Would you rather play a 1.8.9 modpack or a 1.7.10 modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully those devs can make a quick jump from 1.7.10 to 1.9.
Not sure if it works like that for MC modding. But sometimes holding off doesn't save you time. Especially when there's learning involved, learn the new stuff as fast as possible as soon as possible.
I hope those devs holding off are at least tinkering with 1.8.9. Sure they don't need to release anything.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
From what I had gathered, much of the resistance to mod for 1.8 went away as updates were made that made modding for the version easier (less pain in the ass, really). Many of the devs who originally stated they would skip 1.8 entirely have since begun working on a new version since, and some (Azanor with TC, for instance) already put out new content.

As Forge is continually developing and making things easier for modders, more modders will make the switch. Sure, some will try to skip to 1.9, and others will call it quits completely. Some who walked away may even come out the woodwork and bring us something new or updated. But devs will see a shift in player base and move in step, if they don't decide to lead the charge that draws those players forward in the first place.

As has happened before, the scene will change as things move forward. Just look how much impact the delay of Thermal Dynamics impacted 1.7. People were forced to find new solutions to their problems, which even @King Lemming has stated was good for the modding scene as a whole. Some people didn't like it. Some people discovered mods they now "can't live without". But the fact that some mods will disappear (if only temporarily) will only strengthen the community. If nothing else, it inspires some others to try their hand at coding their own solutions.

No mod is immortal, nor should they be. Empires rise and fall, and new empires rise from the ruins. Be happy that you have the option to play in the past if you're unhappy with the future.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
The ecosystem of mods changes every version, there's no need to force it. A lot of people have no interest in updating to 1.8, and the few new mods just aren't worth it for those like me.
However, unless the 1.9 update gets as much resistance as the 1.8 update, 1.8.9 is going to be short lived. Which, honestly will be nice, considering the number of developers saying they are holding off for 1.9.

1.9 may be around the corner but 1.9 Forge isn't so it will still take a while

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
1.9 may be around the corner but 1.9 Forge isn't so it will still take a while
I practicably guarantee they have a Forge working for the current snapshot, and the release won't change very much. People say that there was a lot of push back on 1.8, but y'all are shoving back 1.9. It's ok for 1.8 to be short lived. It really is.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I practicably guarantee they have a Forge working for the current snapshot, and the release won't change very much. People say that there was a lot of push back on 1.8, but y'all are shoving back 1.9. It's ok for 1.8 to be short lived. It really is.
True, I also keep hearing that the changes under the hood aren't that different from a modding standpoint. It's not the huge change like 1.7.10 to 1.8.9.
There's just performance tweaks right?
Of course don't really know if any of that's true. Not a modder or a programmer.

Reactions: RedBoss

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
True, I also keep hearing that the changes under the hood aren't that different from a modding standpoint. It's not the huge change like 1.7.10 to 1.8.9.
There's just performance tweaks right?
Of course don't really know if any of that's true. Not a modder or a programmer.

Well, whichever way you slice it, the effort to go to 1.9 from 1.7.10 will be greater than the effort to go to 1.8.9

Reactions: Hambeau and McJty

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
A choice of learn now or learn later I guess.

Actually not really. It is much easier to upgrade in 'smaller' steps (1.7.10 -> 1.8.9 -> 1.9.0) then doing it in one bigger step. It is just less things to tackle at once.

Reactions: GreenZombie

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Well one thing that's getting "assumed" in the update debate, is that devs who aren't focused on releasing for 1.8 are NOT working on updates at all. No one knows the answer to what those folks are working on, but when you put that into consideration with their decision to wait, it makes more sense. If you're a dev and you are working with the 1.8.9 stuff and you're convinced that version will be short lived, why release and deal with the issues of supporting yet another version of Minecraft. Why deal with the fact that a year from now you're still going to get bug reports from a version that didn't last too long.

Frame that perspective with the opposition pontificating that 1.8.9 to 1.9.X will be SO much easier. Well if that is true, why bother RELEASING for 1.8.9. They can take their time updating behind the scenes, adjust for 1.9.X, and save headaches. More time is less stress. There's also more time to polish of 1.7.10 since that version is definitely going to be viable for quite a while anyway.

I just see the 1.8.9 arguments skewing towards heavy judgment on the holdouts and that's not cool. Plus it comes off as contradictory at best, to brandish 1.8 as this great version while simultaneously touting that moving from there to 1.9.X will be easy. It sounds like 1.8ers would rather argue that they are right when the holdouts are being proven correct in their position by not only Mojang but the 1.8 crowd themselves.

It's a difference in strategy and no need to argue.

Reactions: RenzosNips

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Actually not really. It is much easier to upgrade in 'smaller' steps (1.7.10 -> 1.8.9 -> 1.9.0) then doing it in one bigger step. It is just less things to tackle at once.
I guess it depends on how you work. Some might like doing things in one big go.
It's probably not efficient but people mod for a hobby.
As you of course know full well.

M

MultiDragon

The answer for me for now is Mekanism, Botania, Agricraft and probably Calculators Mod. I really can't do much without Mek logistical network. They're updating to 1.8/1.9 at the moment, but aren't updated yet, so, 1.7.10.

