• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
FTB Unstable has Buildcraft and a few other mods in it that are supposedly for 1.8.9. When I checked the buildcraft website, there was no 1.8.9 download, only 1.7.10

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I tested out ftb Unstable, and frankly it sucks. 1.7.10 has been around for 500 days and other than Thaumcraft, ComputerCraft, and Bloodmagic all the other mods in the pack are either 1) Very Unstable, or 2) Downright garbage

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm sure the devs will be glad to hear your comments, it takes a monumental effort to port to 1.8.9.
No one is going to deny that. With the fundamental changes to rendering, pretty much everything to do with making it look like anything is pretty much needing to be completely scrapped and re-written, not to mention all the other changes.

It's not an insult to the devs that this hasn't been done yet, it is a simple fact of reality. This is still a work in progress. It probably won't finish until 1.9. Which is why the vast majority of the most aren't updated and stable on 1.8.9, and IMO, probably will never be.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
No one is going to deny that. With the fundamental changes to rendering, pretty much everything to do with making it look like anything is pretty much needing to be completely scrapped and re-written, not to mention all the other changes.

It's not an insult to the devs that this hasn't been done yet, it is a simple fact of reality. This is still a work in progress. It probably won't finish until 1.9. Which is why the vast majority of the most aren't updated and stable on 1.8.9, and IMO, probably will never be.
Does this then mean that when they have worked out how to render it all properly, that it's likely to be much better? (I.e. lower end computers can handle the fancy)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Does this then mean that when they have worked out how to render it all properly, that it's likely to be much better? (I.e. lower end computers can handle the fancy)
Not really, it just means lower end systems are going to find it even more difficult, but higher end systems will find it much easier.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure the devs will be glad to hear your comments, it takes a monumental effort to port to 1.8.9.
The first iteration of 1.8 came out on September 2, 2014. You should remember that that was 506 days ago. You mean to tell me in 506 days, mod developers cant find the time to update their mods. They say to skip to 1.9, hell why not just skip to minecraft 2.0 when its released 4 years from now. My point is that you shouldn't lick mod developers' ass just because you think waiting for almost a year and a half is a viable option.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The first iteration of 1.8 came out on September 2, 2014. You should remember that that was 506 days ago. You mean to tell me in 506 days, mod developers cant find the time to update their mods. They say to skip to 1.9, hell why not just skip to minecraft 2.0 when its released 4 years from now. My point is that you shouldn't lick mod developers' ass just because you think waiting for almost a year and a half is a viable option.
It sounds like its really simple, I recommend you go re-write those mods for 1.8.9.

Don't tell charity developers how to spend their time for your benefit. If you don't like it, go sit on something and rotate. Its your problem, quit trying to make it mine.

I enjoy your misery.

@epidemia78 I owe you an apology.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like its really simple, I recommend you go re-write those mods for 1.8.9.

Don't tell charity developers how to spend their time for your benefit. If you don't like it, go sit on something and rotate. Its your problem, quit trying to make it mine.

I enjoy your misery.

@epidemia78 I owe you an apology.
I hear Lazy Susans are fairly cheap.

For the record, a lot changes between versions. 1.9 will add more, obviously. Time + rewriting parts + bugtesting.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
The amount of people who get easily butthurt is so high. This is the truth. WE HAVE WAITED 506 DAYS. Also, Minecraft has become over modded and many mod authors make a mod and then never bother to do anything with it. We can't wait on them. Look at a mod like thermal expansion or Railcraft. They got over a million downloads and believe me, they made thousands of dollars, and should try their hardest to update as soon as possible. And with the issue on porting. Most mods are very small, only megabytes and some even kilobytes in size. A rewrite is not a hard as you people complain it is because you expect to put it minimum amounts of work and get high yields.

And yes, I have made mods before. I work in circuit manufacturing and I have spent thousands of hours learning about computer coding. You think your Java is difficult, I beg you to study Boolean logic and assembly code.

