Your favorite mod, and why?

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
Im not sure if there is already a thread for this but i haven't found it yet, so hear we go.

My favorite mod has to be galacticraft. i love everything about it. i like the models, the tiered progression system, and i especially like the new cargo rockets. I don't know why but they are just amazing. Although it can be buggy sometimes it is an awesome mod.

So whats your favorite mod, and why?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
It's too difficult to compare mods that do so many different things.

But if I look at what I miss most when playing vanilla, I'd rank them as follows:

NEI - MUST. KNOW. STUFF.
Inventory Tweaks - It makes my inventories pretty and combines stacks. Precious.
MapWriter - Minimap. Good. Scrollable large map. Better.
Tinkers Construct - Why isn't this in vanilla yet? Hell, why aren't ALL these in vanilla yet?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Im not sure if there is already a thread for this but i haven't found it yet, so hear we go.

My favorite mod has to be galacticraft. i love everything about it. i like the models, the tiered progression system, and i especially like the new cargo rockets. I don't know why but they are just amazing. Although it can be buggy sometimes it is an awesome mod.

So whats your favorite mod, and why?

it's quite difficult to name my favorite mod, as the mods constantly change, new ones get released, old ones get junked etcetcetc
at the moment, I'd have to say my favorite is probably Thaumcraft 4 for magical mod and Mekanism for techinical mods

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
DivineRPG. In 1.4 my friend had so much fun on the Void's Wrath modpack. It simply was a lot of fun. I even added it into my Ultimate modpack. I think that when it updates it should be in most modpacks despite it's adventure theme.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well first of I havent really played any of the 1.6 stuff yet and I have no clue or interest in making my own modpack. So experience is limited to that of the pre 1.6 FTB packs.

I cant really mention just one mod that is my favourite, but I will mention a few:

Forestry+Binnies(ExB, ExT etc). Technically not one mod, but they work that well as a whole that I consider them as the same thing. I just love how detailed, complex and well working it all is. Crops/tree breeding, bees, trees and machines. It just works so well and compliments each other perfectly in my opinion. And it adds(potentially) months of content to the game.

Applied Energistics. While I am not totally fond of the "digitalisation of items and store them on discs", the features and automation possibilities it offers are great. I love being able to access my inventory from every corner of my base and how it easily automates machines and crafting.

EDIT: Forgot ATG, it looks amazing!(thanks for reminding me Birch).

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I have a few..

Tinkers Construct - I love the style this mod has, and the way it takes what is most boring about vanilla, tool making and enchanting, and completely eradicates it with a system that is so undeniably cool!
Mekanism - Love the style, wish it was a little more balanced but can't have everything
ATG - Have you played on an ATG world? My god it's fantastic! So fun!

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I'm personally going to have to go with Thaumcraft. It always looks good and has good solid content.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry and Extra Bees I'm a huge bee fanatic I love bee breeding and I tend to go for the odd bees like the milk bee rather than an emerald bee.

Reactions: rhn

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
One of them for me is probably railcraft. It's balanced very nicely, the textures fit in vanilla yet they look unique at the same time, and all the machines seem, just, right.

Reactions: rhn

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers Construct, easily, highly customisable tools and weapons, orky gubbinz, and soon modular exo-armour, once the armour is in there won't be any use at all for the default enchantment system.

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
I think what makes a mod good is when you use it with other mods. For example carpenters blocks and the chisel mod. those go great together. I also agree with most of you that Tinkers Construct is an am amazing mod. I love the modularity (thats not a word but hey who gives) of the tools and Dee_Twenty also mentioned new armor. I cant wait.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
RedPower2. Absolutely. No exceptions. I love redstone. Especially FORTH computers and amazing tubes that calculate the best route. I loved it so much. Immibis is working on FORTH Computers in RedLogic, thank goodness.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Probably TE3, it's done right, configurable (to an extent), and pleases more than frustrates. Vazkii's NEW (modjam pre-release) one pleases my analytical nature.
Opis is up there, as is TiC and TC4, and EnderIO, Railcraft, meh, I like all of the ones in my private pack :)

Reactions: AlanEsh

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
With so many mods having been played around, it is hard to just pick a favorite one to go with. So, as with all the others, I will list my top 3.

