[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Bril

Jul 29, 2019
Uh....Forestry power requirements have always been so low that I didn't bother looking them up. The rather outdated list I found now lists 9 MJ/t for the rubber farm - times four would be 360 RF/t. I actually can't believe it's so ridiculously high - that would make the design unfeasible. Also this doesn't appear to take the farm's size into account. Does anyone have any current information, I can't find any.

Yeah, you have to check the config for Forestry and there you will find it is currently set to hard mode. Then when you look in the hard mode settings you will see the power multiplier is set to 4 times normal mode. I learned to look for this on the last Gregtech pack I played...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah, you have to check the config for Forestry and there you will find it is currently set to hard mode. Then when you look in the hard mode settings you will see the power multiplier is set to 4 times normal mode. I learned to look for this on the last Gregtech pack I played...
Too bad there aren't any hard numbers in the config. Do you have any info about what Forestry farms actually require?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm...I was just thinking of something. The Railcraft steam turbine outputs 200 EU/t, but there is no information about the voltage. Do I need a HV storage block or transformer at the end? Or does IC2's CESU accept that. I can't make an MFE because the energy crystal recipe needs 256 EU/t, and I can't make aluminium because I don't have the Electric Blast furnace yet, which I want the turbine for.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hmm...I was just thinking of something. The Railcraft steam turbine outputs 200 EU/t, but there is no information about the voltage. Do I need a HV storage block or transformer at the end? Or does IC2's CESU accept that. I can't make an MFE because the energy crystal recipe needs 256 EU/t, and I can't make aluminium because I don't have the Electric Blast furnace yet, which I want the turbine for.
The 200 eu/t is in IC2, so it has no voltage in GT terms (its 1A 200V, or 200A 1V, whichever you prefer)

To convert it all to GT, you'll need a HV transformer or two MV transformers.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The 200 eu/t is in IC2, so it has no voltage in GT terms (its 1A 200V, or 200A 1V, whichever you prefer)

To convert it all to GT, you'll need a HV transformer or two MV transformers.
In fact, the MV transformer has a low voltage of 128 EU/t and a high voltage of 512, so one of that should be enough. That means I have to run the Electric Blast Furnace from stored power from my LV setup until I have enough aluminium to make the MV transformer.... phew, this step from LV to MV is complicated.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In fact, the MV transformer has a low voltage of 128 EU/t and a high voltage of 512, so one of that should be enough. That means I have to run the Electric Blast Furnace from stored power from my LV setup until I have enough aluminium to make the MV transformer.... phew, this step from LV to MV is complicated.
I'm trying to remember: I think if you want to use that transformer you'll need to output with multiple sides at 128, or from a single side at 512 (up-transforming). I don't think the transformer outputs multiple amps from a single side.

If that's the case it may not be a big deal, you'll just notice your turbine throttle back since your throughput will choke at 128 eu/t.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to remember: I think if you want to use that transformer you'll need to output with multiple sides at 128, or from a single side at 512 (up-transforming). I don't think the transformer outputs multiple amps from a single side.

If that's the case it may not be a big deal, you'll just notice your turbine throttle back since your throughput will choke at 128 eu/t.

So they fixed that thing with MV transformers being able to step down 2048 without leaving a crater?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Back a few versions ago, i could step down 1000eu/t with a medium voltage transformer without it blowing up in my face ...
GT or IC2?

IC2 machines will accept all voltages of course.

For GT ones, I suspect its because otherwise it was too easy to cause an explosion by inadvertantly inverting or rotating a transformer, so they're all inheritently safe.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 - i thought it was weird and did even fiddle with it on my test world with a 10 turbine setup cranking 2k eu/t and it was basically stepping it down to the point where a GT mv transformer would work with it.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
GT or IC2?

IC2 machines will accept all voltages of course.

For GT ones, I suspect its because otherwise it was too easy to cause an explosion by inadvertantly inverting or rotating a transformer, so they're all inheritently safe.
IC2 machines accept all voltages? That means I could input 200 EU/t into a CESU until I have a MV transformer? I'd be wasting some power, but at least I could re-fill the LV batteries running my blast furnace at a more acceptable speed.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
CESU will blow up if you put it in straight obviously, but when i put voltages beyond 512 into an mv transformer back in march, nothing happened apart from it working normally...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
CESU will blow up if you put it in straight obviously, but when i put voltages beyond 512 into an mv transformer back in march, nothing happened apart from it working normally...
Well....I guess it's worth risking an LV transformer to test if this works.

Hmm... downtransforming would be quite the hassle then, for instance if I want to downtransform 128 V to 32 V I'd have to use four 1A power lines. The description from the gamepedia wiki says: "In Normal mode ("Machine Active"), a Transformer accepts up to 1 Amp of current at 1 tier higher than its named voltage, through its high-voltage side. It then attempts to emit up to 4 amps of current (combined) at its named voltage , from its other 5 sides."

That appears to say the transformer always output up to 4A at any of its lower-voltage sides. That makes sense, since I'd re-connect any 1A output lines into one 4A line at the next opportunity anyway.

