[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I read about these huge farms and stuff and I feel like kinda noob..I progress pretty fast, as I got from zero to hv era in about a rl week without any help, but these numbers and huge structures..err.
I kinda have 4 coke ovens, they served me well and I forgot about them, lol.

Here's a post I just don't understand... He got to HV era on 4 coke ovens? In one week? uh... yeah, okay, sure. :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Here's a post I just don't understand... He got to HV era on 4 coke ovens? In one week? uh... yeah, okay, sure. :)
Its a bit easier if you're hoarding your power. You said you're trying to process all your aluminium and running your EBFs even when you're "offline". That'll slow things down a bit.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
So what happened to the OpenBlocks glider? I saw "Glider Wing", and saw that I need two of them to make one Glider... but when I made 2 wings, there's no recipe that uses the wings in NEI. Is the glider banned?

Yeah 'Fraid so. I turned mine back on :oops:

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019

A single coke over running continuously will produce 15M EU per day from charcoal*, which is reasonably respectable. For the whole week he would have obtained a respectable 400M EU.

400M EU is enough for 1,600 EBF operations (@MV). More than enough to make all the aluminium/stainless needed to get to HV. The energy needed for all the other machines though...

*Using HP Coal boilers running to LV turbines, assuming no EU losses.

Reactions: asb3pe and Pyure

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a downside to the blue alloy cable? Seems pretty nice and pretty cheap which I'm not really used to in this pack. :) Up to HV tier with only 1 EU/meter/amp loss?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There's such a thing? There should be blue steel cable, but that's fairly annoying to make, and not to be confused with blue alloy ingots (which shouldn't make GT cables at all)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It is Blue Power and it can make GT cables that are the HV equivalent of the LV's tin cable. Same loss per meter per amp. Blue Alloy Ingot recipe is just 4 Teslatite dusts plus one Silver in an LV Alloy Smelter. Don't see any possible downside, it's just cable. I was using Silver Cable for my small HV circuit in my base, which appears to be identical to the Blue Alloy stuff. Since you get 2 wires from one silver ingot using either Cable recipe (Blue Alloy or straight Silver), it wouldn't appear to be game-changing. The Blue Alloy actually costs more, altho if you've been mining it diligently along with all the other ores, I'm sure we'll all have way more Teslatite than we can possibly use, so the extra cost is probably trivial.

tl;dr: You can just use Silver cable for HV unless you really feel like using up your Teslatite dusts.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
I've got 48 coke ovens and I could easily build more as I never have enough charcoal surplus to be happy. 99% of my charcoal turns into alumentum though which is then burned across dozens of alchemical furnaces for automated alchemy (alumentum production itself, nether quartz and certus quarts doubling, metal doubling, steel production, clay transmutation, etc, and also crystalizing essentia). I also burn a little alumentum when my steam tank is running low in the unlikely event that demand is higher than the 2 36LP RC boilers can pump out off of creosote.

The only real issue with Thaumcraft creation of charcoal is finding a reliable source of ignis that doesn't involve burning off charcoal to get it. You can use gunpowder from a mob farm, if you've got one. You can make a snow golem farm and then centrifuge the snow. Any other source of ignis is just not as renewable and reliable as it is when you get it from charcoal directly.

The only thing my steam production is really providing direct power to anymore is a bank of LV centrifuges, ore washers, thermal centrifuges, and packagers. Everything else in my base runs off magical energy or diesel (soon to be biogas now that I built a distillation tower last night).

As I move towards and through EV though biogas won't even be a great option anymore as it requires 4 or more HV turbines to keep a EV battery buffer or MFSU happy full time. At that point I need to build out infrastructure to supply my tungstensteel boiler with 24/7 alumentum access and build a GT steam turbine.

Although, maybe I could just build a GT gas turbine instead and run it off biofuel with an EV or even IV dynamo?

