[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I have to ask. What is the deal with gregtech tools? I mean why is it like a major feat to break grass with my Blue Topaz shovel (tier III shovel mind you)? Try breaking leaves with your axe, I dare you!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok, I have to ask. What is the deal with gregtech tools? I mean why is it like a major feat to break grass with my Blue Topaz shovel (tier III shovel mind you)? Try breaking leaves with your axe, I dare you!
Yeah, GT tools only do the one thing they're supposed to do and that's it, very irritating :)

my own question: do imbued fires work in this pack? Did we disable them somehow? Trying to make ordo imbued fire do...anything. Nada. It burns for a few seconds and goes out.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
my own question: do imbued fires work in this pack? Did we disable them somehow? Trying to make ordo imbued fire do...anything. Nada. It burns for a few seconds and goes out.
Imbued fire works but GT breaks ordo, the way ordo works after all is it checks is it first gets what is dropped when you break the block, then it checks if it's it's possible to craft that in a 3x3, if you can't it checks if smelting gives something that can be crafted in a 3x3 pattern, if either of those succeed it has a chance equal to 1/3 times the amount of drops from the block to turn it into that resulting block and the inverse chance to destroy it.

So the key part is it checks the actual recipes, that means that as GT makes blocks of metals require the compressor and have no 3x3 recipe it won't work on any of them. If they were added back in it should gain the ability to work on basically any ore but otherwise no.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Imbued fire works but GT breaks ordo, the way ordo works after all is it checks is it first gets what is dropped when you break the block, then it checks if it's it's possible to craft that in a 3x3, if you can't it checks if smelting gives something that can be crafted in a 3x3 pattern, if either of those succeed it has a chance equal to 1/3 times the amount of drops from the block to turn it into that resulting block and the inverse chance to destroy it.

So the key part is it checks the actual recipes, that means that as GT makes blocks of metals require the compressor and have no 3x3 recipe it won't work on any of them. If they were added back in it should gain the ability to work on basically any ore but otherwise no.
Its funny because I took this into consideration and tested only vanilla ore blocks because of it. I figured that would workaround the issue (for testing), but no result.

However I did find that it worked fine as soon as I removed GT, so, yeah, there's my answer.

Sheepthief

Jul 29, 2019
What's my options for steady food source in early game? I'm finding that cooked meats are severely nerfed in this mod pack. It looks like Pam's Harvestcraft has high content food, but it's difficult to make.

Also, Pyure, you mentioned a core sampling method of finding veins. This sounds like a really good idea to me! I'm curious to know, when you did this core sampling, did you dig straight down (1x1 mineshaft)? What were the dimensions of your vertical mines?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
What's my options for steady food source in early game? I'm finding that cooked meats are severely nerfed in this mod pack. It looks like Pam's Harvestcraft has high content food, but it's difficult to make.

Also, Pyure, you mentioned a core sampling method of finding veins. This sounds like a really good idea to me! I'm curious to know, when you did this core sampling, did you dig straight down (1x1 mineshaft)? What were the dimensions of your vertical mines?
Not Pyure, but when I followed his suggestion of "core-sampling", I made 2x2 shafts down to level 14, in a 50-block grid. The probability of finding something interesting is high that way, so it's a good way to start out when you have nothing, but it's not so good for finding something specific. The greatest speed-up in prospecting, for me, wasn't so much the strategy but switching from GT pickaxes to a silverwood wand with a highly-upgraded excavation focus. Creating a recharge station big enough to recharge two wands is time-consuming and tedious, but worth it. You do need a bit of metal for it, too (about a stack of gold ingots and some iron for the basic Thaumcraft setup), so it's not an option very early in the game.

As for food, I've been living on carrots for some time. They don't last long, but a small farm will give you enough carrots for a sufficient steady supply.

Edit:
Why 2x2 shafts? It is actually possible to overlook some of the less dense veins if you make 1x1 or 1x2 shafts.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
A potato farm worked for me :)
You should dig 2x1 down to avoid lava.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Am I guessing right that I can get sawdust (for the wooden plates in the redstone engine recipe) by macerating wood?

PS. I nearly had a baby when I saw the first recipe for 'wooden plates' requiring 8 nether stars.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Am I guessing right that I can get sawdust (for the wooden plates in the redstone engine recipe) by macerating wood?
Not sure about macerating, but you can get it as a byproduct by cutting wood to planks with the cutting machine - you get four planks *and* 2 piles of sawdust. Quite probably that's more efficient than putting wood through a macerator.

PS. I nearly had a baby when I saw the first recipe for 'wooden plates' requiring 8 nether stars.
Yeah. Apparently that refers to a statement ascribed to SirSengir: "You know you're playing GregTech when wooden planks are made by eight nether stars around a dragon egg."

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about macerating, but you can get it as a byproduct by cutting wood to planks with the cutting machine - you get four planks *and* 2 piles of sawdust. Quite probably that's more efficient than putting wood through a macerator.

Yeah. Apparently that refers to a statement ascribed to SirSengir: "You know you're playing GregTech when wooden planks are made by eight nether stars around a dragon egg."

I was hoping for the macerator since I'm still in the bronze age!

Anyway, I now know I'm playing InfiTech when steel is required to craft a redstone engine. :)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I was hoping for the macerator since I'm still in the bronze age!

Anyway, I now know I'm playing InfiTech when steel is required to craft a redstone engine. :)
You were right, the macerator works and you don't need steel. Macerate wooden stuff for wood pulp then turn it to planks in a compressor and it should work just fine for you.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
You were right, the macerator works and you don't need steel. Macerate wooden stuff for wood pulp then turn it to planks in a compressor and it should work just fine for you.

Ah fantastic - thanks for that - NEI was confusing me.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Heh....and I know I'm playing Infitech when I can't smelt wood into charcoal. I can tell you, that was a punch in the gut.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Heh....and I know I'm playing Infitech when I can't smelt wood into charcoal. I can tell you, that was a punch in the gut.

Was it different in previous versions of infitech? Or is it a pure GT5u thing? In a GT4 pack I played last year, I seem to remember it wasn't an issue.

Anyway, in light of Xavion's post though, I should amend my line to be...

You know you're playing Infi-Tech when you need diamonds to get a redstone engine.

Damn well forgot about those for the macerator. I'm going to have to go Pyure-inspired core-sampling for a while.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Was it different in previous versions of infitech? Or is it a pure GT5u thing? In a GT4 pack I played last year, I seem to remember it wasn't an issue.
This is a GT config setting that was not activated in v2 of the pack - easy to change if you don't like it. My personal problem is that it makes torches into a scarce resource in the very early game, and that while you have a means to make charcoal very early - the coke oven - you have no way to get rid of the creosote oil until you can build redstone engines (at this point you'll have to void it in BC fluid void pipes, since actually using it requires a liquid-fueled firebox, which requires blaze powder, and going to the Nether requires steel).

Also, yeah, the diamond problem. Without the change in the Redstone engine recipe, you could go without diamonds for a while if absolutely necessary. Now you can't if you want even the most primitive kind of automation. Also - see above - getting rid of the creosote oil as long as you can't use it is critical for your charcoal production, and that needs a redstone engine since you can't put something in a void pipe by hand. Sometimes I think some of the latest changes combine into consequences not anticipated by the modpack author.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
This is a GT config setting that was not activated in v2 of the pack - easy to change if you don't like it. My personal problem is that it makes torches into a scarce resource in the very early game, and that while you have a means to make charcoal very early - the coke oven - you have no way to get rid of the creosote oil until you can build redstone engines (at this point you'll have to void it in BC fluid void pipes, since actually using it requires a liquid-fueled firebox, which requires blaze powder, and going to the Nether requires steel).

Also, yeah, the diamond problem. Without the change in the Redstone engine recipe, you could go without diamonds for a while if absolutely necessary. Now you can't if you want even the most primitive kind of automation. Also - see above - getting rid of the creosote oil as long as you can't use it is critical for your charcoal production, and that needs a redstone engine since you can't put something in a void pipe by hand. Sometimes I think some of the latest changes combine into consequences not anticipated by the modpack author.

Yes, I've been breaking up my two coke ovens every time they get full of creosote. I hate having to waste it in such an unforgiving pack, but no choice until, as you say, I can get some steel. I've found villages and dungeons, but no diamonds and no steel. I did get a nice pair of bootys though :)

The torch thing though - I really don't see that as a problem. I went out and chopped down about 5 rubber trees to get saplings. Plant them, then prune off all the leaves, get a few more saplings and rinse, repeat until you have about twenty stumps. Doesn't take long and I get around 64 resin per harvest meaning 256 torches in one go.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

As everyone else mentioned, 2x1. Also, I used to leave three chunks between every shaft, but I found I missed too many veins that way, so going forward I'll leave only two chunks between each shaft. So if I have 4 chunks in a row, chunks 1 and 4 would have shafts.

Also, yeah, the diamond problem. Without the change in the Redstone engine recipe, you could go without diamonds for a while if absolutely necessary. Now you can't if you want even the most primitive kind of automation. Also - see above - getting rid of the creosote oil as long as you can't use it is critical for your charcoal production, and that needs a redstone engine since you can't put something in a void pipe by hand.
You make your torches from charcoal in the mid-early game? :\ You can use sticky resin or creosote+wool as simple alternatives. I think the creosote even gives you 6 torches per.

Sometimes I think some of the latest changes combine into consequences not anticipated by the modpack author.
Possibly but to be fair, they're consequential to certain playstyles. And to mitigate those concerns would create consequences for other playstyles (specifically, the actual target crowd for this pack, e.g. me)

These issues you're encountering are total non-problems for me. This isn't because I'm super awesome or anything, its just that I'm happy to build and/or automate some of the things you're not happy with.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yes, I've been breaking up my two coke ovens every time they get full of creosote. I hate having to waste it in such an unforgiving pack, but no choice until, as you say, I can get some steel. I've found villages and dungeons, but no diamonds and no steel. I did get a nice pair of bootys though :)
Odd, that. I had the same experience with looting: lots of stuff that's interesting later but no steel and no diamonds. I have something worth more to me than diamonds, though: 16 ender lilies. I wonder how slow they are on water...

The torch thing though - I really don't see that as a problem. I went out and chopped down about 5 rubber trees to get saplings. Plant them, then prune off all the leaves, get a few more saplings and rinse, repeat until you have about twenty stumps. Doesn't take long and I get around 64 resin per harvest meaning 256 torches in one go.
It is a problem until you have found rubber trees. Admittedly, that's usually not for very long, but it's in the part of the game where you're most vulnerable. If I ever start anew, I'll probably start out on Peaceful.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
You make your torches from charcoal in the mid-early game? :\ You can use sticky resin or creosote+wool as simple alternatives. I think the creosote even gives you 6 torches per.

Doh! I've got bundles of wool and 'creosote+wool' is a new one for me. Will stop me feeling bad for wasting the creosote.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Doh! I've got bundles of wool and 'creosote+wool' is a new one for me. Will stop me feeling bad for wasting the creosote.
With the creosote you'll want to make a forestry workbench thingy. The creosote buckets don't stack and I don't think you can easily make any other creosote containers at this stage.