FTB Infinity Skyblock 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
yea i cant play single player minecraft, even tho my play style doesnt change when on a server i seem to enjoy it a lot more. Ive been putting some time into this pack, ive always really enjoyed skyblock packs so this suits me well. Progression will go faster a lot faster once you get fully upgraded auto sieves, they will pump out ALOT of resources. Im hoping to setup auto processing and little crafting today after work as i finally got my logistic setup.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I post this at great risk to the enjoyment of others, so I'll put it in a spoiler - it's what I would term an exploit to obtain a somewhat difficult item, soul sand. In my opinion there should be a recipe change.

I used a bit of what I would term an exploit to generate my initial quantity of soul sand. Browsing thru NEI, soul sand seems intended to be made in a Barrel, by combining sand with some kind of Witches brew... which in turn is made in a Barrel by combining water and mushroom stew. Thus, I set out to make mushroom spores via Agricraft for making that stew.

However, I soon also realized there's another way - by putting Railcraft Blast Furnace Brick into a Rock Crusher. Most likely, the Railcraft recipe used to require soul sand (prior to Expert-mode recipe changes), and therefore the Rock Crusher outputs both Soul Sand as well as Nether Brick. But that's an exploit in some ways, because you don't use Soul Sand to make the Blast Furnace Bricks, all you need is TNT (gunpowder and sand) and regular clay bricks. Usually, when crushing (or otherwise recycling) items, you get back what you put in (in terms of its recipe). In this case, you wouldn't get much back at all besides sand, since TNT emerging intact from the Rock Crusher would be pretty LOL. :) Sorry if this ruins anyone's fun if it results in a recipe change. I can't say I was disappointed to utilize it!

actually that is a harder way to get it, but interesting "bug" you found. Once you get ancient spores from sieveing sand you can make mycelium, put a barrel near this with water and it will convert to witch water in ~10 sec or so. Then click sand and it gives you soul sand.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
netherwart and mushroom needs to be grown in a dark room. If you are breeding it with something such as a carrot you can grow the carrot then put a box around the crops to grow the netherwart

Thanks, I def missed that part. In fact, I'm not ever sure how I would have found that out, it's certainly not found on the Netherwart page in the Agricraft book (which would be the obvious place for the info). In fact, there's a "brightness range" shown for each crop in the book, and Netherwart's brightness range is no different from carrots or potatoes. LOL Ah well, thanks for the tip. Still struggling with it, surrounding the entire thing with cobblestone didn't seem to do anything, the netherwart didn't grow at all in a half hour's time. sigh

Edit: Further progress, my mistake was not leaving an air block above the nether wart, I put the cobble right on top of the crops at first. Got the wart to grow finally, thanks!

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
yea i cant play single player minecraft, even tho my play style doesnt change when on a server i seem to enjoy it a lot more. Ive been putting some time into this pack, ive always really enjoyed skyblock packs so this suits me well. Progression will go faster a lot faster once you get fully upgraded auto sieves, they will pump out ALOT of resources. Im hoping to setup auto processing and little crafting today after work as i finally got my logistic setup.

Oh it's bordering on the ridiculous, really. I have 8 Immersive Water Wheels now, so that's 88*8=704 RF/t total power generation. Naturally I insert just enough Speed Upgrades into the Auto Hammers and Auto Sieves to max out my power usage, a perfect balance so I'm running top speed but not really draining down my power (it's about 20 Speed Upgrades in each machines).

Up until that point (Days 1 & 2), I was sifting by hand and constantly out of redstone. But just before bedtime (real bedtime), I got everything hooked up and running properly. I signed off and let the FTB Utils chunk loader do its thing. And oh my did it ever do its thing... I arrived 8 hours later to a floor full of stuff (LOL), the diamond chest I was using probably overflowed 4 hours in... and even wasting half the nighttime, I think there was 5 or 6 stacks of redstone dust in the chest. I LOL'ed and knew immediately that all my troubles were over. And it was only Day#3 of the modpack!

