[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you typed that properly, then you've actually experienced the exact opposite of my situation. I did NOT enable cheats in my "real" world, and dead wood is everywhere, but in my "test" world, I DID enable cheats and no dead wood showed up for hundreds of blocks.

Hey, if you've got Dead Wood, then go for it! I don't know why enabling cheats should change anything, but that was just my theory based on my experience.

Just adding to this a bit. On my second run I tried out a few random seeds (so I could start off not too far from an ocean) and on a few occasions, worlds had no trees/slate in the immediate vicinity. After running around a little, it seemed like they did appear, but just outside the render distance as compared to my spawn position. I also had cheats turned on.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Chickens need wheat seeds to breed if I'm recalling correctly... unfortunately, with Agricraft, wheat does not drop extra seeds - so I'm having to grow a plot of wheat solely so I can break it all down when it matures and get the seeds... a very slow process (altho my seeds are all 10's which does help somewhat). I sure hope I don't need a lot of chickens/eggs/feathers because this process isn't very efficient. Gotta place double crops, wait for wheat to grow, then break everything and repeat, just to get a meager amount of seeds.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Chickens need wheat seeds to breed if I'm recalling correctly... unfortunately, with Agricraft, wheat does not drop extra seeds - so I'm having to grow a plot of wheat solely so I can break it all down when it matures and get the seeds... a very slow process (altho my seeds are all 10's which does help somewhat). I sure hope I don't need a lot of chickens/eggs/feathers because this process isn't very efficient. Gotta place double crops, wait for wheat to grow, then break everything and repeat, just to get a meager amount of seeds.
For what its worth, you only need the wheat to get started, it doesn't need to mature. If your field is large enough, you can get rivers of seeds coming in constantly.

That said, I have no idea how people are auto-harvesting yet. I'm still early game too.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

Botania adds the feature where some mobs, including chickens, drop their loot without dying. So you can do the 'chicken in a box above a hopper' and wait for feathers to appear :)

Reactions: Pyure

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
For what its worth, you only need the wheat to get started, it doesn't need to mature. If your field is large enough, you can get rivers of seeds coming in constantly.

That said, I have no idea how people are auto-harvesting yet. I'm still early game too.

I saw @PurpleMentat used a (netherrack) scythe to harvest crops - definitely a good idea early game (he also had a mana-powered hopperhock but that's something that can come later).

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
As far as chickens go… once you have your first 2-4 chickens, you're done unless you prefer a diet of chickens… Place a hopperhock near the chickens and let it collect the feathers and eggs… I'm at the point now where I am beginning the assembly of my AE system and I've used less than 4 stacks of eggs or feathers. Mostly for my runes. Even a single chicken caged on a hopper is all you really need.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Botania adds the feature where some mobs, including chickens, drop their loot without dying. So you can do the 'chicken in a box above a hopper' and wait for feathers to appear :)
Didn't know this was a thing :p

I saw @PurpleMentat used a (netherrack) scythe to harvest crops - definitely a good idea early game (he also had a mana-powered hopperhock but that's something that can come later).
Do you have to replant after harvest?

Also: didn't really know hopperhock was a thing.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

The scythe just harvests the essences (or carrots, wheat etc) and leaves the crop-sticks and seeds in place.

The hopper does require mana to gather from a reasonable distance. Without mana it'll pick up from only close by (not sure how close though).

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
As far as chickens go… once you have your first 2-4 chickens, you're done unless you prefer a diet of chickens… Place a hopperhock near the chickens and let it collect the feathers and eggs… I'm at the point now where I am beginning the assembly of my AE system and I've used less than 4 stacks of eggs or feathers. Mostly for my runes. Even a single chicken caged on a hopper is all you really need.

Thanks for the tips, I've never done the Botania mod before so all these plants are new to me, but I'm finding this mod to be very useful indeed.

I also don't remember this happening, but I used my eggs to make a few chickens and I just went over there to see how they are doing and there were two feathers just laying on the ground, which is enough to make that last Rune I needed to complete the one quest. So I didn't even have to breed them and kill them to get a feather.

billybricker1

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the TiCon scythe requires the tool forge, so it's not available that early in the game.

