[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Small updates this week. I decided we need more housing for people than I currently have. Jobs -> Housing -> Jobs or so the loop seems. Good thing the citizens don't have extended families...

Also a starting a little more steel production using Immersive Engineering.

Reactions: Senseidragon

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Mobius! I love to see you keeping this alive. If I wasn't reduced to playing on a potato-powered toaster right now, I'd probably start up my own R2R in 1.10... but it's a bit short on interesting content mods as-is and I can't run all the ones I want because toaster powered by potato power :-(

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Thanks Mobius! I love to see you keeping this alive. If I wasn't reduced to playing on a potato-powered toaster right now, I'd probably start up my own R2R in 1.10... but it's a bit short on interesting content mods as-is and I can't run all the ones I want because toaster powered by potato power :-(

I hear you. If you've been watching my videos my own machine has been struggling with the 1.7.10 mods. 1.10 though... Oh when and if Reika updates Chromaticraft I will be all over that. In the mean time I'll be checking out a few mod changes and experimenting with transitioning my Regency to the new version.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly, if it weren't for potato here I'd still be playing on 1.7; 1.8+ doesn't add any mods that are compelling enough for me to leave 1.7.10, there's a lot of missing functionality that I've grown accustomed to. Plus, Reika's mods :p

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Alright, apparently I've been missing out on updates here so here's the past two weeks of progress. In the first I'm focusing on improving our power situation with gold city level power, which by my calculation is Improved Windmills.

In the second I'm improving city lighting with powered lights to keep the mobs at bay.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Senseidragon

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
In case anyone is interested, I'm currently doing a rewrite of the roleplay building challenge, trying to streamline things and make it a little more organized. It's based on the same concept as R2R but I've already started to deviate from the original and I'm only in the wood stage. I'm also putting together a modpack based on it, I will be including all of the evil things from Enviromine, the only things I've changed from default so far are torches burning and food spoiling. I like the idea of burning torches, but in practice they're a bit too burny. Also I've created a storyline that lays out a lot of the basic requirements in diary format as opposed to giant lists. I'm looking at questing/acheivement mods to facilitate storytelling and stage gating. Realism is my first goal, but I do have some magic mods included for roleplay. If anyone has suggestions or is interested in me posting my modlist and playthrough when I'm done writing let me know.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hi @fimbrethil! What you've described certainly sounds interesting, and I for one would be happy to see what ideas and enhancements you've come up with.

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
:) great, thanks sensei. I've seen your R2R utility mod mentioned in some of the threads on this, what is that one called? May I use it?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The mod is called Refugee to Regent Utilities.

You're free to do whatever you want with it. You can find it both on Curse and Mods.io. I really need to revamp it to be 1.8.x/1.9.x/1.10.x compatible however, and maybe tweak it a bit to allow the modpack developer to refine the conditions and penalties that apply more than they can now. Adding more functionality is always an option, I just haven't seen anyone recently post something in this thread with a "I wish there was a mod that could ..." :)

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I have it installed now, it's beautifully evil. Here's my modlist so far:

AgriCraft
Applied Energistics 2 - this will have altered recipes to make it an end game mod
Archimedes' Ships Plus
AromaBackup
Ars Magica 2
Backpacks
Balkon's WeaponMod
Better Builder's Wands
BiblioCraft - includes all extra wood editions
Binnie's Mods
Botania
Carpenter's Blocks
ChickenChunks
Chisel
ChromatiCraft
CoFH Core
Ender Storage
EnviroMine
ExpandedRedstone
ExtrabiomesXL
ExtraCells2
Forestry
Forge Multi Part
Hunger Overhaul
Immersive Engineering
Immersive Integration
Industrial Craft 2
Inventory Tweaks
Jabba
JourneyMap
Lost Books
Magic Bees
MineTweaker3
Mo' Creatures - spawn rates are heavily reduced from defaults
Natura
NEI - also addons and integration
NetherOres
New Dawn
NotEnoughKeys
NotEnoughResources
OpenBlocks - I'm going to be disabling a lot of these items, it's mostly just for XP management and building guides
Railcraft
Refugee to Regent Utilities
Reliquary
Roguelike Dungeons
Router Reborn
Simple Achievments
Sound Filters
Squidless
StartingInventory
NoMoreRecipeConflict
Storage Drawers - includes all extra wood packs
Super Crafting Frame
UsefulFood
Waila - also Plugins
Wawla
WTF's Expedition: CaveBiomes, Ores, Trees, and Tweaks

Anything that looks out of place or game breaking? Any suggestions for stuff I might have missed?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The list looks pretty decent, but until I've had a chance to hear your thought process on the role-playing elements and how they fit in, it's too soon to say what will work well together or not.

For example, on the Tech side, you have AE2, IndustrialCraft, Immersive Engineering, Forestry, and Railcraft. Botania is also very tech-like, despite the magic feel of the mod. More aptly, I'd say it's very receptive to automation.

Notably missing are mods like Factorization, RotaryCraft (despite Chromaticraft being present) Tinker's Construct, or Thermal Expansion. I'm not averse to your choices, but it'd be interesting to hear the thoughts behind why you chose what you did.

From a roleplay aspect, are you ignoring villagers, or are you somehow integrating them into the experience? Again, things like Minecraft Comes Alive, Helpful Villagers, Millenaire, Ancient Warfare 2, or Custom NPCs all bring different things to the table. Some come with their share of quirks and headaches as well, so it is perfectly reasonable to completely leave them out too.

Again, touching on roleplay aspects, mods like CraftHeraldry, Ye Gamol Chattels, KitchenCraft, Crayfish's Furniture Mod, or DecoCraft all open up some possibilities. Some are *ahem* a little sillier than others, but maybe something fits the theme of what you're shooting for.

If you're shooting for ramping up the difficulty, as it seems you may be leaning toward with mods like Hunger Overhaul and Enviromine, you may also want to take a peek at mods like Better Beginnings, Hardcore Darkness and/or Zombie Awareness. Since you've already included Chromaticraft, I might note that Reika also has a mod called LegacyCraft which offers a few tweaks to standard gameplay.

As for Magic Mods, I see Botania (sorta magic) and Ars Magica 2, with Blood Magic, Witchery, Aura Cascade and Thaumcraft not making any appearances. I'm not sure whether Chromaticraft counts as Tech or Magic or something in-between. The thoughts behind these choices can also be enlightening.

Given that Tinker's Construct was missing, is there a purpose for Natura? The berry bushes? The big honkin' redwood trees? Or is it something else that Forestry and EBXL don't already cover?

Magic Bees has me scratching my head. I could have sworn those just added Thaumcraft bees and thus required Thaumcraft, but I could be dead wrong on that count.

My apologies for the huge wall of text. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the "how you plan for it to play out" before I can really make heads or tails about the mods.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
As an afterthought, a mod that I find myself adding pretty often is either Steve's Workshop or an unofficial fork of it called Ewy's Workshop. The concept is pretty simple and quite functional, allowing you to fit a combination of up to 4 vanilla crafting tables or furnaces into one block with a shared fuel slot. The Ewy's version adds better NEI compatibility, and some funky attempt to also permit RF power, but I tend to just ignore that last bit.

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
The list looks pretty decent, but until I've had a chance to hear your thought process on the role-playing elements and how they fit in, it's too soon to say what will work well together or not.

For example, on the Tech side, you have AE2, IndustrialCraft, Immersive Engineering, Forestry, and Railcraft. Botania is also very tech-like, despite the magic feel of the mod. More aptly, I'd say it's very receptive to automation.

Notably missing are mods like Factorization, RotaryCraft (despite Chromaticraft being present) Tinker's Construct, or Thermal Expansion. I'm not averse to your choices, but it'd be interesting to hear the thoughts behind why you chose what you did.

From a roleplay aspect, are you ignoring villagers, or are you somehow integrating them into the experience? Again, things like Minecraft Comes Alive, Helpful Villagers, Millenaire, Ancient Warfare 2, or Custom NPCs all bring different things to the table. Some come with their share of quirks and headaches as well, so it is perfectly reasonable to completely leave them out too.

