[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You can track IC2 storage? How? I've been thinking of how to it and found my knowledge is lacking.

Regarding TC, I noticed that GT adds a few things. I usually don't explore the metal transmutations early for lack of aspects but I certainly will do so now. As a matter of interest, I think I can debug my golem farm by replacing the gatherer golem with EnderIO vacuum chests. The gatherer kept attempting to pick up the rare sapling that fell behind the fence until the other stuff despawned. I'm also going to use jungle trees as a source. They give more wood than dark oaks. They do have branches but as opposed to GT axes, the golem uses an Axe of the Stream which is capable of cutting down trees with branches. Implementation has to wait since there are RL obligations, grrr....

BTW, one thing I really don't like in GT picks, axes and shovels is that they're so limited in their use. I can shovel tons of dirt with a GT shovel but I can't break tall grass? Breaking dirt with a pickaxe may be inefficient but it should be possible.
TC/TC integration is incredible. You can tell both parties went out of their way to make it work.

With IC2 storage you can display the values via nuclear control on screens which is pretty cool. You can output redstone signals directly via its gui based on some conditions, or use BC gates+structurepipes to get a slightly better control. For instance I believe you can output signals based on 25% increments.

Oh, and yeah, the tools thing is annoying. GT tools really do only work on the one material they're good for, for balance reasons, but the downside is as you mentioned it. Very annoying.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been playing for a bit now and found a few things worth commenting on.

• Redstone engines now require both a compressor and a macerator to obtain. Why does this happen? It makes the only methods of using BC pipes before those machines to be the railcraft steam engines.
  • How do you convert RF from the RF producing engines into EU? I can't figure out any way to make them connect to anything but pipes or capacitor banks and neither of those seem useful for converting to EU.
  • The costs for the TC enchants in the enchanter are way too high, the lamps of growth require a decent thaumcraft setup to make so if they've got that the infusion enchanting method is pretty much totally superior taking 20 less levels (30 vs 54) and nitor + salis instead of lamps of growth, the essentia does not make up for the rest of the cost. For repair the fact it requires nodes makes it more expensive level wise even ignoring the vis cost and need for a node, also unlike every other enchant you can't get higher levels because they don't stack. I'd suggest something like hyperenergetic nitor for haste and anvils or thaumium blocks for repair, in line with the infusion enchanting an actual competitor to it instead of definitely inferior.
For a second question, any tips for the ender dragon? I haven't fought it with HEE before and my test world indicates it is significantly harder here. So any tips?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I've been playing for a bit now and found a few things worth commenting on.
  • Redstone engines now require both a compressor and a macerator to obtain. Why does this happen? It makes the only methods of using BC pipes before those machines to be the railcraft steam engines.
Sorta agree.

• The costs for the TC enchants in the enchanter are way too high, the lamps of growth require a decent thaumcraft setup to make so if they've got that the infusion enchanting method is pretty much totally superior taking 20 less levels (30 vs 54) and nitor + salis instead of lamps of growth, the essentia does not make up for the rest of the cost. For repair the fact it requires nodes makes it more expensive level wise even ignoring the vis cost and need for a node, also unlike every other enchant you can't get higher levels because they don't stack. I'd suggest something like hyperenergetic nitor for haste and anvils or thaumium blocks for repair, in line with the infusion enchanting an actual competitor to it instead of definitely inferior.
I do all my enchanting in the osmotic enchanter and I don't find the levels to be too obnoxious. I just ensure I have a decent captured node system set up. Are you talking about something different?

For a second question, any tips for the ender dragon? I haven't fought it with HEE before and my test world indicates it is significantly harder here. So any tips?
Nothing special. Flight, armor with enchants, sword with good enchants on it. Bow or ME Matter Cannon to destroy the pillar orb things.

Some people like to use enchanted bows on the dragon but I can't be bothered. Vampiric sword works fine for me.

Also: last I checked there were two dragons :p

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I do all my enchanting in the osmotic enchanter and I don't find the levels to be too obnoxious. I just ensure I have a decent captured node system set up. Are you talking about something different?
Yeah I'm referring to the ender io enchanter, it allows you to create enchanted books with items + xp. The thaumcraft enchants were added in this update to it with the costs listed above.

No secret knowledge though on how to make the engines convert their RF to EU? Pity, really would've liked that as I really don't want to have to build either a steam turbine before my first wire mill as I've been facing serious issues with finding useful veins in this world, I haven't even managed to find a chalcopyrite or anything, just tons of bauxite, lignite, and limonite. I do have half a stack of tungsten blocks though from the dozen volcanoes I ransacked so at least that's not too bad.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah I'm referring to the ender io enchanter, it allows you to create enchanted books with items + xp. The thaumcraft enchants were added in this update to it with the costs listed above.

