Your favorite mod, and why?

Geech6

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite mod?

Oh this is a hard one! Just because I'm a prick, I'm going to break the question. YAY CATEGORIES!!!

UTILITY: ALL!!!
Utility mods are the backbone of any modded Minecraft server, I really don't know what I would do without NEI/NEI Plugins/Addons, and InvTweaks, and any minimap with waypoints! I almost forgot WAILA and OPIS!!! Even though they are soo new, they must be included in the list aswell.

WORLD GEN:
This category is one of the best ways to make your world look unique, but it has to be Twilight Forest, with it's dungeons and beautiful scenery, it just flows perfectly.

CONTENT:
Content mods are the bread and butter of what make Modded Minecraft great. So I'm going to go with something that adds a major mechanic to the game. Automation!!! Applied Energistics is the best automation mod out there and it's really easy to set up! It took me half an hour to explain it to a friend, and then I explained RP2's sorting system and it was horribly complicated. AE wins for me...

Applied Energistics is by far my favorite mod overall, hands down, but I still wanted to put catagories down in my post to show that there really should be a way to delineate between major different types of content.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
and then I explained RP2's sorting system and it was horribly complicated.
RP Tubing is really simple. Items find the fastest way to the nearest applicable destination. Of course, this can be CPU Consuming. Let's take an example. We have one chest with a filter pulling from it. There are two other chests on that tubing network. one with a filter leading into it and one that tubes are just leading into. The open chest is farthest.
Chest 1: Cobblestone, Dirt
Filter 2: Cobblestone
CObblestone, when it's pulled from CHest 1, gets sent to CHest 2 because that chest allows for cobble and is closest. Then dirt skips that Chest because it only allows Cobble and goes to the next chest. This is the simplest part of it. and what most people will settle for. Most people won't deal with all the complicated things like Regulators and the non=computer Sortron (WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER THE NAME??).

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
#1: BetterThanWolves
This mod can provide me with months of gameplay and still not get stale. Being the second mod I've played may have something to do with that.

#2: Thaumcraft
Taint. I love the risk-reward system, and I do love finding out the specifics of its mechanics.

#3:Blood Magic
Air Sigil :p

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I can't decide between MFR, Railcraft, Thermal Expansion and Logistics Pipes. They all have a cool take on one of my favourite things to do in the game, making and rationalizing cool item transport systems. The machines some of those mods add are great too. Tinker's Construct is awesome for the tools and it gets even better with extraTiC - I still haven't gotten close to finding out all the best material and modifier combinations. Factorization and Engineer's Toolbox are creeping up on me too :).

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft is definitely my favourite mod, as it's machines look realistic while still maintaining the minecraft 'feel'.

Gregtech is also another favourite of mine, mainly because it adds a lot of interesting tools to work with (centrifuges and electrolyzers are very powerful, and it's probably the first mod I've ever seen that adds Jackhammers.)

Electrodynamics looks promising, but at the moment it just adds worldgen and a couple of half implemented early game machines that don't do anything productive. Once it's complete, though, I'm pretty sure there are going to be only two tech mods you'll ever need - Electrodynamics and Rotarycraft.

I generally prefer mods that encourage you to build things, rather than do everything in a single block. This is the primary reason why I highly dislike Thermal Expansion and Extra Utilities, it just feels tacky and unrealistic when you can pipe bucketfuls of fluid without using any energy, and have what would usually require a whole roomful of pipes and piston circuitry in a single block.

Last edited:

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
RailCraft-For the amount of control it offers you when it comes to rails
Thermal Expansion-Has always been a brilliant mod, got better with Itemducts and Florbs
Engineer's Toolbox-A new like of mine. Haven't done a lot with it but everything I have feels awesome
To be honest though I love all the mods :D

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion 3, Mekanism and Ender IO.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
NEI because god dammit minecraft you have the same amount of in game documentation as you did in alpha. Not everyone can have minecraft-especially modded minecraft- open at the same time as the wiki.

applied energistics because inventory management is the bane of my existence.

Tinkers construct because I like the idea of the smeltery-instead of a magic block that makes bars from cubes you have to melt stuff down and pour it out.