Since then I discovered the Auto Compressor, rigged up a better storage system so nothing overflows during the nighttime... and holey moley I can't possibly use all the mats (raw materials) coming in. hahahaha

Imagine when I get some REAL powergen going, instead of this puny 700 RF/t? Yikes!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have any tips on getting tongue of dog and wool of bat? I have no idea how the Ex Compressum bait is used, but I imagine I can somehow use it to get a dog to spawn, correct? Does a grinder kill bats and produce wool of bat?

I've never used Witchery before, but I've always had a decent supply of these from hellhounds and random bats previously.

HELPFUL TIP! For obtaining Wool Of Bat...

I have a 1x2x2 "dark room" with a Forestry Moistener for making Mycelium. I began hearing bat noises, finally I investigated. When I broke open the little tiny dark room, I would estimate there were at least 8 bats inside, all squeaking away. LOL As soon as I punched thru, bat after bat emerged, flying out just like they do from underground caves in real life. LOL Or just like in a horror movie. hahaha

Anyhow... this is clearly the answer to your question Vaeliorin. Whether it can be automated, perhaps someone can figure a way - using lava dispenser to kill the bats that spawn in there might also burn up the wool drops, so maybe filling the room with water at intervals to drown them instead? Just thinking out loud, worth some experimenting.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
haha yea you can get those pumping out a lot of resources. i have 6 pulverizers fully upgraded for gravel,sand, and dust being fed into 3 auto sieves which are full upgraded speed and fortune, pulvs use 800 rf/t and the sieves if i recall are ~1100, all being powered with beef wellingtons :) . My progress is a little slowed as im playing on an "open" server which has chunkloaders turned off and it restarts in the early morning so i cant just go AFK over night. I finally got all my ores stored in compacting drawers last night so its a lot more organized .

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
For those who are better at Logistics Pipes than I am, is there anyway to auto-craft stuff where the recipe uses a non-consumable item such as a blood orb and have it not require multiple blood orbs when requesting multiple of the same item.

Trying to craft a blood rune using a way stone, entropy shard, 4 stones, 2 blank runes and a weak blood orb. however requesting 10 of them and the LP system tells me I am missing 9 blood orbs. Can request one at a time but that kind of defeats the purpose of auto-crafting blank runes. Only workaround I found so far was to not tell the crafting pipe that it needs a weak blood orb but put the recipe in correctly to the logistics crafting table and just leave the blood orb in the crafting table which works but would require a seperate blood orb for every recipe that uses a blood orb.

Crafting byproduct upgrade doesn't work, putting the blood orb in the extra slot just causes the system not to send the blood orb at all.

what you could do is set up a transfer node crafting area. Use supplier modules to keep certain things in stock in the chests. Then use a crafting module with satellite pipe for the crafting. The transfer node crafting should send the orb back to the originating chest. I did something similar with auto crafting machine frames by keeping gears/crushed obsidian/circuits/dense plates in the assembly table and when crafting I would just send the iron/emerald chipset with as satellite pipe on the output chest.

Oh and to not need to use multiple orbs, use an enderchest for the orbs. you can then craft multiple types with the enderchest in the orb position.

Last edited:

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting method, though I already crafted orbs for almost every recipe I needed them for.

Well now I ran into my next problem. Wanted the eldritch eyes for tier 4 blood orb. Wouldn't mind some primordial pearls while I'm at it for other things especially the advanced alchemical furnace. Problem is while I could get the eldritch eyes using warp effects to complete the recipe for the portal-in-a-box if I'm not mistaken opening the portal requires that the opening the eye research be completed. With that said I can't find a method to get the crimson rites book. NEI shows nothing on the spawn crimson cultists or portal eggs also doesn't show anything on the book itself. I gave myself all the research in a creative world and still nothing. Even used the portal-in-a-box in the creative world and it doesn't spawn guardians or crimson cultists.

