Pack updates and new packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SublightNova

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to point out prior to looking at today's help desk tickets:
At the very top, jjw123 was kind enough to remind everyone to

Please, I urge everyone to do this, every time there is an update. Even if there is, on the surface, no reason to believe there will be any sort of world-destroying issues.
That being said, if you encounter a 'bug' please replicate it. The only time reporting a bug is of any use is if it can and will happen again. Please report all replicated bugs on the help desk Report them to the new help desk, it is very easy for us to track bugs using it.

A note to people with complaints about bugs:
Please remember this is an ongoing process. No program is truly ever bug-free, especially ones with as many factors as Minecraft with Feed the Beast. This is why you are urged to keep working backups. If something breaks, it's much easier to simply reload a save of a world.

scratch that

Thethhron

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft doesn't get these extreme low framerates with vanilla MC, it is caused by (many) mods, so no reason to point at notch or Jeb.

If this is not a bug, it is supposed to be a feature? I don't understand, but either way, a huge percentage of user use optifine to remove the annoying feature/bug, it's not like a minor mod that gets little use.

Did something happen with the creator of optifine that causes this reaction of you about my critique concerning incompatibility? Seems kinda odd.

You realise there have been nearly no complaints about the version in the old packs, but huge amounts with these update about multiple problems, not only concerning optifine?
Minecraft totally gets these low frame rates in Vanilla. That's why optifine was created in the first place. As I mentioned, I have to use it just to play vanilla. Granted my comp sucks but still. frame rates can and do get that low in vanilla minecraft. so no, it isn't a bug, though it certainly isn't a feature either. Sure, mods speed up the process but once I've explored enough of the world in vanilla, minecraft slows down, even though I have nothing to chunk load stuff with.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft doesn't get these extreme low framerates with vanilla MC, it is caused by (many) mods, so no reason to point at notch or Jeb.

If this is not a bug, it is supposed to be a feature? I don't understand, but either way, a huge percentage of user use optifine to remove the annoying feature/bug, it's not like a minor mod that gets little use.

Did something happen with the creator of optifine that causes this reaction of you about my critique concerning incompatibility? Seems kinda odd.

You realise there have been nearly no complaints about the version in the old packs, but huge amounts with these update about multiple problems, not only concerning optifine?
In every version of every modpack there have been reports of "unplayable" lag. I would venture a guess (because I'm not going through every forum thread and ticket I've responded to) about 60% of users use Optifine.
Optifine doesn't give permissions to be in modpacks. Solution? Download it yourself. Possible problems: incompatibility with some mods, unstable with use of so many mods, wrong version gets downloaded which leads to crashes, and not surprisingly, more lag. When your problem is too many mods, does it really make sense that adding another one would fix the problem? Installing Optifine has created a whole new category of problems to solve, usually because the wrong version was downloaded or the "ultra" version, which made lag worse.
Some mods specifically cause lots of lag. On my server, the biggest problem was Traincraft. For others it's been EBXL, Twilight Forest, Mystcraft.

A different option would be to suggest to the Mojang team to implement some of the features used by Optifine.

Reactions: Lathanael

JCraft

Jul 29, 2019
My ftb is messed up after the update(Mac). When i start my world it just crashes. Can you do something with it??

swestrup

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 v5.0.1 loads my worlds with NO mods loaded. All the mod blocks are missing. In addition to that, I never see any Yes/No screen prompting me for a world update. No idea what is going on.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft totally gets these low frame rates in Vanilla. That's why optifine was created in the first place. As I mentioned, I have to use it just to play vanilla. Granted my comp sucks but still.

I have never experienced these issues with vanilla, but to this day with every mod compilation I made for myself or modpack, so my guess is that mods do cause more lag than vanilla?

In every version of every modpack there have been reports of "unplayable" lag. I would venture a guess (because I'm not going through every forum thread and ticket I've responded to) about 60% of users use Optifine.
Optifine doesn't give permissions to be in modpacks. Solution? Download it yourself. Possible problems: incompatibility with some mods, unstable with use of so many mods, wrong version gets downloaded which leads to crashes, and not surprisingly, more lag.
When your problem is too many mods, does it really make sense that adding another one would fix the problem?

I have no idea about percentage, but my guess would be about every other player, so near your percentage.

