Your energy sources ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Depends what mods i've added to the pack tbh.

Starting power - steam or lava dynamos, or Mekanism windmills
Midgame - Rotarycraft engines with rotational dynamos
Endgame - Reactorcraft fission reactors. Eventually I'll get round to building a fusion reactor, but I haven't yet stuck with a world long enough.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds silly when I say that in light of having a water mill setup that generates millions of EU/t, but put it this way: A 1m^2 solar panel in real life at 100% efficiency (which would be crazy in itself when most solar panels can't even crack 20%) would only generate about 1kW of power. 1kW per hour (kWh) is equal to 3600 Joules. Based on the fact that 9.8 Joules can lift 1kg a distance of 1 metre, and the density of stone is about 25,000kg/m^3, you would need a 100% efficient 1m^2 solar panel to run for 68 hours (2.8 days) to accumulate the power required to lift a block of stone 1 metre in Minecraft. You could beat that 100 fold by mining stone with a wooden pickaxe. Anyway I forgot what point I was making, but you know what I mean....
Or you can just compare it to Rotarycraft: The lowest tier engine (DC electric) outputs 1 kW.

I often use lava power early game, but usually not more than two or three magmatics.
In my RoC world I'm using a solar tower into rotational dynamo, producing around 350 RF/t.
In my other world I have a steam boiler fueled by MFR biofuel, going into a Big Reactors turbine for around 8000 RF/t.

Oraia

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can just compare it to Rotarycraft: The lowest tier engine (DC electric) outputs 1 kW.

I often use lava power early game, but usually not more than two or three magmatics.
In my RoC world I'm using a solar tower into rotational dynamo, producing around 350 RF/t.
In my other world I have a steam boiler fueled by MFR biofuel, going into a Big Reactors turbine for around 8000 RF/t.

Mhhh.... I'm thinking of using MFR Biofuel as a mid-game power source . I didn't know that you could put it in a Steam Boiler ! 8000RF/t , what an energy source :)

Oraia

Jul 29, 2019
Oww ok ... FTB Lite 3 is crashing for me at the moment, and I'm waiting for the Tech World 3 Pack . I'll check that later on the wiki, thanks :)

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a chest full of coal block around to spend on it, the high temperature generator could generate 1.5kRF very efficiently (most efficient ?) with then very few coal.

Otherwise, a 3x3 big reactor with 4 rods in the corners and a bucket of ender in the middle is what I suggest. I like this pattern because a single bucket of coolant cover the 5 tile in the middle on all the height of the reactor.

If you play in 1.6.2, you can also try a RoC rock melter to magma dynamo loop. A bit cheaty but quite efficient. It runs on cobblestone...

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Mhhh.... I'm thinking of using MFR Biofuel as a mid-game power source . I didn't know that you could put it in a Steam Boiler ! 8000RF/t , what an energy source :)
With a Big Reactors turbine, keep that in mind.
With steam dynamos you'll get 1440 RF/t.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
There's these rare moments when I find someone more insane than me

Mr Flibble is VERY cross!

flibble.jpg

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well there's a few ways I like to create power...
The boring way: Wind turbines, Solar generators, Steam Boiler/Wood farm combo, Big Reactors... you know, the usual boring stuff....
The Gideon way: Blood dynamos fer dayz
The Jordan way: Oil fabricator (I will come to how it is charged later*), sending oil into a refinery (*), which gets refined and put into a combustion engine, which powers a lava fabricator, which pumps lava into a liquid fueled firebox for a steam boiler (which charges the oil fabricator and the refinery, and can also help charge the lava fab.) and then power your base of the by product of that.... I do it this way as it means I can have oil/fuel for other things too (I use Traincraft whenever possible)

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Oraia

Jul 29, 2019
Well if I really want to produce power I could always make a fusion reactor from RoC ... But yeah.... That's a bit hard xD
Mhhhh, Im thinking of using BioFuel like ljfa said !

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Torture villagers in well of suffering, use LP to maintain Lava crystal thingummies, use lava crystal thingummies to power base.

Base literally runs on tears of the weak :)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well if I really want to produce power I could always make a fusion reactor from RoC ... But yeah.... That's a bit hard xD
Mhhhh, Im thinking of using BioFuel like ljfa said !
Go down the old forestry biofuel route, but instead of using arboretum/logger route, use MFR planter/harvester setup?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My new early-mid game power is redstone. Magic crops grow me redstone. Heated redstone generator uses 10 redstone and a bucket of lava (early game) to make 160rf/t for 2500 seconds (800,000rf). Once I have a magma crucible, 100mb of destabilized redstone gets pumped into the same generator for 320rf/t for 250 seconds (1,600,000rf). Easy to build. Easy to expand.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
My new early-mid game power is redstone. Magic crops grow me redstone. Heated redstone generator uses 10 redstone and a bucket of lava (early game) to make 160rf/t for 2500 seconds (800,000rf). Once I have a magma crucible, 100mb of destabilized redstone gets pumped into the same generator for 320rf/t for 250 seconds (1,600,000rf). Easy to build. Easy to expand.
early game = cullinary generators... if you have natura and TE, you have autonomous activators picking berries off of berry bushes, and sending the items into the cullinary generator

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
In Ultimate, I found an acceptable early game power generation in Factorization solar boilers and Energy Bridges. Though, it requires a wee bit of cheating to get the Factorization Consumer, since it's crafted using an outdated (and thus unobtainable) block.

I tried bringing this to the later-game too, stacking solar boilers above a turbine and putting mirrors in a "bowl" shape surrounding it. With conversion to EU, it required only two bowls (some 500 mirrors, if I'm not mistaken) to produce a steady HV current. Though, a single full-size ring of mirrors and one boiler is sufficient to run a Quarry at near-max speed.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
In Ultimate, I found an acceptable early game power generation in Factorization solar boilers and Energy Bridges. Though, it requires a wee bit of cheating to get the Factorization Consumer, since it's crafted using an outdated (and thus unobtainable) block.

I tried bringing this to the later-game too, stacking solar boilers above a turbine and putting mirrors in a "bowl" shape surrounding it. With conversion to EU, it required only two bowls (some 500 mirrors, if I'm not mistaken) to produce a steady HV current. Though, a single full-size ring of mirrors and one boiler is sufficient to run a Quarry at near-max speed.
Factorization *pukes* a pretty pointless mod nowadays if you ask me... What does it add that's unique? Barrels; JABBA is better in almost every way, Ore Tripling; Mekanism has quadrupling IIRC... Power Gen; Almost every mod had their own ways to do stuff, I find factorization to be more hassle than it's worth :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization *pukes* a pretty pointless mod nowadays if you ask me... What does it add that's unique? Barrels; JABBA is better in almost every way, Ore Tripling; Mekanism has quadrupling IIRC... Power Gen; Almost every mod had their own ways to do stuff, I find factorization to be more hassle than it's worth :p
Useful =/= fun, and being "outclassed" by other mods doesn't mean it's a bad mod... The things you listed are with mods I never use :p

Reactions: E_DM_B