#3: Better Dungeons (AKA Chocolatecraft). This mod adds a series of awesome structures filled with custom mobs that are quite difficult, bosses that are engaging and fun to fight, and unique items that make it worthwhile. The hidden dungeons underground are always a treat, but the real stars of this mod castles generated overworld, which are so cool that it makes you want to live in them after clearing out all of the mobs. This mod gives you plenty to explore, and while wandering through the world, you'll be awe-struck at some of the things you see. Then, terrified of the monsters living inside. This mod can stand alone, and much like twilight forest, I'd suggest it being a standard for most servers.

#2: Rotarycraft. This mod is hard, but boy does it look awesome. The idea of making and transferring mechanical power with rotating axles is awesome, and Rotarycraft adds so many things to do with that power that, arguably, you could run it as a stand alone mod. I wish it had brass coloring, so I could go with the whole steampunk theme. Anyway, by "hard" I mean that, to use this mod, you'll probably have a calculator and a pen/paper next to you to do math while build infrastructure. The power system, while simple to understand, is difficult to handle. My biggest complaint about the mod is that it is unwieldy with how the power works, in the sense that combining and modifying power is cumbersome (most efficient method is to convert to mostly torques with gearboxes which require lubricant, combine in junction which requires speed matching and only combines torques, then convert back to necessary specifications for machines). Second complaint is that it is a bit expensive.

#1: Thaumcraft. This is the mod that, no matter what pack I make or what server I play, always ends up being my main mod. The mod is difficult, and again it is so comprehensive it can be a standalone. The mechanics are fun to explore, discovering research is addictive, and doing so grants me exclusive access to some of the coolest tools and devices any mod has. Many servers have a "thaum expert", and I like being in that role. The difficulty of the mod is a bit of a turn off, and it is for this reason that I liked thaumcraft 3 better than thaumcraft 4, but thaum 4 adds so much more to compensate that it is still awesome. Either way, Thaumcraft feels like an expansion to the entire world of minecraft, instead of just additions like most mods do.

DeathGoth

Jul 29, 2019
I am coming from 147 to 164 and I havent messed with what is new with the mods yet.. I played with TiC for a sec but it seems complicated, I still havent got a smelter going..

I kinda miss xycraft for thier blocks and fabricator.. However I didnt like the make a tank anywhere thing, I used railcraft for that.

I miss redpower cause of the tubes she made..

I like railcraft cause of the awesome tanks, I hear they have bigger tanks if you use steel?

I used SC2 for a tree farm of all the regular trees in minecraft.. massive amounts of logs and saplings it was insane..

I like TE because it is so simple to run your ores and things through the blocks it isnt funny plus you get more ores from pulverizing them..

Thaumcraft... Well the axe of the stream is awesome..

Portal gun.. and TF2 teleporters.. and mystcraft..

And last but not least.. Everyone has to admit they all like IC2 and BC because well they are the grandparents to all these mods..

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
At this point in time my favorite mod for multiplayer is Morph not because it is fairly overpowered atm but because the byplay in multi has made me giggle like a schoolgirl.
Overall my favorite magic mod is TC4 and my favorite "tech" mod would be TE3, there is an argument that TE3 is more magitech but meh none of the actual tech mods do much for me currently and in fact I don't even have them in my pack, when I get bored with this world and do a restart some of the tech mods will make their way in. Rotarycraft and Mekanism will be the two main ones I'll be taking a look at.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
in ftb: thaumcraft, morph, mmmpowersuits, portalgun...
in ssp: enchantview and better anvils
always: forge, reis minimap and inv tweaks

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
My all out favourite mod?
Better Than Wolves
Yeah, the FTB mods are cool too- but I really love the style of automation and total immersion FC has going. The ecology is pretty neat too; predator and prey in an epic fight for survival.

No mod replicates the feeling of playing Better Than Wolves.

Reactions: abculatter_2