News update 12-02-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
I'll quote what I said to Captainnana:
Also, my point wasn't that you're necessarily copying Technic, but that it's interesting that you choose to announce that you're working on your own version 2.0, right after Technic announces their own version 2.0 launcher. Especially when there's nothing wrong with you current launcher that you seem to be improving. It seems more like your just trying to stay ahead of the competition. As a friend of mine said, it's like the reason the Xbox 360 was called the Xbox 360 instead of an Xbox 2. If they had called it an Xbox 2, then a casual obsever might think they were inferior to the PS3. You don't want casual observers to think that Technic is better than you.
http://i.imgur.com/UoBTJHw.jpg

Think about it. Technic releases a beta build of their brand new launcher. A few days later, FTB announces that they've started work on a new launcher. Excuse me if I'm jumping to conclusions, but doesn't that seem a little suspicious?

Reactions: Mooseman9

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
So?
What's it matter and what do we need to be suspicious of? (A dimly lit room in back of a warehouse. Huddled shapes of ne'erdowells ringing their hands and looking over their shoulders. Two hulking shapes outside the door guarding against those who have designs of stealing tidbits of information or ideas). haha, anyway. If...if it was done in anyway to be competitive, that's ok too. Competition usually means a better product for the end users.
That's just my take. Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy what we're getting.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
The text on that website looks rather blurry. :p

Also, has anyone in the FTB team heard anything from Eloraam? I haven't been paying too much attention, honestly, but from what I've seen and heard that she hasn't been heard from for around two months.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Last
The text on that website looks rather blurry. :p

Also, has anyone in the FTB team heard anything from Eloraam? I haven't been paying too much attention, honestly, but from what I've seen and heard that she hasn't been heard from for around two months.

Last I heard, life crept up on her and she was busy living it.

Reactions: glepet1962

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
can we get a bug fixed? when you break oilsands, it messes with the item ID and becomes unusable in the industrial centrifuge in the mindcrack pack. Thanks

like2omg

Jul 29, 2019
If you are going to use a picture similar to the one you have in the mock-up now, I'd suggest using optifine to add mip-mapping and anti-aliasing, so it looks better. Alternatively, you could port the world into some sort of 3D modelling tool to make it much better looking.
I definitely agree at the OptiFine part... I cannot stress enough how my system cannot compete during the in-game rain without it!

Also, I applaud you, the staff working on FTB, keeping yet another good collection of modpacks together with an effective launcher.

Confidential1207

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely agree at the OptiFine part... I cannot stress enough how my system cannot compete during the in-game rain without it!

Also, I applaud you, the staff working on FTB, keeping yet another good collection of modpacks together with an effective launcher.
They don't have permissions from Optifine author. They asked him/her and was denied or not replied back too.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Since when was v2.0 a "technic" thing im pretty sure v2.0 means version 2.0, and trust me that wasn't technic idea also

:facepalm: An update every time a mod gets updated, do you know how much that would cost and how much it would mess with worlds. Everytime they update the pack The bandwidth usage goes through the roof, think of it this way "100,000,000 people downloading a pack everyday" having to re-download every time you start the launcher, whats the point for 1 bug fix or 1 new block.
This might seem radical to you but what if only the mod that updated gets redownloaded? Wow, what a radical thought. Yes, it requires that the downloading would work differently than currently but the current method is pretty poor, too, because the config files get replaced every time and ALL your mods get removed before the updated ones are added. Yes, even the ones you added yourself. And only the configs get backed up so you have to manually backup the mods or redownload them.

Sirbab

Jul 29, 2019
Server owners would flip **** if they had to stay on top of EVERY SINGLE MOD, because potentially, one updates, breaks their bukkitforge etc, breaks balance, has a bug, screws with worldgen. Trust me, it's much better to stagger them like this. You don't like it? Go make your own private pack via the launcher, that way it can stay 100% up to date.

Reactions: arkangyl

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Server owners would flip **** if they had to stay on top of EVERY SINGLE MOD, because potentially, one updates, breaks their bukkitforge etc, breaks balance, has a bug, screws with worldgen. Trust me, it's much better to stagger them like this. You don't like it? Go make your own private pack via the launcher, that way it can stay 100% up to date.
Woah woah woah there, man. Updates happen because they FIX things, not break them. The Forgecraft server is the testing ground for mods before the content gets actually added in an update so all the glaring problems are already ironed out. And servers have to stay on top of every single mod? Wasn't the point of a unified launcher to make servers have easier time, too?

I would make my own pack IF IT WAS FLIPPING POSSIBLE. But no, a single person can't make his own pack for SSP. It's for servers and isn't actually even working yet from what I have seen. I actually did download and install most of the mods in Beta A when it wasn't updated to 1.4.6 yet just to test things out.

But I get it, would be more work for server owners. But it should be made easier to update servers. I'm just saying. Only a suggestion, I'm not requesting anything. I'm not the king of the world but you seem to be.

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
I'll quote what I said to Captainnana:

Think about it. Technic releases a beta build of their brand new launcher. A few days later, FTB announces that they've started work on a new launcher. Excuse me if I'm jumping to conclusions, but doesn't that seem a little suspicious?
I'm gonna quote you:
Can I just add that you guys realize that you're arguing about a game that's basically virtual legos. Why can't we all just have fun and play with our virtual legos?

Reactions: arkangyl

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
:facepalm: An update every time a mod gets updated, do you know how much that would cost and how much it would mess with worlds. Everytime they update the pack The bandwidth usage goes through the roof, think of it this way "100,000,000 people downloading a pack everyday" having to re-download every time you start the launcher, whats the point for 1 bug fix or 1 new block.

Just because the launcher is programmed to redownload the entire pack everytime an update comes along, I get a facepalm? I think you better point your face in another direction.

So many mods have way under 1mb, easily worth one bug fix.

You don't like it? Go make your own private pack via the launcher, that way it can stay 100% up to date.

Why is everyone reacting this way when someone makes a suggestion a writes a little critique, I always thought the MC community is friendly. :(

Sirbab

Jul 29, 2019
People, please. Flame wars between two things that are supposed to instill fun in the users, is plain silly. Why not just drop it, cus nothing good is gonna come from it. and Zelfana, i'm sorry if my tone sounded like that, i'm speaking as a previous server owner, and i would not want this option on. If it could be implemented well, excellent, but most likely, it would be a full time job for the volunteers, and that is silly to ask for, from them.

Reactions: captainnana
Status
Not open for further replies.