• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Didnt want to start a new thread on this so ill just use this one. What do you guys think about TeamCOFH tweeting out there wont be COFH related stuff for 1.8.9? This is a major mod,do you think this will cause an acceleration of 1.9? Just looking to see how the modded community feels about it.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Hard to say to be honest. When we shifted over to 1.7, mods that didn't keep up with the others were replaced by different ones. Once upon a time, IC2 and Buildcraft were considered essential mods. It was unthinkable to not have them! Then TE came out in 1.4, slowly started replacing them in 1.5, and by time 1.6 rolled around most people were using TE instead of IC2 and Buildcraft, only using Buildcraft for the quarry and pump. 1.7, Ender IO took TE's place for a while until the COFH team got caught up. If they had been a little later, who knows? Maybe Ender IO would be the more used mod?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Didnt want to start a new thread on this so ill just use this one. What do you guys think about TeamCOFH tweeting out there wont be COFH related stuff for 1.8.9? This is a major mod,do you think this will cause an acceleration of 1.9? Just looking to see how the modded community feels about it.
I don't think anything needs to cause an acceleration of 1.9... it's already a work in progress. Mind you, the 1.8 mods will likely have a step ahead of the game in releasing first, but 1.8 is merely a speedbump to 1.9 at this point.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I hope COFH team was at least working on 1.8.9. Because TE and it's mods weren't the only mods using RF.
Kind of shows you how tethered tech mods are to RF.
Most of all the centerpiece magic mods are either ported or actually being developed in 1.8.9.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have no problem with COFH or any other mod developers skipping 1.8. As a player, there is a chance I'll skip 1.8 as well. It's not that I'm holding off because any particular mod isn't present, but more that I don't see enough gameplay change between Vanilla versions to entice me to move. Then on top of that 1.9 is so close on its heels that I'll just be finding a stable pack and starting a world by the time Forge is ready for development to move on by the time I get there. If I feel this way about playing, I fully understand any Dev deciding to go straight to 1.9.

Again, this is good for the scene as a whole as well, as the window of time people play without the go-to mods of old will allow new ideas a chance to shine. If you need an example, look at EnderIO. In 1.6, EnderIO was a neat mod with a cool idea and some powerful pieces, but few realized that because BC and IC were still around from old and TE was coming into King Shit status (opinion, but bear with me). When TE had no ducts (no Thermal Dynamics) in early 1.7, people had to scramble to find solutions without what they were used to, which allowed a newly renovated and fully fleshed out EnderIO to storm onto the scene. Now some people shudder to think of packs without it, just the same as people because attached to IC, BC, and TE before it.

Change is good. Life goes on. Just keep digging.

Reactions: RenzosNips

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I think that buildcraft might make its reappearance in 1.8.9 and 1.9. Sad to say this, but the buildcraft team seems more active, compared to COFH. I heard on their website that Buildcraft is on the way to 1.8.9, and have already released a beta http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/ Thermal Expansion might be replaced, just like IC2 and BC. Another thing we should be preparing for is the death of over half of the 1.7.10 mods. Main reason for this is that many mod authors simply made a mod for the hell of it, and choose to not take the time and effort to update. This is fine, mainly because modpacks wont be so bloated with trash mods. Hell, maybe more people will use factorization.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
Modded Minecraft is on a decline. We need to either create something new, or reinitiate a renaissance, and go back to the way things worked in 1.4.7. Our dependence on Thermal Expansion shows us how much we are dependent on other people's mods. Without their RF api, we may as well kiss the majority of tech mods goodbye. Thankfully, mods like pheumaticraft, factorization, and buildcraft are striving to create 1.8.9 mods. Hopefully, they will be released around summer time, and 1.8.9 packs can be created. Waiting for 1.9 is simply not an option. First, we'd have to wait months until a stable version comes out, and then another six months to get a good number of mods to update. This means that a next version change will occur next January, and 1.7.10 packs would be around for almost 2 and a half years. Its GG, I hope FTB can survive.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
There is a fork of the RF api that Advanced generators and some other 1.8.9 mods use.
I really want to see Immersive Engineering get to a playable alpha. I'd like to see it become the centerpiece tech mod. Because it has a neat esthetic and some interesting mechanics for power distribution.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know, but I would really like some big tech mod like the old gregtech from 1.4.7 but not to grindy like 1.7.10 gregtech. I enjoyed Thermal Expansion, but it was only fun in the early game, and then in the late game, I had to use addons to find enjoyment. You're right though, immersive engineering has the chance to become something. Im hoping that they create their own power standard

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It actually does, it's a sort of psuedo RF though. At least that's what it looks like from dires server play.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe a unique one that would need transformers. Right now IE has transformers but they are useless other then decoration. It seems like IE was heavily influenced by IC2, maybe they can implement the way power worked back in 1.4.7 and 1.5.2

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It actually does, it's a sort of psuedo RF though. At least that's what it looks like from dires server play.

I believe that's called IF, and there are EU and RF conversion blocks according to DW20/Soaryn's Expert mode series.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
BuildCraft? I'm pondering on some exciting things in my head which should fix some of the biggest issues with it, while AlexIIL is working on things which will add more much-needed content and improvements to some non-fleshed-out areas of the mod. Also, it's been active for pretty much all its existence - sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes only on GitHub, sometimes everywhere.

PS. 1.9 porting seems to be very easy from 1.8.9, so I think it will be a far shorter wait. Some mods even have builds already, despite 1.9 Forge only being available via compiling it by oneself.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
PS. 1.9 porting seems to be very easy from 1.8.9, so I think it will be a far shorter wait. Some mods even have builds already, despite 1.9 Forge only being available via compiling it by oneself.

Even though this spells doom for 1.8 as a modding playground, it makes me happier that you know to hear that Forge itself is in a state that close to functional. I understand fullwell that Forge is not actually in a functional state, but this news is even more reason to maintain my wait and see attitude on leaving 1.7. Now instead of wait and see when 1.8 becomes stable, it's more of wait and see if anyone bothers to stick around 1.8 long enough to make a decent pack at all.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
BuildCraft? I'm pondering on some exciting things in my head which should fix some of the biggest issues with it, while AlexIIL is working on things which will add more much-needed content and improvements to some non-fleshed-out areas of the mod. Also, it's been active for pretty much all its existence - sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes only on GitHub, sometimes everywhere.

Considering the number of mods posted on the ftb subreddit today that have been ported to 1.9, I think the wait will be much shorter than previous thought.