[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

R

Rogash

When I dig my shafts, I don't waste my precious resources digging through stone. That what a flint pick is for. Yes, it is a bit slower. But more speed costs more money, how fast do you wanna go?

That is what Journeymap is for. Mark them now. Dig them when you need them.
Also get into thaumcraft early...i never mined more tin than for my first 5 steam machines...thaumcraft let's you transmute most low tier materials

Reactions: lafflam

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
ok question i have my ebf and its hooked up, has 4 amps worth of 32eu/t with 3 energy hatchs. what am i doing wrong? does it need more amps?

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
When I dig my shafts, I don't waste my precious metal resources digging through stone. That what a flint pick is for. Yes, it is a bit slower. But more speed costs more money, how fast do you wanna go?

Metal resources? At the beginning stage of the game I don't have a lot of metal resources, especially not those gained from processing ore. If I do get resources, of any description, that can be used to make a pick, it's usually from worldgen loot chests. That basically means I would have to waste time and resources either gathering a few picks with good mining durability or to use up resources which have less durability which include but are not limited to various gem-based picks.

I've been trying to wean myself off of having to go and find worldgen loot as that also takes up time. So the question boils down to how much time I want to waste exploring versus the same amount of time wasted digging holes in the ground. It just doesn't feel balanced enough that I can favor a method and be able to mine in an efficient manner using early resources.

Most modpacks don't care if you favor one method or another but Infitech seems to go out of it's way to unfairly tip the balance so that you expend 5x as much time and resources to get anywhere in the modpack.

This is also a reason I want to skip as much of the Steam Era as possible in order to get to the electrical era in GregTech, although mostly I just want to get on with building stuff in this modpack, but here I am tied to making the Steam Era a thing.

To me this is a very grindy modpack right now, you have to expend a lot of effort finding resources instead of simply getting a quarry up and running and doing things way more efficiently.

Whilst I appreciate that Jason has to have things balanced for multiplayer I feel it's killing my singleplayer experience, especially when resource collection options are taken into consideration.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

lafflam

Jul 29, 2019
Metal resources? At the beginning stage of the game I don't have a lot of metal resources, especially not those gained from processing ore. If I do get resources, of any description, that can be used to make a pick, it's usually from worldgen loot chests. That basically means I would have to waste time and resources either gathering a few picks with good mining durability or to use up resources which have less durability which include but are not limited to various gem-based picks.

I've been trying to wean myself off of having to go and find worldgen loot as that also takes up time. So the question boils down to how much time I want to waste exploring versus the same amount of time wasted digging holes in the ground. It just doesn't feel balanced enough that I can favor a method and be able to mine in an efficient manner using early resources.

Most modpacks don't care if you favor one method or another but Infitech seems to go out of it's way to unfairly tip the balance so that you expend 5x as much time and resources to get anywhere in the modpack.

This is also a reason I want to skip as much of the Steam Era as possible in order to get to the electrical era in GregTech, although mostly I just want to get on with building stuff in this modpack, but here I am tied to making the Steam Era a thing.

To me this is a very grindy modpack right now, you have to expend a lot of effort finding resources instead of simply getting a quarry up and running and doing things way more efficiently.

Whilst I appreciate that Jason has to have things balanced for multiplayer I feel it's killing my singleplayer experience, especially when resource collection options are taken into consideration.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
But like I have said before, Jason has not nerfed oregen. In fact, I am pretty sure he extended tin generation to go a bit deeper than a stock GregTech experience. Otherwise the oregen is completely Greg's thing. I suppose Jason could increase certain oregen to whatever level will satisfy you, but I would bet the exact coordinates of my next tin vein that most of the players who play this modpack would be sorely disappointed in how easy the game would be. You could resort to using Thaumcraft to make all the tin you need. Personally, I have not used Thaumcraft to make tin, but I do know that I could if I really needed to. Otherwise, again since you are playing on Single Player, you can edit the oregen in the configs. I believe the following is what you are looking for in config/GregTech/WorldGeneration.cfg. I think all you have to do is increase "RandomWeight_50=50" to "RandomWeight_50=150" or so. That should make it a little more common than Iron veins in new chunks, or in a new world.