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
506 days is a lie. Forge took months to come out in any sort of stable state, and FernFlower totally broke 1.8.4+ which slowed it updating to match vanilla substantially further. Then there's the issues of json files and the huge limitations that it posed right until 1.8.8/9 brought new hope from things that were added to Forge. Pretty much every mod declared they weren't going to 1.8 before those additions came, which is why some are going that previously weren't.

As a language Java may not be as difficult as assembly, but when you've got over 6 thousand compile errors, knowing that near total parts of your mod need re-writing (any rendering related and most networking needs stripping out and doing again for 1.7 -> 1.8, as well as other core parts like block states replacing metadata), it's not surprising people are reluctant, and it's slow when they do go. Threading issues can be like banging your head against a wall as much as trying to do assembly.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The amount of people who get easily butthurt is so high. This is the truth. WE HAVE WAITED 506 DAYS. Also, Minecraft has become over modded and many mod authors make a mod and then never bother to do anything with it. We can't wait on them. Look at a mod like thermal expansion or Railcraft. They got over a million downloads and believe me, they made thousands of dollars, and should try their hardest to update as soon as possible. And with the issue on porting. Most mods are very small, only megabytes and some even kilobytes in size. A rewrite is not a hard as you people complain it is because you expect to put it minimum amounts of work and get high yields.

And yes, I have made mods before. I work in circuit manufacturing and I have spent thousands of hours learning about computer coding. You think your Java is difficult, I beg you to study Boolean logic and assembly code.
Let's not get into a boring dick measuring contest over who does the more complicated development work here.

Who has waited 506 days? The taxpaying public? The starving masses? The patient investors?

No, just people who want more and more free stuff. If someone doesn't want to port their mod to 1.8 that's their prerogative and your problem. Learn to cope, and if you can't, go play something else; your opinion is neither productive nor desired.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
Let's not get into a boring dick measuring contest over who does the more complicated development work here.

Who has waited 506 days? The taxpaying public? The starving masses? The patient investors?

No, just people who want more and more free stuff. If someone doesn't want to port their mod to 1.8 that's their prerogative and your problem. Learn to cope, and if you can't, go play something else; your opinion is neither productive nor desired.
First of all, it isn't free content. Mod authors do make money from their mods and since most Java IDE are free, there really is no reason not to mod if you got free time.

Second of all, people didnt start waiting at day one. After the first 200 days, most people have seen all the new features and to be honest, there wasnt much change between 1.6.4 and 1.7.10 packs. RF is still the main power system.

You don't seem to understand the problem. At the current pace we are going, FTB wont make the shift from 1.7.10 to a new Minecraft version in atleast another year. Do you see many FTB Infinity servers doing well. I remember in the days of FTB Ultimate, there were over 30 professional grade servers with 50 + people. Now, FTB Infinity servers are dieing down as many servers cant deal with the immense lag caused by mods. People want change and new content or they simply quit the server and play another pack, and then in two weeks quit that pack and move on. This hurts 2 people. The server owners you really are the mvp since they provide a free environment for people to play in, and FTB in general since FTB does profit from their packs. Im talking about the general public, not just to you since you seem to be pretty important around here.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
First of all, it isn't free content. Mod authors do make money from their mods and since most Java IDE are free, there really is no reason not to mod if you got free time.
I don't know about you but I've never paid a cent for anything minecraft related since my original purchase of the game. That's free in my books.

You don't seem to understand the problem. At the current pace we are going, FTB wont make the shift from 1.7.10 to a new Minecraft version in atleast another year. Do you see many FTB Infinity servers doing well. I remember in the days of FTB Ultimate, there were over 30 professional grade servers with 50 + people. Now, FTB Infinity servers are dieing down as many servers cant deal with the immense lag caused by mods. People want change and new content or they simply quit the server and play another pack, and then in two weeks quit that pack and move on.
This isn't a problem. Servers aren't dying because of 1.7.10 or the lack of 1.8 any more than WoW is dying because of the lack of expansions. There's just an awful lot more saturation in the market and people are a) spreading out more (more modpacks/servers) and b) moving onto new (non-minecraft) things.

