FTB News - March 20th, 2015

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
How do you download it if you dont "prove" you own minecraft.

So i take it the client doesnt use your MC name. I wish it did.
Anyone can download Minecraft, you just can't play until you log in once you've downloaded it.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone can download Minecraft, you just can't play until you log in once you've downloaded it.

More a reply to the person you quoted. Mojang in the past has asked all mod pack launchers to not incorporate your Mojang logins as part of their apps. We're architected this way because we agree that this is best for the end users security.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Brilliant! I fully expect that feature to be removed, however, when their support forums start blowing up from people not being able to use whatever mod because dependencies/conflicts and such.

Considering I am the support... nope. Mod authors can set the dependencies (most do) and the client autodownloads. They can also set known incompatibilities, and the client will warn you if you are installing to mods that have a conflict.

Reactions: Bagman817

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Okay this is a huge complaint:

Don't stalk me.

I really dislike the Online (Dota 2) thingy bellow my name.

I have no friends in the curse friends, but I belive that if I had they would be able to see that I'm playing / doing stuff. I really don't like that.
At least you gave my a options to NOT import my steam friends...

GO under settings, Friend Sync,toggle eveything you don't want showing to "off" or "remove"

Barclay Jeffreys

Jul 29, 2019
Jaded, just a quick question because i have been longing to play AS2 and MF3 forever... I have been super pumped for them, but I recently found out that they are only available for curse voice, so I can't play them! :( (I have a macbook pro). So my question is, do you intend to add AS2 and MF3 to any other launcher?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This client is so bad - it should be used only to download modpacks to use in other launchers...
You can't even set max memory to more than 6 Gb using it - and it always overrides additional java parameters you set in minecraft launcher it starts after pressing "play". So if you want more than 6 Gb, you have to set it in minecraft launcher every time you want to play a modpack.

Burn this Curse launcher. Really.

Anyone allocating more than 4GB deserves every bit of difficulty they will have.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't think I like it. I can't take out the mods that I don't like... Unless there's something I'm overlooking?
I don't know.

Yes, you can edit modpacks. Direwolf20 should have a video up by the end of the weekend according to his tweets but I'm not holding my breath as I know he travelled cross-country all day Saturday and got in late.

If you aren't the type to read or play around with software features on your own I'd suggest waiting a bit.

Reactions: Barclay Jeffreys

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The vast majority of the time that i see "..." it means more detail. I have NEVER seen it used as an options or setup button with the exception of some installers where "..." is next to filepath entries and means to manually select the filepath. Options or setup buttons are usually either a gear or wrench icon.

I have no idea what programs you are using that have "..." as the options/setup button.

I have to agree with this. In 40 or so years I have never seen "..." used as a settings icon. I come from the command line era, before Icons or graphics on personal computers for that matter existed. Changing settings, or "Options" as they were called then, was a simple forward-slash "/" such as "Command /Option1 /Option2" etc.

Had I not seen a tweet indicating the function of the "..." button the day this loader was made available I might have mossed it, but as a long time tester of unreleased software I'm betting I would have found it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

EndlessFields

Jul 29, 2019
@Kaelten how is Curse making money on this? I'm guessing there will have to be some way for Curse to pay for the development of this platform. I know curse.com has ads but this client seems to make it unnecessary to even visit the website. The old phrase of "if the product is free, then you are the product" comes to mind. I don't mind gaming companies and/or modpack/mod authors making money for the work they do but I do like to know how that is being done. Can you speak more on this to clarify things?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Considering I am the support... nope. Mod authors can set the dependencies (most do) and the client autodownloads. They can also set known incompatibilities, and the client will warn you if you are installing to mods that have a conflict.
Hey, if you can get it to work so it automatically does all that, then you have (for me, anyway) a feature that far outweighs any of the minor complaints I have so far. Since it came out, I've been using FTB to download kitchen sink packs as a base of my own packs, simply so I didn't have to go to 100+ different websites and download everything individually. This will be a huge time saver for me =)
Side note: can't wait for AS2. Sounds quite evil.

Bennyboo19

Jul 29, 2019
Is a Mac launcher being planned or in the works? I don't like installing Wine. Especially for one program that might not work with it. Thanks.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Is a Mac launcher being planned or in the works? I don't like installing Wine. Especially for one program that might not work with it. Thanks.

As stated in the first post, it's coming out later this year.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Jaded, just a quick question because i have been longing to play AS2 and MF3 forever... I have been super pumped for them, but I recently found out that they are only available for curse voice, so I can't play them! :( (I have a macbook pro). So my question is, do you intend to add AS2 and MF3 to any other launcher?

I put links to MF3 zip downloads here: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/for...vest/776-magic-farm-3-discussion-not-for-bugs

AS2 won't be available till I get a couple major issues resolved.

Bob41599

Jul 29, 2019
@Kaelten I was thinking like how the ftb launcher acts when you click add mod it gives you places to import the mod directly in the launcher.

Miranda

Jul 29, 2019
GO under settings, Friend Sync,toggle eveything you don't want showing to "off" or "remove"

I'm not talking about import my 'friend list' (which I didn't).
I'm talking about having the Curse client open and then start playing, for instance, Dota 2. A game on Steam.

I says, below my user name, that I'm playing Dota 2. It never asked me if I want to show that or not. And there's no option to remove Dota 2 from there.

I have declined all friend sync options. Still there it is, broadcasting what I'm doing/playing.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    473.3 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
@Kaelten how is Curse making money on this? I'm guessing there will have to be some way for Curse to pay for the development of this platform. I know curse.com has ads but this client seems to make it unnecessary to even visit the website. The old phrase of "if the product is free, then you are the product" comes to mind. I don't mind gaming companies and/or modpack/mod authors making money for the work they do but I do like to know how that is being done. Can you speak more on this to clarify things?

We're going to be introducing premium features over time that will have a charge of some sort associated with them. We like the idea of being able to support the platform by adding value people are willing to pay for rather than having our user base be a product.

BUT what you see as free today will always be free, there is no bait and switch.

Yes. And don't bother with Wine, it won't work. :(

@Kaelten I was thinking like how the ftb launcher acts when you click add mod it gives you places to import the mod directly in the launcher.

Do you really think there's something to be had by the add mod button as opposed to just dropping that in the mod folder? :/

I'm not talking about import my 'friend list' (which I didn't).
I'm talking about having the Curse client open and then start playing, for instance, Dota 2. A game on Steam.

I says, below my user name, that I'm playing Dota 2. It never asked me if I want to show that or not. And there's no option to remove Dota 2 from there.

I have declined all friend sync options. Still there it is, broadcasting what I'm doing/playing.

Go check my posts on the last page or two, there's a screenshot of how to disable that. :)

Miranda

Jul 29, 2019
Ack first we've heard of that. We'll investigate and get a fix in for you.

Nope just giving you a stop gap until we have a better fix in. :)

BUT... I just found the setting that I swore was there anyway! It's kinda hidden (which I'm going to give more feedback on) but you can go to Settings -> General -> Advanced and uncheck it.

zQ-1PewV1ILu90OzADI-g7ZS1Zvvmu6MdbUSRSxRhHc

I actually appreciate the feedback. You're being constructive if strongly spoken at times, but that's ok. :)

I like the feature idea, and will submit it. No ETA though. :)

Unfortunately I don't even know if that's possible with the client... :/

Are you talking abou this post?
Because I can't see the image here.

edit: but I can read ._. I successfully disabled it.

Last edited: