[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Actually no furnace can smelt wood to charcoal, your only options for it really are coke ovens or thaumcraft. Technically the arc furnace or something can do it as well but that's not really effective.
All right. I think this is the point where I give up on Infitech. I'm not plastering the landscape with the gazillion coke ovens I'd need for my alumentum production (actually, it's 14 but it feels like a million, just for the aesthetics), and I'm definitely not going to autocraft and distill chests just to get the vacuos I need for making charcoal with alchemy. Also, I did cheat most of my old stuff from my V2 base in (I'm still recreating stuff, that's why I didn't notice this before) but I can only imagine what this means for your steelmaking if you're starting out. It takes long enough as things are. Oh, and what about torches? Hmph.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Rubber resin gets you torches.
Yeah, and that's a great help /sarcasm. I started Infitech to play Gregtech, and I expected tech progression to be hard and that's what I wanted, but now I think Industrial Rotation may suit my preferences better.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
So....an Electric Furnace can't cook wood into charcoal like any other furnace can? Is that intentional? I've been at it for an hour getting the Electric Furnace to work which it didn't appear to do, before I thought to put some ore in instead of wood. It smelts the ore all right, but does nothing with wood.
A arc furnace can also smelt wood into charcoal

Reactions: Jason McRay

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
A arc furnace can also smelt wood into charcoal
Yeah, I know - but that recipe needs oxygen as well, and you can't get that from renewable resources (even if you could electrolyze water, which strangely you can't, that would be prohibitively power-intensive). So really, if you want to base your power production on charcoal and alumentum as you're setting things up to progress to the MV tier, your only option is the coke oven. This may be personal, but I've always hated them - they represent everything that's wrong with multiblocks. They take up too much space, they make large expanses of landscape look ugly, need kilometers of conduits or pipes and eat up a ton of clay to make. If I decide to continue this after I've recovered from my frustration, I'll have to hide them all underground. Having to spam machines is bad enough. Having to spam multiblocks.....I have no words.

In addition to that, I think charcoal being unavailable as furnace fuel in the very early game makes things excessively hard. Really, excessively. This goes far beyond what GT ever did. It's also highly unrealistic. Making charcoal is stone age tech. Oh, and to say nothing of the fact that you can't make lights without having found a coal vein, some rubber trees or enough clay and sand to make a coke oven, while bricks are made in a furnace fired with wood.

Last edited:

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Haha damn.. i managed to screw up my world again by placing a automagy tally box on the side of the bottom block of a thaumatorium, just tried to see where it can check for inventory and now i cannot even spawn in the world, client crash before i can even see anything.
Bad idea looking into the bottom block.
There is another bug (possibly) the golem's workbench, when items are in the crafting grid golems will refuse to pull items from the golem's workbench inventory, its like the workbench has 2 modes:
Crafting and Storage, can't do both at the same time (well at least with thaumcraft iron nuggets, i put any number of them into the crafting grid and my "fill" golem will not attempt to pull nuggets from the chest and fill the thaumatorium... he gets stuck without even picking one up, i have yet to try with other items in the crafting grid tho)

I have to backup my world again... geesh, need to contact mod author or something... this might be a thaumcraft bug too as it involves the thaumatorium... also:

iron nuggets is driving me insane, why do my nuggets transform if i keep them in my player inventory? and why they transform if i throw them out? and the thaumatorium only creates thaumcraft iron nuggets which transform into gregtech nuggets (if lucky) , and sometimes i get railcraft iron nuggets when converting one iron ingot into 9 nuggets, wtf? different versions of iron nuggets don't play with each others with regards to several block/items, the tally box looks for specific iron nuggets, the golems also look for specific nuggets, i wonder if there is a golem upgrade to expand this? i tried this filter for automagy white and black lists but did nothing for me, golems upgrades might work tho.

EDIT: Checked the crash log, it mentions the tally box several times, pretty sure that is it.

Last edited:

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know - but that recipe needs oxygen as well, and you can't get that from renewable resources (even if you could electrolyze water, which strangely you can't, that would be prohibitively power-intensive).
Empty cell into compressor -> compressed air cell (2 air buckets) -> distiller makes oxygen out of air
OR you CAN electrolyse water 45k eu for 1 oxygen cell
arc furnace needs 6,4k eu for 1 charcoal and needs 32mb oxygen
AND you get 2 buckets of hydrogen which can get you 15keu each in the gas turbine (30keu)
45keu - 30keu = 15keu

1000/32 = 31,25
15.000 / 31,25 =480
so every charcoal you make in the arc furnace is 480 eu more expensive
1 charcoal costs 6880eu
the energy costs only increases by 7% (not so power intensive)

And if you turn the hydrogen into methane you can decrease it even more.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
All right. I think this is the point where I give up on Infitech. I'm not plastering the landscape with the gazillion coke ovens I'd need for my alumentum production (actually, it's 14 but it feels like a million, just for the aesthetics), and I'm definitely not going to autocraft and distill chests just to get the vacuos I need for making charcoal with alchemy. Also, I did cheat most of my old stuff from my V2 base in (I'm still recreating stuff, that's why I didn't notice this before) but I can only imagine what this means for your steelmaking if you're starting out. It takes long enough as things are. Oh, and what about torches? Hmph.
I was pretty sure you'd give up eventually :) The pack really isn't for your tastes imo.

Personally I get by with three coke ovens with no issue but that's me. I hate spammy solutions.

Good luck with your next pack. And if you return bear in mind you can always tweak things like the charcoal/furnace thing to your own tastes.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I was pretty sure you'd give up eventually :) The pack really isn't for your tastes imo.

Personally I get by with three coke ovens with no issue but that's me. I hate spammy solutions.

