• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In the end I realized that both you Pyure and Chocohead are very intelligent people. Lets agree on something for once. Do any of you believe that one day in the future we will play on 1.9 modded, or even the far future 2.0 update, or doing you think the majority of FTB will stay in 1.7.10 essentially forever. And also, whats the ETA. I dont need a release date of some experimental FTB pack, I just want to know how many Quarters I have to wait( 1 year = 4 quarters)
If enough people care, yes, we'll definitely see a 1.9 OR 1.8 scene. We'll probably mostly skip one or the other.

Some developers I've chatted with are extremely concerned about porting their code to 1.8 but are willing to do so for 1.9. Not because 1.9 is so much better, but because they're not committing themselves to refactoring for "every single version that comes out ever."
As far as ETAs are concerned: as a developer you already know the answer to this. Its going to be incremental and cyclical. Its already happening a lot with 1.8. And the more it happens, the (considerably) more pressure it puts on those developers who are sitting on the fence but not super-willing to commit. Once enough people move over to 1.8, others will cross the line so they're not left behind.

This is a nice and natural progression, so I don't try to rush it.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
They got over a million downloads and believe me, they made thousands of dollars, and should try their hardest to update as soon as possible. And with the issue on porting. Most mods are very small, only megabytes and some even kilobytes in size. A rewrite is not a hard as you people complain it is because you expect to put it minimum amounts of work and get high yields.

And yes, I have made mods before. I work in circuit manufacturing and I have spent thousands of hours learning about computer coding. You think your Java is difficult, I beg you to study Boolean logic and assembly code.

The difference here being you get paid for your work, while these devs are working on this in their free time and are only getting donations for their work, which surprisingly isn't as high as you think it is. I definitely don't have the free time to deal with everything they do, and I have more free time than quite a few of them.
First of all, it isn't free content. Mod authors do make money from their mods and since most Java IDE are free, there really is no reason not to mod if you got free time.

How about not wanting to deal with the entitled masses who complain when you don't update the day a new update comes out, or yells at you for having a single bug in your mod, or my personal favorite, yell at you for fixing bugs and exploits?
You don't seem to understand the problem. At the current pace we are going, FTB wont make the shift from 1.7.10 to a new Minecraft version in atleast another year. Do you see many FTB Infinity servers doing well. I remember in the days of FTB Ultimate, there were over 30 professional grade servers with 50 + people. Now, FTB Infinity servers are dieing down as many servers cant deal with the immense lag caused by mods. People want change and new content or they simply quit the server and play another pack, and then in two weeks quit that pack and move on. This hurts 2 people. The server owners you really are the mvp since they provide a free environment for people to play in, and FTB in general since FTB does profit from their packs. Im talking about the general public, not just to you since you seem to be pretty important around here.

Let's be real here, no one except the pack devs know the pace of the new packs. They could be out tomorrow, or in five years. Attempting to guess when they come out is going to result in some rather hilarious failures and extreme anger when the devs don't meet those estimates.
This isn't a problem. Servers aren't dying because of 1.7.10 or the lack of 1.8 any more than WoW is dying because of the lack of expansions. There's just an awful lot more saturation in the market and people are a) spreading out more (more modpacks/servers) and b) moving onto new (non-minecraft) things.

You've alluded to this, but: Content is driven by need. When there's a need, there will be content. I could care less if I play 1.7.10 for the next 5 years because it still works for me, and clearly it works for enough people that the need for an alternative isn't strongly driving development.

Similarly: When I personally develop content for free, I'm doing it for my enjoyment. I don't give a shit what it adds to the 1.7 or 1.8 or 1.9. I don't care if people use it. Its for me and I share it because I'm awesome like that and somebody out there might find enjoyment in it too.

@Pyure pretty much hits the nail right on the head here. This is exactly what's going on in this community and other game communities.
In the end I realized that both you Pyure and Chocohead are very intelligent people. Lets agree on something for once. Do any of you believe that one day in the future we will play on 1.9 modded, or even the far future 2.0 update, or doing you think the majority of FTB will stay in 1.7.10 essentially forever. And also, whats the ETA. I dont need a release date of some experimental FTB pack, I just want to know how many Quarters I have to wait( 1 year = 4 quarters)

If anyone is interested, Eloraam( The original Red Power developer, and made Forge possible), is making her own game. Time to mod the hell out of that

They will be released when they're released. Simple as that.