DO NOT ACTUALLY BREAK THE CROPS WITH THE TiCon SCYTHE! I noticed when I first crafted it, and then saw PurpleMentat mention it in his video, that you don't get all of the seeds back when you break crops with it. You can just right click with it and I will harvest a 3x3 area.

Reactions: SolManX

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the TiCon scythe requires the tool forge, so it's not available that early in the game.

Yes, of course - forgot about that, but it'll be available once you've got your crucible furnace going.

DO NOT ACTUALLY BREAK THE CROPS WITH THE TiCon SCYTHE! I noticed when I first crafted it, and then saw PurpleMentat mention it in his video, that you don't get all of the seeds back when you break crops with it. You can just right click with it and I will harvest a 3x3 area.

Thanks for reminding me!

Mystara

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean the Mariculture books, they're borked even on default. If you're meaning other books then I have no idea.

Now that you mention it, those are the guilty books.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you are taking an active interest in the feedback on this modpack. It really is a lot of fun so far.

"As soon as" can mean anywhere between instantly and hours. Some of the seeds literally take hours to grow and spread, if the luck isn't on your side.

Multiple seeds however... a few minutes later, you can have about 50% of the seeds ready to harvest. 50% of one seed is, zero. But hey, let's resort to personal attacks instead of actually learning something.

We haven't really experienced this issue. We set a sprinkler system early on and to be honest the seeds grow and spread fast. Between building, beautifying, questing, and exploration; we never run out of things to do while the seeds grow. The biggest issue we have so far is just trying to ensure we don't run out of space to plant new things.

Last edited:

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
The scythe just harvests the essences (or carrots, wheat etc) and leaves the crop-sticks and seeds in place.

The hopper does require mana to gather from a reasonable distance. Without mana it'll pick up from only close by (not sure how close though).
Hopperhock will reach 3 spaces unassisted with mana, Like @PurpleMentat did, put it in the middle of a 5x5 fenced area and it collects everything inside without mana

Reactions: SolManX

Raetac

Jul 29, 2019
I pushed my way through Thaumcraft to get Harvest golems, used a powered hopperhock to collect, emerald/diamond pipes to extract and insert into Autocrafters and lastly a Fill golem to extract out of the Autocrafters to storage. Works a treat =D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I pushed my way through Thaumcraft to get Harvest golems, used a powered hopperhock to collect, emerald/diamond pipes to extract and insert into Autocrafters and lastly a Fill golem to extract out of the Autocrafters to storage. Works a treat =D
Yeah,I was afraid of that.

TC4 is one of those mods that I've never had the patience to sit down and work through. Its way outside of the scope of regrowth to cover, so I didn't really expect it to teach me how to get as far as harvest golems, but that's definitely going to be a big empty void in my knowledge base and ability to work through the pack.

(I'm well aware of how amazing TC4 and its addons are. I use them regularly via my basemates on servers. But I can't make myself spend the 20 minutes to watch a video and learn how to do it myself)

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah,I was afraid of that.

TC4 is one of those mods that I've never had the patience to sit down and work through. Its way outside of the scope of regrowth to cover, so I didn't really expect it to teach me how to get as far as harvest golems, but that's definitely going to be a big empty void in my knowledge base and ability to work through the pack.

(I'm well aware of how amazing TC4 and its addons are. I use them regularly via my basemates on servers. But I can't make myself spend the 20 minutes to watch a video and learn how to do it myself)

@thephoenixlodge has mentioned before that quests for Thaumcraft might come in the future.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
That's ambitious. Its a big mod even if he slices down to specifically relevant stuff. Cool if it happens :)
Just had a quick look back through the thread and a few early quest might even be in 0.7.

I haven't ever really got into Thaumcraft myself so will be a nice way in.

KeepKid

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how to set up a server easily and wants to play together just the 2 of us? ^^ Would really appreciate to have someone to talk to and adventure the mods together. ;)