Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
The way platfrom works is you put together your pack and host it somewhere, and then put a link to it into platform. The Platform will then generate a URL for you to give to users to put into their launcher, which will download the pack. So really, people's launchers will only be cluttered if they make it cluttered themselves.
If you have any other questions about how it works, feel free to hop into #technic on SynIRC. I, and plenty of other people, will be perfectly willing to answer your questions.

Reactions: Mooseman9

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Technic have the right idea, just not very well executed. From what I can see, people's launchers will be VERY cluttered. Also, as I know this means a lot to people, their permissions system is.... less than stellar.
No, no, no. The Technic Platform's modpacks are basically like the FTB private modpacks, they only show up if you add a specific code. The Platform website is a database of packs that gives you their code (URL).
There is a list of mods that FTB have permissions for. You tick whichever ones you want in your pack, and then any extras you give a link to. If you just use the default mods, your pack is generated and added to the launcher on the spot.
If not, then it is submitted to the team for review.
That's pretty much what I want out of a modpack distribution platform, as well. List of all mods that are compatible and have permissions, tick the ones you want, share the pack configuration freely. Bonus points if it can automatically create a modded server for your customized pack.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
No, no, no. The Technic Platform's modpacks are basically like the FTB private modpacks, they only show up if you add a specific code. The Platform website is a database of packs that gives you their code(URL).
Oh, okay. I just saw that they were distinct modpacks and assumed they would all be in the launcher by default. The problem with permissions remains, but I won't derail this thread anymore.

kolikooo1

Jul 29, 2019
Tekkit with Duncan was interesting right up until I became more knowledgable about tekkit than Duncan...

he was 1 of the first ppl that i watched whit forge mods, before them only mods for me were risugamis modloader more creeps and weardos audio loader and similar 1s. duncan was smart but when i learned forge mods he sudenly became a baby
and after that i watched direwolf20!
The self righteous, ignorant, judgmental and miss informed people on these forums amaze me. The yogscast would do wonders for the FTB pack... Stop being so selfish people.

Tekkit has all permissions, Yogscast have being modding minecraft for a very long time and know more about the history of tekkit and FTB than you will ever know. Judging their fan base as annoying 12 years olds is offensive and missinformed and makes me laugh when it is embedded in a post like this which reads like it was written by a teenager. I very much enjoy the yogscast and look forward to them coming to FTB. Saying they are better than Mindcrack or DW20 is comparing apples to oranges, yogscast are comedians, DW20/mindcrack are serious LPers.

tekkit has permissions? did they finaly ask or did they remove those that need it. (-10 assholnes points for removing, -30 assholnes points for asking for permisions, -50 assholnes points for getting the permisions, -0 if that is a lie)
i havent seen yogscast actualy making a mod only puting them together (yogbox) and instaling em like in yoglabs series, can you give me a link to a mod that they made i want to see what it does and how.
i personaly find some mindcrackers funny AND smart whit mods but direwolf20 is only smart.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
tekkit has permissions? did they finaly ask or did they remove those that need it. (-10 assholnes points for removing, -30 assholnes points for asking for permisions, -50 assholnes points for getting the permisions, -0 if that is a lie)
i havent seen yogscast actualy making a mod only puting them together (yogbox) and instaling em like in yoglabs series, can you give me a link to a mod that they made i want to see what it does and how.
i personaly find some mindcrackers funny AND smart whit mods but direwolf20 is only smart.

Tekkit has all permissions for all their mods, they still dont have forestry, but that understandable to be honest. They have been using mods, not writing them sorry, for the confusion.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Ignoring the latest minor skirmish in The Great Minecraft Permissions War, I always thought that the Yogscast would never touch FTB over Tekkit so I'm surprised to see it happen and the rumour that they're getting an FTB Yogscast pack even.

I know the Yogscast team have strong ties behind the scenes with the Technic team as the leaders of both are all Goons, so I assumed the Yogscast would continue to promote Tekkit and completely disregard the GMPW as they always have. I'm probably still right about the latter, too, but it looks like they're giving FTB a solid shot. That's interesting to see.