I really wish I understood IC2 reactors better. I did manage to get a 0 chamber reactor working properly in SSP without making a crater. But that's like 32EU/t, if that. I built a MOX reactor in SSP also but the HU % just kept going up and up and it never stabilized to a point where I thought it wasn't going to explode. I guess I just really don't get the nuclear stuff yet. It's something I've never messed with and frankly it scares me a bit. Obviously it's possible to contain any mistakes, but it's just not something I really want to experiment with in my base as it's an unknown quantity. I suppose I'll need to mess with it eventually though because I need to get to a point where I can sustain an AE2 network with autocrafting realistically before I can move on to Fusion. I guess I could also look at Naquadah, but that's really a PITA unless, and even if, you go with bees.

I guess if you're comfortable with nukes and mox and liquid reactors and the like it's much easier to transition off of steam and charcoal early in the progression, even as early as the MV stage. I mean even taking a few dozen RTG (sp?) reactors and pointing them at MV battery buffer or MFE is viable at that stage if you've found the right ore veins. If you're unfamiliar with reactors and just plain scared by a higher likelihood of explosions than GT machines in rain, then steam is a thing.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
A single coke over running continuously will produce 15M EU per day from charcoal*, which is reasonably respectable. For the whole week he would have obtained a respectable 400M EU.

400M EU is enough for 1,600 EBF operations (@MV). More than enough to make all the aluminium/stainless needed to get to HV. The energy needed for all the other machines though...

*Using HP Coal boilers running to LV turbines, assuming no EU losses.

Now that I have 18 coke ovens running, I think I might end the day with surplus charcoal in the Jabba Barrel. However I started 4 hours ago with 128 stacks of charcoal and now I have 83 stacks... so you can see it's slowly depleting, but not as quickly as it did yesterday when I only had 12 coke ovens running.

Given your numbers, I guess I'm using up a pretty substantial amount of EU with all the charcoal I'm going thru! I don't micromanage my energy usage in terms of numbers, but I do enjoy seeing what they are. So I'm using somewhere around 15M*18 = 270M EU every day in my little base with my LV machines and single 128v EBF? Wowee.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The only real issue with Thaumcraft creation of charcoal is finding a reliable source of ignis that doesn't involve burning off charcoal to get it. You can use gunpowder from a mob farm, if you've got one. You can make a snow golem farm and then centrifuge the snow. Any other source of ignis is just not as renewable and reliable as it is when you get it from charcoal directly.
Needs to be renewable? Chili peppers.

I really wish I understood IC2 reactors better. I did manage to get a 0 chamber reactor working properly in SSP without making a crater. But that's like 32EU/t, if that. I built a MOX reactor in SSP also but the HU % just kept going up and up and it never stabilized to a point where I thought it wasn't going to explode. I guess I just really don't get the nuclear stuff yet. It's something I've never messed with and frankly it scares me a bit. Obviously it's possible to contain any mistakes, but it's just not something I really want to experiment with in my base as it's an unknown quantity. I suppose I'll need to mess with it eventually though because I need to get to a point where I can sustain an AE2 network with autocrafting realistically before I can move on to Fusion. I guess I could also look at Naquadah, but that's really a PITA unless, and even if, you go with bees.
Nobody bothers to design their own reactors anymore. A good place to get designs from is the IC2 forum.

This thread is pretty recent, and blackpalt is a ninja at vetting and designing reactors.

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=194193#post194193

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Needs to be renewable? Chili peppers.
Hot damn. I guess I need to assign a few more golems and add another construct :p Making vacuous is no issue since I have virtually unlimited logs.

Speaking of golems, I got rid of all of my gather golems and replaced them with vacuum chests. I couldn't be happier with the change (now that I can afford vacuum chests). The dang gather golems were always getting stuck or lost. I don't know how, but sometimes I'd find one from my tree farm down in the sub-basement levels of my factory. No clue how they got down there even unless they glitched through a piece of glowstone when a tree grew.

Nobody bothers to design their own reactors anymore. A good place to get designs from is the IC2 forum.