No secret knowledge though on how to make the engines convert their RF to EU? Pity, really would've liked that as I really don't want to have to build either a steam turbine before my first wire mill as I've been facing serious issues with finding useful veins in this world, I haven't even managed to find a chalcopyrite or anything, just tons of bauxite, lignite, and limonite. I do have half a stack of tungsten blocks though from the dozen volcanoes I ransacked so at least that's not too bad.
Oh I see what you're doing, ok. You're using something like a RC Commercial Steam Engine or other to create RF and you want to convert that to EU. Clever.

Can you confirm that? Which generator are you using?

Try a GT LV Transformer with the big dot facing your generator. Wires should connect to that just fine.

Edit: Edited 14 billion times to fix errors.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I see what you're doing, ok. You're using something like a RC Commercial Steam Engine or other to create RF and you want to convert that to EU. Clever.

Can you confirm that? Which generator are you using?

Try a GT LV Transformer with the big dot facing your generator. Wires should connect to that just fine.

Edit: Edited 14 billion times to fix errors.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, I'm doing it in a test world and none of them seem to work. The issue is that they don't recognise the transformer as a valid output like they do pipes and capacitors, consequently they don't automatically face it or connect as they would if they were recognising it.

For the related topic is there any other way to produce EU with steam tech then the railcraft or GT steam turbines? Because that's what I really want, a way of producing EU so I can make the wiremill as my first machine and use it to make a proper turbine. Resource shortage is a concern after all.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well, scrap the plan to improve my golem farm. The autoclave recipe to make the pulsating crystal needs 44 EU/t. You know, it is getting seriously annoying how much stuff is gated behind MV. No TC aluminium recipe either as far as I can determine - I bought all the related research, wow, that was expensive.

Also, about the redstone engine: there are steam versions of the compressor and macerator, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

@Xavion:
You don't need the wiremill to make a turbine. You can just use the wire cutter to make your wires. It's more expensive, but that's the way you're supposed to do it at this point: use your manual tools to make a basic steam turbine which produces the EU you need to run your earliest GT machines.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You don't need the wiremill to make a turbine. You can just use the wire cutter to make your wires. It's more expensive, but that's the way you're supposed to do it at this point: use your manual tools to make a basic steam turbine which produces the EU you need to run your earliest GT machines.
He's trying to avoid making the basic steam turbine, hence why I'm interested in his project :)

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, I'm doing it in a test world and none of them seem to work. The issue is that they don't recognise the transformer as a valid output like they do pipes and capacitors, consequently they don't automatically face it or connect as they would if they were recognising it.

For the related topic is there any other way to produce EU with steam tech then the railcraft or GT steam turbines? Because that's what I really want, a way of producing EU so I can make the wiremill as my first machine and use it to make a proper turbine. Resource shortage is a concern after all.
This is a neat project, I'll check it out in a few hours when I get home.

I can't think of anything else offhand that creates power from steam. EnderIO doesn't afaik, and cant remember anything from BC doing it.

I wonder if your plan would work if we had kinesis pipes back.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
The TC aluminum recipe is hidden research iirc, you have to get evrything required and then combine knowledge fragments for it.

The issue is more that it makes Buildcraft pipes vs Ender io conduits an aesthetic choice early game, both need GT pipes and two basic steam machines to get (macerator/alloy smelter for conduit) and conduits are superior in early game filtering and extraction.

I'm also aware of the supposed to get the turbine first, I don't want to dye to lack of non-iron resources making the effiench really useful to me.

Reactions: Tyriael_Soban

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The TC aluminum recipe is hidden research iirc, you have to get evrything required and then combine knowledge fragments for it.
I forgot about that. I was never able to actually produce aluminium transmutation research now that you mention it. afaik I have all the other research done, but I'd need dozens of knowledge fragments to get lucky enough to unlock the aluminium.

The issue is more that it makes Buildcraft pipes vs Ender io conduits an aesthetic choice early game, both need GT pipes and two basic steam machines to get (macerator/alloy smelter for conduit) and conduits are superior in early game filtering and extraction.

I'm also aware of the supposed to get the turbine first, I don't want to dye to lack of non-iron resources making the effiench really useful to me.
I don't understand you here; the BC/enderio pipes are disabled afaik, so they're not an option aesthetic or otherwise.