Again, touching on roleplay aspects, mods like CraftHeraldry, Ye Gamol Chattels, KitchenCraft, Crayfish's Furniture Mod, or DecoCraft all open up some possibilities. Some are *ahem* a little sillier than others, but maybe something fits the theme of what you're shooting for.

If you're shooting for ramping up the difficulty, as it seems you may be leaning toward with mods like Hunger Overhaul and Enviromine, you may also want to take a peek at mods like Better Beginnings, Hardcore Darkness and/or Zombie Awareness. Since you've already included Chromaticraft, I might note that Reika also has a mod called LegacyCraft which offers a few tweaks to standard gameplay.

As for Magic Mods, I see Botania (sorta magic) and Ars Magica 2, with Blood Magic, Witchery, Aura Cascade and Thaumcraft not making any appearances. I'm not sure whether Chromaticraft counts as Tech or Magic or something in-between. The thoughts behind these choices can also be enlightening.

Given that Tinker's Construct was missing, is there a purpose for Natura? The berry bushes? The big honkin' redwood trees? Or is it something else that Forestry and EBXL don't already cover?

Magic Bees has me scratching my head. I could have sworn those just added Thaumcraft bees and thus required Thaumcraft, but I could be dead wrong on that count.

My apologies for the huge wall of text. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the "how you plan for it to play out" before I can really make heads or tails about the mods.

Well, I'm happy to share what I have written so far for the dirt age, maybe it will give you an idea of the feeling I'm going for. Keep in mind that it's still a rough draft though, so I can't promise that it's very elegant writing yet. I'm thinking Simple Achievements is a good choice for the "point values" checklists.

Starting inventory contains: 1 wool, 1 bowl, damaged stone saw, 1 ink, 2 rotten flesh, written books ‘Diary of a Refugee’ and ‘Refugee Rules’, backpacks named for each of the following stages containing the necessary books (pending other options for providing later stage books, HQM maybe?)

Diary of a Refugee:

How long has it been? I wish I’d kept track. At least a month, perhaps more. Certainly long enough to run out of the few supplies I was able to grab as I ran. I’m so exhausted, finding a safe place to sleep has been next to impossible. Even the small settlement I stumbled upon a few weeks ago was attacked all through the night. I long for my home, but I know better than to go back. I have no one left to go back to anyway. My parents were slaughtered like livestock on the first day of the invasion, and those who didn’t fight or run before the slavers came are as good as dead. I miss Sam. He would know what to do. At this point I’m just wandering aimlessly, hoping to find enough food each day to last until the next. I need to stop this and settle down, I will die if I keep going like this. Last night was the worst one yet, I barely escaped the creeper’s ambush. My bedroll fell into tatters, having already been damaged from getting attacked while trying to sleep. All that’s left of it is a scrap of cloth.

Yesterday I was able to capture a chicken, so I’m not terribly hungry today. I’ve decided to forgo hunting, a day without eating won’t kill me. I went to the trouble of diving in the nearby lake this morning to find some ink so I could start this journal. I must get organized if I want to move forward and start planning a life rather than just surviving day to day. I really have no idea what I’m doing, I was only studying to be a librarian… I’ll just have to figure it out as I go along I suppose, and write down the things I’ve learned for future reference and maybe to help future generations survive.

I dare not go far underground, as the monsters survive there even during the day. They amass and wait for the eye of Terrae to set. Any deeper than 10 blocks below the surface is much too far. If I go underground without head protection I risk certain death. I must wear a helmet if I do go under the surface.

At the moment I am out of supplies and nearly starving. I must keep myself alive no matter what. I will eat rotten food if that is all that is available. The first priority is survival, so I will get past my disgust and choke it down. At least I still have this bowl in my pack, it makes the mushrooms and berries I sometimes find much more palatable. In the long term I must start a basic farm plot, luckily I remember helping in the fields as a child so that shouldn’t be difficult. I’ll want to plant at least 3 wheat right away to make sure there is never a shortage of bread.

I am desperate for shelter, so my first step to improving my situation is to make a hovel with dirt to protect me from the wilderness and the monsters at night. I don’t know how to make a ceiling higher than the 2 blocks I need to keep from hitting my head. Last time I tried to make a shelter, it caved in when I made it too large. I must reduce the chances of another cave in, last time I barely dug my way out in time. Anything larger than 2x3 must have supports installed to keep the roof up. A support should be made from 2 logs, but a 2x2 pillar of dirt works too if trees are scarce. No blocks may be piled on top of the roof, this would make the possibility of the roof falling in more dangerous.

My shelter needs a few basics so I can work to improve my living conditions. A bed, a crafting table, and a chest are needed. A wooden door will provide some security. I should stockpile some survival materials in my chest. This list should do to start:

16 logs
64 planks
6 saplings
6 seeds

Luckily my father taught me to craft a few things during my visits to his workshop. Here’s what I know how to make and the materials needed for each:

Torch-1 sticky resin, 1 stick
Tree Tap-5 planks
Bed-3 wool, 3 planks
Basic door-6 planks
Chest-8 planks
Slab-3 planks
Item frame-8 sticks, 1 leather
Painting-8 sticks, 1 wool
Helmet-5 leather
Beekeeper’s Scoop-6 sticks, 1 wool
Wooden Hoe-2 planks, 2 sticks
Paper-3 sugarcane
String-3 cotton
Book-1 leather, 3 paper
Book and Quill-1 book, 1 feather, 1 ink
Bowl-3 slabs

Refugee Rules:

All listed dimensions refer to internal, usable space. External dimensions are left to your discretion.

“Dirt” in this challenge refers to all dirt-type blocks: Sand, Clay, Dirt, Gravel, Mud, etc. For building purposes, you only know how to use Dirt and raw cut Logs.

If you are lucky enough to kill an attacker, you may use any trophies it drops including all armor types.

If you find a chest, loot it! You may use anything that you can understand, but things like guns and minecarts are much too complex for you to understand yet. You may be educated enough to be literate, but your home was a simple, isolated farming village and technology was not so advanced there.

You have seen others using tools before, but you don’t know how to use them (with the exception of the hoe, something all children were expected to use at your village). All tools are banned at this time. You don’t want to hurt yourself, after all.

In this stage, you may only use crafting recipes that are within your knowledge, luckily you took the time to list all of them in your diary. Knowledge of things you can make out of natural materials (wood, cotton, food) in a 2x2 crafting grid is assumed and only listed if the usable materials are restricted. Similarly, you must follow the current survival rules you wrote down in your diary. These paragraphs represent your full understanding of how to survive in this world, and you prefer not to die.

You may choose to dig a basement for your hovel. If you do, it may only go down 4 blocks to prevent destabilizing the dirt above. This must have at least one support regardless of size, the supports must be logs, and the ceiling must be reinforced with a layer of logs below the dirt floor of your living space.

Before opening your “Settler” backpack, you must build a hovel and fill it with the items listed in your diary and have at least 3 farm plots growing crops. Additionally, complete at least 20 points worth of the following challenges, but as many as you want. While you’re welcome to punch 20 endermen to death, points do not stack so that will not fulfill the point requirement.

Noble:

1-Hovel dimensions at least 6x6
1-Door opens/closes using buttons or pressure plates
2-Walls are decorated with at least 3 paintings or filled item frames
1-A flower garden decorates the outside of the hovel
1-Defined paths lead to separate work areas outside
1-A separate bedroom inside the hovel with 2 beds
1-Decorated with microblocks

Farmer:

1-Sugar cane plantation with at least 10 plots
1-Cactus plantation with at least 5 plots
1-Farm with at least 5 plots each of 3 different edible crop types
2-Build a granary, this follows the same building rules as the dirt hovel and must use double chests sorted by food type for storage, may only contain food
1-Berry farm with at least 5 bushes of any type planted
1-Tree farm with at least 3 species of tree
1-Have at least one of each vanilla crop growing-wheat, carrot, potato, melon, pumpkin, sugarcane, cactus

Guardian:

1-Kill at least 2 spiders
1-Kill at least 2 skeletons
1-Kill at least 3 zombies
1-Kill at least 1 creeper
1-Kill at least 1 enderman
2-Have a mob head trophy to hang on your wall
1-Have a completed 2 block high Dirt wall to protect your living area

Entrepreneur:

1-Have an egg farm with at least 2 chickens
1-Have a wool farm with one or more sheep
1-Have a dairy farm with one or more cows
1-Have a pigsty with at least 2 pigs
2-Tame a wolf or ocelot
1-Collect a pristine princess and a bee drone
1-In the animal enclosures allocate at least 2 blocks of space per chicken and 4 blocks of space per large animal

Hoarder:

2-Have 64 of any logs
2-Have 128 total food items, may be edible or ingredients such as wheat
2-Have 64 of any seeds
2-Have 8 different types of saplings

Next stage will open up all crafting recipes made with natural materials (since now you have more people with you whose knowledge you can draw on) and focus on community building rather than survival basics.

As far as villagers, I actually do plan on implementing CustomNPCs, I just haven't taken the time to figure out how to configure it yet. The others you list I haven't even heard of (excepting Millenaire, which I only know of from Regrowth) so I'll be looking into them to see what they might be able to add. I am considering Accidentally Circumstantial Events, provided I can figure out how it works.

Natura is a good question. I don't actually have a justification for adding it, now that you ask. I guess I'm just so used to having it that I didn't consider the addition and just did it. I'll be reviewing what it actually adds to see if it's really needed. Off the top of my head, the only thing that sticks out is the aesthetics of the doors it adds... but EBXL does that too. It does make the nether rather interesting though.

For tech, I wanted to keep that clunky feeling that IC2 brings until AE2 unlocks. TCon makes ore doubling so easy there's little early reason to delve into other tech mods for those who aren't naturally inclined to do so (me, for example) and the really interesting tools that other mods add tend to get ignored because they're outclassed by the stuff you can make almost immediately with it. As for TE, EnderIO, SFM, etc... it's the same basic idea. They make automation so simple that it's almost magical. Since I want a more realistic world, I want the tech options to be a little more complex until you're well into the advanced stages of the game. I agree on Botania, it's perfectly capable of standing alone in tech and automating everything you could think of (it's totally my favorite). That said, I'm treating it as a magic mod in this pack because of the theme and magic will be unlocked later in the challenge. And this is the reason for Magic Bees, btw, the newest version of Botania does have a lot of bee integration added including its own Magic Bees types. RotaryCraft I'm not familiar with. Do you think it would fit in well? I already had to make a ridiculous amount of config changes just to make Reika's mods play well with AE2 and AM2 and EXBL, so I'm not against adding it.

You've mentioned a lot of mods I'm unfamiliar with, so I'll be looking into those for sure. They might end up replacing one or two of the flavor mods I have in. It's not that I'm looking for a super difficult experience, just more realism. Gravity, thirst, etc. all just make sense to me in a challenge like this. I considered Spice of Life but decided Hunger Overhaul was closer to what I'm looking for. I already ruled out Special Mobs, Zombie Awareness, and Hardcore Darkness because with Mo'Creatures already there the player might be a little overwhelmed by all of the hostility, but I'll look into Better Beginnings.

My thought process with magic: Magic should be an exception to the norm, it should be special and difficult, it should be something you have to search for. There shouldn't be fifty different types of magic in the same world. I want to give options for people who are excited about it, but I also don't want it to be overwhelmingly common. This world is rather mundane, if magic comes easily to everyone here then why would they waste time with manual labor? I actually started with ChromatiCraft because it looks like a very cool exploration based magic mod that I have absolutely no experience with and I love learning how to work with new stuff. I'm playing with it in my test world, though, and may end up removing it just because the world gen is very in your face with the pylons everywhere and that colored gui overlay when you get close. That's sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for on the magical side of things. I do, however, want to encourage exploration. So I'm undecided, I'll probably decide in favor of it if I can figure out how to disable the overlay. I will say that Thaumcraft is a hard pass in this one. Taint biomes force the player to delve fairly deep into the mod regardless of their game stage and end game is pretty overpowered for a world like the one I'm trying to build. All of the others I'm open to, though, if they would replace something I already have. Botania is being treated as magical, but I want to keep it regardless of the other magic mods because the world gen is fairly unobtrusive and it provides an autocrafting and storage alternative to AE2 for those who dislike working with that mod.

And don't apologize for walls of text ;) I can be pretty verbose myself.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Well, I'm happy to share what I have written so far for the dirt age, maybe it will give you an idea of the feeling I'm going for. Keep in mind that it's still a rough draft though, so I can't promise that it's very elegant writing yet. I'm thinking Simple Achievements is a good choice for the "point values" checklists.

HQM can be good, but it has nearly been done to death in various modpacks. Until Simple Achievements really starts to bog you down, I think it (Simple Achievements) should be more than sufficient. Enchiridion 2 might be a good option for book writing if you plan on anything non-trivial.

As far as villagers, I actually do plan on implementing CustomNPCs, I just haven't taken the time to figure out how to configure it yet. The others you list I haven't even heard of (excepting Millenaire, which I only know of from Regrowth) so I'll be looking into them to see what they might be able to add. I am considering Accidentally Circumstantial Events, provided I can figure out how it works.

Really, I think Custom NPCs is the least intrusive of all the NPC mods. Granted, they won't mine or farm for you, but they can provide an atmospheric feel to your world, and it isn't terribly hard to set up some to act as guards to help ward off invading critters. In fact, that gives players a reason to craft additional sets of armor and weaponry... ;)

In my games, I usually set a requirement for a refugee (a hovel of some sort for them, with varying levels of decor depending on the role of that refugee, including a chest with a stock of food and basic supplies like tools or armor), then I allow a single Custom NPC to be spawned in as an occupant refugee of that building. I equip the NPC with the gear I crafted in their supply chest, and then either set them up to wander randomly near their home, flee from monsters, and take shelter at night if they are just a generic villager, or set them up with a guard path to follow, with basic combat abilities equal to the gear I've equipped them with, set them to attack hostile mobs, and not take shelter at night. It doesn't take a lot of work to set up, and it looks decent.

Natura is a good question. I don't actually have a justification for adding it, now that you ask. I guess I'm just so used to having it that I didn't consider the addition and just did it. I'll be reviewing what it actually adds to see if it's really needed. Off the top of my head, the only thing that sticks out is the aesthetics of the doors it adds... but EBXL does that too. It does make the nether rather interesting though.

Doesn't Natura also add the wheat/barley flour item that all but trivializes the bread recipe? I tend to add Pam's Harvestcraft (which disables that recipe in favor of having to make dough as an alternative bread recipe). Between that and hunger overhaul, players have plenty of incentive to come up with more nourishing options than stacks of bread and/or berries. Pam's also works pretty well with Agricraft, so that's a plus.

For tech, I wanted to keep that clunky feeling that IC2 brings until AE2 unlocks. TCon makes ore doubling so easy there's little early reason to delve into other tech mods for those who aren't naturally inclined to do so (me, for example) and the really interesting tools that other mods add tend to get ignored because they're outclassed by the stuff you can make almost immediately with it. As for TE, EnderIO, SFM, etc... it's the same basic idea. They make automation so simple that it's almost magical. Since I want a more realistic world, I want the tech options to be a little more complex until you're well into the advanced stages of the game. I agree on Botania, it's perfectly capable of standing alone in tech and automating everything you could think of (it's totally my favorite). That said, I'm treating it as a magic mod in this pack because of the theme and magic will be unlocked later in the challenge. And this is the reason for Magic Bees, btw, the newest version of Botania does have a lot of bee integration added including its own Magic Bees types. RotaryCraft I'm not familiar with. Do you think it would fit in well? I already had to make a ridiculous amount of config changes just to make Reika's mods play well with AE2 and AM2 and EXBL, so I'm not against adding it.

Tinker's Construct can certainly obsolete pretty much every other tool and weapon in the game, so you won't hear any arguments from me about it not being in the pack.

