[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
I know about the 'r' and the 'u' keys in NEI, and they def aren't working for this Essence. Maybe my game is messed up? I left it running while I slept because I tried your serpentine pattern, but it is slower than molasses without sprinklers and Agricarnations. I planted a 1-1-1 Iron seed 9 hours ago and it's only at 3-3-2 with a total of 5 plants in those 9 hours. o_O

Minecraft farming is not time based, it's based on random ticks. To grow things fast, you need to plant multiple seeds, not one seed and wait for it to tick. You plant a lot, and wait for 80% or so to grow, which is very very fast even with 1/1/1 seeds.

You get a total of 3 seeds from the quest, plant them all, leaving room for each to spread. You should have some magic fertilizer left from other quests. Fertilize each seed until its fully grown, and leave them (or make yourself 8 essence as well if you have enough fertilizer, its more than worth it at that point). After a short while come back and see if they have spread, fertilize the new plants etc.

There are also vanilla tricks you can use to speed things up (plant in rows etc). Ignore the horrible advice about planting one seed and mutating it while you go to sleep, you don't need that at all.

RagefaceKurosaki

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft farming is not time based, it's based on random ticks. To grow things fast, you need to plant multiple seeds, not one seed and wait for it to tick. You plant a lot, and wait for 80% or so to grow, which is very very fast even with 1/1/1 seeds.

You get a total of 3 seeds from the quest, plant them all, leaving room for each to spread. You should have some magic fertilizer left from other quests. Fertilize each seed until its fully grown, and leave them (or make yourself 8 essence as well if you have enough fertilizer, its more than worth it at that point). After a short while come back and see if they have spread, fertilize the new plants etc.

There are also vanilla tricks you can use to speed things up (plant in rows etc). Ignore the horrible advice about planting one seed and mutating it while you go to sleep, you don't need that at all.
the one seed is based of agricraft as its best way to get 10's and if you want more essence while waiting for the 10's plant it in a + pattern so theres four chances of mutating every growth tick

Last edited:

Kelmey

Jul 29, 2019

Each to their own. I am one of those who give "horrible" advice. Planting more than one seed is a waste in the long run. And no, it isn't a grind to get to 10/10/10 seeds. You set them up and then do something else because this pack has tons of stuff to do in parallel.

Oh and you should never take the third seed, especially later on. 6 extreme essences is the equivalent to 12 stacks of essence dust. Taking those extreme essence saves you so much time.

Reactions: RagefaceKurosaki

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

The only way that the 3-seed-method could be (noticeably) faster than the 1-seed-method (to get 10/10/10 seeds) is if you break all of the seeds in the 3-seed-method everytime you get a new seed, and then replant only the three best seeds out of that.

Planting one seed in a strip might take longer to get going (as you said RNG growth ticks on three plants better than one) but the one-seed-method is much less maintenance and gives more time to do other things.

The 3-seed-method does have one distinct advantage though, in that you can get 3x essence earlier.

Anyway, there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using both methods, I have a 9x9 area where I plant a seed and just let it take over the entire 80 block area (I have a static water source block in the exact center), then I have the 7x7 "Serpentines" with Agricraft Sprinklers.

There is no bad advice here, it's all good. And the whole bit about "going to bed and let them mutate" was my own idea - why shut the computer off when it can be working all night long? :D

Both methods are working very well - it's sort like the concept of "critical mass" - once I achieved the critical mass point of having iron, now I can make sprinklers and wow does that make a huge difference in speed. I think the Serpentine method is now working faster than my 9x9 area is, even tho the 9x9 gives each seed multiple locations to multiply and the Serpentine only gives one location.

I ask a lot of questions, but I also do my own experimenting based on all the information I have at that time. This is what I love about Minecrafting as opposed to other games.

The only way that the 3-seed-method could be (noticeably) faster than the 1-seed-method (to get 10/10/10 seeds) is if you break all of the seeds in the 3-seed-method everytime you get a new seed, and then replant only the three best seeds out of that.

Yep, that is exactly what I've been concluding this morning. Well said SolMan.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I have limited internet and use MultiMC, where I run Agrarian, and Crash Landing well. I discovered Regrowth last night and really want to play it. Regrowth is extremely leggy. From the title screen, all the way into the game. I click on the game I want to play and have to wait for it to highlight, punching trees is torture. I can play it fine through the FTB launcher, but cannot be on line. I am using the same MultiMC setup as all the other packs.

Anyone else running this on MultiMC?
Any ideas on how to fix it?