stry67

Jul 29, 2019
Passive mob spawn area. I have a small-ish area, 4 sides of 1 block wide by about 5 blocks long. So far, its not generating a lot of mobs. I know there's a distance required but what else could I do to generate a larger number of mobs for the ever elusive ender pearls?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
(other than ae stuff they changed to the wrench as mentioned)
Nope, that wrench style recipe was added to normal IE:E in one of the last updates. The only recipes I've actually spotted as different are draconic gear which don't use dense ores in IE:S, stuff for ex nihilo/agricraft compatibility like the crafting of ores or presses.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Passive mob spawn area. I have a small-ish area, 4 sides of 1 block wide by about 5 blocks long. So far, its not generating a lot of mobs. I know there's a distance required but what else could I do to generate a larger number of mobs for the ever elusive ender pearls?

Everybody on my server did the same kinda thing - 15x15 spawn pad, 3x3 hole in middle for mobs to drop down, then place 5 ExtraUtils fans against the wall on all 4 sides (20 fans total), and I put a half-slab in each corner so no mobs can spawn there and get stuck between two fans. Seal it up dark (make it 3 tall for Endermen), then outside opposite each fan put 20 levers and turn em all on. For the middle drop area, its a 10 block drop onto Punji Sticks. First Ender Pearl I got from the setup (collecting carefully from the outside by hand) I used to make a Vacuum Hopper and from there just walk far enough away but not too far, and let the stuff accumulate. Rate of Ender Pearls was very slow but the setup will do for the time being. In a few hours I've gotten 4 or 5 stacks of pearls, which is plenty to get started. The other thing I really needed was mob head drops, I needed 3 so I could make those Z-Logic things. By using half-slabs I was able to make small openings for my sword so I could get a few "manual" kills while the Punji Sticks were doing their own damage. This got me my 3 heads without too much delay.

Next step will be to replace Punji with Spikes so we get rare drops too (such as the heads).

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
HELPFUL TIP! For obtaining Wool Of Bat...

I have a 1x2x2 "dark room" with a Forestry Moistener for making Mycelium. I began hearing bat noises, finally I investigated. When I broke open the little tiny dark room, I would estimate there were at least 8 bats inside, all squeaking away. LOL As soon as I punched thru, bat after bat emerged, flying out just like they do from underground caves in real life. LOL Or just like in a horror movie. hahaha

Anyhow... this is clearly the answer to your question Vaeliorin. Whether it can be automated, perhaps someone can figure a way - using lava dispenser to kill the bats that spawn in there might also burn up the wool drops, so maybe filling the room with water at intervals to drown them instead? Just thinking out loud, worth some experimenting.
Yeah, I set up a dark room with a grinder, which I heard killing bats when I was placing the 504 skulls I used to stabilize my infusion altar. I still haven't gotten any wool of bat from it (I'm guessing the grinder doesn't drop them), but I disabled the grinder for a while and caught one in a Soul Vial. I'll set up a spawner so I can manually kill them at some point, but I realized I don't have the altar power to do what I wanted the wool of bat for (redstone soup) anyway.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
FInding some oddities in recipes. For instance, Wooden Spike requires a sword made from two Unstable Ingots (and this is the lowest tier Spike). But the next higher Spike, Iron, only requires 3 Iron Swords plus Iron Blocks. What? LOL

I'm not in-game, so I'm wondering if the Wood Spike doesn't require the QED to make it? Perhaps that's why it requires the Unstable Ingots, I dunno. QED is easy, hardest part is the 50 million RF required to make the Resonant Machine Frame, took me about 8 hours or so. lol

Yeah, I set up a dark room with a grinder, which I heard killing bats when I was placing the 504 skulls I used to stabilize my infusion altar. I still haven't gotten any wool of bat from it (I'm guessing the grinder doesn't drop them), but I disabled the grinder for a while and caught one in a Soul Vial. I'll set up a spawner so I can manually kill them at some point, but I realized I don't have the altar power to do what I wanted the wool of bat for (redstone soup) anyway.