EDIT: I bet you could also change "Nether_false=false" to "Nether_false=true" in order to generate tin in the Nether.

Code:
cassiterite {
  B:Asteroid_true=true
  I:Density_5=5
  B:EndAsteroid_true=true
  B:Mars_true=true
  I:MaxHeight_120=120
  I:MinHeight_40=40
  B:Moon_true=true
  B:Nether_false=false
  I:OrePrimaryLayer_57=57
  I:OreSecondaryLayer_57=57
  I:OreSporadiclyInbetween_824=824
  I:OreSporaticlyAround_57=57
  B:Overworld_true=true
  I:RandomWeight_50=50
  I:Size_24=24
  B:TheEnd_true=true
  }

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
But like I have said before, Jason has not nerfed oregen. In fact, I am pretty sure he extended tin generation to go a bit deeper than a stock GregTech experience. Otherwise the oregen is completely Greg's thing. I suppose Jason could increase certain oregen to whatever level will satisfy you, but I would bet the exact coordinates of my next tin vein that most of the players who play this modpack would be sorely disappointed in how easy the game would be. You could resort to using Thaumcraft to make all the tin you need. Personally, I have not used Thaumcraft to make tin, but I do know that I could if I really needed to. Otherwise, again since you are playing on Single Player, you can edit the oregen in the configs. I believe the following is what you are looking for in config/GregTech/WorldGeneration.cfg. I think all you have to do is increase "RandomWeight_50=50" to "RandomWeight_50=150" or so. That should make it a little more common than Iron veins in new chunks, or in a new world.

EDIT: I bet you could also change "Nether_false=false" to "Nether_false=true" in order to generate tin in the Nether.

Code:
cassiterite {
  B:Asteroid_true=true
  I:Density_5=5
  B:EndAsteroid_true=true
  B:Mars_true=true
  I:MaxHeight_120=120
  I:MinHeight_40=40
  B:Moon_true=true
  B:Nether_false=false
  I:OrePrimaryLayer_57=57
  I:OreSecondaryLayer_57=57
  I:OreSporadiclyInbetween_824=824
  I:OreSporaticlyAround_57=57
  B:Overworld_true=true
  I:RandomWeight_50=50
  I:Size_24=24
  B:TheEnd_true=true
  }

I looked in that, and I just now noticed something in the entry for tetrahedrite: I:RandomWeight_70=90

Is that supposed to be like that? All the other entries have the randomweight_x (where x is a number) equal to the number on the other side of the equals sign.

This entry, though, is different. Also, why do all the ores have different values after the Randomweight_ anyway?

Back to the problem at hand: I really think tin should be easier to find, it's rather boring having to dig holes for hours or even days. I like to try and minimize mining, because it's boring, and if overdone, grindy.

You seem to be trying to say that Tin should be findable, I just am not seeing this happening any time soon. Is there some bug with Tin generation that I should know about?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Rishenda

Jul 29, 2019
Argh! I can see this method of mining is going to be rather slow and painful to use. Even digging shafts spacing them out at 3 chunks apart (that is to say, dig a hole, skip 2 chunks, then dig another hole), which seems to work to find different veins, it is going to eat through resources for picks and shovels at a rate I don't like. I've found Neodymium ore before I've found a tin vein! *sighs*

I really wish Jason would reconsider his nerfing of the miner from IC2, it would have been a useful method of finding ore veins. For singleplayer this is going to take ages and how do I even know I'm mining my holes anywhere near a tin vein anyway? This modpack would be easier to play if copper and tin actually spawned within the same vein, and by that I mean the type of copper/tin you can double in an AE2 grindstone or pulverize, not the small ores. Not likely, I know, but it just isn't worth digging shafts all over the place, my screen is filling up with Journeymap waypoints and the clutter is not easy to look at!

With this method I'm finding veins I can't even process until MV/HV era ages before I'll ever need any of it!

Jason is there anything you can change regarding the tin/cassiterite vein spawning so that it would at least be 1/3rd as common as copper and more likely to generate within a certain radius of the copper/tetrahedrite/stibnite veins? This mining method just isn't working as I would be halfway to LV era except for the fact that I'm stuck with finding ores I need for the Bronze Age!

