[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
These issues you're encountering are total non-problems for me. This isn't because I'm super awesome or anything, its just that I'm happy to build and/or automate some of the things you're not happy with.
Well, had I known in advance, I would've made my peace with the coke ovens earlier - if that's what you'referring to. If I can actually automate it, I'm happy. The thing is, these newest changes push even the most primitive sort of automation back, and that adds significantly to the early game's already considerable tediousness. It also, and that's even worse, considerably slows down smelting in general, which you need to do almost all the time, because the most common fuel resource of the early game has become scarce - not because of the lack of raw materials, but for the time it takes to create it.

As for making torches from charcoal, yes I did that in v2, because charcoal was abundant and I had no reason to look for alternatives. Since I didn't go mining yet and didn't need new steel in my new world until yesterday, and lighted my base with arcane lamps, I had no reason to suspect anything was different with the charcoal.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, had I known in advance, I would've made my peace with the coke ovens earlier - if that's what you'referring to. If I can actually automate it, I'm happy. The thing is, these newest changes push even the most primitive sort of automation back, and that adds significantly to the early game's already considerable tediousness. It also, and that's even worse, considerably slows down smelting in general, which you need to do almost all the time, because the most common fuel resource of the early game has become scarce - not because of the lack of raw materials, but for the time it takes to create it.
I could be wrong but I think Jason's un-doing the redstone engine changes? Even I was a bit surprised at that one, particular since BC pipes don't get a lot of love as it is.

Speaking of smelting, do you not have an unlimited quantity of wood atm? That's fuel if you are hard up for charcoal while you transition your tech.

Also: I'm not positive but we may still be able to create charcoal in the eIO smelter. With capacitors that thing was absolutely nuts.

I know you'll hate this, but Greg really intended for people to mine coal as fuel. Nobody really does it, but its a legitimate design strategy.

Personally, my early-game fuel strategy was twofold:
1) Convert my small charcoal supplies into alumentum
2) Do all my furnacing in a vanilla furnace with TC Bellows, since they work faster than an iron furnace AND cook more efficiently.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Filled bottles don't stack either iirc

Ah right, they have stacked to 16 in other packs, but that's no guarantee here.

On another note, I'm no big fan of Thaumcraft - don't know why - everybody else seems to love it. Question is, is Thaumcraft essential to progress in this pack, do you think?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah right, they have stacked to 16 in other packs, but that's no guarantee here.

On another note, I'm no big fan of Thaumcraft - don't know why - everybody else seems to love it. Question is, is Thaumcraft essential to progress in this pack, do you think?
Good question.

I've tried the pack with and without -- in fact, until like two months ago i'd never touched Thaumcraft in any real way -- and my opinion is that TC is not at all essential but it gives you an unquestionably large advantage.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I could be wrong but I think Jason's un-doing the redstone engine changes? Even I was a bit surprised at that one, particular since BC pipes don't get a lot of love as it is.
I was glad to have them at that point - and I do like that the pack makes me use them, and see how primitive the basic ones are and appreciate the time when I got to EIO conduits, LOL. As for the redstone engine, either undoing the change or providing a non-macerator method of acquiring wood pulp would probably help.

Also: I'm not positive but we may still be able to create charcoal in the eIO smelter. With capacitors that thing was absolutely nuts.
I have seen no EIO alloy furnace recipes at all in v3. I'm not 100% sure, but believe they've all been converted into GT machine recipes.

I know you'll hate this, but Greg really intended for people to mine coal as fuel. Nobody really does it, but its a legitimate design strategy.
I occasionally do so in other packs, but since coal only gives one piece per block in GT until you're somewhat up the tech tree, that's not feasible.

Personally, my early-game fuel strategy was twofold:
1) Convert my small charcoal supplies into alumentum
2) Do all my furnacing in a vanilla furnace with TC Bellows, since they work faster than an iron furnace AND cook more efficiently.
Yeah, if I start anew, Thaumcraft will play a more prominent role much earlier in the game.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I occasionally do so in other packs, but since coal only gives one piece per block in GT until you're somewhat up the tech tree, that's not feasible.
This is my gripe too. It chafes badly to spend fuel cooking coal ore into a single coal.

Anyone know if hammering coal (in block form) gives you more than one coal dust? Dust is functionally identical to coal as fuel.

Oh, well, I just pointed out for myself: you can at least spend resources hammering the blocks into dust instead of cooking them into coal. Even 1:1, you might prefer to spend 1/100th of an iron or whatever it amounts to instead of fuel itself.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
eIO Smelter no longer exists. The machine to make charcoal is now Arc Furnace (requires tiny bit of oxygen)
Thaumcraft - not essential, but it will ease few aspects of the game.
Creosote - i think there are still some Cans, that are craftable in workbench with 3 tin ("maybe")
Redstone engine - no change there, it still requires wooden plates (steam macerator + compressor)

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Good question.

I've tried the pack with and without -- in fact, until like two months ago i'd never touched Thaumcraft in any real way -- and my opinion is that TC is not at all essential but it gives you an unquestionably large advantage.

Hmm, food for thought. I'll have to try and work out a list of TC things that are going to actually help me. In the past, I've sodded around with all the preliminaries (scanning, research, tapping nodes) only to find I could do the things I wanted easier elsewhere, for a lot less hassle.

I like the boots of the traveller though, the step-up *is* worth the effort!

eIO Smelter no longer exists. The machine to make charcoal is now Arc Furnace (requires tiny bit of oxygen)
Thaumcraft - not essential, but it will ease few aspects of the game.
Creosote - i think there are still some Cans, that are craftable in workbench with 3 tin ("maybe")
Redstone engine - no change there, it still requires wooden plates (steam macerator + compressor)

I love the 'maybe' - so tantalising whilst I'm here at work on my (late) lunch break!

Hey, Jason, thanks for all the hard work making the pack. Can't be said often enough.

Reactions: Pyure

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I really love the boots of the traveller, put a "haste III" enchant on it and "repair I" can dark boots beat that? i have to try it out.

Can't remember if you need the leggings as well, but with upgrades, triple-jumps are a dark boots thing. Add an open blocks glider and you've decent flight.

dnarik

Jul 29, 2019
How to work with soldering iron? What are the soldering materials I need in oreder to make this thing work and to repair the circuits? I tried some variations of Soldering Alloy, but none sucseeded, what do I need?

Winsomniak

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Jason. Great modpack, thanks for putting it together!

We are getting some serious unplayable lag with only 4-6 players online on the public server. According to the other players, this was not the case with the previous version.

Some of us are speculating that Blue Power or Fast Leaf Decay are causing tick errors (block lag etc). Is this something you can confirm or deny for us so that we might remove one of these from the server? Bluepower would be my guess, given their low version number and the laginess just opening their project table.

Thanks!

-Winsomniak