[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually considering whipping up a fresh 1.10 version, given that Druidry looks to be a better replacement for Botanica given my variant version of the challenge. (That and Villager In A Box.)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Apparently I've been interacting on this topic for 1002 days. I actually can't remember how I heard about R2R anymore

I think I'm at 1072 days counting today. Man it makes my bones creak. No wait, that's just because I'm old anyway... :)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I'm actually considering whipping up a fresh 1.10 version, given that Druidry looks to be a better replacement for Botanica given my variant version of the challenge. (That and Villager In A Box.)

I saw Druidry(?) the other day on a mod list but didn't think much about it at the time. Does it look promising?

I'm giving my computer a top-to-bottom refresh before I do a restart. Moving off my ancient (to me, anyway) 2012 machine. It'll take me about a month to get all the parts in I think. :-/

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I saw Druidry(?) the other day on a mod list but didn't think much about it at the time. Does it look promising?

Actually, the mod I was thinking of is called Roots. Still don't know anything about it though. Will check it out later today.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhat. I'm thinking that while it's not polished enough, it looks worth investigating and adding onto with extra mods that fit the theme.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys!

So as you know I've been playing TerraFirmaCraft for the past few days and I'm really enjoying it! However, I do think it's the wrong feel for the neanderthals, so I'll remove that from my recommendations.

Honestly I think I'll just have it as a fun "if you want to" challenge to survive and build with TFC. I won't be imposing restrictions on that one as TFC does a lot of the restricting itself (and it's impossible to survive if you're following someone else's restrictions and end up not ready for winter). So I guess the "if you want to" challenge will simply to be "build following the build guidelines. Restrictions no longer apply because TFC is difficult enough. You'll have to imagine people because TFC removes villagers :("

So anyways, here's what I've gotten done. I'm in September now (there are 8 days/month by default, but you can change this as you wish). I think the time goes a bit too quickly, but I won't change it until we're in the new year (1001). Winter fast approaches...

Of course, we're starting this off with sunrise pics:

W1Fesg4.png

i0IvQZK.png

Nice, huh?

kAybU88.png

This is the log hut thing I spent my first days in.

lRFwNmg.png

I couldn't spend all my time there, so I started making motions to move. I had to spend the night on the beach because a bear ran me out of my planned spot.

0dccDMa.png

uNrZ61n.png

While there I fired up some pit kilns full of various pots and things that I'd use to store items and food until I could get a chest.

0rNhM1E.png

Morning~~!

HlhJKCp.png

And then I quickly threw together a slightly larger hut with wood and thatch. Thatch blocks light like a solid block, but can be walked through. It also blocks enemies' views of you, so unless they're already aggro'd, zombies aren't gonna come around and try to munch your face off (even though now they're a proper 2-hit kill with a copper sword).

hQgEm2M.png

Morning!

gP2uWTS.png

Waiting on three things to be done: night, rain, and my pottery.

piKro41.png

2/3 things done. The rain subsided later.

NxyxL7c.png

Here's a better view of my little hut. The jar out front is collecting rainwater.

xTe04js.png

See?

NkPqx41.png

Another nice morning~

[continued in next post]

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
[continuing from last]

3CFWLK0.png

Once I was comfortable in my surroundings I started working on a food storage room up in a nearby hill. The higher you go, the cooler it is, so the better food keeps. I used thatch's walk-through light-blocking properties to my advantage to make the room darker (which decreases temps further). inside the room it's ~20 degrees C while outside is a good 10 degrees hotter.

nYmvUvd.png

The thatch doorway illuminated by a jack-o-lantern (the only permanent light source in-game).

IzbPuB9.png

Here you can see my path going up the hill to the storage room and the surrounding area being lit by jacks.

v0heJnf.png

5KMnXLN.png

S9GbSkp.png

xsppcVe.png

PRxMs18.png

I couldn't just stay in a hut all night, so I gathered some more wood, fired up some glass, and built a snug little place. I can expand it later up and out the back if I need to.

Once I had my house built, I decided that I needed to go on another journey to find rock salt. There's marble to my north, I'm on dacite, and there's some schist to my south. After some time I would find it further to the south, but no sheep. Sheep are necessary to make yarn and later a bed. The yarn can be used to dry and smoke meats (which preserves them longer). I went out on a new expedition to find these elusive creatures.

XwMWfb8.png

On my way I made contact with a bear, after which I had to sit in a hot spring for a little while so my health could regen.

R2Na7QA.png

I came back home after finding rock salt and made a "bed" that allows you to set your spawn with the bear's hide and some thatch.

xxDeJ4M.png

So then I found my three stooges again and started leading them home. Please take note that home was several miles away. That was fun.

6TPZ6o0.png

Once we got home I started making the alcohol necessary for vinegar. The two open barrels are salt water waiting for the vinegar to be done so I can turn them into brine (a step in meat smoking).

yZ4cV5t.png

Here are the stooges in their pen. Before I can shear them I have to gain familiarity with them (they have to get to know me first). So now I'm stuck feeding them until they feel they can trust me so I can have a bed one day. Most likely not before winter hits, though. Given that I'm in an area with a rainfall value of 1000, winter is going to be a treat.

Thanks, guys! Hopefully next update won't be so large! ^^;

nearlyNonexistent

Jul 29, 2019
Is ther any progress being made on the wiki at all? I'm considering working on rewriting and reformatting the Classic challenge but.... hoo boy.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I think maul is doing what he can. It's a lot of work. I think he's also partially rewriting the challenge

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

nearlyNonexistent

Jul 29, 2019
Ah alright, I'll be taking a look at it if the newer version's still being updated. I've mostly been working on doing my own wiki overhaul on Cubeaism.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Is ther any progress being made on the wiki at all? I'm considering working on rewriting and reformatting the Classic challenge but.... hoo boy.

Progress is being made on the new wiki, and,yes, the Classic WIki sections need a complete reformatting. In the meantime, the link below is an archive of the old wiki.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014022.../Refugee+to+Regent+Kingdom+Building+Challenge

It's kind of a major thunderstorm here atm as I work on the wiki, so I'm going to try to be sure to save my progress early and often in case the internet goes down.

Right now the way I'm doing things is in three parts, similar to the old Fast Track, Normal, and Hardcore.

The Capital Building Challenge is a relatively light and easy challenge, focusing on one, main Capital with a couple Outliers here and there, ending at the Emerald Capital stage. This is what I'm focusing on filling out now, just so I can have one *complete* challenge done instead of getting stuck on one stage or another.

The Kingdom Building Challenge is a substantially more beefy challenge, taking the Capital Challenge and stacking all kinds of new things on top of it to build and expore. The Kingdom Challenge comes to a head in the Diamond Kingdom stage. For an example of the difference between the Capital and Kingdom Challenges, check out the Clay Community sub-sectionin the Dirt Hovel stage.

The Empire Building Challenge is basically a Challenge to attempt after ( or, I suppose, during) the Kingdom Building Challenge. It will be written up in the Nether Star Imperium stage after I get a LOT more done in the wiki. Basically it will be a repeatable Stage in which you build up another Kingdom from scratch (or not so much scratch).

Along with a lot of the Expansions I want to work on, which are basically sub-Challenges that aren't enough for their own stage or anything, that can be added on here and there.

Right now on the new WIki it IS mainly Residential, again so I have something for every stage to work on. I'm working on the Emerald Capital stage right now, and I will probably let the challenge hang there for a little while while I flesh out the non-Residential stuff. Next up will be working up Capital/Kingdom/Agricultural Expansion Agro stuff. And quite possibly working on a Residential Expansion in the various stages themselves.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
*twitch* Botanica *twitch* It's Botania, there is no "C" in the mod name.
Sorry, bit of a pet peeve.

-----

Yeah, I'm not leaving 1.7 until Reika's stuff does. Too functional for me to pass up.

nearlyNonexistent

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for all the information! I'm personally going to be working on doing a similar wiki overhaul for Cubeaism, the old set of minecraft challenges, so if you need any wiki formatting tips I've gotten some experience by now.

I can't leave 1.7.10 because there's just too much in general left on it that isn't on 1.10. When the modding community decides on 1.10 vs 1.9 I'll probably end up attempting to write my idea for a 'stock market' based mod, but I'm waiting until the fluctuation and lack of general content catches up to make it worth playing around with

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Cubeasim is pretty interesting. I actually melded the basic tenets of it into the Magic system I came up with. Don't really have any plans beyond the primary three, though.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Spent some more time on my world, and I built a Granary.

d7X44S1.png

It's got three levels, two above ground, and a basement with an exit down there.

g5t4BfJ.png

Nowhere near finished, but here's the downstairs exit.

7JsdjqF.png

Also I've done some scouting in the last couple weeks for good places to expand Altaria into.

Q10ztiY.png

Future home of the Altarian Mine. It's not actually in the big hill back there, there's a peninsula between the hill and that smaller hill there.

Though when I first went looking for it I went looking in the big hil, and was confused.

d4N02AY.png

There are some KICKASS overhangs nearby.

jPdbFlZ.png

plus a lavafall

I just love this area. It's the area behind the Mine, and is around that giant hill.

6A9pznA.png