As for the effect on FTB itself? Based on what I've seen in the past, it takes an influx of stupid people to properly understand how to idiot-proof your work. The Technic Launcher is pretty idiot-proof at this point (although they keep finding new ways to fail even harder than before!) but the FTB launcher is less mature and still prone to being misunderstood or mishandled on initial use. The community will be fine though, although there will be an initial shock to the system and this forum in particular will definitely get a bit more hardcore with the moderation out of necessity.

In other words? It'll all be fine for everyone except the elitist people who have crappy criteria for their elitism, so relax and enjoy the boost in popularity and attention. :)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I
As for the effect on FTB itself? Based on what I've seen in the past, it takes an influx of stupid people to properly understand how to idiot-proof your work. The Technic Launcher is pretty idiot-proof at this point (although they keep finding new ways to fail even harder than before!) but the FTB launcher is less mature and still prone to being misunderstood or mishandled on initial use. The community will be fine though, although there will be an initial shock to the system and this forum in particular will definitely get a bit more hardcore with the moderation out of necessity.

Their logistics also need work. This last release was not a very good release. Someone pushed an outright bad build, and then shipped a modpack with positively ancient mods and some versions that were known to be broken for days before the build shipped.

This suggests that there isn't a lot of automation or testing for the actual build process right now. I've heard Technic's process can actually vet a build without human intervention for on-start crashes. Until FTB has stuff like that, we're probably in for pain.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that RailCraft has special modpack guidelines as well that prohibit the use of recent releases in a pack for a week after initial release.

"Charmingly" counterproductive and outright unprofessional methodologies like that are the things you have to deal with if you place as much value on appearing legit as the FTB team do. The whole situation with Minecraft modders in general is one I'm generally ambivalent to. They're just lucky they haven't pissed off someone actually dangerous yet, I suppose. Right now it's just firing blanks at phantoms and hurting uninvolved users in the process.

Anyway, no more rambling about that in here. :)

The one thing I've been consistently impressed with in my observations of Goons in various game communities is regardless of what you think about them in particular, their work when they actually commit to something is consistently superb and highly professional, even for fandom products.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seing he state that he won't bother with trying to get RC out of tekkit 1.25, as there is nothing he really can do to stop it. Doesn't exactly mean they have permissions :confused:

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
Did I hear someone saying - "Hey! What is the thoughts/feelings at the other side? How are they taking this?".

Linky linky!

Oh please... don't bother thanking me :p
That's just the kind of guy I am; the one who brings sunshine and butterflies! :D
And the occasional bag of dead chickens... hrrmm.
I can swear I feel a tumor growing when I read a couple of pages. But damn, so funny at the same time. Never get tired of seing cheapshot go mad about slowpoke

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty clear that Technic bluntly didn't care about permissions and the ideology behind that, and frankly I don't blame them. I don't care to get in the argument here as I've said and it would be a long and convoluted post explaining myself thoroughly anyway.

Tekkit Lite and all packs released after it seem to play along with the modding community mainly to keep the peace and probably also because the Goons don't need it anymore for their own ends; they have another pack now which I won't name here that performs the same role Technic was originally designed for - a modpack by Goons for Goons isolated from the wider community - but modders are already aware of it (and raging about, etc.) and the cycle has begun again in a new flavour with new players on the stage.

Regardless, at least by the modding community's popular criteria Tekkit qualifies as "legit" now. This is what should matter at this point. More importantly, unless you happen to be making a mod or building a modpack, this whole debate doesn't actually affect you anyway, isolated incidents or fallout notwithstanding. :)

Reactions: GreenWolf13

kolikooo1

Jul 29, 2019
ehh... yes true. They didn't at first, but CJ eventually gave in.

that sounds interasting, can you give us the source?

permisions and stuff is hard to avoid here since the thread is about ppl that use tekkit but try not to go too far
EDIT: i am a slow typer velotican posted while i was typing

Status
Not open for further replies.