Oh I guess you were asking about automating the collection of the bat wool... yeah, I had the same problem in the previous Expert Mode modpack, all I could do was make sure I used a Looting III sword to try and get more drops since I never figured out a way to automate.

Last edited:

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Everybody on my server did the same kinda thing - 15x15 spawn pad, 3x3 hole in middle for mobs to drop down, then place 5 ExtraUtils fans against the wall on all 4 sides (20 fans total), and I put a half-slab in each corner so no mobs can spawn there and get stuck between two fans. Seal it up dark (make it 3 tall for Endermen), then outside opposite each fan put 20 levers and turn em all on. For the middle drop area, its a 10 block drop onto Punji Sticks. First Ender Pearl I got from the setup (collecting carefully from the outside by hand) I used to make a Vacuum Hopper and from there just walk far enough away but not too far, and let the stuff accumulate. Rate of Ender Pearls was very slow but the setup will do for the time being. In a few hours I've gotten 4 or 5 stacks of pearls, which is plenty to get started. The other thing I really needed was mob head drops, I needed 3 so I could make those Z-Logic things. By using half-slabs I was able to make small openings for my sword so I could get a few "manual" kills while the Punji Sticks were doing their own damage. This got me my 3 heads without too much delay.

Next step will be to replace Punji with Spikes so we get rare drops too (such as the heads).

Yea and then use the spikes to collect EXP using the vacuum hopper. Personally I built my tower 25 tall, used Extra Utilites conveyors for the flooring, mobs spawn on these, and then made a 3x3 hole in the middle. same effect though I've just never been a huge fan of fans. Later on I converted the spikes on the bottom to be deployable via conveyors so I could manually sacrifice mobs. This had the added benefit of the spikes when re-deploying killing all the mobs that have accumulated on the sacrifice area since it was literally right underneath where the spikes where. When they happened to die from the spikes I could use the mass death to refill atleast half of my greatwood wand with vis from the death drops lol. It's a very multipurpose mob spawner. LP, EXP, Drops, Wand refilling. Even half tempted to use that room to level up some tinker's weapon. However I have books for looting 3, Wrath 4(will make it 5), and sharpness 4(same). So not too in need of a strong tinker's sword. But a sword with 15 modifiers sounds fun.

FInding some oddities in recipes. For instance, Wooden Spike requires a sword made from two Unstable Ingots (and this is the lowest tier Spike). But the next higher Spike, Iron, only requires 3 Iron Swords plus Iron Blocks. What? LOL

I'm not in-game, so I'm wondering if the Wood Spike doesn't require the QED to make it? Perhaps that's why it requires the Unstable Ingots, I dunno. QED is easy, hardest part is the 50 million RF required to make the Resonant Machine Frame, took me about 8 hours or so. lol

Oh I guess you were asking about automating the collection of the bat wool... yeah, I had the same problem in the previous Expert Mode modpack, all I could do was make sure I used a Looting III sword to try and get more drops since I never figured out a way to automate.

Use a looting 3 arthana for even better drops. The recipe I don't believe is a mistake. Wooden spikes while being made out of wood are used to reduce a mob HP to 1 for manual killing this makes it more powerful than a iron spike if you want rare drops and EXP and don't mind the added manual effort. The change is probably more important in a non-skyblock enviroment where the diamonds for a diamond spike or the gold for the gold spike might actually be more important

Last edited:
Reactions: LegendLength

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I need more power. I've got 32 8X culinary gens and I have periods where I'm draining my Vibrant capacitor bank. I'm producing plutonium via UU matter, being powered by 8 IC2 reactors generating 420 EU each (7 quad rods per) and 4 resonant solar panels, so hopefully Big Reactors isn't too far off. I'm half tempted to just make iridium via UU matter since it's so much cheaper (120 versus 292 iirc) and skip straight to turbines powered by railcraft boilers.