Good luck with your next pack. And if you return bear in mind you can always tweak things like the charcoal/furnace thing to your own tastes.
I can? I've looked into the scripts and couldn't find anything. How would I do that?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Empty cell into compressor -> compressed air cell (2 air buckets) -> distiller makes oxygen out of air
I did not find the latter of those in NEI.

you CAN electrolyse water 45k eu for 1 oxygen cell
All right, so I didn't see that because I was looking for the fluid instead of the cell.

So in the end, ok, it isn't prohibitively expensive. Yet, doesn't all that seem silly to you just to make a piece of charcoal? One of the most basic items in the game?

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, and that's a great help /sarcasm. I started Infitech to play Gregtech, and I expected tech progression to be hard and that's what I wanted, but now I think Industrial Rotation may suit my preferences better.
Hey, sorry, no sarcasm intended.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
iirc the charcoal thing is actually an old config item in ic2 or GT
Thank you. Found it. "Wood2charcoalsmelting_false=true" in GregTech/Recipes.cfg. Now that I know how to change this, I'm willing to put up with the original for a while longer. You know, I get the impression that it's best if you already know GregTech when you start with Infitech.

@SolManX
Sorry here, too. I let my frustration talk. All I want to do at this point is to re-create what I had in V2 as quickly as possible, so that I can progress from there, but the pack keeps changing the rules.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thank you. Found it. "Wood2charcoalsmelting_false=true" in GregTech/Recipes.cfg. Now that I know how to change this, I'm willing to put up with the original for a while longer. You know, I get the impression that it's best if you already know GregTech when you start with Infitech.

@SolManX
Sorry here, too. I let my frustration talk. All I want to do at this point is to re-create what I had in V2 as quickly as possible, so that I can progress from there, but the pack keeps changing the rules.
Its likely to change a bunch more sadly. A lot of the things Jason was trying to do fell apart a bit, so we can expect some more flux as it gets reworked.

@Jason McRay, didn't we decide to scale back Forestry difficulty to Medium or some such? I thought I saw ppl talking about the power consumption rates a few pages ago, and I just checked and its at Hard atm.

(Obviously they can tweak that themselves but i think we wanted the default at Medium)

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I did not find the latter of those in NEI.

All right, so I didn't see that because I was looking for the fluid instead of the cell.

So in the end, ok, it isn't prohibitively expensive. Yet, doesn't all that seem silly to you just to make a piece of charcoal? One of the most basic items in the game?
Well considering that there is already the early game (Coke Oven) machines for that i dont think its silly and if you dont like that you will probably dont like gregtech method of doing things.
I think its fun to build those production chains :D
And the oxygen is also used by other machines (electric blast furnace) so you dont just make it for charcoal.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
And the oxygen is also used by other machines (electric blast furnace) so you dont just make it for charcoal.
Yes, I know that. The difference is that I don't need steel in basically unlimited quantities (though it sometimes seems that way, LOL), and I don't need it continuously with every break in production bringing my whole base to a standstill. If I need some oxygen for my steelmaking and haven't got any from electrolyzing stuff, I dig up a few stacks of sand, cook it into glass, grind the glass to dust, centrifuge that to silicon dioxide and send that into an electrolyzer. And while I'm digging up sand my base doesn't lose power in the meantime.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Modpack update v3.0.1
Mod Updates:
- Applied Energistics 2 -> rv2 stable 5
- Automagy -> 0.24.2
- Buildcraft -> 6.4.17
- Extra Utilities -> 1.2.6
- Forestry -> 3.5.7.16
- Galacticraft -> 3.0.12.341
- GregTech -> 5.08.19
- Industrial Craft 2 -> 2.2.733

Changes:
- Lowered Bluepower volcano spawn chance
- Brought back RF Generators and RF Cables
- Disabled direct ability to power GT machines with RF (powering some RF machines with GTEU still possible)
- Lowered energy costs for Forestry machines from 4x to 3x
- Disabled BP Amethyst Generation
- Boosted Small Amethyst Ore generation
- Amethyst Saw craftable with any Amethyst Gem
- Removed not working eIO Enchanter recipes
- Changed Haste and Repair costs in enchanter (Haste = Hyper Nitor, Repair = Anvil)
- Changed Yeta Wrench recipe to be available in early game
- Changed Painting Machine recipe to use regular steel instead of electrical
- Changed Item Buffer recipe to use regular steel instead of electrical
- Changed Conduit Probe recipe to use regular steel instead of electrical
- Added Blue Alloy recipe into Alloy Smelter (Teslatite + Silver)
- Added Buildcraft Lenses and Filters into Lathe (Lenses) and Forming Press (Filters)
- Removed Lenses and Filters from BC Assembly Table
- Fixed crash when tally box (no lens) is pointed at certain invalid targets.
- Updated FMP support in Extra Utilities to FMP version 1.2.0
- Enderlillies can be planted on water (wha?)
- Improved Bounding and Collision boxes of IC2 Iron Fences

Last edited:

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I know that. The difference is that I don't need steel in basically unlimited quantities (though it sometimes seems that way, LOL), and I don't need it continuously with every break in production bringing my whole base to a standstill. If I need some oxygen for my steelmaking and haven't got any from electrolyzing stuff, I dig up a few stacks of sand, cook it into glass, grind the glass to dust, centrifuge that to silicon dioxide and send that into an electrolyzer. And while I'm digging up sand my base doesn't lose power in the meantime.
Just make a dedicated oxygen tank for the arc furnace (1000mb is enough for 31 charcoal / 16buckets buildcraft tank is enough for 500charcoal)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can someone please remind me what I need to research to unlock thaumic restorer?

Edit: Gaseuos Illuminae -> Hyperenergetic nitor -> essential funnel -> Thaumic Restorer

Last edited: