Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, sorting machines aren't terrible, and CC Computers can output redstone signals, and will do what a timer does but cheaper.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well for barrels, if you have them pre-filled, you can use routers. Much better than either of the other options.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
For barrels, routers can fit twice the barrels instead of alternating pipes and barrels, it can just be a wall of barrels.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
How do you put things into tubes that isn't bad for lag?

Tubes are laggy (bad for lag) as well, so it's really a no-win situation.

How are routers better than tubes? Tubes do exactly what I want them to do.
Routers are more specialized, but can work a much larger system for fewer resources and more efficiently. They are also a good deal less laggy.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to download thebombzen's mods, how do I go about this? I'm using Ultimate pack. There's a special API, does that go into core mods or something special like that?

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
The lag or red power 2 is so intense I had to stop using the mod almost entirely. I still love it and cant wait for it to be fixed but I have switched to logistic pipes. I LOVE IT. With ender chests/pouches and a remote request pipe I can get any item from my inventory while I am out in the field. Or building around the base. Its amazing.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Is it the whole mod? Can I safely use the blulectric solars and furnaces, or is it just the pipe system I want to avoid?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding the "lag" discussion: keep in mind that "you get what you pay for".

Redpower tubes cause a performance hit because you can see the items traveling about. If you want to see your items, you must render them and track their position, which costs CPU and GPU cycles and increases the amount of data the server sends to you. No mod will ever get around this limitation. Your only other choice is to use things like routers or AE's data network, that instantly and invisibly teleports items around. Less performance hit, but you can't see it happening.

Same reason why liquiducts are less performance hungry than waterproof pipes, by the way. They don't track where liquid is flowing, but rather teleport it instantly from A to B. The graphic you see on them is not showing the actual liquid being transported, but rather an approximation of capacity colored in with the same texture the transported liquid uses. Liquiducts would be even less performance hungry if they skipped the capacity display altogether.

So, you must make the choice - if you want it to be visible, you must invest the perofrmance to render it. There's no way around that, and condemning a mod just because they allow you to see what is happening really makes no sense.

Reactions: jumpfight5

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
This goes beyond pure rendering lag. Using an RP2 transport system on my small private system, I notice a larger hit in server performance and a decrease in TPS compared to a Buildcraft system. I'm asking if anyone has done solid performance testing on RP2, or if all anyone has to offer is feeling and anecdote.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
My Sterling Engines Blew Up again On my Quarry after hitting Bedrock. (No biggy, well away from everything else) Has to be a way to stop them blowing up though (without to much setup, or transfer power elsewhere). Any suggestions?

Cheers
Redstone Energy Conduits will transport MJ (similar to conductive pipes), but with a flat 5% loss over any distance, and will simply waste any excess power, as conductive pipes did prior to a fairly recent Buildcraft update. So, if you're using conduits, there's no need to worry about engines exploding from building up too much MJ; the only possible explosion I could forsee is if you don't properly cool combustion engines.

So, Relays are bad for lag. Timers are bad for lag. How do you put things into tubes that isn't bad for lag?
If you're running the Ultimate pack, you could try the Buffer from Tubestuff, which can be used to move items between pipe and tube networks in either direction. It will automatically output items into wooden, golden, or some kinds of Logistics pipes (but not stone, cobble, and the others- use those for inputs), and will also automatically pulse a filter adjacent to it. So, in your case, you'll want to use a stone/cobble/diamond pipe to insert stuff into the buffer, and place a filter adjacent to it, with the "large hole" side facing the buffer.

Note that I'm referring to the Tubestuff buffer, not the Redpower buffer. You'll want the recipe with a chest, transposer, and filter, or a chest, redstone engine, and a wooden transport pipe. Not the recipe with iron bars and wooden planks.

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019
How do I automatically remove a minecart from a track? I use a cart dispenser to place the minecart on the track, but I can't figure out how to take it off.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
How do I automatically remove a minecart from a track? I use a cart dispenser to place the minecart on the track, but I can't figure out how to take it off.
If you give a redstone signal to a cart dispenser with no carts in it, it should attempt to pick up a cart in front of it. Detector rails or blocks are handy here.
Also, I'm not certain of this, but I'm fairly sure that the cart dispenser (You are referring to those added by Railcraft, right?) is smart enough to try to pick up a cart in front of it if it has an open inventory slot, even if it already contains a cart. Again, detectors are your friend.

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019
If you give a redstone signal to a cart dispenser with no carts in it, it should attempt to pick up a cart in front of it. Detector rails or blocks are handy here.
Also, I'm not certain of this, but I'm fairly sure that the cart dispenser (You are referring to those added by Railcraft, right?) is smart enough to try to pick up a cart in front of it if it has an open inventory slot, even if it already contains a cart. Again, detectors are your friend.

Thank you :)

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Living on an island in the middle of a Large-Biomes Ocean, thinking of draining the ocean, at least any water close to my island, good idea or bad idea? :p

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
For barrels, routers can fit twice the barrels instead of alternating pipes and barrels, it can just be a wall of barrels.
Even with Bandwitdh upgrades and speed upgrades Routers can easily backstuff a tube system.

Each time a router takes a stack of items it pulses and closes so nothing will go into the router for that second when it pulses and items will go back through the pipes the way they came or into your overflow chest if your using it for a sorting system.. I found this out from trying to fit more barrels into my sorting system. It was awesome at first because I could put more barrels and didnt have to leave room for the tubes to connect to the top of them, that is until i turned the system on and tried to feed items into it at any decent speed. You can put a few relays before the router to help it out a bit. Maybe you can put more then 1 router on the barrels and have the routers have machine filters set to to the barrels so they dont try to put items into each other.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Living on an island in the middle of a Large-Biomes Ocean, thinking of draining the ocean, at least any water close to my island, good idea or bad idea? :p

Depends on if you like lag or not.

You see fluid updates take processing power. Now with in is like a dozen or so its not so bad. But when you start to pump out large bodies of liquids removing 1 block can create a cascade of updates and this only gets worse the larger your drained are becomes.

On the upshot a ocean does not also do lighting updates like lava does. so it should not be as bad.

Reactions: Yuka