I skipped basic steam turbine myself, but instead made a RC 200 eu/t turbine. As you know those are stupidly expensive in steel, especially if you don't have a bending machine.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone Engine: I was not aware of this, when I tweaked the recipe slightly bit (i guess its because of Wooden Plates). On the other hand, redstone engine with BC pipes is considered as an automation, so making it little bit more of work needed seems OK.
Converting RF -> EU: Issue might be because those mods arent implementing full RF API (if I understood @Blood Asp correctly). Also you mentioned Railcraft steam engines, i though I have disabled them :p
TC Enchants in eIO enchanter are WIP and only proof of concept (I used defaults provided by "example" in eIO configs). The cost will be lowered in next version (its on my to-do list)
I don't understand you here; the BC/enderio pipes are disabled afaik, so they're not an option aesthetic or otherwise.
Only kinesis and energy conduits. Item/Liquid pipes are still present. I think @Xavion was reffering to wooden pipe + redstone engine compares as "the same" to eIO Item Conduit

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about that. I was never able to actually produce aluminium transmutation research now that you mention it. afaik I have all the other research done, but I'd need dozens of knowledge fragments to get lucky enough to unlock the aluminium.
Yeah I've never really had the fragments to try for it and been too lazy to research everything else to force it to appear as the only option.

I might just have to go for it, unless I get a candleberry farm setup anyway. Considering you need 264 steel though that's 2,376 candleberries so some hefty automation will be needed. Time to look at golems I guess.
Converting RF -> EU: Issue might be because those mods arent implementing full RF API (if I understood @Blood Asp correctly). Also you mentioned Railcraft steam engines, i though I have disabled them :p
No you haven't, the crafting recipes for the steam engines still exist and they can be crafted. Do you really want us limited to redstone engines though? Because that kind of cripples BC pipes for automation unless they've been improved in BC 7, considering that extraction speed is dependent on RF input and they don't accept cables you're limiting them to the max speed of RF engines.

For a different question, why was MineChem removed? I liked that mod and am quite disappointed to see it go.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Good. That means I can use a CESU as intermediate storage and transformer. BTW, it's odd how GT has a reputation for nerfing things, but GT's power storage blocks are actually superior to IC2's blocks of the same tier (not sure if the MFSU has an equivalent), and more variable in their use at that.

Also, only one GT machine? Wow, that's a lot of steel for that stage in the game. I had five stacks of steel before I made the turbine components and ended up with having to wait for the next batch to get the last handful of ingots. Thankfully the boiler can be made from iron.
You can actually fill a MFSU in one tick if you somewere get 40mioEU/t output. Did that with Reactorcrafts Turbine Generator once.
btw. GT Transformers pulling energy from higher tiers also does not explode. The internal code only allows for pulling code and they only pull as much they can accept anyways. So an GT LV Transformer pulling Energy from an MFSU does work.

Again the problem with only allowed to implement pull mechanic. A GT Transformer placed next to any form of RF energy storage tries to pull out the energy. The usual way is pushing out energy and EnderIO did not even implement pull mechanic. BC engines have no accessable Storage, so nothing can be pulled out. Most machines that have RF storage do not allow for energy to be taken out.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
No you haven't, the crafting recipes for the steam engines still exist and they can be crafted. Do you really want us limited to redstone engines though? Because that kind of cripples BC pipes for automation unless they've been improved in BC 7, considering that extraction speed is dependent on RF input and they don't accept cables you're limiting them to the max speed of RF engines.

For a different question, why was MineChem removed? I liked that mod and am quite disappointed to see it go.
I am still not 100% decided about RF power gens. I might bring most of them back, but if the RF -> EU will be acting derpy... well there will be no reason to have those gens, because I intend to have GT wires as only way to power transport.

As for MineChem. It was personal choice to get rid of it, because I was getting highly frustrated and annoyed by freezes during load. It was happening too much often. I have report it quite a while ago (numerous times as well), and even jakimfett is not able to really pinpoint where the issue is. And I am really not into debugging it in the way of remove mod > try to start the game couple of times > see if it will freeze > remove mod > try to start > etc..

If the freezing issue will be solved, Minechem will make its return (I still have Minechem installed in my private dev version, so I am keeping an eye on the updates and hoping for fix)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
@Xavion can you try engine -> wooden kinesis pipe->lv transformer->gt stuff?

I'm assuming you can still cheat in a kinesis pipe via nei.
Kinesis pipes aren't showing up for me in NEI so no, not sure how they're disabled either so can't reenable them.
I am still not 100% decided about RF power gens. I might bring most of them back, but if the RF -> EU will be acting derpy... well there will be no reason to have those gens, because I intend to have GT wires as only way to power transport.
So that's simple then, you just need to figure out if there is a basic RF storage block that GT is compatible with. As that way the engines can dump straight into them as normal and GT will have to be used to transfer the power. @BloodAsp, is there any kind of list of which storage blocks are compatible with GT?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Wont connect
I'm outta ideas. In theory he could do what he wanted through galacticraft storage clusters, but they already convert power outside of blood asp's stuff anyway.

PneumaticCraft conversion would be really cool at this stage but he might not have the tech/resources for the conversion blocks.