So, assuming that this is the way things work, I'll have an MV transformer making 2A 128V from the turbine's input, and I'll then have to downtransform that with two LV transformers to 4A 32V each going into an LV battery buffer. Correct? If that's the case, I might be better off running my EBF from stored LV power for a while longer and make an MV battery buffer. If I understand the buffers right, an MV buffer with 4 slots filled can accept the 4A 128V I'm getting from the transformer but emit 128 V at any amperage up to 4, so I can take out 1A or 2A as I need.

LOL, the rules aren't hard to understand, but the complexity that results is significant.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
IC2 machines accept all voltages? That means I could input 200 EU/t into a CESU until I have a MV transformer? I'd be wasting some power, but at least I could re-fill the LV batteries running my blast furnace at a more acceptable speed.
Doublecheck that powerless. I'm not 100% sure but I think with the broken enet, the CESU may accept all 200 eu/t.

The CESU won't blow up, unless maybe you turn the experimental enet on. Its off by default due to power exploits. You can output 8192 eu/t into a batbox if you want to. (Test and confirm before trying in your real base)

So, assuming that this is the way things work, I'll have an MV transformer making 2A 128V from the turbine's input, and I'll then have to downtransform that with two LV transformers to 4A 32V each going into an LV battery buffer. Correct? If that's the case, I might be better off running my EBF from stored LV power for a while longer and make an MV battery buffer. If I understand the buffers right, an MV buffer with 4 slots filled can accept the 4A 128V I'm getting from the transformer but emit 128 V at any amperage up to 4, so I can take out 1A or 2A as I need.
I just made my turbine yesterday (finally). I skipped GT turbines and went straight to RC.

I'm dumping its power directly into a CESU. CESU outputs to an LV transformer, thereby transforming the CESU into a batbox to feed my GT machines (of which I have only one)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Doublecheck that powerless. I'm not 100% sure but I think with the broken enet, the CESU may accept all 200 eu/t.
I just made my turbine yesterday (finally). I skipped GT turbines and went straight to RC.

I'm dumping its power directly into a CESU. CESU outputs to an LV transformer, thereby transforming the CESU into a batbox to feed my GT machines (of which I have only one)
Good. That means I can use a CESU as intermediate storage and transformer. BTW, it's odd how GT has a reputation for nerfing things, but GT's power storage blocks are actually superior to IC2's blocks of the same tier (not sure if the MFSU has an equivalent), and more variable in their use at that.

Also, only one GT machine? Wow, that's a lot of steel for that stage in the game. I had five stacks of steel before I made the turbine components and ended up with having to wait for the next batch to get the last handful of ingots. Thankfully the boiler can be made from iron.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Good. That means I can use a CESU as intermediate storage. BTW, it's odd how GT has a reputation for nerfing things, but GT's power storage blocks are actually superior to IC2's blocks of the same tier (not sure if the MFSU has an equivalent), and more variable in their use at that.

Also, only one GT machine? Wow, that's a lot of steel for that stage in the game. I had five stacks of steel before I made the turbine components and ended up with having to wait for the next batch to get the last handful of ingots. Thankfully the boiler can be made from iron.
I took a really, really weird route through the game this time. I often set myself weird projects, and this time it was "get to electrical age with no bronze blast furnaces and no basic steam turbines."

As a result I already have a decent thaumcraft setup going, with borers, mana beans, golems, farms. I can crank out steel at a good rate now, and I can easily power an EBF (when I build it), so I could theoretically be into MV tonight. If I don't get distracted with my farms which I plan on tweaking.

I think there's a transmutation for aluminium. Maybe I'll try to produce 99% of my MV aluminium via TC for fun :)

Regarding power storage: I still rely heavily on IC2 storage because its easier to assemble and use. Also, you can automatically track IC2 storage, but with GT I don't know of any way. (So I wouldn't be able to, say, turn on my reactors when my energy is at 25% or anything)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I took a really, really weird route through the game this time. I often set myself weird projects, and this time it was "get to electrical age with no bronze blast furnaces and no basic steam turbines."

As a result I already have a decent thaumcraft setup going, with borers, mana beans, golems, farms. I can crank out steel at a good rate now, and I can easily power an EBF (when I build it), so I could theoretically be into MV tonight. If I don't get distracted with my farms which I plan on tweaking.

I think there's a transmutation for aluminium. Maybe I'll try to produce 99% of my MV aluminium via TC for fun :)

Regarding power storage: I still rely heavily on IC2 storage because its easier to assemble and use. Also, you can automatically track IC2 storage, but with GT I don't know of any way. (So I wouldn't be able to, say, turn on my reactors when my energy is at 25% or anything)
You can track IC2 storage? How? I've been thinking of how to it and found my knowledge is lacking.

Regarding TC, I noticed that GT adds a few things. I usually don't explore the metal transmutations early for lack of aspects but I certainly will do so now. As a matter of interest, I think I can debug my golem farm by replacing the gatherer golem with EnderIO vacuum chests. The gatherer kept attempting to pick up the rare sapling that fell behind the fence until the other stuff despawned. I'm also going to use jungle trees as a source. They give more wood than dark oaks. They do have branches but as opposed to GT axes, the golem uses an Axe of the Stream which is capable of cutting down trees with branches. Implementation has to wait since there are RL obligations, grrr....

BTW, one thing I really don't like in GT picks, axes and shovels is that they're so limited in their use. I can shovel tons of dirt with a GT shovel but I can't break tall grass? Breaking dirt with a pickaxe may be inefficient but it should be possible.