Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on if you like lag or not.

You see fluid updates take processing power. Now with in is like a dozen or so its not so bad. But when you start to pump out large bodies of liquids removing 1 block can create a cascade of updates and this only gets worse the larger your drained are becomes.

On the upshot a ocean does not also do lighting updates like lava does. so it should not be as bad.

Hmm, and without counting the drain itself, would you say I may have better performance with or without the water?
I like the idea of a waterless ocean mountain-y landscape, but if its gonna cause performance issues during and after the drain, I might as well just move somewhere else. :p

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, and without counting the drain itself, would you say I may have better performance with or without the water?
I like the idea of a waterless ocean mountain-y landscape, but if its gonna cause performance issues during and after the drain, I might as well just move somewhere else. :p

During yes... After nope. Once there is no updates there will be no new lag. I did this once on a server cleared about 3x3 chunk area of water the old fashion way with a TON of sand. No issue at all once a cleared it out and have my ocean floor exposed.

The updates only happen when the water is spreading once it stops updating/spreading it will no longer be an issue.

Reactions: Yuka

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
During yes... After nope. Once there is no updates there will be no new lag. I did this once on a server cleared about 3x3 chunk area of water the old fashion way with a TON of sand. No issue at all once a cleared it out and have my ocean floor exposed.

The updates only happen when the water is spreading once it stops updating/spreading it will no longer be an issue.
Aright, draining the ocean it is!
Thanks.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i am using geo-thermal generators an pumping lava from bottom of overworld. What would be the next step of eu production be. It drained the lava lake i found. I have 3 mfsu full of EU. Found a new lava lake, but it is only about half the size of the first one.

I want to try not to use the nether if I can.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
i am using geo-thermal generators an pumping lava from bottom of overworld. What would be the next step of eu production be. It drained the lava lake i found. I have 3 mfsu full of EU. Found a new lava lake, but it is only about half the size of the first one.

I want to try not to use the nether if I can.

Pump oil (liquid tesseract), convert to fuel (refinery powered by combustion engine+fuel) and use diesel generators (384k/bucket of fuel) or combustion engine+magma crucible+thermal gen (around double the eu you get from diesel gen.). If you are lucky, 1 very big oil pool is enough until you reach near end game (although it's not enough for uum production in default GT).

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i used the 2 oil spots I found around my base to to fuel my steam boiler. is there a way to turn it into Eu? I have a 36 block steel steam boiler at 1000c. I have 250,000 buckets of fuel left, but i have some bio-fuel ready to go after that. Or can I run bio-fuel in the diesel generators.

I have a steve cart tree farm and it has 100 stacks of saplings saved up at the moment.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
i used the 2 oil spots I found around my base to to fuel my steam boiler. is there a way to turn it into Eu? I have a 36 block steel steam boiler at 1000c. I have 250,000 buckets of fuel left, but i have some bio-fuel ready to go after that. Or can I run bio-fuel in the diesel generators.

I have a steve cart tree farm and it has 100 stacks of saplings saved up at the moment.

You can run biofuel and fuel in diesel generators; if you want more eu, you can use fuel to generate MJ (using steam) and use magma crucible+thermal generator to convert it to EU (the ratio is 1:1.125 for MJ:EU IIRC), you can also use the OP power converter that use 2:5 ratio to get even more eu.

I personally use fuel in diesel generators, they are enough to feed those hungry GT machines for me, don't need to use those OP converter since I'm not using fuel to feed the matter fabricator.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
in nei it says steam turbine is 3x2x2 that is 3 tall and 2x2 wide correct?

I have alot of logs almost 400 stacks now. I should build another boiler and heat with the wood and use it for eu and just use my liquid boiler for mj?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
in nei it says steam turbine is 3x2x2 that is 3 tall and 2x2 wide correct?

I have alot of logs almost 400 stacks now. I should build another boiler and heat with the wood and use it for eu and just use my liquid boiler for mj?

Actual its 3 wide 2 tall 2 deep.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
It'll chop them, but it won't plant them. Use a redpower deployer to plant the saplings, or maybe a computer.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,
Just started on Turtles.
Zombie spawner five times turtle doing a simple attack program.
Question One: Can I name each Turtle through LUA? or is it default 0,1,2,3 etc
Question Two: Mellee turtle don't get drops from killing the Mobs? Have just lvled to 50 and not one Shard of Minium. Only 5 Flesh and about 15 heads.

Mellee turtles dont appear to have an Inventory is that right? Even though it takes a chest like all the rest. I doubt I suppose they could still be filling up Inventory?

Any Clues please.
Cheers
EDIT: Doh I really should look harder. Before posting, Strike question Two. Yes Inventory is filling up!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So I haven't used much Buildcraft stuff in a while, and I keep seeing this new Emerald pipe, and I'm curious, what does it do? I bet it's something fancy though.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,
Just started on Turtles.
Zombie spawner five times turtle doing a simple attack program.
Question One: Can I name each Turtle through LUA? or is it default 0,1,2,3 etc
Question Two: Mellee turtle don't get drops from killing the Mobs? Have just lvled to 50 and not one Shard of Minium. Only 5 Flesh and about 15 heads.

Mellee turtles dont appear to have an Inventory is that right? Even though it takes a chest like all the rest. I doubt I suppose they could still be filling up Inventory?

Any Clues please.
Cheers
You can name the turtles via the label command. I forget the exact syntax but believe it is something like "label set Bob". Melee turtles have the standard 16 slot inventory which is at the lower right of the GUI when you right-click them. I have heard that minium shards will not drop from turtle kills, however I have no experience with this since the pack I use (Mindcrack) does not have EE.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
You can name the turtles via the label command. I forget the exact syntax but believe it is something like "label set Bob". Melee turtles have the standard 16 slot inventory which is at the lower right of the GUI when you right-click them. I have heard that minium shards will not drop from turtle kills, however I have no experience with this since the pack I use (Mindcrack) does not have EE.

Awsome. Thank You will investigate a little further into LUA before I post again. Edited my Post while you were typing. Sorry. Holiday here tomo, so having a couple.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
So I haven't used much Buildcraft stuff in a while, and I keep seeing this new Emerald pipe, and I'm curious, what does it do? I bet it's something fancy though.
It's like a filter, and for waterproof it holds 4x more than wood waterproof.

Reactions: YX33A

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You can run biofuel and fuel in diesel generators; if you want more eu, you can use fuel to generate MJ (using steam) and use magma crucible+thermal generator to convert it to EU (the ratio is 1:1.125 for MJ:EU IIRC), you can also use the OP power converter that use 2:5 ratio to get even more eu.
Power Converters also lets you convert steam into MJ or EU respectively. So, with an Extreme Voltage (although a lower voltage might work) EU Producer and a Steam Consumer, you should be able to get something equivalent to the 2:5 MJ to EU ratio (if not a smidge better- the power converters don't quite use that ratio), but without having to mess with so many pipes/liquiducts, steam engines, or lossy conduits.

I think the emerald transport pipe is similar to a Redpower filter- you can specify what items to pull, and it won't pull anything else; and the emerald waterproof pipe is a wooden waterproof pipe with the capacity of gold.
Not certain on either of these, but I'm fairly sure.

Reactions: YX33A