You've alluded to this, but: Content is driven by need. When there's a need, there will be content. I could care less if I play 1.7.10 for the next 5 years because it still works for me, and clearly it works for enough people that the need for an alternative isn't strongly driving development.

Similarly: When I personally develop content for free, I'm doing it for my enjoyment. I don't give a shit what it adds to the 1.7 or 1.8 or 1.9. I don't care if people use it. Its for me and I share it because I'm awesome like that and somebody out there might find enjoyment in it too.

Last edited:

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
FTB Infinity servers are dieing down as many servers cant deal with the immense lag caused by mods.
That's a generational problem, every new Minecraft version makes the game heavier to run, and both the number of mods and computational expense also increases. You go back to 1.2.5 and Tekkit it runs even faster than Ultimate.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
In the end I realized that both you Pyure and Chocohead are very intelligent people. Lets agree on something for once. Do any of you believe that one day in the future we will play on 1.9 modded, or even the far future 2.0 update, or doing you think the majority of FTB will stay in 1.7.10 essentially forever. And also, whats the ETA. I dont need a release date of some experimental FTB pack, I just want to know how many Quarters I have to wait( 1 year = 4 quarters)

If anyone is interested, Eloraam( The original Red Power developer, and made Forge possible), is making her own game. Time to mod the hell out of that

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
In the end I realized that both you Pyure and Chocohead are very intelligent people. Lets agree on something for once. Do any of you believe that one day in the future we will play on 1.9 modded, or even the far future 2.0 update, or doing you think the majority of FTB will stay in 1.7.10 essentially forever. And also, whats the ETA. I dont need a release date of some experimental FTB pack, I just want to know how many Quarters I have to wait( 1 year = 4 quarters)
People said we'd stick to Beta 1.7.3 when Beta 1.8 came out. And beta when release came out. And 1.2.5 when 1.3 came out (and technically most of the way until 1.4.6). And 1.4.7 when 1.5 came out. And 1.6.4 when 1.7.2 came out. And now 1.7.10 as 1.8.9 is out. There were always big annoying changes between most major Minecraft versions, but most of the time people just got over that and saw the benefits. Hence people are going to 1.8.9 now that you don't need to write a json file for everything under the sun. Some mods will move, others will stay. But in the end most big ones will either move or be cloned/replaced. EE2 and Redpower are prime examples of big mods that stuck behind but we kept on moving. I'd say half way through the year, enough mods should be stable enough for a nice, playable 1.8.9 pack. If 1.9 is out by then, Forge is highly unlikely to be until Mojang release 1.9 the end of this month.
If anyone is interested, Eloraam( The original Red Power developer, and made Forge possible), is making her own game. Time to mod the hell out of that
We'll mod it when it's released. When it's released is the sticking point to that.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I remember the transition from 1.4.7 to 1.5.2. Sadly because of redpower, xycraft, and EE2, a lot of people actually did stay with 1.4.7 until 1.6.4 pack came out, and 1.5.2 was skipped. That was ok since 1.6.4 packs started appearing about a year or so after the final versions of FTB Ultimate and Mindcrack. Now it seems that mojang is really slowing down the updating process, or just releasing a lot of content every year or so. It really does seem like 1.8.9 could be skipped, in favor is a 1.9 update that might come at the end of winter, or maybe next fall

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
1.5 was primarily skipped because people were waiting to see what Redpower was doing, and the actual version added very little past a few redstone things for all the work of unstiching texture sheets. 1.6 actually saw a fair amount of new things, and was released pretty quickly after 1.5 so it was the logical jump. 1.3 was skipped a similar way as 1.4 was released so quickly after it. Not to mention how Mojang have made Minecraft so huge and complicated now though that updating is a lot more work, hence we see more patches like 1.7.10 and 1.8.9 when the previous highest minor version was Beta 1.6.6.