To this day and in every version I have played modpacks including FTB and DW20 optifine has been the solution for framerate issues for me, so yes, another mod has been fixing the problem.

And I think your reasoning to adding optifine is a bad idea (each on his own, not in the pack) is just wrong, I wonder how my clients would react if I would suggest that it's not a good idea to modify their server to run faster, but just reduce the number of users, would be fun times.

ant

Jul 29, 2019
ill jump on the useless info bandwagon, running linux, only vanilla loads for either dire or mindcrack no other mods are present blocks pipes etc have disappeared only tested on my single player worlds, My usual fix of updating lwjgl did not work so my worlds are broken - ps i am useless and did not back up b4 updating feel free to finger point and giggle at my inadequacy , i would appreciate a breakdown of the fix for the launcher if one becomes available

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
k your reasoning to adding optifine is a bad idea (each on his own, not in the pack) is just wrong, I wonder how my clients would react if I would suggest that it's not a good idea to modify their server to run faster, but just reduce the number of users, would be fun times.
Ok, so get the creator of Optifine to allow it to be added to the packs. That way it can be configured properly before everyone gets it and we can eliminate user error from that portion of troubleshooting any future issues.

Edit: Also, just because you never experienced vanilla lag, doesn't mean it's never happened.
Also, this is how I describe lag with modded minecraft to people asking about it on the help desk:
"Due to the number of mods that the Feed the Beast packs have, there is an increased amount of lag associated with using this pack. Mods such as Traincraft, are still in beta stages and are unstable. Other mods such as ExtraBiomesXL and Mystcraft have massive amounts of terrain generation. This creates added lag in the game, and results in sometimes unplayable worlds. The best solution to this is to set your computer and game settings to the most optimal FPS settings you can, or remove mods that greatly contribute to lag. This seems to result in different set-ups for many users of this modpack.
You may need to change your server or computer performance settings to compensate for any changes that have occurred."

Thethhron

Jul 29, 2019
I have never experienced these issues with vanilla, but to this day with every mod compilation I made for myself or modpack, so my guess is that mods do cause more lag than vanilla?

I have no idea about percentage, but my guess would be about every other player, so near your percentage.

To this day and in every version I have played modpacks including FTB and DW20 optifine has been the solution for framerate issues for me, so yes, another mod has been fixing the problem.

And I think your reasoning to adding optifine is a bad idea (each on his own, not in the pack) is just wrong, I wonder how my clients would react if I would suggest that it's not a good idea to modify their server to run faster, but just reduce the number of users, would be fun times.
It's true that mods increase lag, simply because there is more in the game. and to that end, optifine could be a solution. however, it isn't any error or bug. it's simply the hazards of having more things. it isn't "caused" by their modpack so much as it's caused by having mods installed at all. by adding more to your game, you are accepting that things are going to run slower. that's not their issue unless there is one specific mod WITHIN THEIR PACK that has a bug or error that's slowing down the game. the lag caused by having so many mods is not their issue.

EDIT: As an aside, many of these new modpack issues seem to be on an individual basis. the packs work for some and not others and those individuals configurations may not have anything in common. meaning there are a wide variety of issues that may not even be related to optifine. even if they did do something about optifine problems, it seems to me that there would still be a lot more problems to be fixed. they'll have to be done on an individual basis anyway. even the optifine issues might be different from person to person

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
It's true that mods increase lag, simply because there is more in the game. and to that end, optifine could be a solution. however, it isn't any error or bug. it's simply the hazards of having more things. it isn't "caused" by their modpack so much as it's caused by having mods installed at all. by adding more to your game, you are accepting that things are going to run slower. that's not their issue unless there is one specific mod that has a bug or error that's slowing down the game. the lag caused by having so many mods is not their issue.
I just want to change everything you just said ;) (in layman's terms, with an analogy!)
The lag is caused by Java.
[possibly offensive statement below]
Java is like a fat kid. RAM is the cake on the table. The kid will eat the cake until there is no more cake to eat. End result, fat kid gets his cake, and you have a laggy game.