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

As far as the waypoints cluttering up your screen, you can always hide them until you need them.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I looked in that, and I just now noticed something in the entry for tetrahedrite: I:RandomWeight_70=90

Is that supposed to be like that? All the other entries have the randomweight_x (where x is a number) equal to the number on the other side of the equals sign.

This entry, though, is different. Also, why do all the ores have different values after the Randomweight_ anyway?

Back to the problem at hand: I really think tin should be easier to find, it's rather boring having to dig holes for hours or even days. I like to try and minimize mining, because it's boring, and if overdone, grindy.

You seem to be trying to say that Tin should be findable, I just am not seeing this happening any time soon. Is there some bug with Tin generation that I should know about?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
The X in Whatever_X=Y is the default value for Y, if they're the same its default. So that suggests tetrahedrite was made more likely for some reason.

Tin is just hard to find, use HQM and transmutation to get more if you can't find veins. I made it all the way through Bronze Age a few times using transmutation instead of finding tin veins in 3.1, in 3.2 the quest book really helps. Tin veins are not needed for progression, helpful but optional.

If you don't like grindy mining? Sorry but the pack probably isn't for you, the search for different and rare ore veins is one of the grindiest parts of GT, definitely the first really grindy challenge you should hit. Only suggestion is to duplicate your world and use /cofh clearblocks to strip away all the stone and dirt and whatnot so you can check veins without sinking shafts everywhere.

lafflam

Jul 29, 2019

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
The format for these entries is "VariableName_XX=YY", where XX is actually part of the variable name and indicates the default value set by Greg, and YY is the current value of the variable. So, in your tetrahedrite example, RandomWeight_70 is the variable name and the 90 is the current value. This tells me that Jason (or someone) increased the frequency of tetrahedrite generation above the standard value assigned by Greg.

And no I do not think there is a bug in tin generation.

The only thing I noticed is that it looks like Jason did not increase the depth that cassiterite veins spawns. Looks like 40 is the standard value set by Greg. But you can certainly change this too in order to cause even more tin to spawn in your world. But I would be careful with this, because you could make it harder for other things like Iron, Copper, Diamonds to spawn.

EDIT: did not realize Xavion was answering at the same time, but to add to his point... if you think tin is grindy, just wait till you need to find resources for end-game items! :-D

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
The X in Whatever_X=Y is the default value for Y, if they're the same its default. So that suggests tetrahedrite was made more likely for some reason.

Tin is just hard to find, use HQM and transmutation to get more if you can't find veins. I made it all the way through Bronze Age a few times using transmutation instead of finding tin veins in 3.1, in 3.2 the quest book really helps. Tin veins are not needed for progression, helpful but optional.

If you don't like grindy mining? Sorry but the pack probably isn't for you, the search for different and rare ore veins is one of the grindiest parts of GT, definitely the first really grindy challenge you should hit. Only suggestion is to duplicate your world and use /cofh clearblocks to strip away all the stone and dirt and whatnot so you can check veins without sinking shafts everywhere.

I tried duplicating a world once, the terrain generation wasn't the same. I'm not sure whether this is due to how ExtraBiomseXL works or whether I mistyed a digit in the seed information, but the same modded biomes weren't there. I might give it another shot, see if terrain generates the same way now.

Edit: Vanilla terrain seems to generate in about the same way, but if it's modded terrain, it can generate in a completely different way. Structures and features added by mods almost certainly generate in different places.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited:

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I have an issue with the early steel age quests:
One requires 12 sulfur, which you only can get with a centrifuge, but there is no quests that shows you how to build something for power generation to run it.
Thats a bit of a messup.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I tried duplicating a world once, the terrain generation wasn't the same. I'm not sure whether this is due to how ExtraBiomseXL works or whether I mistyed a digit in the seed information, but the same modded biomes weren't there. I might give it another shot, see if terrain generates the same way now.

Edit: Vanilla terrain seems to generate in about the same way, but if it's modded terrain, it can generate in a completely different way. Structures and features added by mods almost certainly generate in different places.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
Go into the saves folder in your infitech instance and copy paste the world then? That should give you an exact duplicate. The re-create option at the single player menu should duplicate a world with the exact same seed too.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Ive started working on a new sheet in the google docs document now and i was wondering if anyone could share some light on some specific calculations.

Does anyone know heat up times for Large heat exchanger?

Also many liquid fuels does not have a burn value in NEI, how do you translate a eu fuel value into steam for large boilers? for instance creosote has a burn value in a semifluid generator of 8000eu/bucket. once i know the baseline conversion i could do it for all other fluids as well

Last edited:
N

NorthernWard

One requires 12 sulfur, which you only can get with a centrifuge, but there is no quests that shows you how to build something for power generation to run it.
Thats a bit of a messup.
There is small sulfur ore scattered about deep underground, and large deposits in the nether around ~Y13-15. You'll need to collect 12 (and more for later) and clean the impure dust in a cauldron.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

- crop -

- crop -

Mining is generally hard, especially "auto"mining... it's part of why I like GT over "standard" techmods... you don't get diamonds the first day and "win the game" so to speak.
The early game in this pack is brutally punishing if you are more of a "dabbler" than a tech-nerd :)
You want to skip much of the early steam era... then I suggest you abbandon your notion of not getting world-loot chests... after all the items in them help players skip over bits of tech they don't want to do....

A note(rant) about the steam era... GT is a techmod that enhances the "realism" feeling of playing with machines in Minecraft. most if not all IRL power today is produced with the help of steam-cycle type power plants... after all it's how you get "cheap" atomic energy.
I'm pretty sure that the expansion of the steam era tech was in part to get players to change their thinking from older types of tech mods to how the GT system works... after all the steam era isn't complicated when compared with later eras. (Not complicated does not mean it isn't grindy if you choose to make it such.)
If you really want to go past the steam era fast you kinda hafto use all the options available in the pack and not be picky because you feel some might be "unfair"...(or boring to you) You could always just tell Jason what you think is overpowered about the world-loot and if it's a valid concern I'm sure he will entertain changing it in the pack.

Sorry for the long-ish rant :)

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
Thats a bit of a messup.

i apoligize about this but the main sulfur is found in the nether near the bottom of the nether. its real easy to get some and its not centrifuged.

also you should make a steam turbine lv. to turn your steam into eu. also use tin cables. it only needs some black sheep and string. both can be obtained easy especially with cotton crops and a white sheap dyed with ink sack and bred. you will need a lot of steam to fuel the steam turbine though. also to make rubber you can alloy it with that sulfur and raw rubber.

Last edited:

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
i still seem to be having some issues. my EBF seems to eat my materials. i even put 4 lv energy things on it. im now inputing 8amps of 32eu/t. that should be plenty to process but it seems to still be eating stuff... can i not put the input and output near each other? am i missing something so simple as that? id really like to get some aluminum other then finding the ingots in mineshafts/towns/dungeons.

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
Have you performed maintainance on your EBF?
ofcourse. it runs but it eats my materials. it has no bad maintenance so ive been confused as to why its not getting enough power. im producing way more power then it can use. i have mv power production but not enough aluminum from exploring to make a mv energy connector for the EBF so thats not an option.

http://imgur.com/tB8XdeQ see? nothing wrong

Last edited:
S

Sven "flamestrider"

i still seem to be having some issues. my EBF seems to eat my materials. i even put 4 lv energy things on it. im now inputing 8amps of 32eu/t. that should be plenty to process but it seems to still be eating stuff... can i not put the input and output near each other? am i missing something so simple as that? id really like to get some aluminum other then finding the ingots in mineshafts/towns/dungeons.

Try this:
do a trial-run series of the EBF placing one, then two and so on till you notice that you lose materials between input and output buses
at this point look at your energy supply: it might be that the input-hatches are receiving energy un-evenly... meaning one hatch runs out of energy faster than the others(I've had this issue myself)
after you find the problematic hatch make some alterations to "fix" your build.

I've had one of my (two)battery boxes run out of juice faster than the other, even though the wiring and power-supply is identical... how you solve such an issue is up to you and depends on how much time you're willing to tweak your setup.