Your energy sources ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Exquisitus

Jul 29, 2019
I have almost always use foresty to my advantage and done biofuel with boilers... absolutely love them!

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I have almost always use foresty to my advantage and done biofuel with boilers... absolutely love them!
The problem I had with that so far is that a normal oak tree farm doesn't produce enough saplings and especially apples (unless I make it very large)
I have yet to breed biomass trees :)

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
A big rack of steam boilers is always fun to use, produce lots of power and allow a massive tree farm to have a use

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactor sending steam 4x 80 Fan Turbines producing approx. 29kRF/t.

Even without an MFR Drill, I was still finding enough Yellorium (and Pitchblende, YAY Ender IO Conversion) to power it.

Maybe I'll try my hand at ReactorCraft next. Hmm...

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactor sending steam 4x 80 Fan Turbines producing approx. 29kRF/t.

Even without an MFR Drill, I was still finding enough Yellorium (and Pitchblende, YAY Ender IO Conversion) to power it.

Maybe I'll try my hand at ReactorCraft next. Hmm...
Personally I prefer just straight up ramping to a 9x9x12 Reactor which generates more power than most turbine set ups

Reactions: madnewmy

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity how much do the turbines cost at that full set up.
858 Iron
334 Graphite
257 Cyanite
334 Nether Quartz
4 Redstone
6 Wood
8 Cobble
1094 Glass
4 Diamonds
37 Enderium Blocks
2 Blutonium

per Turbine. That's also factoring Controller, Fan Blades, Tap, 2 Coolant Ports, Turbine Axis and clear Glass Walls/Ceiling.

EDIT: Doubled Glass. Forgot 2 per Glass. DERP.

EDIT PART 2 (THE SEQUEL): Recalculated Figures for Turbine. Forgot not to cube dimensions. DOUBLE DERP!

Last edited:
Reactions: Evillevi

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
1481 Iron
734 Graphite
457 Cyanite
744 Nether Quartz
4 Redstone
6 Wood
8 Cobble
854 Glass
4 Diamonds
37 Enderium Blocks
2 Blutonium

per Turbine. That's also factoring Controller, Fan Blades, Tap, 2 Coolant Ports, Turbine Axis and clear Glass Walls/Ceiling.

EDIT: Doubled Glass. Forgot 2 per Glass. DERP.
Ya I'm not gonna do that due to OMFG that's a lot of resources. Still for you to do that in survival mode...

Edit: It's the cyanite thats the real killer for me

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Ya I'm not gonna do that due to OMFG that's a lot of resources. Still for you to do that in survival mode...

Edit: It's the cyanite thats the real killer for me

Yeah, Cyanite generation is kind of a drag/grind. Putting up 1 Turbine (which incidentally exceeded the output of the passive reactor) and running the reactor at full tilt (at an efficiency nightmare of ~.337mb/t) sped up the process immensely. 2nd and subsequent Turbines went up faster and then I just throttled back.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You can always build an inefficient reactor for the purpose of getting cyanide, a breeder reactor if you will

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Cyanite generation is kind of a drag/grind. Putting up 1 Turbine (which incidentally exceeded the output of the passive reactor) and running the reactor at full tilt (at an efficiency nightmare of ~.337mb/t) sped up the process immensely. 2nd and subsequent Turbines went up faster and then I just throttled back.
I've got a test reactor with a ~1.3 mb/t It generated it really freaking slowly

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a test reactor with a ~1.3 mb/t It generated it really freaking slowly
That must either be a large breeder or you have your usage configs tweaked. Then again, large in this case is relative (current regular reactor is 13*13*6 with 8 rods in a hollow square, large for me).

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
That must either be a large breeder or you have your usage configs tweaked. Then again, large in this case is relative (current regular reactor is 13*13*6 with 8 rods in a hollow square, large for me).
9*9*13
Using something in an X shape

0xx0xx0
00xxx00
0xx0xx0

Output for everything seems to increase more with height while efficiency seems to increase with With and Breathe of the reactor

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I have 560+ Biofuel reactos generating (does some math.. fails) lots of RF/Tick powering my Mining Laser Farm :)

No idea what i'm going to do with all this stuff...

Need a new project!

-Wuffle

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
If I wanted big bursts of power, then yea, I could just use BigReactors.

But I prefer self sustaining power sources (other than solar, of course).

I always tend to use biorectors from MFR.
Set up a melon farm.
Setup MFR harvester. Use a chest at the output, EnderIO or other pipe of your choice to push melons to a barrel, then line up the barrel, a crafting table, and a transfer node to autocraft the melons into seeds. Output seeds to ender chest.
Set up Bioreactor trees (I run my vertically with EnderIO fluid, energy and item conduits as the 'trunk', surrounding the cable with a 1:1 ratio of BioReactors and Biofuel Gens)
Attach energy cubes and ender chests to the trees.
Attach an ender tank to an infinite water source (best one is from Gany's End - just pop it down next to the tank and bam, infinite water to your ender tanks.)
Place ender tanks under OpenBlocks tanks, dial set to output.
Place sprinklers on top the OB tanks.
You now have faster growing melons than vanilla speed. You *could* use rituals/Thaumcraft/etc to speed up growth, or...

I take all the bones from my cursed earth platform above my blood altar and convert them into bonemeal using transfer node, then send the bonemeal to my sprinklers. Never runs out.

It's great free self sustaining power that takes advantage of both early game woes and also late game excess.
For example - once I start up a tree farm, I will be sending all my excess saplings to the bioreactors, which increases power output (the more variation of bio material you put in them, the more biofuel is produced per item)
The reactors can use up to 8 different item types, so it's a great place to dump excess bio material as you create more farms.
Making paper for Thaumcraft? Send excess reed to the reactors.
Growing wheat for seeds for Botania? Send extra wheat(and seeds) to the reactors.

With AE2, you can setup level emitters to automatically keep X number of seeds/saplings/etc in your ME and send anything above X to the reactors.