I think the power drain is due to my 2 lava fabricators, but I simply wasn't producing lava fast enough via crucible (8 over pyrotheum) to keep up with my netherrack demands (since I'm sieving it for draconium...end stone draconium could only be directly smelted, while I can QED netherrack generated draconium...if I had infinite cinnabar I could get around 1.25 per dust block from endstone by automating a couple induction smelters.)

Compressed mobs are also a problem sometimes. I keep getting pelted by flaming arrows from Wither skeletons that have escaped when a compressed skeleton falls through Witch Water and gets killed, spawning Wither skeletons outside my wither skeleton farm. I might look and see if I can turn compressed mobs off in the configs, because it's pretty annoying.

That said, I'm having fun. I stopped playing the non-skyblock expert mode because I made a bad choice early-mid game (I tried to build the Immersive Engineering diesel generator and after going through many stacks of iron, still couldn't even produce fuel, let alone build the generator, and I'd had about all the manual mining I could stomach for so little gain) and the skyblock has allowed me to experience some of the changes. I'm considering going back to standard expert mode, just so that I might actually build something more interesting than a giant, flat (chiseled) cobblestone floor, but regardless, really happy to play the skyblock.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
(since I'm sieving it for draconium...end stone draconium could only be directly smelted, while I can QED netherrack generated draconium...if I had infinite cinnabar I could get around 1.25 per dust block from endstone by automating a couple induction smelters.)
I've done the maths earlier in this thread iirc but basically the numbers line up and say it's not worth it, while you get more draconium per crushed draconic ore via netherrack getting 3.5x more of them from endstone makes it give more draconium per block of endstone. Of course to produce endstone you still need lava but for draconium it's better to go for endstone than netherrack. In fact dredged it up, here it is.
Cobalt and ardite you need basically none of yeah, and mana-infused metal from sifting is irrelevant when you can convert silver into it at a 1:1 ratio for free. For making ore the only use is automation, processing 4 ex astris draconium dust with a fortune 3 hammer gives 4.8 ingots, with turning it into draconium ore then mining it with a fortune 3 pickaxe it should average 6.5 draconium I think, a 1.625 yield compared to the 1.2 yield of the dust blocks. Note that getting it from netherrack instead gives you AOBD draconium dust which can be processed in a QED for 3 ingots each with a piece of coal.

So yeah, each piece of endstone averages about 0.2 draconium ingots with full fortune 3 + induction smelter processing, while each piece of netherrack averages 0.1 ingots and has to be processed semi-manually.

Also just build more crucibles if you need more lava.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I need more power. I've got 32 8X culinary gens and I have periods where I'm draining my Vibrant capacitor bank. I'm producing plutonium via UU matter, being powered by 8 IC2 reactors generating 420 EU each (7 quad rods per) and 4 resonant solar panels, so hopefully Big Reactors isn't too far off. I'm half tempted to just make iridium via UU matter since it's so much cheaper (120 versus 292 iirc) and skip straight to turbines powered by railcraft boilers.

I think the power drain is due to my 2 lava fabricators, but I simply wasn't producing lava fast enough via crucible (8 over pyrotheum) to keep up with my netherrack demands (since I'm sieving it for draconium...end stone draconium could only be directly smelted, while I can QED netherrack generated draconium...if I had infinite cinnabar I could get around 1.25 per dust block from endstone by automating a couple induction smelters.)

Compressed mobs are also a problem sometimes. I keep getting pelted by flaming arrows from Wither skeletons that have escaped when a compressed skeleton falls through Witch Water and gets killed, spawning Wither skeletons outside my wither skeleton farm. I might look and see if I can turn compressed mobs off in the configs, because it's pretty annoying.