Thethhron

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to change everything you just said ;) (in layman's terms, with an analogy!)
The lag is caused by Java.
[possibly offensive statement below]
Java is like a fat kid. RAM is the cake on the table. The kid will eat the cake until there is no more cake to eat. End result, fat kid gets his cake, and you have a laggy game.
What she said. I have crappy minecraft play because i have only tiny cake. only 2 gigs of ram. is miracle I can play game

Reactions: Ashzification

EpicEraser

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 v5.0.1 loads my worlds with NO mods loaded. All the mod blocks are missing. In addition to that, I never see any Yes/No screen prompting me for a world update. No idea what is going on.
ill jump on the useless info bandwagon, running linux, only vanilla loads for either dire or mindcrack no other mods are present blocks pipes etc have disappeared only tested on my single player worlds, My usual fix of updating lwjgl did not work so my worlds are broken - ps i am useless and did not back up b4 updating feel free to finger point and giggle at my inadequacy , i would appreciate a breakdown of the fix for the launcher if one becomes available
If you read a few pages back, you will see that the problem is solved by renaming FTB/Direwolf20/instMods/minecraftforge.zip to MinecraftForge.zip .
I wish they would just fix this in the mod pack itself though. Seems like just a small change...

ant

Jul 29, 2019
the fix for no mods loading in linux is on page five i missed it the first read through you go to mindcrack/instMods and rename minecraftforge.zip to MinecraftForge.zip its just worked for me - thanks epiceraser i mean EpicEraser :)

gccruz

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone noticing a bunch of [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? spam in the console. using the Minecrack modpack. And running 5gb of ram

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone noticing a bunch of [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? spam in the console. using the Minecrack modpack. And running 5gb of ram
You may have 5GBs of ram, but if you don't have Java 64-bit, that means nothing. Check if you have the 64bit version of Java, or 32 bit. You can tell this in a few ways:

• Set your render distance on far, and if you get a red notice at the bottom (If this hasn't been removed, which I assume it hasn't.) then you have 32-bit
  • Go into your drive that has Windows installed (Generally the C drive.) and if you have Program Files and Program Files (x86) then go into Program Files, if you see Java in there, you most likely have Java 64-Bit (Although, you may have both installed, but the path variable could be set to the 32-Bit version, so this isn't a reliable test). If you only see Program Files and not the one that has (x86) at the end, then you don't have a 64-bit version of Windows installed.
The second step, assumes you're using Windows, you didn't tell us which OS you're using. (Windows / Mac / Linux), so I recommend trying the first bullet point. :)

As for the problem with case-sensitivity, unv, one of the launcher devs, has fixed the problem, they just need to push the launcher update (When they decide its ready of course), so it shouldn't happen again.

iceDave

Jul 29, 2019
Same happens to me, no awnser back yet what i can do to get it run again.. i had over 200+ hrs gameplay on my server plus my friend was on the server as well... all blocks wiped out. Nor Error message and no YES / NO screen after i loged in.. wtf happens here? I could start crying like a baby.. :(.. sorting machine, research of all ThaumCraft items done.. big house and storage (40-50 barrels).. everything whiped out.. only holes and empthy spaces left. I can still build blocks and place them but all the old once what i placed before the update are not there anymore.... Yes i did a backup, thats why i am asking for help because i tried it couple times to get it run and nothing helped...

If you read a few pages back, you will see that the problem is solved by renaming FTB/Direwolf20/instMods/minecraftforge.zip to MinecraftForge.zip .
I wish they would just fix this in the mod pack itself though. Seems like just a small change...
This is not any usefull for windows .. i tried it and it makes no diffrence at all...

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Same happens to me, no awnser back yet what i can do to get it run again.. i had over 200+ hrs gameplay on my server plus my friend was on the server as well... all blocks wiped out. Nor Error message and no YES / NO screen after i loged in.. wtf happens here? I could start crying like a baby.. :(.. sorting machine, research of all ThaumCraft items done.. big house and storage (40-50 barrels).. everything whiped out.. only holes and empthy spaces left. I can still build blocks and place them but all the old once what i placed before the update are not there anymore.... Yes i did a backup, thats why i am asking for help because i tried it couple times to get it run and nothing helped...
Well, if you have a backup, why not use the backup (Copy the backup folder, not move it)?

Edit: Check the modpack folder, and go to the instmods folder and rename minecraftforge.zip to MinecraftForge.zip to reinstall the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.