainstorm. Also, my friend went the solar route and set up his base in a different redrock biome because it wasn't supposed to rain there. He says it doesn't and whenever I've visited it hasn't rained.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If I would have ever set up solar for production other than charging up jetpacks or running a quick macerate/smelt, I'd be sure it was in deserts, redrock, or wasteland.
in redrock there is no rain?

news!
Pretty sure! My first base I set up was in a meadow adjacent to redrock and I remember hopping back and forth across the biome lines during a rainstorm. Also, my friend went the solar route and set up his base in a different redrock biome because it wasn't supposed to rain there. He says it doesn't and whenever I've visited it hasn't rained.

Rain is a global condition which cannot be avoided via any of the biomes that don't render rain, sadly.

Berry

Jul 29, 2019
Rain is a global condition which cannot be avoided via any of the biomes that don't render rain, sadly.
So that means the solar generation slows down when it's raining in the world regardless of it being rendered? Oh! lol awesome. Haha, love minecraft logic.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
So that means the solar generation slows down when it's raining in the world regardless of it being rendered? Oh! lol awesome. Haha, love minecraft logic.

Yup, isn't that just divine? On the BRIGHT side, if you stick with MystCraft for long enough, you can get an eternal daytime world (zero length modified for the sun symbol I believe works), and no weather, which is excellent.

But yeah, nether lava or Steve's cart tree farms are just that much easier, sadly.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019

Rain is not a global condition and varies from chunk to chunk. Setting up solar panels in a biome (ie desert) where it does not rain is and always has been a good idea where possible because you will get full power generation as long as it's daytime. This also applies to blulectric power generated by kinetic generators. Placing the generators in a biome where it does not rain will reduce the total power generated over time.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, isn't that just divine? On the BRIGHT side, if you stick with MystCraft for long enough, you can get an eternal daytime world (zero length modified for the sun symbol I believe works), and no weather, which is excellent.

But yeah, nether lava or Steve's cart tree farms are just that much easier, sadly.
I kind of disagree on the lava thing because eventually it will run out.
The tree farm it will take some work to get set up but if you planned it correctly you could get it to go from farm>enderchest>furnace>generators
But still that require THAT much more work whereas the hardest part of a solar is Making it and finding a place to put it :p[DOUBLEPOST=1363743483][/DOUBLEPOST]
how are you to make a mass fabricator if gregtech is enabled? you can't unless you go through the config and turn it back on
Am I the only one who finds that cheaty?
Why not just man up and find four (or two depending on silk touch) iridium? It's really NOT that hard!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Rain is not a global condition and varies from chunk to chunk. Setting up solar panels in a biome (ie desert) where it does not rain is and always has been a good idea where possible because you will get full power generation as long as it's daytime. This also applies to blulectric power generated by kinetic generators. Placing the generators in a biome where it does not rain will reduce the total power generated over time.

I placed a solar panel down in a desert, confirmed that it was charging a battery, and then enabled rain. It stopped charging the battery and the sun symbol went away. Do you have any tests to show otherwise?

I kind of disagree on the lava thing because eventually it will run out.
Eh, it's not too hard to move the pump.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I was always wondering if it were possible to make a 6 axis frame ship that could send down a pump every x blocks and see if there was lava there, and if there wasn't, it'd retract and move some more blocks in hopes of a lava lake. But at that point, you've gotten away from lava pumping and hopefully gotten into an energy generation method that doesn't have such a big footprint (not the nether's environment, but my RAM).

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
I placed a solar panel down in a desert, confirmed that it was charging a battery, and then enabled rain. It stopped charging the battery and the sun symbol went away. Do you have any tests to show otherwise?

Eh, it's not too hard to move the pump.
Which type of solar? The basic, from my memory, don't give any EU/t off when raining...
And sure it's not too hard to move the pump but like I said that much easier. Oh well to each his own each person has his own style of play and whil I'll admit that solars are kind of cheaty they are easy therefore I like them.