Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
How about Tesla Coils? not the Van de Graff, or the IC2 type of Tesla Coils. I'm thinking C&C type Tesla Coils, would be a fun addition to your offence/defence blocks. It might be good energy sink for this thing.

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
GREAT GOD!!!
tumblr_lxchj2Hd5e1qgacym.gif

I am speechless... Man i will put 100x100 neon sign above my project with your name.

Reactions: gardenapple

Julepalme

Jul 29, 2019
Knowing rotarycraft is would be noisy as all hell and have a million spinning parts.

if it didnt.. sure :D who doesnt like massive power

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Knowing rotarycraft is would be noisy as all hell and have a million spinning parts.

if it didnt.. sure :D who doesnt like massive power
The reactor is in fact silent, though I hope to give it some ambient rumble or something.

How about Tesla Coils? not the Van de Graff, or the IC2 type of Tesla Coils. I'm thinking C&C type Tesla Coils, would be a fun addition to your offence/defence blocks. It might be good energy sink for this thing.
Tesla coils do not draw anywhere near this much power, plus there is the fact of RotaryCraft not having electricity.

BLACK HOLES!
Since we're already going the "Mad Scientist" route, why not?
No, we are going the realism route.

How about using the power for a massive particle accelerator that can make various things? And i know it may be a bit cliche after uu, but energy -> matter is about the only thing i can think off that could realistically take that much power.
This is in theory possible, a "realistic" way of fabricating things like gold.

Alternatively maybe the only way to destroy harmful reactor byproducts would be to spallate (destroy) them inside the accelerator. Then the type of accelerator would have to be a Synchrotron.
Another interesting idea...

Reactions: jokermatt999

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Re: Energy --> Matter

Outside of IC2 UU-matter, the closest to that is the MFR Laser and this thing could power a silly/absurd number of MFR lasers.

As for power transfer limits, does anyone know if the TE3 Tesseract has a transfer limit ? That might be a way around the 10,000 RF/t limit of the Redstone Conduit.

As for *other* ways to use this much power outside of Energy --> Matter, I can't think of a cool thing to do that would not crash the server. In other words, any kind of existing construction system, shield, etc.,. that scales to this much power would probably be too many chunk/block updates per tick for a server to handle.

Edit : A mod-pack author *could* put massive power scaling requirements in place for things like AE, MFFS, ExtraBees machines, MFR Laser, etc.,. to forceencourage someone to build this for progression reasons.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
As for power transfer limits, does anyone know if the TE3 Tesseract has a transfer limit ? That might be a way around the 10,000 RF/t limit of the Redstone Conduit.
My testing indicates otherwise.

As for *other* ways to use this much power outside of Energy --> Matter, I can't think of a cool thing to do that would not crash the server. In other words, any kind of existing construction system, shield, etc.,. that scales to this much power would probably be too many chunk/block updates per tick for a server to handle.
What about things like speeding machines up to 1-tick operation? Also, a lot of such systems do not scale the computational power with the size; the RC forcefield is one such example.

vernes

Jul 29, 2019
There is something wrong with this forum, the textarea for typing your reply is hidden. Anyway, What are those turbine-like things? They look like turbines but without any casing. And there seem to be an aweful lot of blades involved. If they are turbines just add the casing and only show the blades at the fron (and at the back) and skip the middle part you don't see anyways.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There is something wrong with this forum, the textarea for typing your reply is hidden. Anyway, What are those turbine-like things? They look like turbines but without any casing.
That.

And there seem to be an aweful lot of blades involved. If they are turbines just add the casing and only show the blades at the fron (and at the back) and skip the middle part you don't see anyways.
....?

Qris

Jul 29, 2019
Well the problem with particle acceleration as you said, is the fact that you dont have any form of electrical energy. You could just use rotating magnets to generate electrical fields though but that wouldnt be responsive enough I guess...Or just use RF :eek:

By the way im loving the Reactor can't wait for v16 :)

Nyoros

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I can see the usage for something this size and immensity, even without factoring in single machines or mods that may or may not require this level of power. Probably a very small minority that ever consider this, but in an actual Minecraft city (not a bunch of player homes put together but a real-life resembling and functional city that could support dozens if not hundreds of players/imaginary people). Such a thing could use a fusion reactor such as the one displayed as the lifeblood of a city itself provided you had a reliable means to transport and distribute the power accordingly. Probably thinking a bit too optimistically, but like the poll states, I'd use it if in appropriate circumstances.