I also use MUltiMC for everything else, but went back to the FTB launcher (EDIT: just for Regrowth) after reading @Avalonzo's advice. Just type MultiMC into the search box and choose 'Search this thread only' to find it. Worth trying everything he mentions.

Last edited:

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
<snip>Ignore the horrible advice about planting one seed and mutating it while you go to sleep, you don't need that at all.

As others said, there is more than one way to get from there to here… the string method that still currently works is a great method of set and forget, allowing multiple simultaneous projects, or yes, even get stuff done while you sleep. YES you can get 10,10,10 faster if you choose to focus on that one or two crops. Personally, grinding 10,10,10 by babysitting the project, is way too grindy for me. I have other projects to do, quests to complete, and mods to explore.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh and you should never take the third seed, especially later on. 6 extreme essences is the equivalent to 12 stacks of essence dust. Taking those extreme essence saves you so much time.

Fair enough, but I've already got 40 stacks of Weak Essence, so to take 5 of them as a quest reward just makes me laugh - the extra seed doesn't really do me much good either, I only need 2 seeds, one at each end of the Serpentine (or Double-U) shape.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Something odd has happened... I have 3 Agricraft Sprinkler setups, and I had to keep filling them manually, at a reasonably steady pace. So I took a break to eat lunch, and when I came back, every one of my Wooden Water Tanks is completely full!! But they've been running the entire time I was away from the computer, so they should have been almost empty!! I'm certainly not complaining, but I'm curious what is going on... and I think I just figured it out as I'm typing.

When I got back from lunch, the sky was dark, like it was raining... but since we're in a Wasteland biome, no rain falls... but it seems pretty obvious that the Water Tanks were filling up as if it was raining! That's clearly gotta be some kind of bug, but it's a nice one if so.

Mystara

Jul 29, 2019
My lovely fiance and I have been playing Regrowth for quite some time now and I wanted to give a bit of feedback. These are just my opinions, please do not take them as demands.

To begin we are not playing HQM. We are playing regular survival mode with questing enabled. To be fair, neither one of us has died as of yet. We have a completely secure (barring enderman and the occasional ent) base. We have reached about the mid point of the quests, give or take a few. We are not new Minecraft players, but we are new to some of these mods. All of the following should be taken as if from the viewpoint of someone who has never before played the mod.

• When the player is introduced to the altar, the quest text is very general. We spent a good 20 minutes trying to find out how to actually get the seed from the altar after the first time we created it. The text should state somewhere that a block of living stone needs to be tossed upon the altar and then the wand used to complete the process.
  • Several of the quests are clearly designed to "get you started". It would be nice if there was some followup text after completing the quest. For example, with the smeltery I still needed 16 more bricks to build the actual smelter. The quest left me with a lot of pieces that were ultimately useless until I did more on my own. Witchery is another that feels somewhat incomplete, though we haven't unlocked a lot of the quests on that line as of yet.
  • Getting upgraded tools feels like a huge accomplishment, don't change this.
  • In JABBA you left click a barrel to get a full stack, and shift left click to get a single item. In Storage Drawers you left click to get a single item and shift left click to get a full stack. Would be nice if this could work the same for both.
  • There are multiple inventory screens for the player's worn equipment. Can this be consolidated, or perhaps duplicate ones be disabled?
  • We have done massive amounts of farming (loving every minute of it). We later discovered the trowel in Agricraft and its usefulness. This would make an excellent and not overpowered early reward.
  • We delayed making barrel upgrades for one of the JABBA quests because pistons normally require redstone. Perhaps text should be included somewhere stating that the recipe does not need redstone.
Finally I'd like to bring up a few potential bugs we have discovered. These may be as designed.

• When using a texture pack other than vanilla, the books do not display modded item images in recipes. They are just blank spaces.
  • Tinker's Construct starting book does not trigger the achievement when opened.
  • The grout recipe has been globally disabled, though grout is still being shown as a craftable object in the book as well as an ingredient for seared stone creation in NEI.
  • When fishing with Mariculture or getting fish on nets, they are 95% already dead. Not sure if this is by design.
  • The fish you obtain in Mariculture in the wasteland biome cannot be bred in that same biome because it is too hot. This mechanic just seems weird to me.

This is a pretty hefty list so far. If you would like, as we continue to play and progress I can come back and post more feedback.

We are having a lot of fun with this modpack thus far. There's a beautiful farm and structure inside our walls. One would never know that on the other side is a wasteland filled with desolation and danger.