Also, Eloraam was one of three original Forge devs, and trust me, Forge would have gone just fine without her ever touching it. SpaceToad and FlowerChild knew what they were doing back then.
If enough people care, yes, we'll definitely see a 1.9 OR 1.8 scene. We'll probably mostly skip one or the other.

Some developers I've chatted with are extremely concerned about porting their code to 1.8 but are willing to do so for 1.9. Not because 1.9 is so much better, but because they're not committing themselves to refactoring for "every single version that comes out ever."
As far as ETAs are concerned: as a developer you already know the answer to this. Its going to be incremental and cyclical. Its already happening a lot with 1.8. And the more it happens, the (considerably) more pressure it puts on those developers who are sitting on the fence but not super-willing to commit. Once enough people move over to 1.8, others will cross the line so they're not left behind.

This is a nice and natural progression, so I don't try to rush it.

Can speak from experience, this is exactly what's happening right now.

Now that all of that is said, I'm stepping in as a moderator to tell everyone here to cool it before posting again. Things are getting borderline rule breaking.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft is ready for 1.8.9

Thats all I need. If any other mods want to come along for the ride fine. Any that don't? I'm sorry but I'll just find replacements that are available for 1.8.9

Well, if Immersive Engineering could hurry up its 1.8.9 port that would be good.

Reactions: erindalc and Pyure

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I hope @924Shrapnel donates to devs directly, otherwise I think everyone should just take what he says with a large grain of salt (wait? We kind of need less salt here don't we).

And no... sitting through an adfly link however annoying doesn't count even in the slightest. That's seedy advertisers doing the support.
None of your actual money is being levied.
I have not payed one red cent to a modder. Even though I sometimes feel that I should considering all the free entertainment I get from them.

Licking their arse would be the least I could do.

That said though, almost a year and a half wait...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
No one is going to deny that. With the fundamental changes to rendering, pretty much everything to do with making it look like anything is pretty much needing to be completely scrapped and re-written, not to mention all the other changes.

It's not an insult to the devs that this hasn't been done yet, it is a simple fact of reality. This is still a work in progress. It probably won't finish until 1.9. Which is why the vast majority of the most aren't updated and stable on 1.8.9, and IMO, probably will never be.

Anything not updated to 1.8.9 will still require most if not all the work to bring it to level plus more to fix what is possibly changing between 1.8.9 and 1.9.x.

Also, given the length of time it's taken to get 1.8.9 to a "moddable" state I'm guessing that some mods that stop at ver. 1.7.10 may be left in the dust as other mods replace them in 1.8.9 and may be forgotten by the time 1.9.x becomes usable to the modders.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thaumcraft is ready for 1.8.9

Thats all I need. If any other mods want to come along for the ride fine. Any that don't? I'm sorry but I'll just find replacements that are available for 1.8.9

Well, if Immersive Engineering could hurry up its 1.8.9 port that would be good.
This stance is an excellent driver of productivity. Its extremely realistic without being (overly) antagonistic.

There are mod authors who are definitely not keen on migrating but who are also conscious of getting left behind. Whether or not they migrate will happen naturally on a case-by-case basis. Some may get forgotten, and some will be constantly watched and hailed as the second coming of jesus even if they skip 1.8.9 entirely and migrate to 1.9.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
The first iteration of 1.8 came out on September 2, 2014. You should remember that that was 506 days ago. You mean to tell me in 506 days, mod developers cant find the time to update their mods. They say to skip to 1.9, hell why not just skip to minecraft 2.0 when its released 4 years from now. My point is that you shouldn't lick mod developers' ass just because you think waiting for almost a year and a half is a viable option.

You're so kind to the people who make the stuff you enjoy available to you absolutely free of charge and often with open source code on top of giving you free support for any bugs you find.

First of all, we had to wait until Summer 2015 on a massive set of changes in Forge relevant to the model system to be finished and for Forge's decompiler to be entirely rewritten to support the additional obfuscation data added (for our benefit!) in 1.8.3+. Once you count that, you get a much more reasonable 150 days. So in 150 days, after a version which rewrote pretty much the entirety of block handling, block/item rendering, and changed countless other areas of the engine, with most modders working for little to no pay entirely in their spare time, you expect them to deliver working, complete, bugfixed versions of their mods for a new engine?