Also, on aesthetics based Rotarycraft things (albeit not requiring vast amounts of power), and probably not the best place to put them, one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is some new door options, such as the garage door (the ones that roll down/up. Could be lifted/pulled down manually or use engine torque to lift/close) or vault/large reinforced doors (could only be opened/closed by interacting with a sufficiently powered one due its sheer weight). While the same thing could probably be accomplishing using pistons and similar devices, the aesthetics and more compact design would always be welcome in my opinion.

(Love Rotarycraft by the way, thanks for all the hard work you've put into it Reika)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Personally, I can see the usage for something this size and immensity, even without factoring in single machines or mods that may or may not require this level of power. Probably a very small minority that ever consider this, but in an actual Minecraft city (not a bunch of player homes put together but a real-life resembling and functional city that could support dozens if not hundreds of players/imaginary people). Such a thing could use a fusion reactor such as the one displayed as the lifeblood of a city itself provided you had a reliable means to transport and distribute the power accordingly. Probably thinking a bit too optimistically, but like the poll states, I'd use it if in appropriate circumstances.
That is similar one possible use I thought of; because of the cost of building these and extreme power output, it is not inconceivable that a server may wish to make a "communal" fusion reactor in the town or something, and have players who wish to tap into the power supply supply some of the hydrogen fuel.

Also, on aesthetics based Rotarycraft things (albeit not requiring vast amounts of power), and probably not the best place to put them, one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is some new door options, such as the garage door (the ones that roll down/up. Could be lifted/pulled down manually or use engine torque to lift/close) or vault/large reinforced doors (could only be opened/closed by interacting with a sufficiently powered one due its sheer weight). While the same thing could probably be accomplishing using pistons and similar devices, the aesthetics and more compact design would always be welcome in my opinion.

(Love Rotarycraft by the way, thanks for all the hard work you've put into it Reika)
I can probably do that, actually...

Qris

Jul 29, 2019
Nyoros now that you are mentioning it, a multiblock Vault/Armored Door would be interesting, given that you can construct it in a rectangular shape of your need. It would then form into a multiblock frame with door. I guess that wouldn't be too hard to make and a very neat idea, nevertheless. I hate using Drawbridges/Pistons for "doors" since they are kinda lag inducing through so many block updates.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Another idea would be a defense mechanism to deal with meteors from MeteorCraft other than a shield. Maybe preventing spawns in an area instead of letting them crash into your shield. Gamma Ray lasers or something like that.

Reactions: masterzh

vernes

Jul 29, 2019
You only see the turbine blades if you remove the casing of the turbine. Without the casing, a turbine does not function. When you update your turbine model to include the casing, all those polygon eating blades are hidden, except for the ones at the beginning and at the end. You mentioned fps dropping so I thought it would be worth mentioning. When I google for turbines google shows exclusively opened turbine, most likely because everybody thinks turbines are only interresting enough for a photo if you open them up. Your turbine model looks like one of these opened up images. But they are boring and compact when in use (closed).

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to build this device, and have it power the engines of an army of inflatable, flailing arm, flailing tube men.

Seriously, I'd like to build this. A lot.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You only see the turbine blades if you remove the casing of the turbine. Without the casing, a turbine does not function. When you update your turbine model to include the casing, all those polygon eating blades are hidden, except for the ones at the beginning and at the end. You mentioned fps dropping so I thought it would be worth mentioning. When I google for turbines google shows exclusively opened turbine, most likely because everybody thinks turbines are only interresting enough for a photo if you open them up. Your turbine model looks like one of these opened up images. But they are boring and compact when in use (closed).
Due to limitations in MC's rendering engine, things render whether they are visible or not. The only time they do not render is when the entire TileEntity's render box is offscreen.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Then why not just tell it to not render if it has a casing? If there's already custom rendering code, it shouldn't be too difficult to add an if statement or comment out some lines. Although I'm not sure how the steam would enter the turbine if you did add a casing...