Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

CreepersBestFriend

Jul 29, 2019
That is fine CBF but you said if they play FTB you would stop playing it.
Yeah, I saw the post. If I state more reasons, it may start a flame war, so lets go back to the topic and stay civil. I'll send you a PM stating my other reasons if you would like.

Edit: It has to do more with Cultural reasons.
Edit 2: And no, British people are not inferior or superior to me.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
If Yogscast started playing FTB, I would probably stop playing it. Same thing with Tekkit, I played it a lot, but when they played it, i stopped because I couldn't get their annoying accents out of my head when I played.(And there cheatiness rubbed on to me **Cough EE2 Cough**)
You know Slowpoke101 is from the UK, right? And he likes EE2, heck he built a whole challenge map based on it.

and if they don't know what mod it is? Or if they find the name "mindcrack" cooler than "direwolf20" and then suddenly all the recipies in it are different from the wiki's...

then again, I suppose NEI is everyones best friend at startup
Don't you think if they're coming here for the Yogscast they'll select the pack that says "Yogscast" on it? :p

Reactions: OmegaPython

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
As a British person myself for whom the national humour doesn't come naturally to anyway, it is pretty odd that we have a culture where the more familiar we are with someone the more we insult them and the more vulgar the insults become. It must be very difficult for most foreigners to understand now I think about it. The key concepts at the core of it though are that the ability to self-deprecate yourself and demonstrate humility is valuable - British people generally don't like the especially successful who are openly happy about being successful because of this - and that we also especially value the ability to debate issues freely, which also means we complain a lot about absolutely everything. Complaining about the weather is a national pastime.

Is this what you were referring to? :)

CreepersBestFriend

Jul 29, 2019
You know Slowpoke101 is from the UK, right? And he likes EE2, heck he built a whole challenge map based on it.

Don't you think if they're coming here for the Yogscast they'll select the pack that says "Yogscast" on it? :p
Gonna be honest and say I thought Slow was from Australia. I don't know why I thought that.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
British humour doesn't export well, that's true. :|
our problem? No. Some of the best humour in the world is British; only fools n horses? fawlty towers? humour without having to resort to "f this and c that and curse curse curse curse curse curse curse curse curse!!!!"

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
As a British person myself for whom the national humour doesn't come naturally to anyway, it is pretty odd that we have a culture where the more familiar we are with someone the more we insult them and the more vulgar the insults become. It must be very difficult for most foreigners to understand now I think about it. The key concepts at the core of it though are that the ability to self-deprecate yourself and demonstrate humility is valuable - British people generally don't like the especially successful who are openly happy about being successful because of this - and that we also especially value the ability to debate issues freely, which also means we complain a lot about absolutely everything. Complaining about the weather is a national pastime.

Is this what you were referring to? :)
I have to admit, as an American, its a trait I wish Americans had more often. I thoroughly appreciate British humor, and when people around me misinterpret my humorous intentions as being a jerk, it can be frustrating.

we also especially value the ability to debate issues freely, which also means we complain a lot about absolutely everything.
Funny story; while in a political science class in college, some students expressed distaste for the typically strenuous rhetoric used in politics. Our professor later brought in a video of the British Parliament discussing a heated topic in response. :)

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
our problem? No. Some of the best humour in the world is British; only fools n horses? fawlty towers? humour without having to resort to "f this and c that and curse curse curse curse curse curse curse curse curse!!!!"

I don't think it's grounds to condemn an entire culture, no, especially not my own. However, it is important when dealing with any foreign media to make an effort to understand it in its proper cultural context or you will always get a warped interpretation of the work. That so many people don't do this is the main cause of cultural misunderstanding and getting offended too easily.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
As a person from NZ I can tell you that the dry British wit is much preferable to the overt gaudish one liner humor that the Americans have. Monty Python, need I say more?

And the person who wont play a game cause some youtubers do..... wtf? That is taking it to whole new level of petiness.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
suppose this is where humour and humor actually are different things, rather than just yanks misspelling the word :p

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to be the jerkface here, but these forums are getting worse by the day. I came here to read new posts on the topic listed on the thread listing, not what you all thought about British humor or who is doing what to the wiki and why. Derailing threads can get you warned/banned on some forums for a reason. Please moderate yourselves and respect the topic of a given thread. If you find yourself tempted to banter off topic, find someplace else to do it. We don't need to worry about what the Yognaughts may or may not do to these forums, because we're shitting them up just fine on our own.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Backseat moderating can get you banned even faster on many more forums. ;)

Besides, all of these secondary topics are related to the central topic, even if you yourself lack the lateral thought to realise why this is.

I expressed my concern, as a reader/poster, about what has been going on here recently and suggested some alternatives. There's a rapidly growing trend amongst a handful of regular posters that amounts to, "This topic doesn't interest me, so I'll just derail it." It's rude and it's disrespectful, and I don't have to be a moderator to point that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.