Also, you're implying thousands of players are licking multiple asses right now, including mine. That's just gross. I don't want a thousand people licking my ass, seriously.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Methinks someone mistakes the FTB forums for the MC forums. As many have said, mod devs do not get paid, they sometimes (i.e. Almost never) get donations, and adfly revenue is an absolute joke.

If modders decide to not update to 1.8 it's up to them, and the berating by a very vocal, yet minority group has and will put them off from developing at all.

Chill and wait like the rest of us, or go pre-order some AAA game and DLC. Then bitch at them when it's bugge as hell and never delivered.

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree 500 something days stuck on older versions is a bit cray. As I said licking the modders buts is the least we can do for the free service. Call us sychophants but you cannot deny all the free work modders do. And ad revenue only pays for hosting. At best its extra pocket money maybe one extra coffee a week.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I like how people are complaining about a free product and expecting more results now. If you want results now why dont you donate a couple thousand dollars to each of the devs to pay for their time and im sure you'll get results now, if you dont feel like doing that then shut up and play 1.7.2!

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I like how people are complaining about a free product and expecting more results now. If you want results now why dont you donate a couple thousand dollars to each of the devs to pay for their time and im sure you'll get results now, if you dont feel like doing that then shut up and play 1.7.2!

Makes me wonder how much out of pocket you'd be if you did this. For just the big well known guys.
So your thaumcraft, thermals, BC suite and BM and bot. That's not even all of the popular mods. For say DW20 you'd be out by > 10 grand already.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Makes me wonder how much out of pocket you'd be if you did this. For just the big well known guys.
So your thaumcraft, thermals, BC suite and BM and bot. That's not even all of the popular mods. For say DW20 you'd be out by > 10 grand already.

it would be very expensive for sure but thats the point,the time the developers put into FTB would net them a lot of money if it was for a job. Dont get me wrong i want to play on 1.8 but i realize im not paying 1 penny for their services so i dont have the right to complain they arnt working fast enough. In my opinion most of the devs that work on mods for MC do a very good job and do it on a timely manner especially not being paid for it.It could be worse they could be on Soaryn timeframe haha

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, 1.8.9 is actually already quite playable in a single player capacity. I wouldn't try to run a public persistent server though.
But it's playable, no waiting needed.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, 1.8.9 is actually already quite playable in a single player capacity. I wouldn't try to run a public persistent server though.
But it's playable, no waiting needed.

Technically yes it is playable but you might as well play vanilla with the amount of mods available. Ill just wait until its more developed, i have no issues with that.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough, but in unstable at least we have TC, BM, some ported version of Botania, BC and tinkers. So the may as well play vanilla comment is a bit unwarranted, there is a lot of non vanilla content there.
Although I guess the tech side if things is a bit sparce. Unstable has Hydrolicraft and Pneumaticraft but they are in hideously unfinished states. Missing textures and mechanics galore.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see what the hurry is. The changes in vanilla minecraft don't do not even come close to comparing to the mods we have out on 1.7. I would much rather play infinity and have everything than playing the hot new version of minecraft with a few unstable mods. Sometimes I wish mojong would quit releasing updates so mods could develop more, but that will not happen until they aren't getting enough revenue generated from each update, which could signify a significantly smaller player base.

I do not know anything about coding, but ftb lib/utilities seem like they would be absolute hell to update to 1.8/9, seeing as they kind of replace bukkit.

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see what the hurry is. The changes in vanilla minecraft don't do not even come close to comparing to the mods we have out on 1.7. I would much rather play infinity and have everything than playing the hot new version of minecraft with a few unstable mods. Sometimes I wish mojong would quit releasing updates so mods could develop more, but that will not happen until they aren't getting enough revenue generated from each update, which could signify a significantly smaller player base.

I do not know anything about coding, but ftb lib/utilities seem like they would be absolute hell to update to 1.8/9, seeing as they kind of replace bukkit.

Some people want the shiny new thing all the time. Others want the world. Most end up disappointed in what they have because they refused to wait long enough for what was once shiny to really shine.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
A long pause in version changes is a good thing the last long version was 1.2.5 and that was a great time to be playing modded minecraft. The length of time that 1.7.10 has been the default version has allowed many mods to actually mature and not just have a version update and some new features stuck in. The mods now (in 1.7.10) are the most stable and feature rich I have seen since 1.2.5 you can tell that many of them are "finished" for this version and the devs have moved on to porting to 1.8+ and in more than a few cases working on ideas they may not have had time to implement in the rapid version change mod scene we have had for the last few years.