What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I wasted 5 minutes of my life before I decided to figure this out myself. Although now I kinda wanna dig up a dedicated lua editor. Notepad is terrible. (I'll probably try notepad++ tonight)
From my experience notepad++ works like a charm, however I personally prefer gedit/pluma-teksteditor but I wouldn't be surprised if those are Linux only (never bothered to check)

Reactions: DeathOfTime

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Hmm, no pluma, but there's definitely a gedit :)
Considering that pluma is just a fork of gedit to make it work nicely in a mate desktop environment the fact that pluma doesn't have a windows version doesn't matter.
It also looks that it uses the older interface and not the one found by default when using gnome on Debian (perhaps other distro's have different defaults, no idea if that is the case)
gedit311-plugins.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Welcome to the cc club :p

As you might have noticed the default editor of cc is kind of bad so just as a general tip for everyone that wants to make a script for cc you can edit a script in any editor you like if the save is local even while the game is running and even while the script is running. You will have to relaunch the script for any changes to take effect though.
The files are at {your save file}/computer/{your computer id}/{your script}
Do note though that you first need to save a non-empty file using the computer before its folder gets created.
I wasted 5 minutes of my life before I decided to figure this out myself. Although now I kinda wanna dig up a dedicated lua editor. Notepad is terrible. (I'll probably try notepad++ tonight)
Honestly I just write my scripts directly on Pastebin.com
It doesnt have the "on the fly" LUA highlight, but once you save the script it does(if you choose it so).
And then it is a simple task of importing the script into a computer ingame by using "pastebin get <pastebincode> <programname>", where pastebin code is the last bits of the url of script.

And as a bonus you have all your scripts backed up and saved in a localised place for future uses/reference.

Reactions: Pyure

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
IF it's turned on in the server config. Gotta check that before using Pastebin.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
The 1.8.9 mod BuildingBricks adds dirt slabs - including using them in worldgen! It's wonderful not having to bunny hop across the terrain. I ran into it in the Simply Magic 2 pack.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what your point is dude. If this is in reference to my mining obsidian with equal trade, how do the machines in your packs have anything to do with the wands in my packs?

You were complaining that the mining of obsidian was giving you carpal tunnel issues. That's understandable.

The idea of a potentially excessive "cheap instant-mining" wand has the problem of being potentially excessive. And yet, the whole "hold your hand in a poor position for too many seconds to mine obsidian" is a real complaint.

Normally, I cast obsidian where I want it. If I actually want the item form, the vanilla choice is to use enchantments and/or beacons to make the harvesting reasonable.

And, in modded minecraft, there are machines that give you the item form, so you don't have to deal with carpal issues.

---

I guess the issue, for me, is this: The Wand of Equal Trade is something that I've seen abuse maps. As a creative mode tool, it's wonderful. As a late game "Go ahead and completely alter the map" tool, it's great. It fits well in skyblock type maps, for example.

But as a relatively early game tool that makes normal mining challenges/difficulties non-existant?

---

I am not trying to put you down for carpal issues. I have them myself. I think that "click-drag" is horrible, and the person that came up with that idea should be forced to have to click-drag-lift mouse and reposition-repeat a few dozen times to realize just how horrible of an idea it is. I love multi-mine just so that if I do have to pause mining a hard block (a wrist movement, or a need to relax those muscles, etc.), I have not lost my progress.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Veinminer isn't completely broken if you set the limit to ~6 blocks and don't allow it to mine stone and other generic blocks.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered this a long time ago, but I still think it's worth posting about:
I used to be incredibly pessimistic, cynical, and sarcastic, and then I discovered XKCD. XKCD is also sarcastic and a little cynical sometimes, but the character Beret Guy is always naively optimistic (and endowed with super powers such that he always wins arguments against other characters even when wrong, but that's a different issue).
After reading XKCD for a little while, I realized "Hey, being pessimistic makes me sad. I'm going to take Beret Guy's view of life." It was a little less sudden than that, but not by much. I'm now an optimistic individual, even if I'm still ridiculously sarastic sometimes. :p
Here's the comic which best illustrates that optimism.

kayak.png
Sorry that this is totally unrelated and I missed the discussion, BUT XKCD IS GREAT

If you like xkcd you should check out http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php

If you're looking for a webcomic with some slight story elements as well with the one-off jokes http://phdcomics.com/comics.php is great

Finally if you're looking for full-on story I reccommend: Questionable Content, El Goonish Shive, Gunnerkrigg Court, and Shortpacked/Dumbing of Age (alternate universe versions of each other)

*web comic guy away*

Reactions: Type1Ninja

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Sorry that this is totally unrelated and I missed the discussion, BUT XKCD IS GREAT

If you like xkcd you should check out http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php

If you're looking for a webcomic with some slight story elements as well with the one-off jokes http://phdcomics.com/comics.php is great

Finally if you're looking for full-on story I reccommend: Questionable Content, El Goonish Shive, Gunnerkrigg Court, and Shortpacked/Dumbing of Age (alternate universe versions of each other)

*web comic guy away*
If you're looking for a really messed up comic, check out cyanide and happiness.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
In Journeymap, if you switch to Overworld Waypoints while in Nether, their coordinates will be shown converted to corresponding Nether coordinates (i.e. divided by 8).
From what I have seen this make it much easier to make Nether Portals as well. The nether portal will match up to the closest other nether portal on the other side. Using the Translated X,Z coordinates.

I used this once to make a nether portal for someone that hadn't been to the nether yet. They made the portal in the overworld a long while later and they match up perfectly.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
A useful time saver i found out by accident today was that right clicking Livingrock onto the runic alter when it's finished consuming mana, will "drop" the livingrock on top of the alter. The same trick as the petal apothecary applies to it too.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A useful time saver i found out by accident today was that right clicking Livingrock onto the runic alter when it's finished consuming mana, will "drop" the livingrock on top of the alter. The same trick as the petal apothecary applies to it too.
This is probably obvious, but another Pure Daisy-related item I found recently is that Equal-Trade makes "harvesting" your livingrock a billion times easier, if you have access to it. I tend to farm 8-10 daisies worth of livingrock/wood at a time, so having a quick means of picking it up is super nice. (You replace it with another bunch of stone or wood or whatever you anticipate you'll need more of next)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
This is probably obvious, but another Pure Daisy-related item I found recently is that Equal-Trade makes "harvesting" your livingrock a billion times easier, if you have access to it. I tend to farm 8-10 daisies worth of livingrock/wood at a time, so having a quick means of picking it up is super nice. (You replace it with another bunch of stone or wood or whatever you anticipate you'll need more of next)
Okay, that's actually pretty brilliant. Combine that with tile accelerators, and you can farm stacks of livingwood/rock with ease. Neat!