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
I like mods that add multiblocks. Multiblocks are awesome and make the game more realistic. like enzyme said before me a single block that makes infinite water without power is kinda boring. I like the way AE uses multiblocks for things that would seem unrealistic if it was just one block. eg the quantum bridge. i also like blocks that are bigger than one block like galacticraft solar panels and reactorcraft turbines. those are pretty cool as well.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Hhhm, what a hard question...
My tastes have been changing lately and there are a few mods i actually "enjoy" in a sense....

Blood magic: Way did this incredibly, its fun to use, doesnt use many gui's and has its own sense of difficulty.

Forestry: Bees are incredible and really fun to do imo =3 I also love the circular design of Forestry, really good mod.

Xycraft.... I know this is premature, I loved its design and i thought the tanks and stuff were incredible in 1.4. Chickenbones is an incredible coder.

Thermal Expansion 3: Just a fun and really well done mod, great fun to play =3

Yeah... i dont have 1 favourite :p

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
Hhhm, what a hard question...
My tastes have been changing lately and there are a few mods i actually "enjoy" in a sense....

Blood magic: Way did this incredibly, its fun to use, doesnt use many gui's and has its own sense of difficulty.

Forestry: Bees are incredible and really fun to do imo =3 I also love the circular design of Forestry, really good mod.

Xycraft.... I know this is premature, I loved its design and i thought the tanks and stuff were incredible in 1.4. Chickenbones is an incredible coder.

Thermal Expansion 3: Just a fun and really well done mod, great fun to play =3

Yeah... i dont have 1 favourite :p

Chickenbones didn't develop Xycraft.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Chickenbones was involved in the development of Xycraft, along with Soaryn.

As far as xycraft is concerned I am looking forward to it. I know it is being worked on and I am sure it is going to be awesome when it is out. Dose tanks.

Reactions: RedBoss

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Hard to pick just 1 mod. Here is my list of "must-have" mods that not only have outstanding progression, mechanics, and replayability, but when taken together, form a mini-mod-pack:

Forestry + Bees + Trees for resources and effects, among other things
TE3 for processing, power, and transport, among other things
Thaumcraft 4 for pretty much everything else
NEI to tie everything together

Also note that Forestry and TE3 work very well together, and TC4 and Forestry work very well together.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
*facepalms* to say more than others, Chickenbones does all the "complicated" code, the Xynergy, the multiblocks and everything :p
Soaryn has admitted on stream he coudnt/cant do the multiblocks.

Ah. Sorry, I never got into Xycraft that much.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft is the most stylish mod around.

I love multiblock structures, Railcraft Boilers, TiC smelteries, Forestry Alvearys, but my favourite technical mod is Thermal Expansion. I can't play modded minecraft without it, it just feels wrong to me.
I Love the Twilight Forest atmosphere and I find useful and fun utilities mods such as Open Blocks.

I can see the potential of blood magic and engineer's toolbox. We'll see.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta go by category since I can't narrow it down to one.

Tools and things: TiCo of course
Tech: Mekanism and Ender IO. Mek factories are wonderful and EIO conduits are all I use anymore
Magic: Blood Magic, I love it so much it gets my first 2 diamonds on any new world
Utility: Opis/Mapwriter and WAILA

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That's a really tough question, so I guess I'll lump stuff into a few categories

Vanilla stuff:
NEI - My computer can barely handle Minecraft on it's own, let alone looking at wikis while playing

Adventure:
Twilight Forest - the bosses, dungeons, and payoff are just amazing, and great for server play.

Storage:
Iron Chests - something I've always wanted, and great early game before you get AE or something of the like

Processing:
Mekanism - The sounds, the textures, the upgrades, it's all great

Logic and routing:
Railcraft - Using carts and (un)loaders for almost everything can make for very unique, interesting systems, and I love watching carts fly around and know "That thing is doing stuff and things".

Magic:
TC for the system, and AM for the spells

Goofy stuff:
Hats because hats.

And finally, maps:
Mapwriter/Opis - I like being able to see everything rather than see waypoints

Edit: Forgot aesthetics
Railcraft - I absolutely love the bricks and blocks it adds, especially with Faithful 32x installed

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
Chickenbones was involved in the development of Xycraft, along with Soaryn.

As far as xycraft is concerned I am looking forward to it. I know it is being worked on and I am sure it is going to be awesome when it is out. Dose tanks.
I know it's a dead thread but

You still looking forward to it?