Last edited:
D

DireChyymeras

1.8.9 is pretty limited tech-wise but it's ideal for a more lightly modded, vanilla styled, medieval kind of pack. oh and theres plenty of magic implemented already :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is the perfect place to put my comment...

I find it kinda sad that I'm more excited these days about VANILLA minecraft than modded... because at least Vanilla is progressing the game with new and (perhaps) interesting stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to put down the modded community, I much prefer modded minecraft over vanilla. Basically, I'm making a statement about my own opinion, and my own level of boredom with the game... and lamenting the fact that modded is seemingly permanently stuck in 1.7.10 era (and yes I fully understand the reasons, making mods is tough but constantly updating them to accomodate and keep current with mojang's changes is far tougher).

tl;dr: Mojang released the first snapshot for v1.10 vanilla today: http://mojang.com/2016/05/minecraft-snapshot-16w20a/

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Can someone draw up a reasonably accurate chart of how long the community has been updating mods for various MC versions? I feel like the 1.7.10 era hasn't been noticeably longer than the 1.6.4 era but I have no justification for that due to my shoddy memory.

I acknowledge that trying to assess the beginning and ending of community usage of a version is a tricky thing to track. I figure something like "when the top 10 mods started/stopped creating updates for a given version" is probably a decent place to start.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well the first Mojang snapshot for 1.8 was released January 9, 2014: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/14w02a

So basically we've haven't seen any of the "new" vanilla features in the modded game for well over two years - we're 28 months behind, and that number obviously just keeps growing with every passing month.

Again, this isn't a complaint per se, just my own lamenting the fact that (omg even I cannot believe it) I decided that playing vanilla today would be more exciting than playing modded. I haven't ever felt this way since I discovered FTB back in the 1.4.7 Ultimate days, I haven't touched vanilla since way back then. I know there are very good, understandable reasons why modded is "stuck" in 1.7.10 right now, it's all Mojang's fault, really. Nothing in our world is perfect, least of all this game... but it's still one of the best we got. :D Violence-based video games are a dime-a-dozen, but non-violence based games are a rare breed indeed.

P

PrometheusUnbound

The only thing I miss from 1.8.9 is the doors. Mods make the fact that it is 1.7.10 irrelevent to me. As someone above said, until the mods all move forward to another version i will stick with 1.7.10.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I decided that playing vanilla today would be more exciting than playing modded.
I don't follow vanilla development. In fact, I've never really played vanilla.

I'm curious, what's so special about the later versions? For myself, I could care less about things like doors and horses and stuff. If there's no machines, no electricity, no magic, there's really no point for me.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

I'm curious, what's so special about the later versions? For myself, I could care less about things like doors and horses and stuff. If there's no machines, no electricity, no magic, there's really no point for me.

From 1.8.9 you have the guardian temples which are pretty fun to try to loot IMHO (they are a challenge).

In 1.9 the end has been revamped a lot with extra islands, a way to fly, a way to respawn the dragon (yes in vanilla) and so on. There is also a new shield slot (off hand slot) in which you can also put torches and other things. Mobs are a bit more intelligent (skeletons). Villagers replant crops now.

I personally like vanilla and I make a point of experimenting with it at every release

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah I hear ya. I keep thinking "need power, need machines"... and then I have to remind myself there aren't any. LOL

Mojang is still good about keeping things kinda mysterious. Their press release today with the changelog for the snapshot was more of a tease than, well, an actual changelog. It was kinda like, "we added some new stuff, go find it and see". LOL

It's just the little things... I love riding in boats, but in 1.7.10, I doubt I have to tell anyone what an exercise in frustration boats are... good lord. It's abysmal. But in 1.10, boats have oars and seem to work much better, with totally different mechanics.

So it all adds up to me beginning to get sick of waiting for us modded players to be able to use these new and improved features of the vanilla game. But... I won't even type my disclaimer again, I've said it enough already. It is what it is. I agree with McJty, I've probably been negligent for not "keeping up" with vanilla's progress.

Reactions: Pyure

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah I hear ya. I keep thinking "need power, need machines"... and then I have to remind myself there aren't any. LOL

Mojang is still good about keeping things kinda mysterious. Their press release today with the changelog for the snapshot was more of a tease than, well, an actual changelog. It was kinda like, "we added some new stuff, go find it and see". LOL

It's just the little things... I love riding in boats, but in 1.7.10, I doubt I have to tell anyone what an exercise in frustration boats are... good lord. It's abysmal. But in 1.10, boats have oars and seem to work much better, with totally different mechanics.

So it all adds up to me beginning to get sick of waiting for us modded players to be able to use these new and improved features of the vanilla game. But... I won't even type my disclaimer again, I've said it enough already. It is what it is. I agree with McJty, I've probably been negligent for not "keeping up" with vanilla's progress.

The new boats arrived in 1.9, but yeah... There are new things in 1.10 but, since this is merely the first snapshot, probably a lot more coming. There's apparently some new enemy in the hotter biomes, new block(s) in the Nether and Polar Bears in the colder areas in this SS.

Someone tweeted about the new Polar Bears but included a picture of a sheep. Lots of good commentary on that one :D