That said, I'm having fun. I stopped playing the non-skyblock expert mode because I made a bad choice early-mid game (I tried to build the Immersive Engineering diesel generator and after going through many stacks of iron, still couldn't even produce fuel, let alone build the generator, and I'd had about all the manual mining I could stomach for so little gain) and the skyblock has allowed me to experience some of the changes. I'm considering going back to standard expert mode, just so that I might actually build something more interesting than a giant, flat (chiseled) cobblestone floor, but regardless, really happy to play the skyblock.
but you get much higher (2x I believe) drop chance for draconic stuff from endstone so the numbers suggest going the endstone route

For power check the nether star generator if your supply of wither heads and soul sand is halfway decent it should last you a while.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Use a looting 3 arthana for even better drops. The recipe I don't believe is a mistake. Wooden spikes while being made out of wood are used to reduce a mob HP to 1 for manual killing this makes it more powerful than a iron spike if you want rare drops and EXP and don't mind the added manual effort. The change is probably more important in a non-skyblock enviroment where the diamonds for a diamond spike or the gold for the gold spike might actually be more important

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know wood spikes had that feature. And I also took a look, and sure enough, the wood spike recipe does NOT require the QED like all the other spikes do.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I've done the maths earlier in this thread iirc but basically the numbers line up and say it's not worth it, while you get more draconium per crushed draconic ore via netherrack getting 3.5x more of them from endstone makes it give more draconium per block of endstone. Of course to produce endstone you still need lava but for draconium it's better to go for endstone than netherrack. In fact dredged it up, here it is.

Also just build more crucibles if you need more lava.
Yeah, I saw that earlier, and the math didn't make any sense to me. I'm not used to Draconic Evolution (I've mostly played self-built packs centered around either Rotarycraft or Mekanism in 1.7), so I forgot that it's fortunable, I was thinking of it being like iron. I might switch back over to end stone (though I was glad to get some extra cobalt and ardite for a cleaver and hammer.)

As for the crucibles, my FPS is already getting crushed by all the automation I have going, and my understanding has been that crucibles are hard on FPS (because of the constant visual updating.) If that's not true, I may build some more, but I'd need a massive number of them to keep up (something like a bucket's worth every 2 seconds or so, assuming I don't use any endstone or obsidian.) I just need to move into some higher tier power gen, which should be available shortly. I'm getting just under 25 plutonium per run of my reactors, plus whatever my replicator spits out, so hopefully I should have a big reactor soon.

ratchet freak - I've got the soul sand (25k or so) but only 16 wither skulls so far. That's why I was so annoyed about the wither skeletons escaping...I've had the spawner running for maybe 5 minutes, and I've had wither skeletons escape twice. I guess I could use the auto-spawner (which would hopefully avoid the compressed mobs), but that means I'd need a better supply of mob essence, which is just a hassle I hate dealing with (mostly because it means I need two mob farms, since grinders dont give all the player only drops.)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
ratchet freak - I've got the soul sand (25k or so) but only 16 wither skulls so far. That's why I was so annoyed about the wither skeletons escaping...I've had the spawner running for maybe 5 minutes, and I've had wither skeletons escape twice. I guess I could use the auto-spawner (which would hopefully avoid the compressed mobs), but that means I'd need a better supply of mob essence, which is just a hassle I hate dealing with (mostly because it means I need two mob farms, since grinders dont give all the player only drops.)

In non-Skyblock Infinity Evolved, I finally solved this issue when the light bulb went on (DOH!) and I plopped an MFR Auto-Spawner right in the middle of the 9x9 Cursed Earth spawn pad. In fact, I even added a second Auto-Spawner one block above the first, so I could run 2 Wither Skele's at the same time. You'll get so much Essence from the Cursed Earth mobs you can basically run Witches or Blazes or whatever non-stop with the Auto-Spawner, that's what I did. And it was still an excess of Essence.

Just rig up a light switch which will turn off the Cursed Earth mobs, then make a temporary opening in the wall and spawn your Wither Skele's nonstop until you've gotten a nice stack of heads or so in a half hour's time. Of course, use the beheading Cleaver from Tinker's, maxxed out, etc.