Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly all i know about rotarycraft is the basic things like how to make a extractor do all 4 stages at same time, how to automate my farms or how to make something excessive and pretty useless like an 32 woodcutter tree farm, to run from one single engine...
So i kinda doubt that i will ever be able to set something like that up.

Reactions: NegaNote

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
How big is an ingot? A cubic meter of ore (about 4000kg of ore) could easily have many ingots worth of metal there, but need advanced processing. Also, the extractor is in fact based off of a real ore processing system, a "steel ball mill".

Well, if you want to talk realisim on this front I have several problems with the extractor (over and above its multiple processes in a single step nature).

It is true that hematite ore can have an mineral load of up to 60% iron. And, given that 9 MC ingots can be combined to make a cube of metal, its not unreasonable to expect ~6 ingots of iron per processed iron ore (assuming its hematite). Other iron ores can have iron contents as low as 15% but lets assume hematite.

Now, its a mod mineral not vanilla, but Aluminium is typically extracted from bauxite ore - via a two step process - first to alimina, and then to aluminium via high temperature electrolysis.

Likewise, Silver is usually extracted as a 'trace' constituent of galena ore - which is usually far more predominantly lead.

Copper, Tin, and other common (modded) minecraft minerals all have different (real world) ore compositions, processing, and yields.

I do not bring this up as a criticism of a mod that I am enjoying loads. Its just - in a mod so focused on realism - it seems possible to step away from a 1 size fits all approach to ore processing, and actually build different ore processing setups for the various ores. Based on actual yields & processes. Its not that I need more excuses to expand my RoC workshop...

I do love the extractor. But it makes me feel just a little bit dirty when I smelt my diamond flakes to recover pristine diamonds.

Last edited:

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you want to talk realisim on this front I have several problems with the extractor (over and above its multiple processes in a single step nature).

It is true that hematite ore can have an mineral load of up to 60% iron. And, given that 9 MC ingots can be combined to make a cube of metal, its not unreasonable to expect ~6 ingots of iron per processed iron ore (assuming its hematite). Other iron ores can have iron contents as low as 15% but lets assume hematite.

Now, its a mod mineral not vanilla, but Aluminium is typically extracted from bauxite ore - via a two step process - first to alimina, and then to aluminium via high temperature electrolysis.

I do not bring this up as a criticism of a mod that I am enjoying loads. Its just - in a mod so focused on realism - it seems possible to step away from a 1 size fits all approach to ore processing, and actually build different ore processing setups for the various ores. Based on actual yields & processes. Its not that I need more excuses to expand my RoC workshop...

I do love the extractor. But it makes me feel just a little bit dirty when I smelt my diamond flakes to recover pristine diamonds.

This was something I kinda enjoyed about GT. It allowed you to derrive materials from others. Made advanced processing more interesting.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

Likewise, Silver is usually extracted as a 'trace' constituent of galena ore - which is usually far more predominantly lead.

Copper, Tin, and other common (modded) minecraft minerals all have different (real world) ore compositions, processing, and yields.

While various ores do indeed have their own processing methods, it would be gamebreakingly complex and difficult to require that in Minecraft. Additionally, it would all but make a good setup impossible - 100 machines, one for each ore - and would be extremely wasteful of computational resources.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1269288/STEPHEN-HAWKING-How-build-time-machine.html

Hawking talks about taking a quantum phoenominon and ripping it open until you can pull/push something through. Although admittedly this is still science fiction so I see your point.
The energies you need are far beyond what this reactor can produce, more on the order of "entire star's output over its lifetime".

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
TE conduits cannot handle even 1% of this; you need either RC shafts, tesseracts, universal cables, or something else.

Actually the high end conduits can carry this just fine. At 5million RF/t you'd need 500 connections to something. The connections are where the limit is. Each connection point can only transfer 10k in or out... so it may not be overly feasible <.< ... but now I feel the need to try cause ... well... its what I do.

And the new MFR chunkloader is using 2billion RF/t to load my base... sooo I can totally use the power.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the high end conduits can carry this just fine. At 5million RF/t you'd need 500 connections to something. The connections are where the limit is. Each connection point can only transfer 10k in or out... so it may not be overly feasible <.< ... but now I feel the need to try cause ... well... its what I do.

And the new MFR chunkloader is using 2billion RF/t to load my base... sooo I can totally use the power.

Would it be possible to go strait into a TE tesseract? Those dont have a limit on per face i/o like a conduit.

Wish TE3 had enderium conduit with no limit on the input face.

Barend

Jul 29, 2019
Looks great! Looking forward to it

So most of the fps drop is caused by rendering. If I have it chunkloaded in some faraway chunk or different dimension, how much lag will it create?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That is 12TW of power - about the world's power consumption....

Looks great! Looking forward to it

So most of the fps drop is caused by rendering. If I have it chunkloaded in some faraway chunk or different dimension, how much lag will it create?
Not much, unless your computer balks at doing math.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
we all reach that point where we think "why not?"
so to answer your question, yes, I'd defintely build this

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No, I wouldn't.

I would never need that much power generation, and would therefore not want to trade the resource load on the PC/server of all the infrastructure needed to run all that.

If all I played for was to "progress" through tech, then maybe this was a decent final project. But I play the game for so much more.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
I'd too would build it given enough resources plus computer hardware resources if one can consider a laptop a good computer... and I'd do it for fun so so much so I'd stick it into the same chamber where Big Reactors and Atomic Science Fusion reactor would be and possibly powering like... 20 MFR lasers?

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
An absolute requirement? I have no idea what would require that kind of power and fit in a realistic mod.

ACHIEVEMENT GET - GOD PARTICLE

say no more.

mca.png

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No, I wouldn't.
I would never need that much power generation, and would therefore not want to trade the resource load on the PC/server of all the infrastructure needed to run all that.
If all I played for was to "progress" through tech, then maybe this was a decent final project. But I play the game for so much more.
Resource load aside, there is indeed tech that can use this kind of power.

Have you considered making any purely asthetic additions that require stupid amounts of power to operate?
No, because I cannot see many people going this far for aesthetics.

jaycron

Jul 29, 2019
How about using the power for a massive particle accelerator that can make various things? And i know it may be a bit cliche after uu, but energy -> matter is about the only thing i can think off that could realistically take that much power.

Alternatively maybe the only way to destroy harmful reactor byproducts would be to spallate (destroy) them inside the accelerator. Then the type of accelerator would have to be a Synchrotron.

Reactions: jokermatt999