Advanced Solar panel too expensive?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you find this ridiculous?

• This is Ridiculous

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • It's not ridiculous

Votes: 60 68.2%

• Total voters

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
So I just started a new world 2 days ago in the ultimate pack and as I did in the mindcrack pack I went for solar panels but once I made my first 2 solar panels I realized that the advanced solar panel recipe had been changed from taking just an advanced machine block to taking a ridiculous amount of resources such as uu-matter (which mind u takes 17 million eu in a matter fabricator) and iridium ingots not to mention the resources required to make the matter fabricator and successfully power it. As well as compared to the hybrid solar panel the advanced only outputs 1/8 times as much as energy. So does anybody else find this change ridiculous?

Also is it a good idea to use a tier 5 wither skeleton spawner to power several generators? I already have the shard completed.

dragonhippie

Jul 29, 2019
it is indeed ridiculous, but greg-tech modder declines to change it, and in his wiki/change-log he advises people not to ask to change it or add in the config to make it the original Recipe.

Taken from the Changelog =
I changed tons of Crafting Recipes, including Mixed Metal Ingots, Dense Copper Plates and almost every Machine. I won't add any Config to revert that massive change!

So all you can do is deal with it :) cause it's not going to change.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
it is indeed ridiculous, but greg-tech modder declines to change it, and in his wiki/change-log he advises people not to ask to change it or add in the config to make it the original Recipe.

Advanced/hybrid/ultimate solar panels are not gregtech.

The advanced solars modder added alternate recipes through a config option. The update with the config option is probably out already, but won't be in the FTB packs for 1-2 releases depending on how quick they get and test new version.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019

Some people hate GT so much that they blame Greg for things that he didn't do, like this. Greg didn't make the advanced solar recipe change

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
So I just started a new world 2 days ago in the ultimate pack and as I did in the mindcrack pack I went for solar panels but once I made my first 2 solar panels I realized that the advanced solar panel recipe had been changed from taking just an advanced machine block to taking a ridiculous amount of resources such as uu-matter (which mind u takes 17 million eu in a matter fabricator) and iridium ingots not to mention the resources required to make the matter fabricator and successfully power it. As well as compared to the hybrid solar panel the advanced only outputs 1/8 times as much as energy. So does anybody else find this change ridiculous?

No. Solar is boring, so it should be boring to craft. IC2 power is not supposed to be free by design. Make a reactor, make a biogas farm, refine oil, use exp, etc. Something, ANYTHING. Heck, even factorization solar to a steam turbine is more interesting.

Tiny boxes that output EU magically and pay for themselves in less than 3 days of chunkloaded gameplay are pretty damn good.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019

I changed tons of Crafting Recipes, including Mixed Metal Ingots, Dense Copper Plates and almost every Machine. I won't add any Config to revert that massive change!

That one was referred to mixed metal ingot, at latest version you don't need rolling machine to craft mixed metal ingot (you still need rolling machine to create iridium metal ingot), the process was moved to plate bending machine to make the plate of different metals, and then 3 different metal plates at vanilla crafting table to make the mixed metal ingot. He also changed the way you create easy circuit.

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
ok what would be a good bio gas farm setup? Because I attempted a biogas farm once before and got no bio gas production.

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
ok what would be a good bio gas farm setup? Because I attempted a biogas farm once before and got no bio gas production.

The usual setup is feeding saplings from some sort of tree farm (whether a Steve's Carts one, a Forestry one, a MFR harvester, or whatever else you could come up with) into a fermenter to produce biomass, then from there into a number of stills to produce biofuel (unless you want to stick with biomass). What you do with the biofuel is up to you, but a common strategy is to feed it into boilers and use the steam for power generation (with power converters, you can easily turn the MJ from steam engines into EU if you don't want to throw a couple stacks of steel into a turbine).

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

You're a _complete_ and utter derp. The advanced panel changes were made by the advanced solar mod author, who is not Greg.

The quote you cherry picked is referring to changes wholly inside the GregTech mod where Greg is changing things about machines added by his own mod. There is no config for that (similar to how most mods, including the advanced panel chane, do not have config options for changes to their own mod. (There _is_ a config option to return to the base IC2 method of making plates and alloys, but you lose the alternative metals that have better returns)

All changes GregTech makes to other mods have config options to turn that change off. Every single one.

Reactions: Guswut

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
I find it ridiculous! Now advanced solar panels are for middle to end game! I accepted the high cost of hybrid and ultimate solar panels but the advanced were fine. I think they needed to have to cost a little more but not have to have uu matter and iridium!

Reactions: Chocorate

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, it doesn't affect me either way. I don't use advanced solars. I haven't even looked up the new recipes.
That being said, they used to be expensive as well. Well, there used to be a more expensive mode which required a bit of UUM to make the final level of solar panel, and it required uranium for previous levels, and condensed coal chunks for the first level. I never cared either way, though, as I use Compact Solars, which in my opinion, is more balanced.

But if they require Iridium and UUM for later tiers, then that is somewhat expensive. Too expensive? Not in my eyes, considering how much EU they produce.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I have a fix for all your problems:
Uninstall advanced solars
Install compact solars
Upgrade your solar panels every time you craft more
Blame gregtech, because you always blame him
???
Profit!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it should be boring to craft. Not difficult. They should have just kept them easy to make and nerfed the eu output a ton.

History has shown that people will, given the choice, just keep making more of those boring boxes rather than use a real power solution. It's sad, because it's possible to make way cooler systems that output more energy in less space with less cost to the server and more originality. But... solar!

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I love how people always complain when solar get nerfed.

Before, the standard solar didn't need electronic circuits, but copper cables instead.
This was done to prevent the 3x3 chuncks covered in solar panels that some people made on servers, badly adding to the lag.

Seriously, we now even have a decent way to convert steam directly to EU without steel, putting in place a boiler can be done quite early, and it can also power your TE machines.

I guess that wanting something that requires no further work or resources after being crafted does sound good, but it is also boring, at least for me.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I love how people always complain when solar get nerfed.

At some point, it would just make sense to remove solar entirely as those that control these attempted ways to balance solar panels don't really understand the concept of balance, and they're just making it more and more absurd to try and use.

Good game solar panels, we've still got RedPower2 to remember you by.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The newest version of factorization has a solar solution I actually like. Factorization's solar system has always been unique, but now it interfaces with other mods and requires a bunch of different kinds of tools to work with. I just wish he would list out the numbers so I could really see if it's worth dropping a metric ton of silver into a mirror array for steam turbines. That is a solar system I could be proud of.

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
I like the new solar recipe in ultimate and I already have their construction automated. Tonight I will make a video showing tier three automated.