Xycraft Multitanks and Lag.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't understand why Xycraft would 'cause' chunkloading. This decision should be up to the player, not the modmakes.

That explains.
Well, I'm thinking that it's similar to how the cache for mac computers is stored on the ram. Everything runs smoother because you can easily pull processes without having to do a full boot, but after awhile, the cache will fill and the thing that was supposed to make everything faster ended up slowing things down.

Portals keep chunks loaded because it's easier to move into a loaded chunk, it makes sense. Until you have too many loaded chunks, and you find it hard to move at all.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Just checked twitter and now Guude is accusing Xycraft of being broken and suggesting people ban it from their servers. What an ignorant approach to problem resolution. The guy hasn't even reported the supposed issue to Soaryn directly. He expects Slowpoke to be his trouble shooter instead of following the most simple of channels for gaining support. There are people on these forums that have servers doing 10 times more than what's been built on the Mindcrack server and have not duplicated this supposed Xycraft tank issue. To blame one mod for the problem and not pursue a solution without being antagonistic is appalling. I've lost a lot of respect for this guy.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I've lost a bunch of respect for many of the mindcrackers. Even just them asking pretty much anywhere would have helped. People are commenting on their vids about how xycraft isn't the problem now, so I hope to see it addressed soon.

We need a happy topic.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Just checked twitter and now Guude is accusing Xycraft of being broken and suggesting people ban it from their servers. What an ignorant approach to problem resolution. The guy hasn't even reported the supposed issue to Soaryn directly. He expects Slowpoke to be his trouble shooter instead of following the most simple of channels for gaining support. There are people on these forums that have servers doing 10 times more than what's been built on the Mindcrack server and have not duplicated this supposed Xycraft tank issue. To blame one mod for the problem and not pursue a solution without being antagonistic is appalling. I've lost a lot of respect for this guy.

To be fair, I think he has one point of contact with the team who put the modpack together, and he's going to that point of contact for more information. Be aware that people can come out of any conversation with a different impression of what was said from what was actually said. I don't think any of us that aren't directly involved can make snap judgements based on the limited information that we have. I for one am going to wait and see what comes out of this before I start losing respect for anyone involved.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
There probably would be a problem if Xycraft tanks were rapidly unloaded and reloaded- they are large multiblocks and carry fair amounts of data, after all.

However, the problem isn't with Xycraft- just the derpy chunkloading mechanics.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I think there may be some issues when the Xy tanks are between two chunks and one of them becomes unloaded.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, I think he has one point of contact with the team who put the modpack together, and he's going to that point of contact for more information. Be aware that people can come out of any conversation with a different impression of what was said from what was actually said. I don't think any of us that aren't directly involved can make snap judgements based on the limited information that we have. I for one am going to wait and see what comes out of this before I start losing respect for anyone involved.
So telling your viewer base of over 200,000 to ban parts of a mod is acceptable when you have no conclusive evidence? I don't think so. They've been complaining about lag since before xycraft implemented tanks. The only limited information we really can't derive, is what heck these guys expect in terms of game play experience. Do they expect flawless performance with not stuttering, block lag, or other server issues? We just don't know that.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
3 chickens in the water though... Really?

I havent watched their videos for the specifics, but on our sever - yes, chickens in water cause "lag". Same with minecarts. Its the old vanilla sound driver issue and may be client-sided, but it causes the dreaded stutters. Could it be this?

In Bdub's latest video he even says that he's going to avoid ALL XYCraft stuff from now on. Sigh.

XY worldgen -- I asssume those ghastly crystals -- causes real issues in my SSP world.

I would prefer to be able to turn down the world gen of xy ores and remove crystals all together. For our next world, we're going to pre-gen the first thousand square blocks before XYcraft is enabled. ON a personal note, I find its ore gen ugly to the point of distraction :( sorry.

Reactions: zbeeblebrox

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I understand how ugly the ores are, but at least he's changing some of the textures. I used to hate the stuff until it got an update and I could use it for some pretty cool looking builds.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Again its hard to judge these guys.. What they did do fixed the problem.. Just not sure they are understanding what they did... They either got rid of enough stuff to make the problem go away... Which means nothing caused the problem... And all thats going to happen is once they replace the stuff... With more stuff IE different but uses just as much process power they will lag to hell again...

