• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I wanted to like this post, then I read the last sentence implying old packs are somehow bad.
I didn't imply that. My implication was that old mods aren't used as much nowadays and some people believe they should die.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't imply that. My implication was that old mods aren't used as much nowadays and some people believe they should die.
Some old mods aren't really used anymore because they don't fit very well within the current environment defined by the most popular mods and packs. But they can function well outside of this environment. And you of all people are experiencing this ^^

Reactions: Pudding01

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Do these people that think the old mods should die realize that if that happened, we would lose the base of almost all current packs?

You mean like BASIC with line numbers died? Or COBOL, Fortran77 or even real Assembly language, talking about nostalgia? :D

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
You mean like BASIC with line numbers died? Or COBOL, Fortran77 or even real Assembly language, talking about nostalgia? :D

What are these strange terms? In my day we only coded in binary, on punch cards, and we liked it. JK.
Though I do remember seeing some punch cards in one of my parents boxes of things that should have bin thrown away before I was even born.

Last edited:

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Do these people that think the old mods should die realize that if that happened, we would lose the base of almost all current packs?
Well, new mods come into existence to replace them.

IC2 died. And we lost the base of almost all then-current packs. And it was replaced by TE3.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019

IC2 died. And we lost the base of almost all then-current packs. And it was replaced by TE3.
By this notion, many mods have never been "born" and most probably never will ^^
They're living in their own ecosystem that is not very appealing to most of the players.

Reactions: CuteTurret

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
What have I started, all I ever wanted was to re-live the good old days of FTB Insanity and Tekkit classic in 1.7. It can easily be done.
There's a 1.6.4 version of FTB Insanity, minus the EE; it's called Agrarian Skies.

CuteTurret

Jul 29, 2019

You can say that TE3 replaced IC2, but saying that IC2 died shows you are very misinformed about it.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder how a Botania based pack would be like? .-.
Draconic evolution is the best *.*
Disagree. I personally think it's too op and people rush it's gear too quickly. If you like it though, all the power to you.

Last edited:

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019

You can say that TE3 replaced IC2, but saying that IC2 died shows you are very misinformed about it.

I know that IC2 has changed in many ways over the past versions. Though watching some of Direwolf20's old let's plays (ah nostalgia) it doesn't seem too different. That having been said, playing on a DW20 1.7.1 server and there's a few people that have full IC2 workshops. Saying it's dead and no one uses it is ... incorrect.

Draconic evolution is the best *.*

I wouldn't say it's the best. There are some interesting things about it. I am enjoying it but it is a little op.

Aren't 90% of the FTB packs already based around EnderIO, Thermal Expansion, MFR, Tinkers' Construct and Extra Utilities? Do you really need more of those packs?

AMEN!!!!!Don't get me wrong they all have their little quirks. But could go into a more original direction that having a cloned army..? please can we see some originality (not you @Vazkii you can sit) Seriously it's like here's a new pack with all the stuff from the old pack except we added a mothball mod. (blinks) really?... Don't get me wrong I love the mods, that is why I play them and don't go running off to some other kitchen sink modpack but... sigh

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I know that IC2 has changed in many ways over the past versions. Though watching some of Direwolf20's old let's plays (ah nostalgia) it doesn't seem too different. That having been said, playing on a DW20 1.7.1 server and there's a few people that have full IC2 workshops. Saying it's dead and no one uses it is ... incorrect.
Malicious gossip has it that IC2Exp's changes from IC2 are annyoning (plates etc.), and what didn't change from IC2 is annoying :p

Reactions: Psychicash

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
I believe a pack that has no shortcuts for transportation of things would be really interesting. Rather than just making tesseracts here and there to transport power and items, or ender chests and tanks, it'd be cool to have a pack where pipes and carts must be used. This would also rule out lava power from the nether, which in my opinion is far too easy to use as a starting base or to abuse for a huge amount of power, and force players to make interesting systems for their first power. Gregtech would also go well with this pack, so solar power can't be abused and must be worked towards for a while. I just love systems with pipes everywhere, each doing their own thing, and pockets of machines, so you can build up a factory and make it super-cool, rather than being end-game in a mere week from draconic evolution and RFdimensions and having infinite resources from then on. I'm sure there are people who disagree with me as they want a more creative-mode environment, but I'd just love a pack that's hardcore in a resource and transport sense, hence my excitement for Resurrection coming back again, which I hope will be similar to what I've described.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
What are these strange terms? In my day we only coded in binary, on punch cards, and we liked it. JK.
Though I do remember seeing some punch cards in one of my parents boxes of things that should have bin thrown away before I was even born.

Of course, those were college classes.

At home (and work) I had Intel 8080-based S-100 systems... At work I repaired the computers using machine code to exercise the tested item, repeating the failure mode for easy testing.

At home all I had was a CPU card, a 4Kb memory card (with 256 BYTES installed at a cost of $80) and a few prototyping cards to build custom circuits on. My "GUI" was a bank of rocker switches with accompanying LEDs. Dumb Terminals were still about $1500 and my other I/O (see sig) was so noisy I only used it for printing out program listings. :D

Reactions: Pudding01

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I believe a pack that has no shortcuts for transportation of things would be really interesting. Rather than just making tesseracts here and there to transport power and items, or ender chests and tanks, it'd be cool to have a pack where pipes and carts must be used. This would also rule out lava power from the nether, which in my opinion is far too easy to use as a starting base or to abuse for a huge amount of power, and force players to make interesting systems for their first power. Gregtech would also go well with this pack, so solar power can't be abused and must be worked towards for a while. I just love systems with pipes everywhere, each doing their own thing, and pockets of machines, so you can build up a factory and make it super-cool, rather than being end-game in a mere week from draconic evolution and RFdimensions and having infinite resources from then on. I'm sure there are people who disagree with me as they want a more creative-mode environment, but I'd just love a pack that's hardcore in a resource and transport sense, hence my excitement for Resurrection coming back again, which I hope will be similar to what I've described.

I disagree with this for several reasons.

Not only can all packs can fit your specification. All you have to do is not use those across dem transport systems.
Some systems could never hope to handle the complicated infrastructures that have pipes going everywhere.
And I hate every aspect of the concept of forcing players to do anything.

I used lava for power, once maybe twice. Got board never used it again. Solars the same.
Some players mature and chose not to use the simplest way possible all the time. Some never mature and always complain about the way other people play.

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with this for several reasons.

Not only can all packs can fit your specification. All you have to do is not use those across dem transport systems.
Some systems could never hope to handle the complicated infrastructures that have pipes going everywhere.
And I hate every aspect of the concept of forcing players to do anything.

I used lava for power, once maybe twice. Got board never used it again. Solars the same.
Some players mature and chose not to use the simplest way possible all the time. Some never mature and always complain about the way other people play.

I'm sorry, was I complaining? No, plus it wouldn't actually be forcing them. For example, I still permitted the use of solar power, but discouraged people from using it via expense. Lava power would also still work, but in the way I describe it would be discouraged due to having to have the machines in the nether. Anyway, survival is a form of forcing players to collect resources rather than just having them, and players are forced to do numerous things and have numerous work-arounds, so what do you mean by hating to be forced to do things? That statement just makes no sense. The modpacks at the moment just don't make it fun, as everyone else just uses the faster transport systems and have much simpler builds, but just abandon the server when they reach endgame. Sadly, most people are not mature enough not to use the simplest way every time, and I'd like a modpack that I can be on but also appreciate other people's constructions, not just go 'oh you could've just used a tesseract or this or that'. I want a modpack where people have to be innovative and creative rather than just have the option to. Please don't insinuate that I'm immature for suggesting this when you use 'board' instead of 'bored'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.