Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to power Modular Power Suit in the D20 pack without IC2?
Uninstalled a while back and kinda figured this would have its own power source. :p

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
You could always use powerconverters, turn mJ into EU/UE.[DOUBLEPOST=1362919522][/DOUBLEPOST]How many solars does it take to run a BT Engine at full power (20mj/t)?

Reactions: Yuka

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
How many solars does it take to run a BT Engine at full power (20mj/t)?

That's extremely difficult to answer because you'll need to supply 20 kW of power in order to produce 20 MJ/t. And 20 kW at around 70 V means almost 300 A. And that's a really monstrous current, trying to get across conductors that aren't really meant to handle it. Because of the way Blutricity works, the more amps you put on a conductor, the more difficult it becomes to actually move the energy, and thus the shorter the distance you can still move it becomes. For details, check the guide in my signature.

The exact voltage differential you have available to move your current is difficult to estimate because it depends on the amount of energy streaming into the engine. For example, when there's only very little energy coming in, the engine will pull the network down to 60 V, but if you're pouring tons of amps into it, it won't go quite as low. I've done a couple of high load tests, and I've seen it sit as high as 75 V because there was so much energy rushing through it at any given time. This presents the following dilemma:

- The lower the voltage of the engine is, the more power you can move to it
- The more power you move to it, the higher the voltage of the engine will be

This means that you reach an equilibrium somewhere, but it also means that you really need to jump through hoops to provide the kind of current you need to drive your engine that fast.

Let's simply assume, as I have done in the first paragraph, that you have 70 V in the engine, and aim to have 20 kW of power available. That means you need to move 286 A. Resistance = voltage differential / current; with blue alloy wire and other 'generic conductors' such as solar panels and the blulectric engine itself having a resistance value of 0.02 Ω per block. Therefore: (voltage differential / current) / 0.02 Ω = (30 V / 286 A) / 0.02 Ω = 5.24. In other words, in a best case scenario you can move your 286 A through at most 5 blocks of conductors, one of which is the blulectric engine itself.

Placing solar panels all around the engine in such a way that no panel is more than 5 blocks away, you have room for... *counts* ... 60 solar panels.

Unfortunately, these 60 solar panels only produce 120 A, not 286. Obviously, with this much lower current, you have allowance to go out farther and add a sixth ring of solars and maybe even a seventh. But with each new panel you add on the outside, the amperage on the inner conductors increases, and the more resistance becomes a problem. At some point, you will not be able to gain any additional power regardless of how many panels you add, because they simply cannot get their power output transported off anymore. You will never be able to both produce 286 A, and get it to the engine as well. It's a classic case of "can't have your cake and eat it too".

So with directly attached solar panels, it is not even possible to provide 20 kW of power to the blulectric engine. You need a way to fit more solar panels, which means finding a way to get allowance for more distance than just 5 blocks despite maintaining the power envelope. You could, for example, use 10 kV wire hook many individual groups of solars up to voltage transformers and, using the 100 times higher voltage, only move 1/100th of the amps. This allows you to have a much bigger field of solar panels connected.

But, how many solar panels do you need? That depends entirely on how you build the whole setup, and what the final voltage of the blulectric engine is. But you will probably be sitting around 250 A - 300 A current required, which means you need around 125 to 150 solar panels (each one provides 2 A).

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation Omicron, that's definitely above and beyond. Now I'm wondering if it's easier with the wind turbines. I'm going to be giving your Blutricity guide a thorough read.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
*cough*
It's an "ask a simple question, get a simple answer" thread :p
But...wow.
I read your RP2 Bluletricity thread before, but...I didn't understand any of it at all :D
I kinda understand it, but it seems like I'll have to try out wind turbines.
But wow, thanks for that!

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Problem with my RP2 Tunnel Bore. It is 16x16 and it produces far to much Cobble to handle it, so i need to destroy it.

A Filter sorts all the Crap out and Output it to Lava. it works when i am There, but not when its Chunkloaded and runs Automatic. It spits all the Cobble Out without destroying it and it lays on the Ground until it Despawns.

I placed the Lava Block at different places, as you can the in the Screenshots, but nothing helps. Or is there another way to destroy Stuff in a Redpower Tube Network?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Send it to an enderchest to your base, then send it through a void pipe. Pipes don't like frames, so that would be your best bet.

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
i dont think 1 Enderchest with 6 Wodden Pipes/Autarchic Gates on it, are enough to keep up with it :p
But when there ist no other way, i probably have to do that. (but with Electric engines Pumping out)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, just use something stronger, and you can also use as many enderchests as you want. They share the inventory :D

sixdrumquads

Jul 29, 2019
few more regarding mystcraft:

Do beehives spawn in mystcraft worlds?

is mystcraft still somewhat unstable? i am gettign a lot of errors and such when using it.

Edit. what does "leaking world" mean when it pops up in console?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
how many steam turbines can a 36b high pressure boiler support.

Two at 100% output with the ability to power four commercial (or two industrial) steam engines on the side. You can add three to utilize all of the steam from the boiler at less output, but you're almost certainly going to need the MJ to keep the system running.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i download soartex texture pack for ultimate pack. when i get in game and go to click on it. it says
soartex.zip
the default look of minecraft

i have redownloaded it 3 times.[DOUBLEPOST=1362946656][/DOUBLEPOST]i have one 36b liquid steam boiler I am using for mj. Wanted this one for pure EU. So I guess I could mix put the 3rd steam turbine on my liquid boiler and 2 mj engines on my solid burner one.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Don't I still need a machine to power the suit itself?

Or does the converter also work as a way to place and recharge stuff?
Sorry, I can't answer that, but there IS a charging station. Whether it works or not for MPS is not in my knowledge. But you should be able to plop an MFE/MFSU down and charge it that way.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I can't answer that, but there IS a charging station. Whether it works or not for MPS is not in my knowledge. But you should be able to plop an MFE/MFSU down and charge it that way.
Ah I see, hopefully the charging station thing works.
As I said, I uninstalled IC2, thus why I'm looking for non-IC2 ways to power it, MFE/ MFSU are Ic2 machines if I recall correctly, no?
(Or are ther UE?
I don't really know about that mod.)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to power Modular Power Suit in the D20 pack without IC2?
Uninstalled a while back and kinda figured this would have its own power source. :p
Ah I see, hopefully the charging station thing works.
As I said, I uninstalled IC2, thus why I'm looking for non-IC2 ways to power it, MFE/ MFSU are Ic2 machines if I recall correctly, no?
(Or are ther UE?
I don't really know about that mod.)

There is two choices for it having it's own power source, actually.
Vanilla support can't recharge usually, so the capacitors/batteries are just plug in and use for a bit, then remove the dead battery and replace it. Recent updates include two new ways to recharge the batteries you jam in it. First is the solar panel. Pretty simple, takes sunlight and makes power. Not bad, but it's useless at night and underground. Best choice IMO is the Kinetic Recharging Thingy-Jigger(forgot the actual name). At max size, it recharges 1kV per five meters you walk. Bit of a glitch, though, but I'll post that in the tricks thread.