Or there seriously is something wrong with xycraft tanks... I wish they would of said how many they removed.. Most of us have these tanks and no problems.. But like I said earlier it could be one of those things were having 50 tanks does nothing... But add 51 and things start to go down hill... Have 100 and bam... Your deep in the stink hole.

I also know things get derpy when you use chunk loaders... They can even corrupt things.. So once the chunk loaders are removed you still have to deal with the corrupted items.. I know I stopped using chicken chunks for this very reason.

I still have the impression that within a few weeks they will be back in trouble. Just saying..

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I havent watched their videos for the specifics, but on our sever - yes, chickens in water cause "lag". Same with minecarts. Its the old vanilla sound driver issue and may be client-sided, but it causes the dreaded stutters. Could it be this?

The sound causing stuttering is a local lag problem that is fixable by updating the game's sound driver (this problem is also in vanilla and the fix is on the main minecraft forums). Aside from that, flowing water that's being updated (added or removed) can cause a lot of update lag. Flowing lava will ALWAYS cause lag due to fairly constant lighting updates if the chunk is loaded (GregTech's advanced pump was designed to deal with exactly this issue). The more flowing lava there is loaded on the server, the worse it will perform.

Use conveyor belts if you need to move things around like water (only better) and use the advanced pump instead of the regular pump for lava removal. Fill in any already existing flowing lava with sand/gravel/etc.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
I watched GenerikB's video last night and it sounds like after all their troubleshooting the issue was isolated to orphaned chunks. They looked at the sources of those orphans and it sounded like one instance was involving a Xycraft tank. But there are others with tubes across chunk boundaries...etc. I could see why Guude would be against Xycraft after seeing what it logs to file on the tank issue. Any excessive logging will create performance issues, and that could be simple to fix with an option in the config.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I watched GenerikB's video last night and it sounds like after all their troubleshooting the issue was isolated to orphaned chunks. They looked at the sources of those orphans and it sounded like one instance was involving a Xycraft tank. But there are others with tubes across chunk boundaries...etc. I could see why Guude would be against Xycraft after seeing what it logs to file on the tank issue. Any excessive logging will create performance issues, and that could be simple to fix with an option in the config.

Just watched Etho's latest ftb, I got the same impression from his video.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I just watched GB's video and I'm more than ever on the redpower = mindcrack lag side. Everything is automated by redpower on that server...

I'm Very curious to see the TPS before and after someone removed RP from the server and reapplied the chunkloaders always on.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I just watched GB's video and I'm more than ever on the redpower = mindcrack lag side. Everything is automated by redpower on that server...

I'm Very curious to see the TPS before and after someone removed RP from the server and reapplied the chunkloaders always on.

I remember in 1.2.5. that BuildCraft was the worst lagger of all pretty much.

Oh, could you imagine Powerflowers with routers..

Oh.
Oh.
Oh.

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
When they first started their FTB server, a bunch of people decided to try using fillers. That was its own source of hilarious lag hijinks right there. And then there was the Arkas monstrosity, which I don't even think did anything besides create massive lag. Pretty sure that was mainly RP2.

They've had lots of experience with many flavors of lag over there

Reactions: DrRed

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Their RP2 lag isnt anything compared to what was happening with chunks loading and unloading.

Packrats' stupid large array of block breakers and Nebris' wireless redstone ticking away at 50 different things for no reason and his equally silly large array of relay/igneous extrudes probably made the chunk loading issue worse though. I dont think they realize they are not alone on the server. More isnt always better esp in engineering.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Infinitubes are definitely the evolution of redpower tubes. Every input to the "network" is a filter. No timers needed. Nothing holds inventory, and items transport only when there is a recipient.

Unfortunately, Immibis has been telling people to look to AE, so I wonder if he's planning on discontinuing. AE works well with infinitubes but they're not the same thing and fill different roles.
I'm not going to discontinue Infinitubes. I told someone to look at AE before I'd tried AE and found out how it actually works.

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to discontinue Infinitubes. I told someone to look at AE before I'd tried AE and found out how it actually works.

I'm starting to like you even more than KingLemming, partly because of your epic mods but mainly because of your presence on various forums.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

I was going to say "Excellent News", but then remembered its meme meaning.

Good to hear will have to do.