Would you rather play a 1.8.9 modpack or a 1.7.10 modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Coco12570

Jul 29, 2019
Title says it all. I'm part of a third party team and this has been a moderately to severely hindering issue on my decisions on pack creation. I'm curious as to which MC version you prefer your packs to be on.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
1.8.9 sort of, if I played SMP though it would have to be 1.7.10 for stability sake alone.
But I can't resist shiny new stuff.
The tech side of 1.8.9 is severely lacking though at least as far as Unstable pack goes.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Wherever there's RotaryCraft I go
1.8.9 sort of, if I played SMP though it would have to be 1.7.10 for stability sake alone.
But I can't resist shiny new stuff.
The tech side of 1.8.9 is severely lacking though at least as far as Unstable pack goes.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Kinda this and this. I like new stuff. It never really has been about a new version of minecraft as much as it is the newest version of the mods. I like new stuff, and I like modded minecraft. I would like the mods to keep updating, or for new mods to come a long that are also nice. Just as long as their are always new things to explore.

I have seen some awesome stuff in all the time I have been playing minecraft (mostly by watching lets plays and streams.) <--- This doesn't really fit in this post. It is staying though. So no worries if you can't figure out what the point of it being here is.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wherever there's RotaryCraft I go
Pretty much this. My choice is, for now, 1.7.10. Its where most of the stable mods are and where the most mods are in general. When that shift occurs, I'll shift with it, just like I did when shifting from 1.5 to 1.6, and from 1.6 to 1.7. I play modded MC for content, new features are secondary. If I don't have enough things to occupy me, turnaround on worlds is unacceptably high, even for SSP. I have (unmedicated) ADHD, so my focus shifts a lot. Having a big pack makes it so I don't get bored easily.

Reactions: LunariusH

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
1.8.9 definitely. 2 years of "same-ol' same-ol' " makes me not that interested in playing, and apparently has affected many streamers/YouTubers the same way.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
1.8.9 definitely. 2 years of "same-ol' same-ol' " makes me not that interested in playing, and apparently has affected many streamers/YouTubers the same way.

I don't take YouTubers or streamers as being an indication of anything. Any of those without an active world/project (and a few who do) will jump at the chance to be in early on the 1.8 bandwagon, just so they can scrounge up a few extra subs from the curious.

Let's not kid ourselves - a version change to Vanilla MC isn't really news. The mod scene in that version is where the content lies, and as of yet, not enough content exists to draw most away from 1.7. Throw in the fact that most of the 1.8 content is just ports from 1.7 and nothing actually new (exceptions exist, of course), and you just have the "same ol', same ol'" in an instance with fewer options.

For now.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'll stay on 1.7.10 a bit longer. I prefer to build instead of having the shinny new TC5 or TiC. Even though I'm "endgame" for the tech/magic in my current mod pack. There are still things to do, places to see and things to build. I'll stress that last part. Things to build this is really what the game is about. I've seen to many players just rush through the tech/magic trees and in a few weeks of play just disappear until I do a server reset.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I don't take YouTubers or streamers as being an indication of anything. Any of those without an active world/project (and a few who do) will jump at the chance to be in early on the 1.8 bandwagon, just so they can scrounge up a few extra subs from the curious.

Let's not kid ourselves - a version change to Vanilla MC isn't really news. The mod scene in that version is where the content lies, and as of yet, not enough content exists to draw most away from 1.7. Throw in the fact that most of the 1.8 content is just ports from 1.7 and nothing actually new (exceptions exist, of course), and you just have the "same ol', same ol'" in an instance with fewer options.

For now.

At this moment there are at least three major new mods in 1.8.9. And with major I mean mods that are likely to come up in most modpacks and will have a profound effect on the modding community:

• Chisel & Bits
  • Intangible
  • Psi
I have no doubt more mods will soon follow

Reactions: Hambeau

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I'll stay on 1.7.10 a bit longer. I prefer to build instead of having the shinny new TC5 or TiC. Even though I'm "endgame" for the tech/magic in my current mod pack. There are still things to do, places to see and things to build. I'll stress that last part. Things to build this is really what the game is about. I've seen to many players just rush through the tech/magic trees and in a few weeks of play just disappear until I do a server reset.
but server resets are so nice :) . Ive actually enjoyed getting to the end game stuff and building different contraptions and aesthetics. Would be nice if people were more active tho

Really? At the very least Chisel & Bits is amazing for someone who likes to make pretty bases. It is like Forge Microblocks but much more flexible
Chisel and Bits mod is really cool, the stuff you can do is amazing like have half a wood block and the other half stone brick or some other combo. Just hope performance isnt sacrificed

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
but server resets are so nice :) . Ive actually enjoyed getting to the end game stuff and building different contraptions and aesthetics. Would be nice if people were more active tho

Chisel and Bits mod is really cool, the stuff you can do is amazing like have half a wood block and the other half stone brick or some other combo. Just hope performance isnt sacrificed

Rest assured. The performance of Chisel & Bits is excellent. I have seen people make entire bases out of them without a noticable fps drop

Reactions: Dkittrell