This thread is pretty recent, and blackpalt is a ninja at vetting and designing reactors.

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=194193#post194193

I've looked through that thread, but I find it overwhelming a bit. I can just wrote copy things I guess, but I feel like i should at least understand some of what's going on when I do something. I don't really just want a black box that does X. I want a box that I understand why it does X.

Reactions: sprAngles

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've looked through that thread, but I find it overwhelming a bit. I can just wrote copy things I guess, but I feel like i should at least understand some of what's going on when I do something. I don't really just want a black box that does X. I want a box that I understand why it does X.
You and me both, but after a while I decided there was no way I was gonna be able to out-design the people who are already pros at it, so why bother trying to, or building a horrendously inferior product.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
My advice is to start with the easy mark 1 design behind a safe layer of reinforced stone/glass and you should be fine. Once you get more comfortable you can move towards more advanced designs. (be carefull thought, the protection might not always work on the diagonal, learned this the hard way :p)

The first time around you try 5x5x5 i would recomend using stirling engines. If you wanna play with superheated steam i would recommend you install a safety system with nuclear controle (so it turns off if it goes over a certain temperature). If you screw up the superheated steam a little bit your reactor goes with it as the cooling dissapears as soon as your superheated steam setup stops working :p

If you start with nuclear feel free to ask me if you have questions :)

Last edited:

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
Two questions for any who happen to know:

1. Is it possible to craft the naquadah fuel for SG Craft in this modpack? I ask, because I found that the naquadah dust that I was EBFing into ingots won't fuel the stargate. In the NEI, there is an SG Craft-specific naquadah that looks like a misshapen lump, but no recipe for it. As a result, I've crafted the EU power machine to power it, but I'd love to use the naquadah I get from my bees if possible.

2. Where do I find the tantalite (sp?) ore? I need to make superconducting wire, which requires niobium--something that has an ore that does not appear in the worldgen.cfg. Neither does tantalite, but I can get niobium from the tantalite, it seems. I'm trying to make a start with fusion...

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
2. Where do I find the tantalite (sp?) ore? I need to make superconducting wire, which requires niobium--something that has an ore that does not appear in the worldgen.cfg. Neither does tantalite, but I can get niobium from the tantalite, it seems. I'm trying to make a start with fusion...
Tantalite ore is found in maganese veins found between y20 and y30:
Manganese Grossular Spessartine Pyrolusite Tantalite 20 30 20 3 16 Yes No Yes

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't gt cable connecting to the back of this ic2 electric kinetic generator? I thought GT5 just made that work magically whereas the other direction needed a transformer?

Update: never could get it to connect but what did work to get the handle for the mining laser was to just stick an LV battery into it.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't gt cable connecting to the back of this ic2 electric kinetic generator? I thought GT5 just made that work magically whereas the other direction needed a transformer?

Update: never could get it to connect but what did work to get the handle for the mining laser was to just stick an LV battery into it.

I already had a CESU for charging my Electric Treetap so I pointed that at the Electric Kinetic Generator. But good thinking on the battery idea. More than one way to play this game. :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel is a pretty awesome mod. It has turned the CreoStak 36 into the Shovel Tower. The downside is that sandy blocks are relatively expensive to use for an entire base. Considering how much sand and clay I dug to build this it really is the shovel tower, lol. The two damascus steel shovel heads I looted from an abandoned mineshaft were a godsend.

MIvoYlA.jpg

Well, its finally done. My very own CreoStak 36. Copied it almost block-for-block - I'm really not known for my originality. haha Function over form, but this truly looks impressive as a notable landmark in addition to powering the GT Large Charcoal Monster. Nom nom nom nom nom.

Thanks for the suggestion and the screenshot. One good overnight and the charcoal barrels should be well-stocked indeed. :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I already had a CESU for charging my Electric Treetap so I pointed that at the Electric Kinetic Generator.

I just throw my tools into GT battery buffers when they need charging. :p Is pretty cool that it uses them as batteries while they're in there too.