RotaryCraft is one of those types of mods you either love or hate. I really like a lot of what it brings to the game, but then I'm not such a fan of some of the other mods he makes, like Chromaticraft. I really don't care for the pylon mechanic, nor am I overly fond of rainbow colored forests. I understand why someone might like those mods, but I'm not one of them. You can get RotaryCraft working without too much hassle, but in the context of a Refugee challenge, I don't see a large part of that mod unlocking until mid to late game.

You've mentioned a lot of mods I'm unfamiliar with, so I'll be looking into those for sure. They might end up replacing one or two of the flavor mods I have in. It's not that I'm looking for a super difficult experience, just more realism. Gravity, thirst, etc. all just make sense to me in a challenge like this. I considered Spice of Life but decided Hunger Overhaul was closer to what I'm looking for. I already ruled out Special Mobs, Zombie Awareness, and Hardcore Darkness because with Mo'Creatures already there the player might be a little overwhelmed by all of the hostility, but I'll look into Better Beginnings.

Father Toast is a bit too evil with some of his mods, that's for sure. Zombie Awareness isn't horrible if tuned down a notch. It at least takes a stab at keeping monsters mildly threatening. I agree that combined with Mo'Creatures it could easily overwhelm some players.

My thought process with magic: Magic should be an exception to the norm, it should be special and difficult, it should be something you have to search for. There shouldn't be fifty different types of magic in the same world. I want to give options for people who are excited about it, but I also don't want it to be overwhelmingly common. This world is rather mundane, if magic comes easily to everyone here then why would they waste time with manual labor? I actually started with ChromatiCraft because it looks like a very cool exploration based magic mod that I have absolutely no experience with and I love learning how to work with new stuff. I'm playing with it in my test world, though, and may end up removing it just because the world gen is very in your face with the pylons everywhere and that colored gui overlay when you get close. That's sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for on the magical side of things. I do, however, want to encourage exploration. So I'm undecided, I'll probably decide in favor of it if I can figure out how to disable the overlay. I will say that Thaumcraft is a hard pass in this one. Taint biomes force the player to delve fairly deep into the mod regardless of their game stage and end game is pretty overpowered for a world like the one I'm trying to build. All of the others I'm open to, though, if they would replace something I already have. Botania is being treated as magical, but I want to keep it regardless of the other magic mods because the world gen is fairly unobtrusive and it provides an autocrafting and storage alternative to AE2 for those who dislike working with that mod.

I've almost settled into an apathetic state as far as magic mods go. If you have it, great. If not, no biggie. Just please don't REQUIRE delving into magic to progress. It should be an optional path for an explorer to delve into. Sometimes I really dig Botania, sometimes I just want to take a flamethrower to those large fields of colored flowers.

You've managed to steer clear of Thermal Expansion, Ender IO, Buildcraft, Extra Utilities and Minefactory Reloaded, so you've got most of the power generation clamped down pretty good to not include a lot of magic boxes. RotaryCraft (if you don't end up hating it) might be a pretty good fit in the long term.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Oh boy text walls! There are a couple other mods you could (theoretically) look into for more realistic play. The first one I'll suggest is called Minecraft Improvements. It mostly makes the wood/stone ages take a bit longer to get through. The second one I'll suggest is honestly more standalone unless you know how to work MineTweaker - Terrafirmacraft. That mod completely overhauls Minecraft (and boasts that it's "the way survival mode should have been"). Basically it's Bear Grylls meets Minecraft and has a baby. You start God knows where on June 1st, 1000. If you spawn in the northern hemisphere, you won't have enough growing season left to start a farm and will have to wait till next year and just live off the land. If you spawn in the Southern Hemisphere... good luck. Middle of winter, so no plants growing. Have fun.

But yeah. I don't think that's really what you're looking for. I just like to suggest it when I can.

Welcome aboard the challenge authoring ship! :)

[EDIT] Also - you may want to try VoxelMap (requires LiteLoader) instead of JourneyMap. My computer, though not a potato, can't operate with JourneyMap installed. Since Rei's is no longer being updated, I chose to go Voxel and haven't looked back.