Advanced Solar panel too expensive?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you find this ridiculous?

• This is Ridiculous

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • It's not ridiculous

Votes: 60 68.2%

• Total voters

Vixation

Jul 29, 2019
Gus, i Like you, but u have to disagree, i think the cost should increase per tier. This because, as stated before, the real cost of solars lie within the space they require. So if you dump 8 blocks into one, it should cost you more than just a transformer extra.

I also like to point out that i love solar panels, I'm lazy, and u love it :) but i do see that it is SO easy, it shouldn't be cheap. I really like the fact it's so darn expensive, because after I build a few, i decided to make à methane power plant, And it's awesome(although not yet fully automated)! Solars are nice, but the nerfing does get me off my fat ass sometimes(JK my body is FIIIiIIINEE :)), and that's something i can appreciate :)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well, you are dumping 8 32 eu/t into 1 128 eu/t, and if my math isn't wrong, 8 x 32 is 256, not 128.

compacting = lost energy.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Gus, i Like you, but u have to disagree, i think the cost should increase per tier. This because, as stated before, the real cost of solars lie within the space they require. So if you dump 8 blocks into one, it should cost you more than just a transformer extra.

I also like to point out that i love solar panels, I'm lazy, and u love it :) but i do see that it is SO easy, it shouldn't be cheap. I really like the fact it's so darn expensive, because after I build a few, i decided to make à methane power plant, And it's awesome(although not yet fully automated)! Solars are nice, but the nerfing does get me off my fat ass sometimes(JK my body is FIIIiIIINEE :)), and that's something i can appreciate :)
The whole point of the array's was that they take up less space, and thus cause less lag from constant E-Net updates. Advanced Solars is not in my setup for one reason; the suck. Always have. They were designed as competition to Compact Solars, a needless move because Compact Solars was designed to combat lag on servers because of people setting up thousands of solars. One HV Solar Array is equal to 8x3 solars. And you have to craft all of those solars. And transformers. Advanced Solars was designed as a "Oh hey I can provide more EU/tick then Compact Solars" mod, and has been used everywhere solely because it provides more EU/tick. Now everyones upset because it costs more? It was insanely cheap for what it was worth. They were Over Powered for the cost(yes, I'll open that can of worms, thank you very much). Now, I don't know, because they cost a lot more. Using Iridium even. And UUM.
So if everyone wants to bitch about how they cost too much now, they used to cost next to nothing. And that's worse then it being expensive.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
512 eu/t generation. Lots of reasons to use that voltage internally to make sure multiple machines on a LV line get the power they need when run in combination. Unless you're using GT automation, in which case one LV line in is Just Fine™.

Yeah, I told you that, heh.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
This because, as stated before, the real cost of solars lie within the space they require. So if you dump 8 blocks into one, it should cost you more than just a transformer extra.

Why, though?

Space is extremely cheap (and a non-issue entirely when you get MystCraft ready and able), and as such it isn't at all worth the cost associated with the upgrades.

As already stated a few times, the main reason for compacting solar panels is to save on extra calculations the server has to do.

In increased cost of cables for the higher tiers offsets the cable costs you'd have with tier one solar arrays (copper cables and LV transformers to link them together).

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
well, you are dumping 8 32 eu/t into 1 128 eu/t, and if my math isn't wrong, 8 x 32 is 256, not 128.

If I recall correctly,

Standard Solar Cell = 1 EU/t
Low array = 8 EU/t (1x8)
Med array = 64 EU/t (8x8)
High array = 512 EU/t (64x8)

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019

Tier 1: 1 EU/t (Basic solar panel)
Tier 2 (8 tier 1 blocks): 8*1 EU/t = 8 EU/t (LV solar array, Advanced solar panel)
Tier 3 (8 tier 2 blocks): 8*8 EU/t = 64 EU/t (MV solar array, Hybrid solar panel)
Tier 4 (8 tier 3 blocks): 8*64 EU/t = 512 EU/t (HV solar array, Ultimate hybrid solar panel)

Unless there's something wacky in there somewhere and there are 32 EU/t and 128 EU/t panels.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
wtf I'm talking about compact solars, and compact solars generate 32, 128, and 512, from what I know.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
Man I wish I could code java or even HTML ( :p ) for that matter. This summer I want to make a mod to compliment GregTech or IC2. Anyone wanna help?

I wish I kept up with Java programming that I did back in post-secondary. Now I fear that I can't even write a "Hello World" java program without looking it all up again.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Compact (and advanced) also have good aesthetic uses. Want to power your build? Plop a single panel up top! Now, nuclear works well too, that can be stored in a basement without anyone seeing, and instead of having the energy being on the top of your house and trying to get it to the floor, nuclear is underground already and has no problem running under the floor until it "pops up" for a machine, and continues running under the floor for nobody to see.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Because people like to complain! I love to complain!

THIS SCREEN IS TOO BRIGHT :eek:
...But I don't want to turn down the brightness!

I have too many things open!!
...But what if I use them??

#FirstWorldProblems
#SWAQQ

Reactions: Warpig

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
well, that's even better, why the hell are people even complaining?

This thread is dealing with the change to Advanced Solar, not Compact Solar, which has yet to change in that regard. Compact Solar, though, is not installed by default in the Ultimate or MindCrack pack.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
then change it? it ain't that hard, not like you need to go to mars first, just edit modpack > add mod, disable the other.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
then change it? it ain't that hard, not like you need to go to mars first, just edit modpack > add mod, disable the other.

Why do you constantly try and dance around the simple point of a thread/topic instead of addressing it? Your "solution" is a workaround that a majority of people that use the FTB launcher will never be able to figure out, and as such it is not a solution to them, even though they're dealing with the same problem of solar panels being irrationally balanced.

Please don't reply unless you actually want to stay within the realm of the topic, alright?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I wish I kept up with Java programming that I did back in post-secondary. Now I fear that I can't even write a "Hello World" java program without looking it all up again.

Professional software developers are perpetually in the "consult the documentation mode". It's a poorly kept secret that one of the keys to being good at writing software is to maintain complex state in you head while you confirm and consult external sources. Having a great memory helps, but eventually what you need exceeds any but the most trained mind's capacity to hold all at once, and even then that'd be specialized in the extreme.