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
Something odd has happened... I have 3 Agricraft Sprinkler setups, and I had to keep filling them manually, at a reasonably steady pace. So I took a break to eat lunch, and when I came back, every one of my Wooden Water Tanks is completely full!! But they've been running the entire time I was away from the computer, so they should have been almost empty!! I'm certainly not complaining, but I'm curious what is going on... and I think I just figured it out as I'm typing.

When I got back from lunch, the sky was dark, like it was raining... but since we're in a Wasteland biome, no rain falls... but it seems pretty obvious that the Water Tanks were filling up as if it was raining! That's clearly gotta be some kind of bug, but it's a nice one if so.
Yeah, that happens :)

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Each to their own. I am one of those who give "horrible" advice. Planting more than one seed is a waste in the long run. And no, it isn't a grind to get to 10/10/10 seeds. You set them up and then do something else because this pack has tons of stuff to do in parallel.

One other little thing, you might want to put your second seed in storage somewhere, in case you accidentally chuck *all* of your seeds in the composter. Cough, cough, ahem.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014

This pack has nowhere near enough content to wait until a single seed mutates to 10/10/10, and the horrible advice is telling players to go sleep or something while the plants grow. The moment you get those 3 seeds is not in the long run, it's in the beginning where your quests are stuck until you get iron or copper.

That's where you need actual iron, not 10/10/10 seeds, and that's where you need the 3 seeds (or more if you make more seeds yourself, which is a good idea). If you take them, you won't be stuck on the quests, and you won't feel any grind. You'll be doing your "something else" while growing and farming 3 seeds. If you instead just use one seed, based on some OCD-inspired desire to have 10/10/10 seeds *before* you start using the iron, you'll be waiting so long that you'll get bored with the modpack (you maybe won't, but the guy you gave the horrible advice might).

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
This pack has nowhere near enough content to wait until a single seed mutates to 10/10/10, and the horrible advice is telling players to go sleep or something while the plants grow. The moment you get those 3 seeds is not in the long run, it's in the beginning where your quests are stuck until you get iron or copper.

That's where you need actual iron, not 10/10/10 seeds, and that's where you need the 3 seeds (or more if you make more seeds yourself, which is a good idea). If you take them, you won't be stuck on the quests, and you won't feel any grind. You'll be doing your "something else" while growing and farming 3 seeds. If you instead just use one seed, based on some OCD-inspired desire to have 10/10/10 seeds *before* you start using the iron, you'll be waiting so long that you'll get bored with the modpack (you maybe won't, but the guy you gave the horrible advice might).

advice is advice. if its horrible please give better advice in its place then just criticizing/dissing another persons ways of doing things. he even stated he gives horrible advice*

RagefaceKurosaki

Jul 29, 2019
  • When fishing with Mariculture or getting fish on nets, they are 95% already dead. Not sure if this is by design.
  • The fish you obtain in Mariculture in the wasteland biome cannot be bred in that same biome because it is too hot. This mechanic just seems weird to me.
idk if it is supposed to be like that but it makes sense if you catch a fish in a net it dies and you are supposed to make cooling upgrades for the fish, this makes fish breeding and whatnot somewhat late game unless you try it in the ocean biome i believe

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019

Are you kidding, you can harvest the iron as it becomes 10/10/10 if you realise how Agricraft works. I've tried playing without improving my seeds (because I didn't know how) It was horrible. So slow, that world is gone now, 10/10/10 seeds are the way to go.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

I agree that the 10/10/10 thing is not particularly useful in the early stages, and using 3 seeds gets you more essence earlier, but please remember that what makes you bored won't make others bored.

I've really enjoyed breeding up all of the different seeds (cotton, barley, pumpkins, melons, wheat, etc, all of the flower varieties, all of the botania flowers). Currently I've bred around 70 types of plants and I still have a bundle to go (mainly the mob seeds and the later ore seeds).

Whereas I've seen people basically have one or two plots, I've got 70 :)

I'll try and stick a pic up later when I get a chance.

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019

Are you sure you are playing the same pack as the rest of us? I have been busy non stop, between Witchery, Botania, Building multiple farms, Exploring the Dream, Making Looni-Loot farms, Exploring the oceans, enchanting gear, automating fuel production, and so much more…

In fact I was so impressed with the sheer volume of stuff to do, I goaded Thephoenixlodge into setting up Patreon so I could reward him for his efforts… something I had not done before…

You might want to step back from your "My way is the true way" stance, I don't expect it will be well received here… Or at least remember that many people have different approaches to the game (and pack) based on what they consider fun for themselves...